PDA

View Full Version : Dictionary not working for me on iOS7, how about you?

WhiteIphone5
Sep 23, 2013, 07:37 PM
I have downloaded the apple dictionary, found on Manage option when defining a word.
Every time I want to see the definition of a word it says " no definition found" anyone else?

iPad mini, iOS 7
And yes I do have an active internet service.

felixen
Sep 27, 2013, 10:38 AM
Doesn't work for me either. What's up?

Fantasigraphic
Sep 27, 2013, 11:37 AM
It works! When you define a word look in bottom left corner and click MANAGE. The download the dictionary you want/need

**** EDIT ****

JUst re-read your post... NO the Apple dictionary doesn't work, but rest do!

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8017/5ruk.jpg

jprmercado
Sep 27, 2013, 01:02 PM
I have downloaded the apple dictionary, found on Manage option when defining a word.
Every time I want to see the definition of a word it says " no definition found" anyone else?

iPad mini, iOS 7
And yes I do have an active internet service.

The Apple dictionary only defines Apple products.

What you want is the New Oxford American Dictionary or the Oxford Dictionary of English (UK English).

MisterPunchy
Sep 27, 2013, 01:17 PM
Ya, looks like you just need to hit "Manage" and then download the ones you want. My iPhone had the English and Apple dictionaries already installed, but my iPad needed them to be installed after the ios7 update.

jimthing
Oct 15, 2013, 11:32 AM
I suggest you download (in THIS ORDER):

1) English US
2) English UK
3) Apple Dictionary

Then definitions results will display in the REVERSE order, only provided the particular dictionary has a result in it for the word asked. i.e.:

1) Apple Dictionary
2) English UK
3) English US

NB: you may want to swap the two English's around depending on which you want to display first (I'm British, so I prefer to have that first, given I deal predominantly in that, but like US for spelling differences et al.)

I have to say this thing is buggy though. You have to tap the cloud/cross button several times to get it to work properly, even on iPhone 5S.
AND they haven't offered the ordering options, so you have to do each in the REVERSE order you want to see them in not very clever that idea Apple!

djtech42
Oct 15, 2013, 11:45 AM
I suggest you download (in THIS ORDER):

1) English US
2) English UK
3) Apple Dictionary

Then definitions results will display in the REVERSE order, only provided the particular dictionary has a result in it for the word asked. i.e.:

1) Apple Dictionary
2) English UK
3) English US

NB: you may want to swap the two English's around depending on which you want to display first (I'm British, so I prefer to have that first, given I deal predominantly in that, but like US for spelling differences et al.)

I have to say this thing is buggy though. You have to tap the cloud/cross button several times to get it to work properly, even on iPhone 5S.
AND they haven't offered the ordering options, so you have to do each in the REVERSE order you want to see them in not very clever that idea Apple!

Hopefully this becomes more user-friendly. Was dictionary managing in iOS 6?