PDA

View Full Version : find friends app broken

pittster
Sep 24, 2013, 06:08 AM
not sure if it's just me but 'find friends' App does not seem to work anymore for my phones.

have a 4 and a 5 - up until ios7 they both worked fine. now it seems to work only occasionally and only when the App is 'open'.

anybody else have my problem or is it a setting in ios7 that I'm unaware of?

MozMan68
Sep 24, 2013, 06:11 AM
not sure if it's just me but 'find friends' App does not seem to work anymore for my phones.

have a 4 and a 5 - up until ios7 they both worked fine. now it seems to work only occasionally and only when the App is 'open'.

It is probably the locations settings being reset somehow with either you and/or your friend's phones when upgraded.

Did with mine and just had everyone open the app to check and make sure everything was on in location services. Works now.

pittster
Sep 24, 2013, 06:12 AM
I checked. both phones location services correctly set.

if both phones have the App running then they see each other. if one or other has been closed then the problem starts.

this didn't happen before, the App used to work in the background. has something changed?

maflynn
Sep 24, 2013, 06:12 AM
Make sure your background app refresh is turned on, at least for the app.

If you turn this off, or location services the app won't work

pittster
Sep 24, 2013, 06:13 AM
Make sure your background app refresh is turned on, at least for the app.

If you turn this off, or location services the app won't work

yup, both phones have background refresh on and location services. :confused:

also my 3rd Gen iPad now running ios7 has the same problem, so it's not hardware related. the iPad used to be able to track both phones via its find friends App, now it has the same problem as the 2 phones ???

tigres
Sep 24, 2013, 06:17 AM
It is broken.
You need to have the app running on all phones for it to work.

Hope apple fixes this fast.

pittster
Sep 24, 2013, 06:20 AM
It is broken.

yup, that's a bit crap :(

worked great before ios7.... oh well :(

maflynn
Sep 24, 2013, 06:21 AM
It is broken.

What you mean you have the app running? Do you mean opened up?

I have it on my phone and my wife's so we can track our commute home, i.e., who's closer to pick up the kids and/or start dinner. Since going to iOS7, I haven't enabled background app refresh yet but I was going to work on that tonight.

dhlizard
Sep 24, 2013, 06:29 AM
Doesn't work on my iPhone 5S either.
I concur there is some issue with the app.

tigres
Sep 24, 2013, 06:55 AM
What you mean you have the app running? Do you mean opened up?

I have it on my phone and my wife's so we can track our commute home, i.e., who's closer to pick up the kids and/or start dinner. Since going to iOS7, I haven't enabled background app refresh yet but I was going to work on that tonight.

Needs to be at least running in the background.
If the kids close it out, no go.

I am resorting to find my phone in the meantime. People are saying it stopped working on beta 6.

flashflooder
Sep 24, 2013, 08:10 AM
Find My Friends doesn't work for me, either.

Not sure if it's due to the iOS7 upgrade, or the device upgrade.

DJLC
Sep 24, 2013, 08:19 AM
App is definitely broken / not updated. I mean, just look at it.

Small White Car
Sep 24, 2013, 08:32 AM
Mine wouldn't even load without crashing.

I erased it and re-installed it and it's been working fine on iOS 7 since then.

Give that a try, it works for me. But honestly I would still not be shocked that it has problems for many people until they update it again.

Gjwilly
Sep 24, 2013, 08:36 AM
Working fine for me on an iPhone 4 and 5.
Still waiting on the 5S.

izzle22
Sep 24, 2013, 09:24 AM
If the app is closed out and not running in the background it will not work on 4S, 5 or 5S. Needs to be updated and soon.

Dwalls90
Sep 24, 2013, 09:34 AM
Not working here either.

gentlefury
Sep 24, 2013, 09:39 AM

The app isn't broken, your friends just haven't allowed it access.

cwosigns
Sep 24, 2013, 09:42 AM
It's broken, and has been discussed for a while.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17788493#post17788493

tigres
Sep 24, 2013, 09:46 AM
The app isn't broken, your friends just haven't allowed it access.

Not accurate at all.

Have 2 phones side by side ios7.
Close it out in the background on one it stops tracking. It matters not that background services are on.

It's borked.

gentlefury
Sep 24, 2013, 10:51 AM
Not accurate at all.

Have 2 phones side by side ios7.
Close it out in the background on one it stops tracking. It matters not that background services are on.

It's borked.

Yeah seems like if it closes on the other phone it breaks. Weird bug. Def not cool for parents when their kids can just cut off mom and dad! Find iPhone still works tho...so thats a good fallback.

tigres
Sep 24, 2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah seems like if it closes on the other phone it breaks. Weird bug. Def not cool for parents when their kids can just cut off mom and dad! Find iPhone still works tho...so thats a good fallback.

Agreed.
I'm one of those parents, with a new driver.:(
find phone is a fallback, but much more cumbersome, and not as nice.

gentlefury
Sep 24, 2013, 01:07 PM
Agreed.
I'm one of those parents, with a new driver.:(
find phone is a fallback, but much more cumbersome, and not as nice.

I also like geo-fencing with Find Friends.

josh bear
Sep 24, 2013, 02:54 PM
Hi

I have find my friends app working. I can see my daughters iPhone 4S with ios7 and my wife's iphone 5 with iOS 6 and I know my wife can see my iphone 5s because I have just had the "why are you still at work text"!!!!

Josh

tigres
Sep 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
Hi

I have find my friends app working. I can see my daughters iPhone 4S with ios7 and my wife's iphone 5 with iOS 6 and I know my wife can see my iphone 5s because I have just had the "why are you still at work text"!!!!

Josh

Kill the app (in the background), and tell your wife to track you now.:D

josh bear
Sep 24, 2013, 03:01 PM
Kill the app (in the background), and tell your wife to track you now.:D

FREEDOMMMMMMM!!!!! Best bug ever! Right off to the pub

gentlefury
Sep 24, 2013, 03:20 PM
Hi

Josh

Now if you close the app from the multi-task tray you will...

http://www.topcoder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/keyser_poof.jpg

....disappear!

Phantom Gremlin
Sep 26, 2013, 06:12 PM
It's broken for me. I previously used it to track my kid. This is a very very basic function was previously very reliable. It broke when I updated my iPhone 5 and my kid's iPhone 4S to IOS 7.

IIRC Apple just doubled their R&D spend. And for what? Where do all the $billions go? Toward building grandiose HQ buildings?

Maskusee
Sep 26, 2013, 06:26 PM
Unfortunately, i think Apple is going to do away with Find My Friends.
I would have thought if they were still moving forward with this app they would have added the iOS7 feel to it.

Hope i'm wrong and it gets updated.

----------

Now if you close the app from the multi-task tray you will...

Image (http://www.topcoder.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/keyser_poof.jpg)

....disappear!

Lmao, awesome flick

C DM
Sep 26, 2013, 06:39 PM
Unfortunately, i think Apple is going to do away with Find My Friends.
I would have thought if they were still moving forward with this app they would have added the iOS7 feel to it.

Hope i'm wrong and it gets updated.

----------

Lmao, awesome flickApple is certainly keeping iBooks around, and yet no iOS 7 design update for that app so far either.

Armen
Sep 26, 2013, 06:42 PM

You have to turn background refresh on an enable it for the app or it won't work :)

PNutts
Sep 26, 2013, 06:59 PM
You have to turn background refresh on an enable it for the app or it won't work :)

That was covered 12 hours ago. :p

My coworker upgraded to iOS 7 and he could no longer see my 5s or his son's 4 on iOS 7. I removed him from my FMF and he sent me a new invitation to follow and now he can see me. He's going to try the same thing with his kid when he gets home.

I haven't had a problem with anyone upgrading to iOS 7 and nobody else has had a problem seeing me.

Mikesus
Sep 27, 2013, 08:33 AM
That was covered 12 hours ago. :p

My coworker upgraded to iOS 7 and he could no longer see my 5s or his son's 4 on iOS 7. I removed him from my FMF and he sent me a new invitation to follow and now he can see me. He's going to try the same thing with his kid when he gets home.

I haven't had a problem with anyone upgrading to iOS 7 and nobody else has had a problem seeing me.

To be clear you deleted all friends and re-added? We tried that with my daughters phone and it still doesn't show...

Mikesus
Sep 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
Found the problem...

Click on me on the app

Then account at the top

Make sure the device that says "this iphone" is selected

For some reason on my daughters phone it kept defaulting to her old phone that she no longer has. I deleted the old one and made sure background update is on and it appears to be working now,

Hope this helps.

Phantom Gremlin
Sep 27, 2013, 05:11 PM
I didn't download a new version of the app, but it seems to be working now. Maybe Apple fixed something on its servers, or maybe IOS 7.0.2 fixed the problem.

I'm not alone in observing this. I just found a thread on Apple's support forum about this problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5352921

The good news from there is a poster's comment (toward the end):

It works again!! Apple heard us!!

cwosigns
Sep 28, 2013, 07:27 AM
I can confirm the iOS 7.0.2 update fixes this issue.

dhlizard
Sep 28, 2013, 07:53 AM
It is broken.

Even with the app open on both phones, no go.

I believe it is a 5S issue

Edit: After removing and reinstalling the app a couple times, signing in and out numerous times, removing all friends and signing out, rebooting over and over and then sending new invites - I HAS SUCCESS !

bobbyplease11
Oct 8, 2013, 05:10 PM
I use this app with, among others, my gf. While the app has never been perfect, lately her location will often go long periods while between updating, even if I refresh repeatedly during that period.

She has the iPhone5s and the most recent iOS, which I understand has been buggy. She has Verizon coverage, and I had seen that certain activities on a Verizon phone would close out the program in other forums.

This often happens when she is commuting, so I am wondering if phone or other apps are closing the app, and if I'd see her last location or get a location unavailable notice. Previously, before she updated, the app would give a reasonable show of where she moved as she commuted

Also - if you turn on the hide feature, do you appear to the other user as location unavailable, or do they see your last location? What about if you don't have service or service turned off?

Thanks.

MozMan68
Oct 8, 2013, 06:57 PM
Will simply show location unavailable if turn off, no signal, or any other signal related reason.

bobbyplease11
Oct 9, 2013, 07:30 AM
What does the other user see? Your last location, just not updated, or location unavailable?

MozMan68
Oct 9, 2013, 10:23 AM
What does the other user see? Your last location, just not updated, or location unavailable?

Didn't I just answer that above? "Location Not Available"

bobbyplease11
Oct 9, 2013, 10:36 AM
I am just trying to figure out exactly what functions do what. I can still see the last location then, it just doesn't update. Is that the same as location unavailable.

Sorry if my questions are daft, appreciate the help.

MozMan68
Oct 9, 2013, 07:18 PM
Not sure what to tell you...when you open the app it should say "locating" under each of your friends. If they have it set up where you can see them, it will show where they are/how many miles away. If not, it will say "location not available." It does not show the last location. It resets every time you open the app.

Black Magic
Oct 9, 2013, 08:17 PM
Find My Friends seems to be working now, but the geofence alerts are not working for me. Anyone else still having issues with Find My Friends?

Densi
Oct 11, 2013, 04:56 PM
Find My Friends seems to be working now, but the geofence alerts are not working for me. Anyone else still having issues with Find My Friends?

Same for me. Working but no geofence alerts.

Imac Sam
Oct 12, 2013, 06:30 AM
Same for me. Working but no geofence alerts.

Ditto

cwosigns
Oct 13, 2013, 11:32 PM
Same. No geofence.

betabeta
Oct 16, 2013, 04:15 AM
I had geofence work a few times, told me when a person left or arrived in notifications. Then out of the blue it stopped working, still shows were they are, but no notifications. Very strange.

Densi
Oct 17, 2013, 02:14 AM
I had geofence work a few times, told me when a person left or arrived in notifications. Then out of the blue it stopped working, still shows were they are, but no notifications. Very strange.

Same here.

Pharmscott
Oct 19, 2013, 10:17 PM
Found the problem...

Click on me on the app

Then account at the top

Make sure the device that says "this iphone" is selected

For some reason on my daughters phone it kept defaulting to her old phone that she no longer has. I deleted the old one and made sure background update is on and it appears to be working now,

Hope this helps.

Genius! Thank you!!

Black Magic
Nov 7, 2013, 11:03 AM
Geesh, when are they going to fix GEO-FENCING?