PDA

View Full Version : pre-emptive mac mini media hub

millar876
Nov 29, 2005, 09:26 PM
* feel free to move if you feel location is wrong *

Im Thinking about getting a stock 1.42Ghz Combodrive mac mini, Wureless KB&m and video adapter (dvi - S-video/composite), sticking VLC (for .ogm videos, unless anyone knows how to convert those to QT compliant) and Front row (1.0.1 and activation hack/crack). This will be hooked up to my TV, 42" 100Hz Toshiba Rear projection TV [has ot hi def but only 720i on AV5, the Py/Pc/?? conections (Red/Green/Blue RCA/phono connectors But NOT RGB cos that op mode not accepted/displayed on AV5) and no DVI or VGA in.

I will have my Itunes AV librery on the Mini and Posibly my current 120GB Ext FW-HD connected with episodes of Battlestar galactica, SG1, Atlantis, Dragonball, Guyver (anime) and Gundam wing on it, aliased in the Movie folder,

Questions, Will it be up to it, and will it work.

I will get a proper Hi-Def TV eventually, Probably when i get a PS3 or this 1 packs in. so i can switch to DVI later.

Josh396
Nov 29, 2005, 10:32 PM
Well I would just hold out until MWSF as that is about a month away. I'm sure there are other threads on this also so maybe you can search and find something or someone else will tell if they have a similar setup.

OutThere
Nov 29, 2005, 10:38 PM
Sounds like it'll work...but you'll want a remote control, and up until now, the options are pretty weak. Googling for IR USB computer remote controls, but from what I've seen with my friend's powerbook, they're not particularly great.

bursty
Nov 29, 2005, 10:59 PM
I have that same setup. MacMini hooked up to my 57" Sony to play networked video_ts files from a server and also to record TV. Works flawlessly.

Edit: However, I have mine hooked up via HDMI.