Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe today released new versions of Photoshop and Premiere Elements, its lower-cost photo and video editing software aimed at consumers. Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 have been revamped with several new features, focusing heavily on mobile integration.
"Our customers have a lot of photos and videos, and they love to use their home computers to organize them and be creative, but they also want the freedom and flexibility to view, edit and share on their mobile devices," said Lea Hickman, vice president products, Creative Consumer Business, Adobe. "Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 will provide customers with the best of both worlds, quickly, easily and at their discretion."
Both Photoshop and Premiere Elements 12 offer Mobile Albums, allowing the software to integrate with Revel, Adobe's cloud photo storage solution. With Revel support, Elements 12 users are provided with access to their photos and videos on all of their devices.

Photos edited in Revel sync with Photoshop Elements, and vice versa, while Revel support for Premiere allows seamless mobile video uploads. Sharing photos and videos has been enhanced, allowing content to be posted to Facebook, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter, and more, directly from the Editor.

PSE-Mobile-Album-Edit-1.jpg
Photoshop Elements 12 offers several new editing features including Content-Aware Move, Pet Eye Correction, Auto Smart Tone, and Quick Frames, Effects, and Textures.

Content-Aware Move is a smart editing tool that autofills the background of an object that has been moved within a photo, allowing for quick edits. The functionality is bundled into a new Straighten Tool as well. Pet Eye Correction works much like red-eye removal but is aimed at pets, and Auto Smart Tone is designed to learn a user's editing preferences for faster adjustments.

PSE-Pet-Eye.jpg
Quicker editing is also possible with Quick Frames, Effects, and Textures, which are one-click filters and modifications, and the software has been designed to be easier to use with improved Guided Edits, offering step-by-step instructions to complete a number of tasks such as photo restoration.

Premiere Elements 12 has been updated with Guided Edit support too, providing tutorials for users that are new to video editing. It includes instructions on trimming frames, adding scores, animating graphics, and more.

PRE-Guided-Edits-3.jpg
The video editing software includes more than 50 new soundtracks along with 250 sound effects. Auto Smart Tone, the tool that learns user editing preferences, has also been incorporated into Premiere 12, along with four new filters or "Looks" that can be applied to any video. Looks include Comic, Trinity, Yesteryear, and Cross Process, and with new Motion Tracking support, effects like speech bubbles and other effects can be added to videos.

PRE-FilmLooks-1-800x475.jpg
Both Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 for Mac and Windows can be purchased on Adobe's website for $100 each (or $80 for users upgrading from a prior version). A bundle is available for $150 (or $120 for upgrades). Adobe's Revel app for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free, and includes 50 photo or video uploads per month. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Adobe Unveils Photoshop and Premiere Elements 12 for Mac

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Adobe Revel was a real surprise for me. It reminds me of MobileMe Gallery, a service that I really liked. And it's free if you don't mind 50 uploads/month restriction ($6/month for unlimited).

tripmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Switzerland
It almost looks like a bad version of what Apple's would look like. Gimp would get the job done for me. I haven't used it in a long time. Perhaps the UI looks better now?

cowpaintings

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I didn't know Pixelmator, Acorn, GIMP, etc. were movie editors!

I welcome both Photoshop and Premier LE. Sure, I'll probably stick with Pixelmator, but for movies anything can be better than imovie. Can't wait to try the new version of Premier LE. I've used the full version of Premier in the past and rarely needed to learn how to do anything. It just explained itself from the moment I turned it on. With imovie, I'm still looking up how to do things since it's not exactly the most user friendly program on earth.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Both Photoshop Elements 12 and Premiere Elements 12 for Mac and Windows can be purchased on Adobe's website for $100 each (or $80 for users upgrading from a prior version). A bundle is available for $150 (or $120 for upgrades). Adobe's Revel app for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for free, and includes 50 photo or video uploads per month. [Direct Link]

They also have a student/teacher Elements bundle available for $120 ($30 off the standard bundle).

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
They just keep dumbing it down every year. :(

I have Creative Cloud, yeah, but I just feel like PhotoDeluxe and Elements of 10 years ago were just so much more robust than this crap they put out for consumers now.

Painter Lite over at Corel is only $20 at the moment, and it's robust. I have it from a MacHeist bundle and it's great. Pixelmator and Acorn are great too.

I just think iMovie is a little better than Premiere too. You know, considering this is aimed for consumers who just want to put together clips of video they shot of their family with fancy editing.

rowlands

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2008
Taiwan
The most Windows like version ever - each time Adobe update their software they shun Apple's GUI. I suspect if Adobe stopped trying to create their own GUI, they'd update apps twice as fast.

----------

And Apple still refuses to bring Aperture up to date.....

Amen

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
Good stuff! And agreed about the buying it outright. Not everybody needs all the latest features at the drop of a hat, and those can upgrade every couple of years/versions.

I didn't need the latest features either so I purchased Photoshop Elements in the past. I only used basic features, but purchasing Photoshop Elements turned out to be a big mistake for me.

I don't know about the current version of Photoshop Elements, but the version I bought could not open / edit a thing called 'layer groups'. This prevented me from editing text in business card templates I bought.

My GIMP experience was aweful.

I am a VERY happy Pixelmator user for about a year now.
They have great tutorials too, something that is very valuable to me.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
What will come first, 16bit support in PixelMator, or case-sensitive file-system support in Adobe products? Any news regarding the latter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.