PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if my video will play on an aTV?

troy14
Sep 24, 2013, 08:01 PM
hi everyone,

i have a fairly large extensive collection of videos from various sources, some ripped by myself and others not.

i currently use a Roku 3 w/ plex which can play/transcode basically anything but I want to put an apple tv 3 in another room.

i used iflicks to make a large library of "itunes compatible files" (which took only a few minutes per file to 'remux'? i believe).

i dont know enough about codecs, containers, formats, etc. to know what my files are in. they import fine into iTunes, but, before I buy an apple TV and waste time/money, is there a way to figure out if these videos will play on my apple tv? I don't want to use airplay or anything, just the homesharing from my mac. I seem to recall and issue with certain types of audio and not supporting 5.1 or something like that. the apple tv will be hooked up hdmi from atv to hdmi to tv, no receiver.

most of the files in the right click -> get info show stereo, 5.1 dolby..... is stereo ok? will they play fine on the atv 3?

thanks in advance

Che Castro
Sep 24, 2013, 11:06 PM
All my movies where mkv
700mb 720p & 2gb 1080p movies

I put all my mkv's thru iflicks iTunes compatible tab and they all play fine
And only takes a minute
I had a few problems with audio that was ac3 because my soundbar can't play that

But that was like 2 movies out of a 1,000
All I had to do was convert the audio to AAC using mkvtools or mp4tools

You can also use mp4tools to change audio tracks or add extra subtitles
Sometimes iflicks doesn't add the subtitle to a movie so I use mp4 to add it in the container , then put it in iflicks

Your tv should play the stereo sound iflicks created fine

priitv8
Sep 25, 2013, 12:13 AM
Or then again, try the Beamer app, if you're on Mac.
http://beamer-app.com

slothrob
Sep 25, 2013, 05:11 AM
To work through homesharing, the files need to be .m4v format (if they are .mp4, just change the extension to .m4v) to get them into iTunes.

The aTV will play Dolby Digital 5.1 fine through a home theater receiver, though you probably also need a stereo track if you want to listen through just the TV speakers. The aTV won't play DTS or various HD audio codecs.

FreakinEurekan
Sep 25, 2013, 10:10 AM
I used a utility called HandBrakeBatch to convert a bunch of older files, but HandBrake does batch processing now. Info here:

http://www.osomac.com/2013/08/08/handbrake-adds-real-batch-processing/