PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 5 users w' reduced battery life: what's your carrier?

Retired Cat
Sep 23, 2013, 08:16 PM
The Ars Technica article on iOS 7, and some anecdotal evidence suggests that the Verizon CDMA iPhone 5 is affected by the battery life bug, while iPhones from the GSM carriers are not affected.

Thought if conduct an informal poll: if your iPhone 5 is seeing much worse battery life after the iOS 7 update, which carrier are you on?

iapplelove
Sep 23, 2013, 08:19 PM
This may or may not help but I'm on AT&T and I get exceptionally better battery than before. i5 and I would be the first to criticize the battery life if it was subpar .

dictoresno
Sep 23, 2013, 08:28 PM
verizon here, and im getting 2-3 hours shorter usage than i was on ios 6. 4-5 hours vs 8-10.

sunking101
Sep 23, 2013, 08:30 PM
O2 in the UK and I'm getting 2-2.5 hours less usage time despite two clean installs and all the things we need to switch off, off.

McPc
Sep 23, 2013, 10:50 PM
I'm on Verizon and getting significantly shorter battery life after iOS7 :mad:

Finally going to have to resort to carrying my charger with me to work to give a mid-day charge.

Cergman
Sep 23, 2013, 10:54 PM
The Ars Technica article on iOS 7, and some anecdotal evidence suggests that the Verizon CDMA iPhone 5 is affected by the battery life bug, while iPhones from the GSM carriers are not affected.

Thought if conduct an informal poll: if your iPhone 5 is seeing much worse battery life after the iOS 7 update, which carrier are you on?

I'm was on an iPhone 5 GSM from AT&T. Battery life in iOS 6 was far superior than that of iOS 7. Just picked up an iPhone 5S, and hopefully the battery will be improved!

Max(IT)
Sep 23, 2013, 11:05 PM
Vodafone here in Italy and I'm experiencing a slightly shorter battery life. Unfortunately I'm unable to find out if it's just me using the phone in a different way due to the new iOS (that I love).

LaZyFLiP
Sep 23, 2013, 11:21 PM
I usually keep my battery percent off so I'm not always 'monitoring' it but since I've updated to iOS 7, I've started to notice a pretty significant drop in battery life just basing off the battery gauge. I was previously jailbroken and my battery life then was pretty good. I haven't proactively done anything to try to make it any better. I still have all the settings set at pretty much stock configuration. Daily usage is pretty much the same as before. I'll probably start monitoring more closely and see how it all plays out. I'm on AT&T, BTW.

Apollo 13
Sep 24, 2013, 01:02 AM
my verizoz iphone 5 is worst.

Apollo 13
Sep 24, 2013, 01:54 AM
You know what i think its sucks more because im using it more. Ios 7 is just so fresh for me. Once i go back to using my phone normally the battery should be fine.

decafjava
Sep 24, 2013, 03:01 AM
Sunrise here in Switzerland, and yes it is worse, even now settling back into normal usage patterns.

Ottoman1
Sep 24, 2013, 03:10 AM
AT&T - worse

My phone has died or nearly died each evening since the update. This rarely if ever happened before. My iPhone is usually charging from 10 pm to 6 am. I do use my phone quite a bit.

Macman45
Sep 24, 2013, 03:12 AM
O2 in the UK and I'm getting 2-2.5 hours less usage time despite two clean installs and all the things we need to switch off, off.

Also with O2 here in the UK..battery life seems about the same as it was under 6....Using an IP5 32GB which is up for sale. Waiting on my Gold 5S!

BOOmBoTz401
Sep 24, 2013, 05:39 AM
Verizon iPhone 5 here...

Battery life has taken a nose dive

Retired Cat
Sep 24, 2013, 05:50 AM
Hmm, I guess there may be no carrier specific bug then, since CDMA and GSM phones are affected. Hope there's a patch for this soon.

muon25
Sep 24, 2013, 06:28 AM
Orange Israel and battery life seems worse.

sunking101
Sep 24, 2013, 06:40 AM
Also with O2 here in the UK..battery life seems about the same as it was under 6....Using an IP5 32GB which is up for sale. Waiting on my Gold 5S!

That's crazy. With iOS6 my phone performed flawlessly but now, even after two clean installs, the battery life is tragic.

Igantius
Sep 24, 2013, 07:08 AM
Iím with EE but my problems appear to be hardware related.

After speaking to Apple at the weekend, itís agreed to replace the battery or handset. I ran a diagnostic tool via the Support site (when booking a call) which indicated a hardware problem Ė and when I spoke to the advisor, another one was run. I also advised that I had calibrated the battery and tried a fresh install Ė and when I was then asked about screen brightness, confirmed that I have it on low as I donít like it bright!

Before upgrading, I suspect that battery life had been getting worse but hadnít thought much of it as it wasnít impacting on how I used it (i.e. I wasnít having to charge noticeably than normal) although I thought it didnít seem to be as strong as usual. In future, Iíll be paying more attention!

As well as lower battery life, the battery left indicator is a lot more off than previous Ė for example, when it went down to 10% yesterday, the iPhone almost immediately turned itself off.

webitorgal
Sep 24, 2013, 07:21 AM
Rogers.

Sodner
Sep 24, 2013, 07:35 AM
AT&T and its much shorter.

Anyone see the Ars Technica review on iOS 7? For some reason the iPhone 5 on iOS 7 fared the worst out of every model of phone. It was so bad they ran the test twice just to be sure.

"Nothing does as poorly as the iPhone 5, though. It’s not even close. The iOS 7 numbers were so bad that I assumed I made some kind of mistake, so I completely re-flashed the phone and ran our test again with the same result, nearly down to the minute (I then did the same with iOS 6 to confirm). Our Verizon iPhone 5 running iOS 7 burns through its battery more than three hours faster than the exact same phone performing the exact same test with the exact same settings under iOS 6. Other devices lose little enough that most people probably won’t notice the problem, but it’s puzzling that Apple’s most recent flagship is so negatively impacted. We hope it doesn’t bode poorly for the largely identical iPhone 5C."

webitorgal
Sep 24, 2013, 07:39 AM
AT&T and its much shorter.

Anyone see the Ars Technica review on iOS 7? For some reason the iPhone 5 on iOS 7 fared the worst out of every model of phone. It was so bad they ran the test twice just to be sure.

"Nothing does as poorly as the iPhone 5, though. Itís not even close. The iOS 7 numbers were so bad that I assumed I made some kind of mistake, so I completely re-flashed the phone and ran our test again with the same result, nearly down to the minute (I then did the same with iOS 6 to confirm). Our Verizon iPhone 5 running iOS 7 burns through its battery more than three hours faster than the exact same phone performing the exact same test with the exact same settings under iOS 6. Other devices lose little enough that most people probably wonít notice the problem, but itís puzzling that Appleís most recent flagship is so negatively impacted. We hope it doesnít bode poorly for the largely identical iPhone 5C."

Maybe that's why they replaced the 5 with the 5C.

Zaft
Sep 24, 2013, 07:46 AM
this is odd. my battery has stayed the same. im on sprint

sunking101
Sep 24, 2013, 07:48 AM
If so then they have a duty of care to iPhone 5 owners. We are a huge group and the next 'batch' of upgraders when our contracts come up for renewal. This is my third iPhone and it will be my last unless Apple sort this battery life out. The iPhone 5 was Apple's flagship and it was still their top of the range handset only one week ago. I have had nothing but problems with the i5. My first three were badly scratched out of the box and I experienced hassle in swapping them. The one I have now has loose volume buttons but I put up with them as I considered myself 'lucky' that at least I didn't have any scratches. This just wasn't good enough for a £600 handset! Now some three months into ownership, Apple see fit to release an operating system which has knocked over 2 hours off my battery usage time. This is frankly scandalous and have they acknowledged the problem? No, they remain silent as always so we don't even know if a fix is coming.

JetBlack7
Sep 24, 2013, 07:56 AM
Vodafone and having same or better battery life than IOS 6.

sunking101
Sep 24, 2013, 07:58 AM
Vodafone and having same or better battery life than IOS 6.

Does updating carrier settings have anything to do with this? Did everyone who is having decent battery life update their carrier settings?

JetBlack7
Sep 24, 2013, 08:02 AM
Does updating carrier settings have anything to do with this? Did everyone who is having decent battery life update their carrier settings?

Unfortunately i don't know. I updated the carrier settings after a clean intall from the official IOS 7 seed and experiencing same or better battery life.

Igantius
Sep 24, 2013, 08:23 AM
Ö have they acknowledged the problem? No, they remain silent as always so we don't even know if a fix is coming.

If there is a problem and Apple said there was but they donít know how to fix it or how long the fix will take, would that make things better? Would people without problems start thinking there was something wrong? In the past, it has kept quiet as you say, but when itís spoken on the subject and offered a solution, itís tended to be a considered response Ė personally, I prefer that.

Donít get me wrong, Iíve had issues in the past and would love to get them sorted as quickly as possible. However, we donít know how common this problem is and itís not that easy to get an idea of the extent of a problem just by threads such as these.

No difference to me Ė as mentioned, my problem is at hardware related and it might be that the software has nothing to do with that, though.

rotlex
Sep 24, 2013, 08:27 AM
ATT. Notably better on an iPhone 5. Phone lasts me a full day now, 5am to say 10pm without mid day recharge.

webitorgal
Sep 24, 2013, 08:37 AM
For those who say that their battery life has improved, how many apps are you running? What are your settings?

scottytwo
Sep 24, 2013, 08:59 AM
If you're not on a 5C/5s, turn wifi off when you're not using it, and cellular data off when you're not using it.

Until they refine it, mutipath tcp is not so hot for ip5 and earlier. There also seems to be a Facebook secure login loop that occurs in background, despite whether you have an account registered in settings / app installed. I have contacted the dev with the particular app I am using to check my connections, but it looks like my devices are trying to login to Facebook a few times every minute.

I've confirmed and replicated it on freshly restored devices on genuine builds of 6 and 7.. without any user interaction ios contacts facebook secure login, establishes a connection and without the right credentials it gets the boot.

Device loops and retries less than 30 seconds later.

As a result CPU load on A5 increases by 15-20% during these times. Wifi never goes into low power mode and over 3G the persistent establishment of connection leads to further uptime and drain.

If you have bad coverage you may have an increase in the number of retries, leading to greater demand on radio and CPU.

If it is not the monitoring app doing it itself, unless apple investigate and recognise its real potential to waste cycles, we are all stuck with it. I've read in several places about the Facebook app doing a lot in the background (here's one http://www.tuaw.com/2013/06/04/developer-suspects-facebook-app-is-behind-iphone-battery-drain/ )

If what I've seemed to have found is consistent with that, then ios is the culprit, not the app.

Gypsy36
Sep 24, 2013, 09:18 AM
Tell me about the Facebook loop please. I have deleted my app but have made a home page button for Facebook in Safari. Will it still run my battery?

spidertaker23
Sep 24, 2013, 09:48 AM
I have a Verizon iPhone 5 32gb and I am having this problem. It seems to only have awful battery life with WIFI enabled. It sucks because I haven't updated my wife's iPhone 5 vz 32gb because of this. It is ruining my enjoyment of iOS 7. Especially since I just bought a new WIFI router and I can't even enjoy it :(.

I am getting a 5s this week so it won't matter for me. But, this is still a pretty big oversight by Apple during beta testing. I really want to update my wife's iPhone 5. I had to tell my boss not to update her vz iPhone 5 because of this.

scottytwo
Sep 24, 2013, 09:54 AM
If what I'm seeing is legit, then deleting the app won't make a difference. That said, what's effecting me might not be effecting you.

Try turning wifi off when you're using 3G, and turn 3G off when you're on wifi for longer than a few minutes. See if that helps.

http://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2012/paper/cellnet/p31.pdf

tazdevl
Sep 24, 2013, 09:59 AM
Verizon iPhone 5. 2 hours less.

Macman45
Sep 24, 2013, 10:01 AM
That's crazy. With iOS6 my phone performed flawlessly but now, even after two clean installs, the battery life is tragic.

That is odd...I've gone through another day and I do tend to write things down...battery life is the same..you haven't accidentally turned on BT or anything else from the swipe up menu have you? I did that at first.

socco
Sep 24, 2013, 10:37 AM
It seems to be about the same as my jailbroken iPhone 4.

Locolife
Sep 24, 2013, 10:54 AM
AT&T and my IPhone 5 is dying much quicker.

sunking101
Sep 24, 2013, 10:58 AM
That is odd...I've gone through another day and I do tend to write things down...battery life is the same..you haven't accidentally turned on BT or anything else from the swipe up menu have you? I did that at first.

No. I've got more settings switched off on iOS7 than I ever had on iOS6 and still I'm two hours+ down on usage time. This absolutely stinks.