Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Does this also mean the phone will erase after 10 failed TouchID attempts or just passcode attempts?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Does this also mean the phone will erase after 10 failed TouchID attempts or just passcode attempts?

I don't think this is the case... it will only let you attempt to unlock the phone with TouchID a couple of times and if you keep failing then it requires you to unlock with a passcode. Once it gets in that state then you can't use TouchID again until you unlock with a passcode. I would think at that point 10 failed passcodes would wipe it.

terzinator

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Touch ID counts as a passcode attempt...so I think so, yes.
I don't have a 5S yet, so I'll play dumb about what's actually involved in using the Touch ID...

Do you press the home button, THEN your finger registers on the sensor?

Or is there a more complicated process?

I'm just thinking it would be a pretty easy practical joke for someone to just hit the home button 10 times (or whatever) to lock/wipe your phone!

But I'll let those who actually own a 5S to explain away this silliness.

EDIT: just saw BrettDS's answer, which seems to explain away the silliness.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I don't think this is the case... it will only let you attempt to unlock the phone with TouchID a couple of times and if you keep failing then it requires you to unlock with a passcode. Once it gets in that state then you can't use TouchID again until you unlock with a passcode. I would think at that point 10 failed passcodes would wipe it.

Not true. After 3 failed attempts it goes to the passcode screen at which point you can pass the touch id scan and still unlock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.