PDA

View Full Version : If you find using iOS 7 nauseating or just feels a bit off... Read this

syd430
Sep 23, 2013, 09:25 AM
I've been using iOS 7 on my iPad since beta 1 and while it still has its issues I never found the experience even slightly nauseating. That is why I was a bit surprised that upon finally installing it on my iPhone for the first time last week, I felt a bit uncomfortable or slightly unease with it after several hours of use. I wouldn't say I felt sick, but I just felt a bit put off.

At first I thought that maybe it was the animations, as has been discussed in another thread, but it just didn't make sense to me because after all, I had been using essentially the same OS on my iPad for a couple of months without any issues. I understand that for many it is very much the animations that are making people feel a bit off, but for me it turns out that it wasn't the case at all

Then I tried a setting being discussed in another thread - bold text (General -> Accessibly -> bold text). I found that after several hours of use that the slightly nauseating feeling that I was experiencing was gone.

I thought that maybe it was just a coincidence, after all it's only text, and apart from that I have absolutely perfect vision and have no problem reading the tiny thin text under the icons. So I tried a little experiment where I would switch between the two at the end of each day. I found that on the days that I didn't have the bold text enabled, the off-putting feeling would come back, and on the days that it was enabled, it would just feel a lot more right.

Sure it boldens text in almost every first party app (yes, text messages look a bit chunky now), but I think the main thing is that the small text under the icons now look closer to what I feel that they should have been it the first place. Again, to be clear, I can read the text perfectly even without setting enabled. I have excellent vision and have never needed to wear glasses, and I don't have issues with reading small text.

Here's a comparison with the setting enabled/disabled (yes looking at these pictures, which i've had to scale down, on a big monitor is mostly useless, but just to give you an idea):

http://i.imgur.com/XPDI2ik.png

In my opinion, the slight boldening of text in beta 3 didn't go far enough, especially because it didn't incorporate the text underneath icons. I really feel that it should of been shipped with bolder text from the start, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see this in a future release.

I know that many won't agree with me, but it somehow definitely made a big difference for me. At the very least, give it a try.

iF34R
Sep 23, 2013, 09:30 AM
I didn't even give the text a thought, other than it looking a little bland. Reading this, I enabled the bold text, and I like it a lot more. Thanks for the suggestion.

bp1000
Sep 23, 2013, 09:31 AM
As someone who is hyper sensitive to motion detected by the inner ear I've had occasional nauseating experiences with computer games in the past. These problem games are normally 3rd person with unrealistic movements or jerky frame rates with require your eyes to adjust many times within a few ms.

I've not had this at all with ios7

Also I can appreciate hard to read text can also cause eye strain leading to slight headaches and very mild nausea. I've not had this either but if your eyes are finding the low contrast and sharp fonts a problem then of course the extra accessibility options might indeed help.

abshole765
Sep 23, 2013, 09:36 AM
So its the text that's making you nauseated and not that background?