Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Just to let any potential dock buyers know that the iPhone 5(s) dock is really unforgiving. I have a 0.3mm thick case and it won't fit in the dock. There's barely any wiggle room and the lightning connector is positioned so that the phone can only just squeeze in at the right angle. A slight addition to the back side of the phone causes it not to fit.

I do love the dock though, missed having one before!

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
That's why I ordered this:

71pp-Hhch7L._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E3ALGVA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Nice dock.....is the lightning connector on it thin and long enough to fit the Apple leather case?

Donia330i

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
The naked phone barely fits. I have an invisible shield installed and it was super tight. It started to pull the clear protector off at the bottom. You would think there would be enough room for some screen protectors...

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Nice dock.....is the lightning connector on it thin and long enough to fit the Apple leather case?

The HiRise? It docks with the OtterBox Defender on it, so I'm pretty positive it'll work for the leather iPhone case. It's designed to dock the phone with a variety of cases with the clips provided.

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Will that stand work with longer third party lightning cables? I was thinking of picking up a six foot lightning cable off of Amazon along with that dock.

They only promise compatibility with Apple Lightning cables. You can't be 100% sure with third party because of the clips. Isn't Apple blocking them now, anyways?

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
They only promise compatibility with Apple Lightning cables. You can't be 100% sure with third party. Isn't Apple blocking them now, anyways?

Apple does certify third party cables through their MFi (Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad) licensing program. Amazon sells a few cables including one themselves which is supposedly MFi certified.

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Apple does certify third party cables through their MFi (Made for iPhone/iPod/iPad) licensing program. Amazon sells a few cables including one themselves which is supposedly MFi certified.

I was reading a review and they said that a third party MFi-certified Lightning cable they had didn't work because it was too wide for the clips.

nioted

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
For the clips? What clips?

watch the installation video and you'll see the clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrixF661xJA

----------

I have the dock, its pretty damn cool. Its adjustable to just about any kind of case expect for the lifeproof fre case since there is a cover for the lightning port. I actually bought a 3rd party non certified cable that's 10 feet long. Visibly it looks the same size as apple cable but when I tried to install it, I had to really force it in there unlike the official apple cable. My suggestion if you want to get a longer cable just buy a USB extender male to female. I'm really loving this dock, its beautiful and really shows off the iPhone 5S.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
watch the installation video and you'll see the clips

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrixF661xJA

----------

I have the dock, its pretty damn cool. Its adjustable to just about any kind of case expect for the lifeproof fre case since there is a cover for the lightning port. I actually bought a 3rd party non certified cable that's 10 feet long. Visibly it looks the same size as apple cable but when I tried to install it, I had to really force it in there unlike the official apple cable. My suggestion if you want to get a longer cable just buy a USB extender male to female. I'm really loving this dock, its beautiful and really shows off the iPhone 5S.

This is my plan, I ordered one and will be using the apple cable with a cheap usb extension cable. I get the length I need and don't have to worry about a 3rd party cable.

og3og

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Yonkers, NY USA
Apple now sells 2m lightning cables, so roughly 6.5 feet long. Picked one up at an Apple store in NJ on Friday night for $29.99.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
This has usually been the case, they are "precision crafted" for the iphone 5. I have really loved my twelve south hi rise, it is a great dock, the only downside is that it is a little pricy and doesn't come with a cable. Other than that, it is fun to assemble and fits great even with cases. It works with ipads as well.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Got my hi rise along with my 5s this morning and have to say it's an amazing dock. I'll do pics when I get home tonight if anyone is interested (sadly sans the red leather case, it won't be delivered til Friday)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.