PDA

View Full Version : Erase phone after 10 wrong pass code attempts iP5S?

Imola Ghost
Sep 24, 2013, 05:07 PM
Does this also mean the phone will erase after 10 failed TouchID attempts or just passcode attempts?

gentlefury
Sep 24, 2013, 05:08 PM
Does this also mean the phone will erase after 10 failed TouchID attempts or just passcode attempts?

Touch ID counts as a passcode attempt...so I think so, yes.

BrettDS
Sep 24, 2013, 05:12 PM

I don't think this is the case... it will only let you attempt to unlock the phone with TouchID a couple of times and if you keep failing then it requires you to unlock with a passcode. Once it gets in that state then you can't use TouchID again until you unlock with a passcode. I would think at that point 10 failed passcodes would wipe it.

terzinator
Sep 24, 2013, 05:13 PM
Touch ID counts as a passcode attempt...so I think so, yes.
I don't have a 5S yet, so I'll play dumb about what's actually involved in using the Touch ID...

Do you press the home button, THEN your finger registers on the sensor?

Or is there a more complicated process?

I'm just thinking it would be a pretty easy practical joke for someone to just hit the home button 10 times (or whatever) to lock/wipe your phone!

But I'll let those who actually own a 5S to explain away this silliness.

EDIT: just saw BrettDS's answer, which seems to explain away the silliness.

gentlefury
Sep 24, 2013, 05:41 PM
I don't think this is the case... it will only let you attempt to unlock the phone with TouchID a couple of times and if you keep failing then it requires you to unlock with a passcode. Once it gets in that state then you can't use TouchID again until you unlock with a passcode. I would think at that point 10 failed passcodes would wipe it.

Not true. After 3 failed attempts it goes to the passcode screen at which point you can pass the touch id scan and still unlock.