PDA

View Full Version : Siri and podcasts in IOS7

Paulyboy
Sep 23, 2013, 01:19 PM
In iOS 6 I was able to control podcasts through Siri just like you can with music (and now iTunes radio) but in iOS 7 Siri says "I can't play podcasts for you". Being that I'm severely disabled this is a pretty big deal for me. Using a Bluetooth voice-activated speakerphone I was able to start podcasts, pause them, and pretty much do anything I wanted with them. Now I can't do anything with them. Why on earth would they remove such functionality?

I'm fairly certain it has something to do with them finally separating podcasts into their own app outside of the music app but it seems like an oversight on their part that they forgot to tell Siri this. Am I missing something here?

-PN

HardyHamster
Sep 29, 2013, 04:50 PM
I spend a lot of time on the road and like to listen to my podcasts in the car.
I have been using Siri to control which podcasts to play using a hands free kit.
Not being able to do this is a real step backwards.
I wonder if Apple will ever bring this feature back. It rather spoils iOS7 for me.

NT1440
Sep 29, 2013, 04:54 PM
Given the complete lack of updating the podcast app, I have to (read: want to) believe that podcasts were given the back burner and full functionality with new features will be arriving shortly via a .x update.

I hope :(

Anonymouse106
Oct 2, 2013, 12:10 AM
I drive a lot and make it through the day thanks to podcasts. This omission really bums me out

Nevaborn
Oct 2, 2013, 12:40 PM
A lot of work needs doing with Siri,

iMacDragon
Nov 17, 2013, 01:02 PM
Looks like it's working with siri now via updated iOS 7 version of app

Paulyboy
Nov 19, 2013, 11:18 AM
Looks like it's working with siri now via updated iOS 7 version of app

Yup it's definitely working although a bit flaky. I can't seem to pause the podcast by voice but if I tell Siri to play something on iTunes radio and then pause that everything pauses. But hey at least it's hands-free now.

-PN

Paulyboy
Mar 11, 2014, 12:45 PM
Apple giveth and Apple taketh away. Siri doesn't recognize podcast again anymore.

"Sorry Paul, I can't play podcasts for you"

Being disabled this is a big deal for me. It's certainly going to cut down on my enjoyment of podcasts. This makes no sense at all. I'm getting really tired of this Apple.

-PN

iMacDragon
Mar 11, 2014, 01:32 PM
Guessing it's going awaiting a 7.1 update of podcast app again. As it only started working after podcast app update last time.