PDA

View Full Version : Apple is allowing invasive ads throughout the OS now?!? Seriously!?!

shenan1982
Sep 23, 2013, 03:36 PM
Wow so I was browsing twice today and an ad popped up. It's an iOS 7 pop up ad and I was absolutely shocked. I paid $900 for my phone I do not feel right about apple making money on advertising on me in this way. If I can't turn this off or opt out its farewell iOS.

First time I thought it was the we page I was on but I was in the Apple Store app. This time it was while in safari on Mac rumors of all sites.

Tyler23
Sep 23, 2013, 03:38 PM
Wow so I was browsing twice today and an ad popped up. It's an iOS 7 pop up ad and I was absolutely shocked. I paid $900 for my phone I do not feel right about apple making money on advertising on me in this way. If I can't turn this off or opt out its farewell iOS.

First time I thought it was the we page I was on but I was in the Apple Store app. This time it was while in safari on Mac rumors of all sites.

It's coming through a third party app or from Safari.

djtech42
Sep 23, 2013, 03:42 PM
It's an ad from a website

charlituna
Sep 23, 2013, 03:45 PM
It's an ad from a website

yep. Set up as a 'fake' alert. Which is why even if you have safari in the background they can still pop up. Or it can be triggered by a game or such that you have in the background. I've seen it a lot and tend to erase those games as a form of protest.

E2EK1EL
Sep 23, 2013, 03:58 PM
I got the same warning on iOS 7 and iOS 6 a last month and still it pops up on iOS 6, even today.

shenan1982
Sep 23, 2013, 03:58 PM
yep. Set up as a 'fake' alert. Which is why even if you have safari in the background they can still pop up. Or it can be triggered by a game or such that you have in the background. I've seen it a lot and tend to erase those games as a form of protest.

I don't have nor have ever had candy crush and no other apps were running when it popped up on top of the apple store app.

djtech42
Sep 23, 2013, 04:00 PM
I don't have nor have ever had candy crush and no other apps were running when it popped up on top of the apple store app.

It's a push notification, so the apps don't need to be running in the background.

Daveoc64
Sep 23, 2013, 04:01 PM
It's a push notification, so the apps don't need to be running in the background.

It's not a push notification.

It's just a simple JavaScript alert.

djtech42
Sep 23, 2013, 04:02 PM
It's not a push notification.

It's just a simple JavaScript alert.

I thought the OP was implying that they didn't have Safari running when the Apple Store app was running.

shenan1982
Sep 23, 2013, 04:04 PM
I thought the OP was implying that they didn't have Safari running when the Apple Store app was running.

Correct. That was the only thing running the first time I got an ad. Was for a car so clearly not an app ad. Lol

charlituna
Sep 23, 2013, 04:06 PM
I don't have nor have ever had candy crush

it wasn't from candy crush, it was from some other app advertising candy crush.

and no other apps were running when it popped up on top of the apple store app.

open an app that has push notifications in it and even if the app it closed it does the same thing.

shenan1982
Sep 23, 2013, 04:13 PM
it wasn't from candy crush, it was from some other app advertising candy crush.

open an app that has push notifications in it and even if the app it closed it does the same thing.

Never seen this before. No privacy control setting or opt out? Seems like it would have to disclose which app is aending this out.

Hankster
Sep 23, 2013, 04:16 PM
Never seen this before. No privacy control setting or opt out? Seems like it would have to disclose which app is aending this out.

Head to your notifications and turn off all the apps you don't want notifications from. You may also need to go into the app itself and turn off notifications. Often times game apps will have a setting where it allows them to push ads to your phone.

I turn off all notifications besides text and email.

djtech42
Sep 23, 2013, 04:17 PM

You think this would be against terms and conditions for App Store. I'm not a developer so I don't know, but this seems like it is against the rules.

BlueKhufu
Sep 23, 2013, 04:18 PM

Try settings - safari - then clear cookies and history, make sure block pop ups is on. I'm finding some other references around regarding this exact ad. It is most definitely not apple doing it.

Here is another forum getting it.. http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=824079

RabidMacFan
Sep 23, 2013, 04:30 PM
Looks like an ad that a company placed on macrumors website. Try installing Disconnect Kids, it can help with some ad trackers especially those that come with games.

https://www.disconnect.me/kids