Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Sorry if this thread has been posted, but is it normal to have to calibrate the compass every time you open the app? This seems crazy and annoying to me. I just wanted to see if I wasn't alone here.

Thanks.

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
I have noticed this also. Not a huge "issue" for me, but I only had to do this once in past OS'...

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry if this thread has been posted, but is it normal to have to calibrate the compass every time you open the app? This seems crazy and annoying to me. I just wanted to see if I wasn't alone here.

Thanks.

Yup, just like how you always had to re-calibrate when you hit the follow me button on maps. Except now instead of the stupid figure 8 its just a turn.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Shouldn't have to. It's annoying, especially when you just want to use the level.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Thanks.

How often do you even use the compass? It was the same in iOS 6 when there was interference.

JimmyF

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
It's a good one too :) Made me delete the other level apps I had.

I recently got a 5S, the spirit level is off by about 5 degrees. I have tried calibrating the compass multiple times, but the level never seems to get calibrated...
If I tap, I can get a green screen (0 deg), but if I tap again, it shows -5deg.

Anyone else seen this problem - is there something else I can/should do to calibrate the level?

troop231

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
I recently got a 5S, the spirit level is off by about 5 degrees. I have tried calibrating the compass multiple times, but the level never seems to get calibrated...
If I tap, I can get a green screen (0 deg), but if I tap again, it shows -5deg.

Anyone else seen this problem - is there something else I can/should do to calibrate the level?

Bring it into an Apple store if you have a local one.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Thanks.

The compass in iOS 6 did this all the time. You'd get a "interference" warning and it would ask you to wave your phone around in a figure 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.