PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Keyboard Uniformity

mush10
Sep 24, 2013, 09:42 AM
Is this solely dependent on the app updating to iOS 7? It is amazing how dated the old keyboard feels already. I prefer the new look and even performance of the new version. Even aside from that, the lack of consistency is annoying. Is it up to the developer or just something Apple hasn't finished polishing throughout the OS?

3bs
Sep 24, 2013, 09:48 AM
Is this solely dependent on the app updating to iOS 7?

I'm not 100% sure but yes I think I read it is.

I wish Apple had changed the keyboard to only show caps when the caps lock is on..

djtech42
Sep 24, 2013, 09:50 AM
Is this solely dependent on the app updating to iOS 7? It is amazing how dated the old keyboard feels already. I prefer the new look and even performance of the new version. Even aside from that, the lack of consistency is annoying. Is it up to the developer or just something Apple hasn't finished polishing throughout the OS?

Apps have to be updated to use the iOS 7 keyboard. Otherwise, the keyboard will default to iOS 6 and any elements not updated for iOS 7 will default to iOS 6 as well.

C DM
Sep 24, 2013, 06:50 PM
Is this solely dependent on the app updating to iOS 7? It is amazing how dated the old keyboard feels already. I prefer the new look and even performance of the new version. Even aside from that, the lack of consistency is annoying. Is it up to the developer or just something Apple hasn't finished polishing throughout the OS?The new keyboard with much lighter, thinner, and less defined buttons is actually better looking as far as usability goes? And it somehow performs better?

sunking101
Sep 24, 2013, 07:02 PM
I prefer the new keyboard and agree that when an app brings the old one up it looks so dated.

C DM
Sep 24, 2013, 07:10 PM
I prefer the new keyboard and agree that when an app brings the old one up it looks so dated.Does the "dated look" mean bad or problematic in some way though?

moonman239
Sep 24, 2013, 07:31 PM
As one other poster previously said, the app has to be updated to use the new UI elements. Maybe with iOS 7.1 Apple will make it so that developers won't have to bundle the UIKit framework with their apps - it would be in a specific location on each device and all apps built for that OS or a newer one would use that framework. Then they could also enable users to customize the element style across all apps.

haruhiko
Sep 24, 2013, 07:34 PM

It is up to the developer because the new keyboard is translucent which requires the app to draw the background behind the keyboard.

Doublea6
Sep 24, 2013, 07:36 PM
Does the "dated look" mean bad or problematic in some way though?

Yes. It might still work, but us hip kids want something new!

-------

I also don't understand why sometimes the keyboard is white and sometimes it is black. I'd like an option to keep it always whey or always black.