PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5s Running iOS 7 Frequent Reboot

jvdrummer182
Sep 23, 2013, 01:49 PM
My iPhone 5s already has 24 logs in the diagnostic and usage section of the settings -> general -> about

I frequently get a blue screen and then the phone reboots. Frequent, meaning about once every 2-3 hours. I notice it happens more often when I'm switching from one app to another.

teknikal90
Sep 23, 2013, 01:49 PM
My iPhone 5s already has 24 logs in the diagnostic and usage section of the settings -> general -> about

I frequently get a blue screen and then the phone reboots. Frequent, meaning about once every 2-3 hours. I notice it happens more often when I'm switching from one app to another.

did you set up as a new phone or from a back up

jvdrummer182
Sep 23, 2013, 01:53 PM
icloud restore. i guess i should wipe it and start from scratch?

ionjohn
Sep 23, 2013, 01:55 PM
Did you think about contacting Apple? That could be a good idea you know ;)

jvdrummer182
Sep 23, 2013, 01:58 PM
i wanted to share the issue and see if anyone else has been experiencing something similar. If I call apple or bring it to a genius bar, i'm sure they will tell me to restore it and set it up as a new device. Anytime I've had an iOS software issue, I have gotten that same instruction from Apple

ionjohn
Sep 23, 2013, 02:01 PM
i wanted to share the issue and see if anyone else has been experiencing something similar. If I call apple or bring it to a genius bar, i'm sure they will tell me to restore it and set it up as a new device. Anytime I've had an iOS software issue, I have gotten that same instruction from Apple

Tell them you've done that already, they'll give you a brand new phone.

jvdrummer182
Sep 23, 2013, 02:14 PM
do you think they have replacement 5s's yet?

oVerboost
Sep 23, 2013, 02:20 PM

If it's a 16gb space grey, then yes probably...

ionjohn
Sep 23, 2013, 02:22 PM

they'll juste open a box and give you a brand new one

Max(IT)
Sep 23, 2013, 02:27 PM
Never had a reboot with my iPhone 5.
I had just 4-5 with previous iPhone 4S.

Contact apple, I think you got a faulty one.

jrswizzle
Sep 23, 2013, 02:29 PM
Are you on 7.0 or 7.0.1?

The 5S and 5C were loaded with iOS 7 before Apple had some of the bugs ironed out and therefore require another update.

The rest were able to get those fixes implemented with the public iOS 7.0 release.

I have the 5S, running 7.0.1 and have had ZERO issue. Battery life is great, fingerprint works great, slomo is fun - everything is silky smooth and lightning quick.

Really couldn't be happier with this phone!

EDIT: I did a restore from a 5 running a beta of iOS 7.0 and have had no issues.

jvdrummer182
Sep 24, 2013, 07:00 AM
I'm running 7.0.1 and have a gold 64 GB 5s

syd430
Sep 24, 2013, 07:12 AM

Don't bother, mine is not restored from a backup and it does the same thing. My iPad 4 reboots frequently too on iOS 7. Not sure why you would even think a replacement is going to make a difference.

dhlizard
Sep 24, 2013, 07:17 AM
I have two iPhone 5 phones, both on 7.0.1, both set up as new.

Neither has ever crashed nor rebooted.

You definitely have some issue as that is not normal for any model of iPhone.

I suggest you get started on having them get you a replacement phone

uhaas
Sep 24, 2013, 07:31 AM

I'm getting the same thing with a 4S. I realized its Infinity Blade III trying to load/install. I'm not sure if it's the game, or the huge package it comes in.

jvdrummer182
Sep 24, 2013, 08:54 AM
my phone crashed and rebooted 4 times within 10 minutes this morning. i have at most 4 apps open and the reboot started while i was switching from one app to another. i have a genius bar appointment tonight for a hardware repair or replacement. i highly doubt they will have another gold 64 GB to replace mine. I will let you know how it is handled

WoodrowCall
Sep 24, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mine is just locking up on me when it's asleep. I'll go to unlock it, and nothing will happen. I have to reset it by holding down the sleep/wake button. It's happened two or three times in the past 48 hours now.

mkstevenskm
Sep 24, 2013, 10:42 AM

Experienced the exact same issue (reboots including a blue screen of death!). Mine occurred when trying to use Airdrop with an iPhone 5 Verizon running iOS 7.0.0.

My Stats:
-iPhone 5s 64 GB AT&T
-Issue occurred on iOS 7.0.1
-iPhone was setup as a new iPhone, no restore or carry forward of past iOS versions.

Since the error only occured during Airdrop, I am hoping it is a software issue and not hardware.

jvdrummer182
Sep 24, 2013, 09:45 PM
i had my iPhone replaced, got home and restored from icloud, opened up numbers, switched to another app, .....and..... blue screen and reboot...

E2EK1EL
Sep 24, 2013, 10:03 PM
Which app is giving you guys the BSOD?

iPhone 5s BSOD

http://youtu.be/DNw457joq5I

jvdrummer182
Sep 25, 2013, 12:13 PM
I'm having the same issue with Pages and Numbers

jvdrummer182
Sep 26, 2013, 02:00 PM
I worked with a senior apple advisor about the issue this morning. He was able to recreate the issue on a test device and has forwarded the problem to the iOS team. I will update when I find out more information.

sirgromit
Sep 26, 2013, 03:11 PM
I've had my 5s for a little over 24 hours and just experienced this very thing for the first time while using Apple's Pages app. Had just updated to 7.0.2 as well.

pleomorph
Sep 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
I'm having the same issue with Pages and Numbers

Just to add my experience: I also had my phone go to a blue screen and then reboot when using the Pages app. It is a 32GB iPhone 5S setup as a new device.

charlituna
Sep 27, 2013, 02:28 PM

Actually they might not. In fact take all your gear, box etc with you. First week or so of a new launch they are rather keen to get whole units for failure testing. And often so it with a retail swap. They keep a small number of each model aside for this with strict rules that not even the SL can simply sell them.

And even if they aren't doing them as full retails anymore there might still be some issues they have been told to swap right off at this point. Backup, make appt and see what they say.

Also the number of logs isn't the point so much as what type. Some could be simply the system recording a failure to connect to a server and not a real error. Still DO NOT hard restart or restore the phone before the appt. and don't so any software updates. They all tend to erase some or all of the data needed. Let the tech see it before telling you to do restore.

----------

i had my iPhone replaced, got home and restored from icloud, opened up numbers, switched to another app, .....and..... blue screen and reboot...

Curious, does this happen when you switch out of a native app. Or just the iWork's ones.
They haven't been updated, as have several other 'paid' apps. Perhaps that is the issue