PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] Anyone tried to turn off Find My Phone?

morespce54
Sep 24, 2013, 12:13 PM
Anyone tried to turn off Find My Phone on iOS7, just for the kick of seeing that "super security magic" feature?
I know, it's pretty useless to try that, but I was kind of disapointed to find out that:

a) the message asking you to login with your Apple ID password (to disable the feature) is giving away my Apple ID login. I guess I'd rater enter both login and password manually for a added security layer.

b) the message is kind of screwed as it says something along:
You must enter your iCloud password for the account \n myappleid@icloudme.com
(with a *nix new line character in front of my Apple ID).

It's no big deal but I hope this will be corrected in the next update (at least, the new line character).

What do you guys think about the message giving away your iCloud login? You think it's useful and a good idea for a security feature?

Tyler23
Sep 24, 2013, 12:16 PM
Anyone tried to turn off Find My Phone on iOS7, just for the kick of seeing that "super security magic" feature?
I know, it's pretty useless to try that, but I was kind of disapointed to find out that:

a) the message asking you to login with your Apple ID password (to disable the feature) is giving away my Apple ID login. I guess I'd rater enter both login and password manually for a added security layer.

b) the message is kind of screwed as it says something along: You must enter your iCloud password for the account \n myappleid@username (with a *nix new line character in front of my Apple ID).

It's no big deal but I hope this will be corrected in the next update (at least, the new line character).

What do you guys think about the message giving away your iCloud login?

They can just go to the iCloud section and see your iCloud login, anyways.

morespce54
Sep 24, 2013, 12:25 PM
Right... But I guess I wish these were not being easily available. Specially in that section.

Plus, not that it matter much for someone who wish to wipe your phone but, going to the iCloud section is still an extra step.

Tyler23
Sep 24, 2013, 12:38 PM
Right... But I guess I wish these were not being easily available. Specially in that section.

Plus, not that it matter much for someone who wish to wipe your phone but, going to the iCloud section is still an extra step.

They still need your password, just make sure it's strong and you should be fine.

Also, a passcode lock on your phone. Apple gives you the tools, you just have to use them.

AceMason
Sep 26, 2013, 07:22 AM
If someone steals your phone can they just turn it off to prevent you from using Find My iPhone?

hafr
Sep 26, 2013, 07:34 AM
What do you guys think about the message giving away your iCloud login? You think it's useful and a good idea for a security feature?
It gives an honest person who finds it a chance to contact the owner in order to return it, and it's a great way to differentiate between different phones since they all look the same...

It's not "giving away" the iCloud login, it's a name tag with contact information.

If someone steals your phone can they just turn it off to prevent you from using Find My iPhone?
Yes. But if someone steals a phone, they probably won't want to have it turned off at all times...

elistan
Sep 26, 2013, 08:29 AM

Yes. But as soon as it's turned on again, it's going to reach out to the cell network and if the owner of the phone had sent out a Lost Mode or Erase iPhone command, it'll implement that.

The thief can pop out the SIM card to prevent cell network connection, but with Activation Lock, nobody else except the original owner will be able to activate it for use, even with a new SIM, even if the owner erased all data.

AceMason
Sep 26, 2013, 08:31 AM
Yes. But as soon as it's turned on again, it's going to reach out to the cell network and if the owner of the phone had sent out a Lost Mode or Erase iPhone command, it'll implement that.

The thief can pop out the SIM card to prevent cell network connection, but with Activation Lock, nobody else except the original owner will be able to activate it for use, even with a new SIM, even if the owner erased all data.

That's pretty cool, so basically it's futile to steal iPhones now right?

morespce54
Sep 26, 2013, 10:45 AM
It's not "giving away" the iCloud login, it's a name tag with contact information.

Right, but it gives your email address and your email address is often your iCloud login. Now they only need to figure your iCloud password. I guess I would feel better if I/they needed to fill both instead of just the password (they don't even need to fill your email/icloud login which they know by now anyway).

Of course, they need to figure the phone passcode first and as mentioned earlier, once that is done, they could simply go to the iCloud pref pane and see your email address there.

Anyway, a good passcode and a good iCloud password should do it, I guess. It's just that I wish you (and only you) could disable Find my Phone (a la Impossible Mission) I mean, it could be a different password from your iCloud, one that would only be used for Find My Phone (but maybe it would be too much of a hassle for most people).

Lucille Carter
Sep 26, 2013, 11:02 AM
That's pretty cool, so basically it's futile to steal iPhones now right?

Do not bet on it until the word gets out.

Also iPhone parts are ALWAYS in demand.

hafr
Sep 26, 2013, 12:23 PM
Right, but it gives your email address and your email address is often your iCloud login. Now they only need to figure your iCloud password. I guess I would feel better if I/they needed to fill both instead of just the password (they don't even need to fill your email/icloud login which they know by now anyway).

Of course, they need to figure the phone passcode first and as mentioned earlier, once that is done, they could simply go to the iCloud pref pane and see your email address there.

Anyway, a good passcode and a good iCloud password should do it, I guess. It's just that I wish you (and only you) could disable Find my Phone (a la Impossible Mission) I mean, it could be a different password from your iCloud, one that would only be used for Find My Phone (but maybe it would be too much of a hassle for most people).
But dude, you're missing the positive aspects of it. Say the police gets their hand on your phone. Now they could just drop you an email, saying they've found your phone. Compare that to how difficult it would be for them to track you down if the address wasn't there. Or if I find it, I could email you instead of going to the police - who might not even try to contact you.

Just make sure to have a secure password for iCloud and you're golden.

hyhybt
Sep 26, 2013, 12:58 PM
A separate password only for a purpose you'll probably never, ever use? That would be a great way to ensure that people won't remember it when they need to.

That's pretty cool, so basically it's futile to steal iPhones now right?Not quite. Even aside from using it for parts, a thief can still do anything they could before, so long as they're able to act before the owner disables it. Depending on circumstances, they might have anywhere from minutes to days, with an hour or two far from unreasonable.

Stuke00
Sep 26, 2013, 01:06 PM

If you lose the phone, lock it via icloud.com Or even wipe it. When it comes back up after wiping, your email address is masked when prompted to activate.

morespce54
Sep 26, 2013, 02:57 PM
If you lose the phone, lock it via icloud.com Or even wipe it. When it comes back up after wiping, your email address is masked when prompted to activate.

Great! Thanks. I didn't push the experiment that far...
Glad to know that once wiped, the email is masked. Feel better now!

But dude, you're missing the positive aspects of it. Say the police gets their hand on your phone. Now they could just drop you an email, saying they've found your phone. Compare that to how difficult it would be for them to track you down if the address wasn't there. Or if I find it, I could email you instead of going to the police - who might not even try to contact you.

Just make sure to have a secure password for iCloud and you're golden.

I know, but to be honest, around here, not much cop would even take the time to look up your email address, even less to send you an email to let you know they found your phone! ;)

Ashin
Sep 26, 2013, 03:00 PM
Curious -

What if you lost your iPhone and someone DFU restores it before you even realise?

Does the iCloud security feature still kick in or not?

elistan
Sep 26, 2013, 05:28 PM
Curious -

What if you lost your iPhone and someone DFU restores it before you even realise?

Does the iCloud security feature still kick in or not?

Here's somebody who says they tried, and even a DFU mode restore didn't disable the Activation Lock.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1593844