PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 is awesome, why do people hate it?

Appler4
Sep 24, 2013, 06:45 PM
There has been a lot of hate for it lately. But why?

greenythebeast
Sep 24, 2013, 06:48 PM
Have you even read this forum? There are plenty of topics about the various reasons why people don't like iOS 7.

damidget
Sep 24, 2013, 06:52 PM
Have you even read this forum? There are plenty of topics about the various reasons why people don't like iOS 7.

I agree

C DM
Sep 24, 2013, 06:54 PM
Perhaps because people have personal opinions? Perhaps because there are things that some people care about while others don't even notice, let alone actually care about? Perhaps because there are actual issues in various places with various things (but, again, not all that would necessarily matter to everyone)?

Plenty of simple and rational explanations (making the actual question itself somewhat silly).

me7
Sep 24, 2013, 06:57 PM

It's probably fine as long as you don't use the music app. But the music app is a complete disaster.

benji888
Sep 24, 2013, 07:04 PM
Many of those were by people developing opinions based solely on screenshots and talk about the betas before it was publicly available, not people actually using iOS 7. Most that use it like it.

It"s also generally known that people who complain are more likely to comment (and get on forums) than the ones that like something. And they tend to make a big stink.

Also, older people or traditional people have a hard time with change, even if it's better.

----------

It's probably fine as long as you don't use the music app. But the music app is a complete disaster.
(Here is an example of someone that doesn't like change, dramatizes it.)

I happen to like the changes to the music app. What you call "disaster", I call improved!

Jodene =o)
Sep 24, 2013, 07:12 PM
I've only noticed a couple of the bugs (wallpaper lag, battery drain) and they don't bother me much (well, maybe the battery drain does)... But so what, haha. So count me in as one of the likers! Actually... I love it! :)

Admittedly, I'm the only one who loves IOS7 amongst my family and friends, and getting plenty of hassle for it, haha... But that's nothing new... I drive a BF Falcon in a family of Holden fanatics :)

Zerilos
Sep 24, 2013, 07:13 PM

I suspect that overall iOS 7 is very popular. Negative comments found on the MR forums very rarely reflect reality to my experience. Anytime anything new comes out from Apple, some people lose it (and then they head here to complain about it). Based on comments here, you would have thought the iPad Mini would be a total failure (I was one of them) and that adding gold as an iPhone color would result in Apple's demise.

me7
Sep 24, 2013, 07:27 PM
I happen to like the changes to the music app. What you call "disaster", I call improved!

Seriously, you call it an improvement that you need to scroll through all songs of an artist to reach latter albums?
Getting to The Beatles' Abbey Road was a matter of a few seconds on iOS6. iOS7 forces me to scroll through ~160 songs to reach it.

dannyyankou
Sep 24, 2013, 07:36 PM
Probably because my phone has only gotten 3-4 hours of usage on a charge ever since I upgraded. Once they fix that, I'll be happy.

haruhiko
Sep 24, 2013, 07:37 PM

The music app is not a disaster - until you want to create a playlist.

Why they took away the function to add all songs in an album or an artist!?

palmerc2
Sep 24, 2013, 08:50 PM
Because some people are just so miserable they'll find anything to bitch and complain about, and make it seem like the end of the world. Like they've lost their leg or something.

I mean sure I have some small quandaries with iOS 7, but I'm not going to dramatize it like so many people do on here.

I remember with the whole "antennagate" hoopla people were saying they were gonna sue apple.....oh brother.

ja2ed
Sep 24, 2013, 09:01 PM
It is awesome only major problem is the syncing of music that I am having. Majority of the time I use my phone in the gym. I on a daily basis would update deleting and adding songs. I never had an issue in iOS 6 and I see a tons of people having issues. Other than that I am ok with everything else.

plainwhitetay
Sep 24, 2013, 09:10 PM
It's hideous and slow. Not intuitive like iOS used to pride itself on.

thatgirl87
Sep 24, 2013, 09:13 PM
I used to think the design of iOS 7 was odd, now I like it. iOS 7 is the best iOS yet. It feels like I have a jailbroken iPhone.

iAmirul
Sep 24, 2013, 09:16 PM
I used to think the design of iOS 7 was odd, now I like it. iOS 7 is the best iOS yet. It feels like I have a jailbroken iPhone.

Agreed.. They just have to add in quick reply for messages and it'll become the best iOS till date.

bjb.butler
Sep 24, 2013, 09:17 PM

Humans are resistant to change.

DJLC
Sep 24, 2013, 09:32 PM
Seriously, you call it an improvement that you need to scroll through all songs of an artist to reach latter albums?
Getting to The Beatles' Abbey Road was a matter of a few seconds on iOS6. iOS7 forces me to scroll through ~160 songs to reach it.

Um... you can't tap "More," select "Albums," and then "Abbey Road"?

syd430
Sep 24, 2013, 10:08 PM
Probably because my phone has only gotten 3-4 hours of usage on a charge ever since I upgraded. Once they fix that, I'll be happy.

Turn off background app refresh, unneeded location services, dynamic wallpapers and parallax (turn "reduce motion" on). Also keep Bluetooth and AirDrop off when not needed and keep your screen brightness as low as possible (usually have mine at about 15-20% indoors)... Result... About 12 hours constant usage on 5S.

dannyyankou
Sep 24, 2013, 10:12 PM
Disable useful features to improve battery life.

Thanks, I'll try that

kaielement
Sep 24, 2013, 10:28 PM
I love ios 7 enough said...

----------

Humans are resistant to change.

And these are the same humans that said ios 6 was to old and stale and wanted a refresh lol...... Apple seems damed if they do and damed if they don't.

RudeBoy254
Sep 24, 2013, 10:29 PM
I've deleted all third party apps besides gmail and google maps after using ios 7 for a week, the alarm clock, safari and the weather app is a huge upgrade + its saving me tons of space for other apps now! Its about time they did something right with these apps!

reeve
Sep 24, 2013, 10:29 PM

You do know that you can just select the Albums tab, right? Problem solved.

jwolf6589
Sep 24, 2013, 10:31 PM

You have another problem. My Phone does far better with iOS 7.

OSMac
Sep 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
It's not as bad as expected when actually used.

Still too white for night reading , safari and notes anyhow.

syd430
Sep 24, 2013, 11:08 PM
Thanks, I'll try that

No need to be a smartass, I was just giving a suggestion.

dannyyankou
Sep 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
No need to be a smartass, I was just giving a suggestion.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be one. I've tried those tips already and I still have the same battery issues. I went to apple today and the said to restore, and if the problem persists, it might be a hardware issue.

Vetvito
Sep 24, 2013, 11:33 PM

Or

He can type "Abbey Road" and be done with it.

Damolee
Sep 25, 2013, 12:09 AM
Worse battery life is the biggest killer.

Being on 4G now too, have no idea what this is going to do to it.

I may be forced to pick up the Nexus 5 soon, for practicality reasons alone. Don't even like Android.

me7
Sep 25, 2013, 05:30 AM

You do know that you can just select the Albums tab, right? Problem solved.

In the "Albums" tab, you get all albums by all artists. I have currently 538 albums in my library, scrolling though all of them is not fun.
The organization that was used on old iPods and iOS up to version 6 isn't just different, it's vastly superior. On iOS7, finding an album isn't only "different", it takes a lot longer, sometimes up to ten times as long as it did on iOS6. I feel treated like an idiot when I have to scroll through either "all albums of all artists" or "all songs by one artist" because Apple thinks that the structure used in the past is too complicated for me and I need a flatter hierarchy.
I understand that in the public eye, people who buy Apple products aren't considered the brightest crayons in the box and that Apple itself wants to market its products as "easy", but the new music app is too simplistic to organize a serious music collection.

Solomani
Sep 25, 2013, 05:41 AM
Many of those were by people developing opinions based solely on screenshots and talk about the betas before it was publicly available, not people actually using iOS 7. Most that use it like it.

Maybe we should place a ban on people who prematurely hate on an OS before they have had a chance to try (use) it. But then, that would eliminate about 98% of MR members. :eek:

sunking101
Sep 25, 2013, 05:58 AM
Turn off background app refresh, unneeded location services, dynamic wallpapers and parallax (turn "reduce motion" on). Also keep Bluetooth and AirDrop off when not needed and keep your screen brightness as low as possible (usually have mine at about 15-20% indoors)... Result... About 12 hours constant usage on 5S.

Still almost two hours down on usage time (iphone 5) after two clean installs and with *everything* switched off. There is something draining my battery and until/unless it is fixed then iOS7 is a disaster.

coconutxyz
Sep 25, 2013, 06:00 AM
because battery life eww

DJLC
Sep 25, 2013, 08:01 AM
Or

He can type "Abbey Road" and be done with it.

In the "Albums" tab, you get all albums by all artists. I have currently 538 albums in my library, scrolling though all of them is not fun.
The organization that was used on old iPods and iOS up to version 6 isn't just different, it's vastly superior. On iOS7, finding an album isn't only "different", it takes a lot longer, sometimes up to ten times as long as it did on iOS6. I feel treated like an idiot when I have to scroll through either "all albums of all artists" or "all songs by one artist" because Apple thinks that the structure used in the past is too complicated for me and I need a flatter hierarchy.
I understand that in the public eye, people who buy Apple products aren't considered the brightest crayons in the box and that Apple itself wants to market its products as "easy", but the new music app is too simplistic to organize a serious music collection.

So type the name. Or have Siri type it for you.

But I'm done arguing. If you don't like it, that's a shame and I hope you can find a solution. For me, the days of having a collection are over. I just Spotify everything. Can't fit much of a collection on my 16gb 5s anyway.

Appler4
Sep 25, 2013, 02:08 PM
It's hideous and slow. Not intuitive like iOS used to pride itself on. This is what i mean, at least one person has to complain about 1 tiny bug, please go away.

plainwhitetay
Sep 25, 2013, 02:11 PM
This is what i mean, at least one person has to complain about 1 tiny bug, please go away.

What tiny bug? It's been an issue since beta 1 that the new animations take way too long to complete. They have been tweaked to run much smoother, but they still take way too long to complete making the whole experience slower.

colourfastt
Sep 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
This is what i mean, at least one person has to complain about 1 tiny bug, please go away.

Given this quote and the the OP post, one can only conclude the OP is a teenager and doesn't understand that for ADULT use in a business setting that iOS Fisher Price (iOS 7) is a distinct step backward. I will admit that it is more than adequate for tweeting, playing on Facebook, etc.

C DM
Sep 25, 2013, 03:38 PM
I love ios 7 enough said...

----------

And these are the same humans that said ios 6 was to old and stale and wanted a refresh lol...... Apple seems damed if they do and damed if they don't.It's not necessarily the same group of people...and even out of that group of people, just because people wanted change, it doesn't mean that any change is good, there are still changes that can be better or worse (even though they are still changes).

Girlwithaphone
Sep 25, 2013, 03:42 PM
I do not hate it. I love a lot of new features and the look (even if i wish I could tone down the colors).
I have a big probleme with the whiteness and, the worst, the zoom-in zoom out animations that give me headache and motion sickness

cynics
Sep 25, 2013, 03:54 PM
I'm surprised so many people are so upset other people have varying opinions then your own. Someone else doesn't like it....ok? Who cares? I don't like white cars....I'm right and entitled to my opinion get used too it. Whining about whiners doesn't make you look any better.

Secondly I don't see too many threads of people not liking everything...just certain things. They just don't mention the things they do like. For example. I don't like...

The calendar, notes, reminders, and message app layout and color. They aren't as organized as I prefer (grid in calendar for example).

Easter colors in general. I feel like I'm on an Easter themed Android phone.

The random lock screen bug I get.

The toy like animations. This is a tool too me I don't need to be blasted into and out of apps or the messages move around in the message app as I scroll.

Music app if you have a large collection. Typing the name is great but sometime I can't remember the name.

Etc

That stuff is just going to be stuff I'm going to have to get used too. Meanwhile there is plenty I like. App preview and swipe to close, control center etc

poplars
Sep 25, 2013, 03:59 PM
Anyone saying they love ios 7 completely probably isnt using an ipad 3.... I swear they were mostly designing this for their within the last 8 months hardware...

If you are an ipad 3 user who is satisfied with ios 7 id like to hear from you. Do you notice the choppiness with screen rotation on the home screen? Or going from most applications to the home screen is choppy as well. Plenty of other issues i dont feel like going into, like inconsistent blurs and lack of blurs...

I did a fresh install however i did restore some backed up apps and settings, so i dont know if that causes the choppiness or not, im thinking not but if im wrong please tell me.