Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BackTwoMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Anyone else having this problem? Any known fixes? Netflix is also no longer tracking my 'recently watched' shows, but I don't know if that's a separate issue.

DSL Steve

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2005
I did see this on my ATV 2 after the first 6.0 update but have not seen it since the second 6.0 update.

BTW-Both 6.0 updates went without any issues for me.

Last edited:

BarkingGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Atlanta+35 miles
Anyone else having this problem? Any known fixes? Netflix is also no longer tracking my 'recently watched' shows, but I don't know if that's a separate issue.

After the first Atv3 update I began seeing issues in which the HDMI handshaking would fail. I tested this on five flat panel TVs and two video projectors. Now, I have two of these Atv3, one bought at launch online and the other at launch in the retail store. Both exhibited the exact same problem.

If I let the issue persist (not intervened) the Atv3 unit would reboot itself and the problem would disappear--until the next time I sit down and turn it on. This went on for a full year. Then either the last update or the one before it fixed the problem. I now use the Atv3 units regularly.

It sucked not being able to fix the problem and essentially paying for the unit and not getting reliable service for a year later. BTW, I did try several different HDMI cables from cheap ones working with 1080P Blu-ray transport (at high bit rates, too) to bloatware like Monster Cable. And considering the variety of manufacturers in the TVs and projectors I say the one common denominator was the Atv3 firmware.

DSL Steve

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2005
I'm going to change my last comment, I've seen it happen twice while watching a Netflix movie with the latest 6.0 (second version) update (on a ATV2).

Its not a regular reboot, its a very short, 5-10 second reboot with the front panel light blinking. When its finished, it goes back to ATV main screeen.

As I said in my previous post, I had no issues with both the 6.0 updates. Both installed flawlessly.

maclifeyou

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2013
yes.I had no issues with both the 6.0 updates. Both installed flawlessly.
QP

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I'm having this issue too since the update. My Apple TV worked flawlessly since launch before this. :mad: It now randomly flashes, sometimes a totally green screen, then comes back. This is happening while watching video from my iMac's iTunes library via Home Sharing.

Any ideas guys? Do I need to restore? :( Will that fix it back? Maybe re-do the update? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.