Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lefty224

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
I went from a 4S to 5S last Friday. I backed up my 4S using iCloud.

When i did an iCloud restore backup on the 5S, it shows that it's still in the process of restoring. It's been 4 days since it has started. It looked like everything was transferred (except music) since the first 2 hours of the restore last Friday. I have been on wifi and the speed is 16MB/s download speed.

Should i terminate the restore? What could be the issue?

thanks for any help out there.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

When i did an iCloud restore backup on the 5S, it shows that it's still in the process of restoring. It's been 4 days since it has started. It looked like everything was transferred (except music) since the first 2 hours of the restore last Friday. I have been on wifi and the speed is 16MB/s download speed.

Have you been on wifi the whole time? Do you have a lot of photos?

I've had a similar thing happen. Open Settings --> General --> About and watch it for a little while, see if the number next to Photos is increasing.

lefty224

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Have you been on wifi the whole time? Do you have a lot of photos?

I've had a similar thing happen. Open Settings --> General --> About and watch it for a little while, see if the number next to Photos is increasing.

I compared my 4s and the 5s and it looks like all the photo files have been switched over.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I'm having the same issue. It seems like everything's done (it's been 12 hours so I hope so, I only had a 2.2GB backup)... and it still says restoring...???!!!

iCloud has had a ZERO percent success rate in terms of me restoring from a backup. It's terrible in my opinion, I don't know why Apple can't get it right. And when I upgraded to iOS 7 on my old 4S (just got a 5S yesterday) the upgrade failed for some reason that was unknown to Apple support even... I thought Apple was good because "It Just Works".... =/

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm having the same issue. It seems like everything's done (it's been 12 hours so I hope so, I only had a 2.2GB backup)... and it still says restoring...???!!!

iCloud has had a ZERO percent success rate in terms of me restoring from a backup. It's terrible in my opinion, I don't know why Apple can't get it right. And when I upgraded to iOS 7 on my old 4S (just got a 5S yesterday) the upgrade failed for some reason that was unknown to Apple support even... I thought Apple was good because "It Just Works".... =/

I've completely restored my iPhone from an iCloud backup 10-15 times and every time it has worked perfectly.

I know it doesn't help you, but just saying, it's not that it doesn't work for anybody..

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
is your music MATCH? I don't think the cloud backs up non-MATCH music - that is synced from iTunes.

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I've completely restored my iPhone from an iCloud backup 10-15 times and every time it has worked perfectly.

I know it doesn't help you, but just saying, it's not that it doesn't work for anybody..

Any tips, then?

My backup seemed to go indefinitely so I just manually stopped it, and hoping that everything is fine. I might call Applecare later to see what they say. I don't know if it's worth it to retry the whole restore process or if things are okay after all

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico

Just chiming in to say that I have the same problem. All of my photos appear to be there, and I've put back all of my songs but two, which both continue to error out when trying to download them in the Music app. If those two are the only thing holding the backup session open, I can kill it and just stream those two songs from iTunes in the Cloud, though I wanted them locally because I'm not always in places that have adequate coverage for that (plus, can you imagine your data usage if you only played music via the cloud?).

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i recommend backing up to icloud, but i never restore from it. youre better off restoring from an itunes backup or starting as new with a new device. if i were you, i could start over as new and only use icloud for contacts.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Though that may help going forward, it doesn't solve the current problem.

sure it helps, i answered his question. i told him to restore the phone as new, and only use icloud for contacts and then set the phone up as new. this is why i will back up to icloud, but the restores always seem to be sketchy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.