Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
A coworker of mine is looking for some help. I'm the go to Apple guy around here, so he asked me. I don't use the bookmark syncing that much, and don't have it tied to my work computer at all. He did and had years of bookmarks on his work computer. Then iCloud and iPhone 5 came along and he had all his bookmarks everywhere. Yesterday he says his wife updated her iDevice (I think an iPhone) to iOS 7. They share his Apple ID. Today all his bookmarks are gone from all devices, including his work computer. Is there any way for him to recover them? His phone uses iCloud for backups. Is there a way to see what those backups dates are? If I do restore his phone to the last backup prior to this event, will his bookmarks get pushed to the cloud or just instantly wiped from his phone again?

Thanks for any help.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Quick update; today he came in and said all his bookmarks are on his wife's phone. Not sure why it pulled them to her phone and wiped them from the cloud. I advised him to back up her phone, then go into the iCloud settings and try toggling Safari on to see if it asks to merge the 2. Hopefully that will push them back to the cloud. If not, that's what the backup was for. ;) Gotta figure out a way to push them back to his cloud so he can get them back to his computer. Though he did find a backup from 2011, so he has 80% of what he had lost recovered already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.