PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] iOS 7 Update on 4s - Phone gets Super HOT, Battery Drains in 4 hrs, AppleCare knows

LewisLouis
Sep 24, 2013, 06:50 PM
Wow!

(Of Note: I called Apple Care, and the tech told me to do everything listed below though I had already read it online, then she said that there have been Numerous calls about the device OverHeating (its like Starbucks coffee HOT) but that until "something" happens they are just logging the complaints and if you turn off the items listed below there should not be the constant drain on the system and battery. So I asked her to clarify what 'something' meant? Does it have to catch fire or blow up before they go public and let people know that the iOS7 update is running REALLY HOT! oh well - I knew I should have waited for 7.1 - but my finger was just itching and I had no self-control).

iPHONE BURNING UP - RUNNING REAL HOT!!!
So I took the bait and updated my iPhone 4s (64gb) to iOS 7 yesterday
(9/23/2013). Updated via WiFi - no problem, took about 20 minutes. When it was done I picked it up and it was SUPER HOT! This not your I've been talking for 2 hours and my iPhone feels warm - it was really over-heating. I had to take it out of my pocket because it was uncomfortable - so I turned it off overnight. This morning it seemed normal but after 20 minutes it was hot again.

BATTERY
In addition - the Battery only last 4 hours. This is without doing anything - it just runs down.

I did the normal stuff: Turn off BluTooth, Set my MAIL app to FETCH instead of PUSH, turned off some of the Notifications, turned off Reduce Motion in Accessibility, tuned off Background App Refresh -to no avail.
Still runs hot and battery drains in less than 4 hours.

Waiting for 7.1, or my iPhone to go up in Flames so I can replace it under the Insurance Plan - just hope I'm not sleeping when it goes up in smoke!

old-wiz
Sep 24, 2013, 06:56 PM
I have a 4S and updated via iTunes and USB..no problems. No chage in battery life, no heat.

Maybe you need wipe and clean install..

LewisLouis
Sep 24, 2013, 07:05 PM
Just got off the phone with AppleCare and now they are suggesting that I try doing the UPDATE through iTunes, fully refreshing the device.

I'll try that tonight and provide an update.

Thanks

dannyyankou
Sep 24, 2013, 07:16 PM
I have the same battery problems and brought it to apple today and they told me to do the same. But the guy I spoke to suggested that I set my phone up as a new device and not from backup, turn off any location services I don't need, and turn off some push notifications. If that doesn't work, he said it might be a hardware issue.

tl;dr: Turning off useful features may improve your battery.