Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Hey,

So I recently swapped my S4 for a HTC One (after several years of being team Samsung I felt like trying something different), and while I'm really enjoying it so far, I'm not a fan of the carrier apps that I'm sure are contributing negatively to my battery drain.

To that end, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I need to root/flash a custom recovery to flash a Stock RUU file.

On a Samsung device, you didn't need to root/recovery if you were flashing a stock rom, and I'm hoping its the same with the One.

Anyone have any experience with this?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm pretty sure you just need to unlock your bootloader, but depending on the phone and Hboot version, that may be difficult.

Have you read up on XDA? I was a total Android noob a few months ago, but now I'm pretty comfortable with the command line and flashing firmwares and what not.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Hey,

So I recently swapped my S4 for a HTC One (after several years of being team Samsung I felt like trying something different), and while I'm really enjoying it so far, I'm not a fan of the carrier apps that I'm sure are contributing negatively to my battery drain.

To that end, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I need to root/flash a custom recovery to flash a Stock RUU file.

On a Samsung device, you didn't need to root/recovery if you were flashing a stock rom, and I'm hoping its the same with the One.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I don't have my HTC One anyone, but I wouldn't think you'd need to.. just need USB Debugging on. Running a RUU is similar to updating with Odin on a Samsung device.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
I'm pretty sure you just need to unlock your bootloader, but depending on the phone and Hboot version, that may be difficult.

Have you read up on XDA? I was a total Android noob a few months ago, but now I'm pretty comfortable with the command line and flashing firmwares and what not.

Thanks man, I'll look into that a bit more.
I was looking around on XDA yeah, but it was just a whole heap of stuff about what to do once you've already rooted, or how to return to stock from a rooted state.

I will say this though, Samsung make it a HELL of a lot easier to root/flash/mod than HTC do.

----------

I don't have my HTC One anyone, but I wouldn't think you'd need to.. just need USB Debugging on. Running a RUU is similar to updating with Odin on a Samsung device.

I have read that - apparently RUUs are .exe files?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks man, I'll look into that a bit more.
I was looking around on XDA yeah, but it was just a whole heap of stuff about what to do once you've already rooted, or how to return to stock from a rooted state.

I will say this though, Samsung make it a HELL of a lot easier to root/flash/mod than HTC do.

----------

I have read that - apparently RUUs are .exe files?

Yes an RUU is an executable programme in its own right. You will need a PC or a VM on your Mac to run it.

From what i recall flashing my one, No you don't need to have your boot loader unlocked or be rooted to run an RUU as long as you are running/choosing the official RUU for your device. In fact you need to have your boot loader locked and be unrooted..

You do have to be rooted and boot loader unlocked if you plan on changing the devices ID/CID or attempting to gain S-Off.

Here is a guide with links to a toolkit that may be useful....
http://www.android.gs/unroot-htc-one-relock-bootloader-restore-stock-jb-4-2-2/

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Yes an RUU is an executable programme in its own right. You will need a PC or a VM on your Mac to run it.

From what i recall flashing my one, No you don't need to have your boot loader unlocked or be rooted to run an RUU as long as you are running/choosing the official RUU for your device. In fact you need to have your boot loader locked and be unrooted..

You do have to be rooted and boot loader unlocked if you plan on changing the devices ID/CID or attempting to gain S-Off.

Here is a guide with links to a toolkit that may be useful....
http://www.android.gs/unroot-htc-one-relock-bootloader-restore-stock-jb-4-2-2/

Many thanks!

I really just want to flash an unbranded RUU to get rid of all this crapware.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Many thanks!

I really just want to flash an unbranded RUU to get rid of all this crapware.

Yeah the thing is the RUU must follow the devices cid.

You can check your CID with a programme / app called 'cid get' on the google play store.

As long as the unbranded ROM is compatible with your CID you will be fine :)

but... If it is not....

That is when you will need to unlock your boot loader, root and gain S-Off in order to change the CID to either the RUU compatible CID or Super CID which allows everything.

It may honestly be much easier to debloat by going into application management and disabling carrier apps.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah the thing is the RUU must follow the devices cid.

You can check your CID with a programme / app called 'cid get' on the google play store.

As long as the unbranded ROM is compatible with your CID you will be fine :)

but... If it is not....

That is when you will need to unlock your boot loader, root and gain S-Off in order to change the CID to either the RUU compatible CID or Super CID which allows everything.

It may honestly be much easier to debloat by going into application management and disabling carrier apps.

I just found that app and my CID is TELST001 (my carrier is Telstra).
That's going to be a huge pain in the ass to get around. Looks like I've got to decide whether I want to just disable apps or go the whole hog and root the thing.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
That's going to be a huge pain in the ass to get around. Looks like I've got to decide whether I want to just disable apps or go the whole hog and root the thing.

See, this is what I ran into when I was trying to get rid of the garbage AT&T apps that came on my phone. I ended up unlocking the bootloader, following the steps to achieve S-OFF and changing my CID to allow me to flash any ROM I wanted. I've tried a dozen different ROMs ranging from slightly modified Sense ROMs, to the AOSP based ROMs like Cyanogenmod. Some of my favorites were the Google Edition variants, especially after Android 4.3 was released.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
See, this is what I ran into when I was trying to get rid of the garbage AT&T apps that came on my phone. I ended up unlocking the bootloader, following the steps to achieve S-OFF and changing my CID to allow me to flash any ROM I wanted. I've tried a dozen different ROMs ranging from slightly modified Sense ROMs, to the AOSP based ROMs like Cyanogenmod. Some of my favorites were the Google Edition variants, especially after Android 4.3 was released.

I just rooted mine and got it all working - but man, I tell you, HTC make it REALLY difficult to get all of this **** working like that. Samsung make it SO easy to root and flash.

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Lol it's not hard at all. Just unlock boot loader through HTC Dev site, install a custom recovery through fastboot, and that's it. Flash a stock ROM .zip through the custom recovery.

You don't need to worry about CID or S-Off or any of that crap.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Lol it's not hard at all. Just unlock boot loader through HTC Dev site, install a custom recovery through fastboot, and that's it. Flash a stock ROM .zip through the custom recovery.

You don't need to worry about CID or S-Off or any of that crap.

This is true, but this way you won't be able to get OTA updates.

SA Spyder

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
This is true, but this way you won't be able to get OTA updates.

As if that's valuable. HTC has terrible update discipline. I'd rather download a custom ROM like ViperOne that gets updated weekly. Sense + customization + better speed, battery. There's practically no reason not to; it doesn't even void your warranty since HTC supports it.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Your device will have a Carrier ID and you can only flash RUU's that match with that CID. To change the CID you have to S-Off the device. The easyiest way to do what you want to do is to root the device and use something like titanium backup to 'freeze' the apps you want to not run.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.