PDA

View Full Version : No going back to iOS 6 = no more Apple purchases! I'm starting a movement

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

rider96
Sep 24, 2013, 11:09 PM
Well it's been a couple of days since I first posted and I've read all sorts of comments. So let's start from the beginning. As someone who waited on line overnight for the iphone 4, who purchased one for my gf, who purchased an ipad, who purchased an iphone 5.... I was surprised and appalled that when I downloaded ios7 and discovered that one could not revert to ios6 just a couple of days after release. In my case, my gf with the iphone 4 that I had purchased for her birthday was upset because her phone was excruciatingly slow, almost crippled. And the battery life, which wasn't that great to start with, is now so bad that she has to be on perpetual charger. Yes, we disabled this, disabled that, but the drain was very fast.

And, in using my iphone 5 and ipad, I am having difficulty seeing the thin lines that are throughout the new ios . Yes, I made all the tweaks, font size, etc, but I am still having issues even after the changes. And I am also having battery issues with the ipad . And I hate the icons and find the calendar unusable, amongst other things

All that I wanted to be able to do is to revert to the io6... And I would be happy, my gf would be happy... We would still be content Apple customers, albeit hopeful that future tweaks would remedy some issues.

BUT Apple, just two days? After release, eliminated our ability to revert. And so we are, like many, many Apple customers, stuck with no recourse but to seek alternative products.

What I had hoped is that if enough people like yourselves supported a longer open window, then Apple would provide some recourse, as happened with the Google maps fiasco. I did not post this to get attention, I am not some troll... I am the guy that waited with you in line with excitement and anticipation to get the latest Apple product

While I do take responsibility for not researching the upgrade prior to acceptance, what you need to understand is that while many of you on this board follow the ios7 developments closely, most consumers don,t. Despite the fact that I loved Apple products, I was very busy with work and, based on my previous trust in Apple upgrades and fixes in the past, just accepted the recommended ios7 I had no idea it was decreed by apple to be a "no turning back" decision. And now that I realize that they took the freedom of choice away from me, I am totally alienated like many others and want to let others know that this Corporation could care less about its customers and that we should pursue other products

I believe it is in all of your interests to support a longer period to revert back to a previous ios. Even if you are thrilled with the new io, what if you downloaded it and the discovered that it created problems that you had not anticipated? And what if you discovered that you could not do anything to go back?

You are the ones who are the core of the Apple support... You are the ones that can effect change, they will listen to you, if anyone.

So please, stand up for the consumer and urge Apple to allow users to revert to a previous ios.

If I could change the title of this thread, it would be " let Apple know that not allowing a longer windows revert to a previous ios is hurting the consumer and alienating many previous Apple enthusiasts"

There are many, many consumers and Apple fans who feel the same:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23181056?ac_cid=tw123456#23181056

Anonymous Freak
Sep 24, 2013, 11:11 PM
As someone who waited on line overnight for the iphone 4, who purchased one for my gf, who purchased an ipad, who purchased an iphone 5.... I hate io7... It is very different than the product and operating systems that I paid my money for... The audacity to be told by apple that I MUST accept the new system like it or not! that there is no way back.... My response is very simple... I WILL NOT EVER purchase another apple product.... I will encourage my friends not to... How dare a company make such an extreme chance to a product and not give its customers the opportunity to get back to the product that they Paid hundreds, thousands of dollars for....

Nobody forced you to upgrade. They didn't tell you that you MUST accept the new system.

So, what is life in "I'm entitled to everything"land like, anyway? Disappointing?

:p

rider96
Sep 24, 2013, 11:15 PM
There was no warning of such a drastic change. Like most unsuspecting consumers, I got a message on my equipment about an upgrade and I upgraded. Luckily I have warned others who have no idea that the product that they purchased is about to be altered in a huge way

braddick
Sep 24, 2013, 11:17 PM
^
As strange as it is, both of you are correct.

Apple makes it too easy to upgrade. The OP's fault lies in not confirming it is truly what he wants to do when he did update.

Frustration, to be sure- but honestly, couldn't Apple have just as easily left the rollback window open for a few extra days?

rider96
Sep 24, 2013, 11:19 PM
The ability to rollback or not is the key. I am - or was - a long time apple enthusiast not some"troll"

Paddle1
Sep 24, 2013, 11:23 PM
It's not that different, it just looks different and has some new features. You're lucky, some peoples iPhones downloaded iOS 7 on it's own while they were asleep, shutting off alarms in the process.

You'll get used to it if you try to use it for a while.

What do you not like about iOS 7?

vastoholic
Sep 24, 2013, 11:25 PM
The ability to rollback or not is the key. I am - or was - a long time apple enthusiast not some"troll"

The ability to read and learn more about the software you are installing before you blindly go for it is key. You say there was no warning. The keynote was back in June and Apple's website has had images and videos of it available to view since then.

dictoresno
Sep 24, 2013, 11:29 PM
There was no warning of such a drastic change. Like most unsuspecting consumers, I got a message on my equipment about an upgrade and I upgraded. Luckily I have warned others who have no idea that the product that they purchased is about to be altered in a huge way

there were 3 months of betas, with numerous reports and videos that showed it off. as an informed member of an apple related forum, where we have the ability to understand and know things your average person doesnt have a clue about, how could you possibly be surprised about the "drastic change". do you live under a rock? its your own fault.

and on a side note, i love ios 7. looks much better than 6.

GimmeSlack12
Sep 24, 2013, 11:30 PM

Long time enthusiast because you had an iPhone 4? That's cute. Show me at least a PPC Mac and then you'll have my attention.

You think you have a say in the direction of Apple's products, but you don't. No one does. That is the quintessential Apple way. When you buy into Apple you are along for the ride, don't expect them to ever take requests. But also don't expect them to let you down.

fullauto
Sep 24, 2013, 11:31 PM
Bye!

dictoresno
Sep 24, 2013, 11:32 PM
oh and good luck with your "movement" or boycott or whatever you think youre gonna do.

rider96
Sep 24, 2013, 11:32 PM
Honestly unlike many of you on this board I was not closely following the development of the new io7. But I AM like the majority of consumers who trust that an upgrade will not seriously alter the product the purchase... They certainly should be able to bring the product back to its previous state ... To not allow that tramples the rights of the consumer

gentlefury
Sep 24, 2013, 11:33 PM
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

juswest
Oh you're serious?

bbfc
It's not that different, it just looks different and has some new features. You're lucky, some peoples iPhones downloaded iOS 7 on it's own while they were asleep, shutting off alarms in the process.

You'll get used to it if you try to use it for a while.

What do you not like about iOS 7?

iOS 7 does not auto-install. You still have to confirm you want to update your device.

DcoalStrat
I love IOS 7

my wife who hate changes (She is not tech savvy, and hate re-learning things esp. Software updates i.e Mac os, Ios, Windows etc.)with all the people that I expect to hate it, love it too.

syd430
Sep 24, 2013, 11:34 PM
Here's what I wrote last week...

All I know is that tens of millions of people that have never heard of ios 7 are going to be pissed when they wake up midweek only to find that their phone looks completely different, having hastily pushed the "update" button the night before without caring to read the changelog. It doesn't matter how good ios 7 is (i personally like it), this is going to be a big fail IMO (the initial rollout).

I've been using iOS 7 since the betas, and while i'm pretty happy with it, I know that the way they are rolling it out (i.e similar to iOS 1-6, and not allowing people to go back after the initial 2-3 day window closes) is going to cause threads like this to start popping up a few days launch, and in my opinion we're only going to see more people like this over time.

Paddle1
Sep 24, 2013, 11:35 PM
What was altered? :confused:

bbfc
Honestly unlike many of you on this board I was not closely following the development of the new io7. But I AM like the majority of consumers who trust that an upgrade will not seriously alter the product the purchase... They certainly should be able to bring the product back to its previous state ... To not allow that tramples the rights of the consumer

This is how it's always been with Apple. If you are a 'follower' then you would of known this. Your iPhone is still the same phone, it's just the software that's changed.

Good luck with your 'movement'.

dictoresno

its their product and they design it how they want. its then your choice to continue to use it or not. you no like, you no buy. and i think the serious altering of the product is in a positive direction.

rider96
Sep 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
its their product and they design it how they want. its then your choice to continue to use it or not. you no like, you no buy. and i think the serious altering of the product is in a positive direction.

It was not that way when I purchased it

dictoresno
Sep 24, 2013, 11:43 PM

its natural progression. things change, get updated and redesigned. its something that we all have to live with and get used to. apple doesnt cater to just you and your likes and dislikes.

dukebound85
Sep 24, 2013, 11:47 PM

You're kidding right?

There has been a lot of news about ios7 before it was released

rider96
Sep 24, 2013, 11:52 PM
its natural progression. things change, get updated and redesigned. its something that we all have to live with and get used to. apple doesnt cater to just you and your likes and dislikes.

Right...let's go paint your car fluorescent green purple and pink overnight ... You just have to live with it, no need catering to your likes and dislikes.... Oh, and sorry it won't start, the battery is drained :)

Anonymous Freak
Sep 24, 2013, 11:54 PM
I've been using iOS 7 since the betas, and while i'm pretty happy with it, I know that the way they are rolling it out (i.e similar to iOS 1-6, and not allowing people to go back after the initial 2-3 day window closes) is going to cause threads like this to start popping up a few days launch, and in my opinion we're only going to see more people like this over time.

What I'm curious about is how many of these completely-uninformed people even knew there was an update?

My wife didn't know there was an update. My son didn't know there was an update. My mom didn't know there was an update.

People who don't pay attention don't even notice that there's an update. (My son was still on 6.0, IIRC.) I demoed it to my wife and son, and they chose to upgrade. My dad demoed it to my mom, and she hasn't decided yet.

crjackson2134
Sep 24, 2013, 11:55 PM
Wow, what a reaction. I waited, read, and even went to a store and tried it out after the release. I liked it and pressed the install button.

You should always test drive a car before purchase. Apple gave you that chance but you made a mistake. Be mad at yourself, not Apple.

syd430
Sep 24, 2013, 11:56 PM

Yes, but at the same time...

http://i.imgur.com/96odw5C.png

Anonymous Freak
Sep 24, 2013, 11:56 PM
Right...let's go paint your car fluorescent green purple and pink overnight ... You just have to live with it, no need catering to your likes and dislikes

More like "HEY! Do you want me to paint your car?!" And you blindly say "Yeah, sure" without even asking anything about how I'm painting it. You could have said "No." You could have researched it first. Which, since you even came here, implies that you know that this site exists, which implies that you follow Apple enough to come here at least once in a while. Which, if you had come by any time in the past 3 months, you would have seen.

Anyway, if you're not a troll, then you have serious entitlement issues. Either way, I'm done engaging you. Your lack of proper research does not constitute an emergency on my part. (Or Apple's.)

dannyyankou
Sep 24, 2013, 11:59 PM
If you've been an apple enthusiast for so long like you claim, you should know the drill by now. New software is announced at WWCC, it's released a few months later, and users can usually downgrade the first couple days after it's released. Oh well, enjoy Android.

rider96
Sep 25, 2013, 12:03 AM
The whole point is the enforcement of the "can't ever go back" policy in light of a major change to the OS Even Microsoft allowed for consumers to reverse the process in a windows upgrade. How can you not see how wrong this is from the consumer's perspective???

----------

If you've been an apple enthusiast for so long like you claim, you should know the drill by now. New software is announced at WWCC, it's released a few months later, and users can usually downgrade the first couple days after it's released. Oh well, enjoy Android.

And it is exactly this smug attitude that will cause consumers to turn away from Apple!

GimmeSlack12
Sep 25, 2013, 12:06 AM
I think you should encourage this thread to be closed.

dictoresno
Sep 25, 2013, 12:08 AM
Right...let's go paint your car fluorescent green purple and pink overnight ... You just have to live with it, no need catering to your likes and dislikes.... Oh, and sorry it won't start, the battery is drained :)

this is irrelevant. if you want to make it a direct comparison to ios 7, then my car painting isnt going to occur for another 3 months. in those three months i have PLENTY of time to review the changes of what my car is gonna look like and even try it if i want with the option of stripping the paint back to the original within minutes if i dont like it.

you dont like it, we get it. but you had all the opportunities in the world to look it over. i like to go through life being informed before making decisions on the most basic things, to the most important. if you want to make blind decisions like the rest of the clueless world, thats on you. just dont come here ranting and raving when it doesnt work out for you.

rider96
Sep 25, 2013, 12:09 AM
So one last OMG how can you not see how wrong it is to not let people who paid hundreds of dollars on a product to revert back to the previous operating system.? Is that so hard to understand????

chraos
Sep 25, 2013, 12:11 AM
The whole point is the enforcement of the "can't ever go back" policy in light of a major change to the OS Even Microsoft allowed for consumers to reverse the process in a windows upgrade. How can you not see how wrong this is from the consumer's perspective???

----------

And it is exactly this smug attitude that will cause consumers to turn away from Apple!

you mean the customers that collectively purchased over 9 million new iPhones running this new software over the weekend? Apple has always worked this way..and always will.....i have yet to see consumers turned off by their "smug attitude" of not allowing rollbacks.
If you are indeed a longtime Apple enthusiast, you should have known how Apple works and what iOS 7 was all about...the very fact you didn't even look into iOS 7 before installing tells me you are not the "Apple enthusiast" you say you are....but I get it, you are pissed off and don't like it.
my advice? move to WP or Android....Android phones are easy to root which gives you the ability to flash whatever ROM/OS you want....but seriously, how could you have possibly not known about iOS 7 and it's massive changes? It was covered by every major news site. Even my local newspaper had an article about it.

dictoresno
Sep 25, 2013, 12:12 AM
So one last OMG how can you not see how wrong it is to not let people who paid hundreds of dollars on a product to revert back to the previous operating system.? Is that so hard to understand????

we get it. i agree that its stupid we cant roll back to a previous OS. but as i stated, its natural software progression. things are designed to go forward, not back. and you arent going to win any arguments here, you made your point already.

Knighthammer
Sep 25, 2013, 12:21 AM

Go get an android - you can have it the way its purchased and good luck if you want an update in its products life time!

12vElectronics
Sep 25, 2013, 12:25 AM
OP has a point. There are A LOT of people that don't go to macrumors, apples website, yet have iPhones. They think "update" means fixing bugs. Adding more time to roll back should be an option that Apple leaves on the table. What they left it open for like 2 days?

rgarjr
Sep 25, 2013, 12:30 AM
Adding more time to roll back should be an option that Apple leaves on the table. What they left it open for like 2 days?

they should leave the window open, dont know why they closed it up.

12vElectronics
Sep 25, 2013, 12:31 AM
they should leave the window open, dont know why they closed it up.

I understand closing it after a certain period of time, but it should be reasonable. 2-3 days isn't enough IMO..

oVerboost
Sep 25, 2013, 12:41 AM
It was well documented online, in the news and on Apple's own website that iOS7 was different, plus the notes within the update described it as a change over iOS6. Keep at it, it'll probably grow on you...

wordoflife
Sep 25, 2013, 12:56 AM
Frustration, to be sure- but honestly, couldn't Apple have just as easily left the rollback window open for a few extra days?

Or why even close it to begin with is what I'm wondering :confused:

Sym0
Sep 25, 2013, 01:04 AM
As someone who waited on line overnight for the iphone 4, who purchased one for my gf, who purchased an ipad, who purchased an iphone 5.... I hate io7... It is very different than the product and operating systems that I paid my money for... The audacity to be told by apple that I MUST accept the new system like it or not! that there is no way back.... My response is very simple... I WILL NOT EVER purchase another apple product.... I will encourage my friends not to... How dare a company make such an extreme change to a product and not give its customers the opportunity to get back to the product that they Paid hundreds, thousands of dollars for....

Hehehe - love these posts, there is always one lurking on every forum who says the same thing every year about every change.

Good for you buddy, most people don't care as much as you do obviously.

Techwing
Sep 25, 2013, 02:47 AM
I have only had an iPhone since July, and it's my first Apple product.

One reason why I updated to iOS 7 only two days after it became available is that I figured it would be easier to move if I wasn't that used to iOS 6, and that proved to be the case. Had I waited two years to installed the new OS, I'd be very accustomed to the old one, and I'd be stressed moving to the new one (although I don't know if I'd swear off Apple products just for that—I think my iPhone is great so far). As it is, with only 60 days' exposure to iOS 6, I've already forgotten what it looked like, and now I'm used to iOS 7.

Design-wise, iOS 7 is neither better nor worse objectively, just different. Lots of new features, though. I suppose for people who have been using iOS 6 since it was first released, iOS 7 is a jarring change.

markie
Sep 25, 2013, 02:48 AM

Other than a huge press conference to announce, months of betas, and another huge press conference at launch? Yeah, no warning at all *rolls eyes*

Seriously, they didn't force you to upgrade you were offered a choice and said yes.

hafr
Sep 25, 2013, 02:57 AM

I agree with you, we should be able to use the iOS version we prefer. On the other hand, I understand why we're not. And you're being childish as all hell for reacting this way over having made an uninformed decision.

bandrews
Sep 25, 2013, 03:10 AM
Who gave authorisation to change all the street lights to electric? I liked the gas ones. They were fine as they were. I pay my council tax and I demand they are reinstated!

Who changed all the trains to electric? I pay my damn yearly travel card. I wasn't consulted. I demand a steam powered train or I'm going to write a letter to my MP!

Are some outraged statements that have probably been yelled over the last century.

Seriously, slap a tacky wood effect wallpaper on it and get over it. Within a week you won't know the difference.

stoney05
Sep 25, 2013, 03:14 AM
So you joined this website back in 2010, are posting on the forums, and didn't know what to expect with iOS 7?

K

roadbloc
Sep 25, 2013, 03:16 AM
K good luck with you movement OP.

nebo1ss
Sep 25, 2013, 03:21 AM
What I'm curious about is how many of these completely-uninformed people even knew there was an update?

My wife didn't know there was an update. My son didn't know there was an update. My mom didn't know there was an update.

People who don't pay attention don't even notice that there's an update. (My son was still on 6.0, IIRC.) I demoed it to my wife and son, and they chose to upgrade. My dad demoed it to my mom, and she hasn't decided yet.

What world do you live in. You plug your phone in Itunes to update music or something and it tells you there is an update.

Tamagotchi
Sep 25, 2013, 03:52 AM

I share your opinion about Apple. I've been an enthusiast since 2001, but not anymore.

I expressed my opinion on a thread, someone called me a troll. Then bad moderation temporarily suspended my account for a few days claiming I was trolling and linking to the comment where I had been called a troll.

People, pls be careful calling others things like troll.

hafr
Sep 25, 2013, 04:02 AM
What world do you live in. You plug your phone in Itunes to update music or something and it tells you there is an update.

My wife hasn't looked at iTunes ever, the only time it gets plugged in to the computer is when it's full and she transfer photos and videos to iPhoto.

Apple really have made it amazingly simple to use the phone without iTunes.

----------

I share your opinion about Apple. I've been an enthusiast since 2001, but not anymore.

I expressed my opinion on a thread, someone called me a troll. Then bad moderation temporarily suspended my account for a few days claiming I was trolling and linking to the comment where I had been called a troll.

People, pls be careful calling others things like troll.

Funny, I've been suspended for calling another member a troll, but I have yet to see a single report of mine where other people call others trolls result in any kind of suspension.

MarcBook
Sep 25, 2013, 04:09 AM
I would normally type out a constructive response, but this thread is just too ridiculous.

My advice to OP: don't bother starting any kind of 'movement', just deal with it. You'll get used to it after a while and then you'll realise how silly it was kicking up such a fuss.

ri0ku
Sep 25, 2013, 04:23 AM
The updater tells you what was going to change... including the UI

If you are or were such an Apple fan and you buy loads of their stuff surely you would have known about IOS 7 which would mean you knew it was coming and what it looked like.

Stop crying learn to love the rainbow.

itsmemuffins
Sep 25, 2013, 04:46 AM
As someone who waited on line overnight for the iphone 4, who purchased one for my gf, who purchased an ipad, who purchased an iphone 5.... I hate io7... It is very different than the product and operating systems that I paid my money for... The audacity to be told by apple that I MUST accept the new system like it or not! that there is no way back.... My response is very simple... I WILL NOT EVER purchase another apple product.... I will encourage my friends not to... How dare a company make such an extreme change to a product and not give its customers the opportunity to get back to the product that they Paid hundreds, thousands of dollars for....

BooHoo:rolleyes:

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 05:44 AM

Did they take things away from you? Functionality? Can you still make phone calls? Can you text? Can you check the weather? Can you surf the Internet? Can you play a game? Can you listen to music? Can you watch a movie? Can you check sports scores?

That's what I thought. You still have the same product, just a different coat of paint.

The update notes (that you see and can read ok the same page as where you hit "update") state that there was a new design. You could have looked into that before updating the software.

torres86
Sep 25, 2013, 07:56 AM
You can rollback OSX. Why can't do the same with the iPhone or the iPad? :confused:

rider96
Sep 25, 2013, 08:00 AM
It's amazing how so many of you blindly accept whatever it is that Apple policy and don,t even assert your individual rights - as if God himself had decreed that we all must accept a change and there is no turning back. Anyone who resists the will of the mighty apple is a winer or a troll who must, MUST accept the will of apple .... You can not see how important it is to allow the consumer to revert back to a previous OS in the wake of a major redesign. You do not see that most users of the iphone do not closely follow OS design changes but merely get a message on their phone that says that there is a software change that is recommended.... You can not see that it would be fair, right and just to allow access to io6 for a longer time so that those that .... I find that stunning and very revealing about some of the previous commenters

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 08:02 AM
It's amazing how so many of you blindly accept whatever it is that Apple policy and don,t even assert your individual rights - as if God himself had decreed that we all must accept a change and there is no turning back. Anyone who resists the will of the mighty apple is a winer or a troll who must, MUST accept the will of apple .... You can not see how important it is to allow the consumer to revert back to a previous OS in the wake of a major redesign. You do not see that most users of the iphone do not closely follow OS design changes but merely get a message on their phone that says that there is a software change that is recommended.... You can not see that it would be fair, right and just to allow access to io7 for a longer time so that those that .... I find that stunning and very revealing about some of the previous commenters

1) You were not forced to update. On the same page as where it says there's an update and has you press to install and update, there is a description paragraph of the update that said that there was a major design change to iOS. One would think that a user would see that, and maybe want to check it out before updating with this new UI? And if they had, you would see the page for iOS 7 on the front page of Apple.com. It's your own fault, so stop complaining.

2) Many, including myself, are very happy with iOS 7. I've been using iOS for 6 years and it is by far the best version of iOS in my opinion, and the re-design was much needed.

CTHarrryH
Sep 25, 2013, 08:11 AM
long term eh? I had an Apple II (not II+ or IIe) - that is a long term Apple person.

Use it for a while - sure ios 7 takes a bit to get used to but I have found after a couple of days it is OK - Some things are better and some are about the same and some worse but moving forward always has things to learn and things that may not make sense.

It you hate it and what Apple has done to you - then leave - thousands do every year and thousands come.

DJLC
Sep 25, 2013, 08:11 AM

Really? Because every one of my co-workers and students knew about iOS 7. If not before release, they certainly did after the release. This is evidenced by the number of them who asked me before they hit "Update."

And even the oldest members of our staff have updated and love it. There was a warning, and you're not a victim.

Sure, you can't go back. IIRC, it has been this way since it was called iPhone OS.

rider96
Sep 25, 2013, 08:14 AM
[QUOTE=Tyler23;18005636]1) You were not forced to update. On the same page as where it says there's an update and has you press to install and update, there is a description paragraph of the update that said that there was a major design change to iOS. One would think that a user would see that, and maybe want to check it out before updating with this new UI? And if they had, you would see the page for iOS 7 on the front page of Apple.com. It's your own fault, so stop complaining.

2) Many, including myself, are very happy with iOS 7. I've been using iOS for 6 years and it is by far the best version of iOS in my opinion, and the re-design was much

It is my fault that they don,t allow one to go back to the previous OS? How is that my fault? Again, you keep going back to the issue of accepting the update, and not what this is about, which is the policy to not allow one to get access to io6!

dhlizard
Sep 25, 2013, 08:18 AM

So you waited in line a few times to get the "newest & grandest".
We all have, I've done the same times 2 (X2 - my wife likes newest and grandest also)

And I am not a fan of iOS7 either, but since you have had iDevices since the iPhone 4, the inability to revert the firmware (unless you jailbreak) is no surprise.

----------

I think you crossed the bridge to Trollsville with this thread :rolleyes:

NT1440
Sep 25, 2013, 08:19 AM
The whole point is the enforcement of the "can't ever go back" policy in light of a major change to the OS Even Microsoft allowed for consumers to reverse the process in a windows upgrade. How can you not see how wrong this is from the consumer's perspective??

So you have been under a rock. Ever hear of windows 8 and consumers desire to have 7 instead?:rolleyes:

sjinsjca
Sep 25, 2013, 08:19 AM
The audacity to be told by apple that I MUST accept the new system like it or not!

Yeah, I really resented it when Tim Cook put a gun to my head and told me I MUST accept the upgrade.

Sheesh.

iOS7 is an improvement, with many advances. Roll with it for a couple weeks and you'll not only come to accept it, you'll probably like it quite a lot.

As to the inability to roll back, that's been the case with all the big updates from the very beginning. I don't really understand the technical reasons for it, but it's not new and it's not specific to iOS 7.

dhlizard
Sep 25, 2013, 08:20 AM
You're kidding right?

There has been a lot of news about ios7 before it was released

Agree. Threadstarter would have to have been "off the grid" for months not to have been aware of this drastic revamp.
The new design for iOS has been in the news, TV, print and radio, plastered entirely across the internet, and every other medium I can think of.

You say you are an enthusiast? Yet you never saw even ONE thing about iOS7? not even ONE picture? I call BS. the front page of every Apple/iphone site was plastered with images and reviews! lol

Not just Apple related sites, the whole spectrum of information has been buzzing with news of the change.

iapplelove
Sep 25, 2013, 08:21 AM
:apple:

nefan65

I usually have my movements in the morning, after coffee...

aristobrat
It is my fault that they don,t allow one to go back to the previous OS? How is that my fault?
So you're going to start a movement today about a situation (not being able to go back to the previous OS) that's existed since 2008? :eek:

Chazz08
Sep 25, 2013, 08:22 AM
I'm so tired of people saying its WAY different. It's not. Get over it. The icons are different, holy crap! What am I to do!?!?! Everything else works the same, but I have a few extra features that are convent! This makes me so angry! Why would they improve this! I'm never buying an Apple product again because they improve them. That's that. I'm finished with Apple!

DJLC
Sep 25, 2013, 08:22 AM
It is my fault that they don,t allow one to go back to the previous OS? How is that my fault? Again, you keep going back to the issue of accepting the update, and not what this is about, which is the policy to not allow one to get access to io6!

Right, but you had access to iOS 6. You made the conscious decision to forfeit that when you hit "Update." It was optional and you had all the opportunity in the world to learn about it before you got it.

Although really, if you had saved your blobs and the IPSW you could still revert to iOS 6.

If you want to talk about consumer rights, let's talk about how you typically won't get ANY updates on an Android phone and how there are hundreds of Android tablet models out that quite simply don't work. Then let's compare that to iOS, where major OS updates are free and everything works as advertised.

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 08:24 AM

It's because they don't want to have to support two different versions of iOS at the same time.

And yes, it's your fault for blindly updating. You said we just conform to whatever Apple wants for liking iOS 7 and accepting it - what's with you blindly updating just because Apple released an update? Don't get mad at Apple because you are an ignorant user. They say there is a significant redesign to the User Interface, it might make sense to take a look at what the redesign looks like before updating.

Knowledge is power.

CB1234
Sep 25, 2013, 08:25 AM
Reading through through OP's rant - only movement I am getting is 'bowel movement' !!!!

dhlizard
Sep 25, 2013, 08:26 AM

We have heard this for years, yet the Apple share of the smartphone market continues to grow, every year.

It's a simple concept. If you don't like the new firmware, sell your iDevice on Craigslist or eBay and find a system you like better.

But man up, accept the responsibility that YOU didn't adequately research before you jumped and show some maturity.

melb00m
Sep 25, 2013, 08:32 AM

I understand some people are rather reluctant to change, and thus are shocked when installing iOS 7 without knowing what they're going to get. And, no question, iOS 7 doesn't suit everybody's taste. But that's ok, neither did the old look.

The thing is that Apple has these limitations for a reason -- they don't want a level of fragmentation as in Android, where some new devices STILL are sold with the years-old 2.3 version.

The people that complain about not going to be able to go back to iOS 6 now are the same that would complain 2 months later if they could that they don't get any App- and security-updates any more.

Tl;dr -- I understand why you want to go back if you don't like it. But the decision that you cannot is there for a reason. Functionality wise, you didn't lose anything, and if the visuals disgust you that much go look for a different mobile OS in the future.

StaticFX
Sep 25, 2013, 08:32 AM

not even sure where to start!

1) apple will not miss you.
2) iOS7 is the same as iOS6,5 etc.. just a different look and more features. Much the same way Windows8 is... this is normal for companies to update and evolve their OS. Apple has been LOOOONG overdue for something like this, and in my opinion iOS7 was still not enough change.
3) Apple never alows people to go "back" for more than a few days from release...as a fan of apple, you should know this as well.

one word... research

You say you are an enthusiast? Yet you never saw even ONE thing about iOS7? not even ONE picture? I call BS. the front page of every Apple/iphone site was plastered with images and reviews! lol

Eso
Sep 25, 2013, 08:33 AM
The OP has convinced me!

Windows Phone® devices offer the latest in technology without the poor user experience of the other phones that make you use them a certain way. That's because Windows Phone® isn't built for all of us, but for each of us. It's the smartphone reinvented around you.

OP, please help me decided which Windows Phone® device would be best for me.

borostef
Sep 25, 2013, 08:38 AM
The ability to read and learn more about the software you are installing before you blindly go for it is key. You say there was no warning. The keynote was back in June and Apple's website has had images and videos of it available to view since then.

You have to understand that there are people who do not follow those kind of news or events... Who liked the way their iDevices looked and worked, and who consider them to be appliances and nothing more... And that is the way Apple wanted things to be... And now, maybe for the first time, they relase an update that changes, not only the looks of iOS, but also many functionalities in it... Some like those changes, some do not, and thats alright... But, maybe they could have left the rollback window open a bit longer this time... For those who don't follow tech news or aren't members of any tech forums...

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 08:47 AM
You have to understand that there are people who do not follow those kind of news or events... Who liked the way their iDevices looked and worked, and who consider them to be appliances and nothing more... And that is the way Apple wanted things to be... And now, maybe for the first time, they relase an update that changes, not only the looks of iOS, but also many functionalities in it... Some like those changes, some do not, and thats alright... But, maybe they could have left the rollback window open a bit longer this time... For those who don't follow tech news or aren't members of any tech forums...

You don't need to follow tech news or be a member of tech forums to see - in the update description, right above where you press download and install - that it says there is a significant change to the user interface, and to go to apple.com to see the iOS 7 info link on the front page of their website.

Triangle Man
Sep 25, 2013, 08:54 AM
The iPhone no longer even looks or feels like an Apple product anymore. It's pretty sad. I miss the days where iOS and Mac OS looked similar. I miss the photo-realistic icons and interface elements. Now it's all just white and blue. It reminds me of going all the way back to Mac System 7.0 where everything was very flat and high contrast.

sunking101
Sep 25, 2013, 08:55 AM

That's it, in a nutshell :-)
Apple should have said "This update will first and foremost make your battery perform like it's four years old. Next up, the screen of your device will have horribly bright white and green colours. The notes and calendar apps will be ruined. If you don't accept these changes then we urge you not to update your device."

iCarabma
Sep 25, 2013, 09:01 AM
Here's what I wrote last week...

Very true. But then there will be less. After Apple goes out of business because of the OP's grassroots campaign to stop people from buying things on the App Store this house of cards will come tumbling down. And there will be nothing to complain about.

Either that or people will get used to iOS 7 and move on to posting about the next huge misstep that will destroy Apple.

nefan65
Sep 25, 2013, 09:10 AM
Very true. But then there will be less. After Apple goes out of business because of the OP's grassroots campaign to stop people from buying things on the App Store this house of cards will come tumbling down. And there will be nothing to complain about.

Either that or people will get used to iOS 7 and move on to posting about the next huge misstep that will destroy Apple.

^^^ THIS

It's been going on since iPhone 4 was released. I remember the "OMG! It's GLASS?! Are they insane? It will break within the first week! What were they thinking?! This is the beginning of the end for Apple!". Then it was the iPhone 4s; "It's nothing more than a 4 with an s!?" "They no longer innovate, they're doomed!" "The DROID WILL EAT THEIR LUNCH!".

And here we are, 5 + years later and the beat goes on...

ugahairydawgs
Sep 25, 2013, 09:14 AM

Seriously....just stop. If you are so into Apple stuff that you took the time to join this site, then you had plenty of "warning". If you just blindly update without looking to see what is going on, well....that's a you problem.

But everything is not for everyone. If you don't like it then you are free to vote with your wallet and move onto something else.

Merkyworks
Sep 25, 2013, 09:16 AM
.... You can not see how important it is to allow the consumer to revert back to a previous OS in the wake of a major redesign. .... You can not see that it would be fair, right and just to allow access to io6 for a longer time so that those that

Perhaps in previous iOS updates this might be feasible but iOS7 was a complete redesign which means all iOS apps had/have updates to make then function correctly. All those apps then wouldn't work correctly if you reverted back to iOS6. Apples motto is "It just works" so by allowing you to revert back would cause apps to crash and then have a bad user experience; kind of like android if you as me:rolleyes:.

Also as many have already pointed out you really can't be die hard Apple fan if you had no clue about iOS7 and rubbing salt on the wounds is that your a MacRumors forum member. The reality is your not a die hard Apple fan but a pissed off person who has around $1000 in Apple hardware that you now don't like using. Your 100% in your rights to state you don't like the change and that you will leave Apple products behind. But I really hope your not so naive to think that you will have any impact on Apple's bototm line and also that any other OS/phone maker will really be any different. This is just the way the electronics world is plan and simple.

sunking101
Sep 25, 2013, 09:21 AM
Seriously....just stop. If you are so into Apple stuff that you took the time to join this site, then you had plenty of "warning". If you just blindly update without looking to see what is going on, well....that's a you problem.

But everything is not for everyone. If you don't like it then you are free to vote with your wallet and move onto something else.

There was no warning about the severe battery drain.

Jaekae
Sep 25, 2013, 09:21 AM
go back to ios6 if you dont like it, then you have what you paid for.

i love ios7 and feel i got more than i paid for now with this upgrade

Merkyworks
Sep 25, 2013, 09:28 AM

Really!?

Every time and I mean every time a new iOS comes out or an update for iOS comes out this board blows up with "severe battery drain" issues.

sunking101
Sep 25, 2013, 09:36 AM
Really!?

Every time and I mean every time a new iOS comes out or an update for iOS comes out this board blows up with "severe battery drain" issues.

Yes and every time a clean install, not updating from backup and switching off some power hungry settings fixes it. I know that, I'm a longtime iPhone owner. Only this time those steps haven't cured the problem on my iPhone 5. Fact.

fedecape
Sep 25, 2013, 09:36 AM
why is everybody so frustrated with iOS 7.. is the same thing with a different appearance.. finally something new.

rwilliams
Sep 25, 2013, 09:45 AM

I mean no harm by asking this question - but did you not see any screenshots or videos of iOS 7 in action before you upgraded? Apple.com had an entire section that showed the drastic UI changes, as did a lot of other tech websites. I'm sorry that you are now stuck with an OS that you don't like, but there was plenty of "warning" about the change.

Where I do agree with you is on Apple allowing users to go back to the previous OS. I've never agreed with them refusing to sign for the previous iOS version once a new one hits the streets.

Afbar1114
Sep 25, 2013, 09:48 AM
this is long:

i really didnt read every thread but i did read the OP's first one and everything on the front page. but alot of people aready said there was months of warnings and seeing that you have signed up in 2010 just dont know how active you are. you would have been almost no correct that...100% have seen mention of iOS 7 and the changes. I came to iOS when i got the iPad 3 which had iOS 5.

the only change i see is graphical. yes there may be more settings and other behind the scene changes but its much faster to me at least and more smother. time changes everything and sometimes companies either must adapt, change everything or be left in the dust. look at black berry. once the most popular smartphone now going on there way out. they did not adapt, they did not change or make changes but bet on because they were the most poplar smartphone they didnt need change but loyalty would have won them over...well they lost and by the end of the year i think we will see black berry out of business with patents being sold to either android or apple.

people like change if your not one of those people that need to adapt in an ever so fast paced world then good for you. but i would also suspect to seem some of the iOS 7 graphical changes in the new os x update with "flat" looking. apple needed to change the way iOS 7 looked because it was the same old looking ios for about 6 years. it was a much needed refresh and sales and downloads showed that. to have iOS 7 on over 200 million devices in the first couple of days was fast and to sell over 9 million phones in 3 days was on heard of. apple has and always will be a market disrupter, although they take there time to make sure there stuff works before pushing it out. it works end of story.

apple updates there products once a year and people still buy them. they arent the biggest company in the world (in terms of market cap) for nothing. people still and always will buy there products.

but you are entitled to your opinion but dont come on here thinking every one feels the same and not to buy apple again because of one change. sorry for the rant.

Elvergun
Sep 25, 2013, 09:51 AM

I upgraded my iPad and downgraded the next day.

Apple is not signing the OS now, so you can't do the same. You might not be a troll, but you are an uninformed customer bitching and moaning about something that is your own fault. You upgraded = your fault. You were not informed about the window of opportunity to downgrade to iOS6 = your fault.

sb22
Sep 25, 2013, 09:53 AM
Pretty pathetic, these kind of complaints.

I'd get it if they made a complete overhaul of everything, but my autistic 4 year old and 2 year old had no issues once they realised there was no lock slider bar. Says it all really

They dont even notice any difference.

A lot of people making something out of nothing!

Thierry ba
Sep 25, 2013, 09:54 AM

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jun2007/Babushka.gif

Aspasia
Sep 25, 2013, 09:59 AM
It's amazing how so many of you blindly accept whatever it is that Apple policy and don,t even assert your individual rights - as if God himself had decreed that we all must accept a change and there is no turning back. Anyone who resists the will of the mighty apple is a winer or a troll who must, MUST accept the will of apple .... You can not see how important it is to allow the consumer to revert back to a previous OS in the wake of a major redesign. You do not see that most users of the iphone do not closely follow OS design changes but merely get a message on their phone that says that there is a software change that is recommended.... You can not see that it would be fair, right and just to allow access to io6 for a longer time so that those that .... I find that stunning and very revealing about some of the previous commenters

You are forgetting one important aspect: with individual rights come individual responsibilities.

As an owner of an iPad 2 and iPodT5, I assert both rights and responsibilities each time an app or iOS is updated, or a new iOS is introduced.

I think before I act and make it a point to learn about the update, read what the devs claim, and what early adopters have to say. Reviews can be enormously helpful. Right now both devices are on iOS 6.1.3 - but will be upgraded this weekend to iOS 7 - and I'll never look back.

Don't blame Apple for your own lack of curiosity.

ra4oasis
Sep 25, 2013, 10:13 AM
Someone close this thread, seriously.

ugahairydawgs
Sep 25, 2013, 10:16 AM

If you have severe battery drain, then restore to factory and set it up as a new phone. Plenty of folks not having a single issue with their battery in iOS 7. If anything I've personally seen an improvement in battery life going from 6 to 7.

SatManager
Sep 25, 2013, 10:18 AM
[QUOTE=Tyler23;18005636]1) You were not forced to update. On the same page as where it says there's an update and has you press to install and update, there is a description paragraph of the update that said that there was a major design change to iOS. One would think that a user would see that, and maybe want to check it out before updating with this new UI? And if they had, you would see the page for iOS 7 on the front page of Apple.com. It's your own fault, so stop complaining.

2) Many, including myself, are very happy with iOS 7. I've been using iOS for 6 years and it is by far the best version of iOS in my opinion, and the re-design was much

My belief is that Apple closed the rollback to iOS 6 was due to the security that was built into iOS 7. When they built the Activation Lock security into iOS 7, they didn't want anyone to attempt to override by going back to an older version of the iOS. This is my opinion but it does seem reasonable with the direction that Apple has taken with implementing security protocols after the Apple ID fiasco they went through.

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 10:24 AM
My belief is that Apple closed the rollback to iOS 6 was due to the security that was built into iOS 7. When they built the Activation Lock security into iOS 7, they didn't want anyone to attempt to override by going back to an older version of the iOS. This is my opinion but it does seem reasonable with the direction that Apple has taken with implementing security protocols after the Apple ID fiasco they went through.

They always close the rollback, it's not new with iOS 7.

TheAaron
Sep 25, 2013, 10:27 AM
To be on macrumors and dont know about ios7 ??

borostef
Sep 25, 2013, 10:30 AM
You don't need to follow tech news or be a member of tech forums to see - in the update description, right above where you press download and install - that it says there is a significant change to the user interface, and to go to apple.com to see the iOS 7 info link on the front page of their website.

And it says what? There is a beautiful new design? OK, fair enough... I don't think that it is beautiful, but I checked before I updated, didn't like it, didn't update...
But that's me and you... A friend of mine, who didn't check, as she never does, because until now there wasn't a need to check, updated and now I just get phone calls asking me... "What is this, where is that thing that used to be there..."
And that is the way most users update... We, here, on the Macrumors forums are a minority, we talk and discuss about changes months before they happen...
But, that's just us...
All I'm saying... If the change is so big, and it is, just leave an option to go back for a while longer...

Armen
Sep 25, 2013, 10:33 AM

You realize you are only depriving/hurting yourself with your "movement" right?

What's next? are you going to boycott Microsoft as well when they force XP users to upgrade in April 2014 because they will no longer support XP and Office 2003?

Gav2k
Sep 25, 2013, 10:34 AM
I start a movement every day usually about 2 hours after I get up!

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 10:44 AM
And it says what? There is a beautiful new design? OK, fair enough... I don't think that it is beautiful, but I checked before I updated, didn't like it, didn't update...
But that's me and you... A friend of mine, who didn't check, as she never does, because until now there wasn't a need to check, updated and now I just get phone calls asking me... "What is this, where is that thing that used to be there..."
And that is the way most users update... We, here, on the Macrumors forums are a minority, we talk and discuss about changes months before they happen...
But, that's just us...
All I'm saying... If the change is so big, and it is, just leave an option to go back for a while longer...

If someone isn't willing to read even 4 sentences about the update when updating - then anything after is their fault. Apple gives you the information, it's the user's responsibility to look into these things.

lke
Sep 25, 2013, 10:44 AM
I have buy all iphones since the first one and I could say that I was bored with the old ios.

All people that I know that have installed ios 7 love it.ñ

It is simply the best OS out there.

You could downgrade to ios 6 but it is like having going to the past, anyway you can do it.

And please don't cry like a kid, there is always a solution for almost everything.

Sooner or later you will end loving ios 7

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
I have buy all iphones since the first one and I could say that I was bored with the old ios.

All people that I know that have installed ios 7 love it.ñ

It is simply the best OS out there.

You could downgrade to ios 6 but it is like having going to the past, anyway you can do it.

And please don't cry like a kid, there is always a solution for almost everything.

Sooner or later you will end loving ios 7

You can't downgrade unless you're on an iPhone 4 or earlier, and even then only if you have blobs saved.

Yptcn
Sep 25, 2013, 10:46 AM
Yes and every time a clean install, not updating from backup and switching off some power hungry settings fixes it. I know that, I'm a longtime iPhone owner. Only this time those steps haven't cured the problem on my iPhone 5. Fact.

Clean install and switching off a couple of settings has made my battery last longer that on iOS 6 . Fact .

JarScott
Sep 25, 2013, 10:47 AM
there were 3 months of betas, with numerous reports and videos that showed it off. as an informed member of an apple related forum, where we have the ability to understand and know things your average person doesnt have a clue about, how could you possibly be surprised about the "drastic change". do you live under a rock? its your own fault.

and on a side note, i love ios 7. looks much better than 6.

This. Anyone who is an Apple enthusiast and didn't know iOS 7 was coming is clearly living in a cave with no internet connection or TV. It's not ignorant to say that, it's true. How can you be such an Apple 'fan' and not have a clue about iOS 7 before release? Heck, some of my friends who only have an iPhone and never check Apple news still knew what it was they just were unsure when they could get it - they turned to me for answers. The point is, they still knew it was coming and they weren't necessarily even fans.

Yptcn
Sep 25, 2013, 10:49 AM
If someone isn't willing to read even 4 sentences about the update when updating - then anything after is their fault. Apple gives you the information, it's the user's responsibility to look into these things.

Absolutely !

Merkyworks
Sep 25, 2013, 10:52 AM
I start a movement every day usually about 2 hours after I get up!

haha, I agree with this movement

old-wiz
Sep 25, 2013, 10:58 AM
haha, I agree with this movement

This is an unstoppable worldwide movement. Unfortunately has no connection to IOS 7.

Mr-Kerrse
Sep 25, 2013, 11:04 AM
Even my my 70 year old mother knew about the IOS7 update, seriously stop moaning & go by an android phone in future. I am sure they will let you run your phones on morse code :D

stuffradio
Sep 25, 2013, 11:09 AM

*facepalm* I waited in line for an iPhone 4 also. It was only an hour because I wanted it badly. I went to Best Buy, and only 6 or 8 people were in front of me at 8 am. There were only one or two phones for a different carrier for new accounts. I got mine later on the phone. It is your job to see all the reviews or previews of what iOS 7 looks like and decide for yourself if you want it. If you don't want it, you could have stayed back on iOS 6. It's your fault for not reading about it.

Crispy Duck
Sep 25, 2013, 11:13 AM
this is long:

i really didnt read every thread but i did read the OP's first one and everything on the front page. but alot of people aready said there was months of warnings and seeing that you have signed up in 2010 just dont know how active you are. you would have been almost no correct that...100% have seen mention of iOS 7 and the changes. I came to iOS when i got the iPad 3 which had iOS 5.

the only change i see is graphical. yes there may be more settings and other behind the scene changes but its much faster to me at least and more smother. time changes everything and sometimes companies either must adapt, change everything or be left in the dust. look at black berry. once the most popular smartphone now going on there way out. they did not adapt, they did not change or make changes but bet on because they were the most poplar smartphone they didnt need change but loyalty would have won them over...well they lost and by the end of the year i think we will see black berry out of business with patents being sold to either android or apple.

people like change if your not one of those people that need to adapt in an ever so fast paced world then good for you. but i would also suspect to seem some of the iOS 7 graphical changes in the new os x update with "flat" looking. apple needed to change the way iOS 7 looked because it was the same old looking ios for about 6 years. it was a much needed refresh and sales and downloads showed that. to have iOS 7 on over 200 million devices in the first couple of days was fast and to sell over 9 million phones in 3 days was on heard of. apple has and always will be a market disrupter, although they take there time to make sure there stuff works before pushing it out. it works end of story.

apple updates there products once a year and people still buy them. they arent the biggest company in the world (in terms of market cap) for nothing. people still and always will buy there products.

but you are entitled to your opinion but dont come on here thinking every one feels the same and not to buy apple again because of one change. sorry for the rant.

Have you never heard of capital letters, punctuation and the difference between there and their?

Sorry for the rant.

Gav2k
Sep 25, 2013, 11:14 AM
This is an unstoppable worldwide movement. Unfortunately has no connection to IOS 7.

Oh it does!

dannyyankou
Sep 25, 2013, 11:15 AM
Another solution: Buy an iPhone 3GS on ebay for under $100. You'll be guaranteed iOS 6 for life.

bobr1952
Sep 25, 2013, 11:24 AM
wow--that is quite a reaction to what I consider not really a big deal. I updated and really nothing has changed as far as how I use my iPhone--still intuitive enough for me to do everything I want--don't really get why the OP is making such a big deal of it--oh well--life goes on....

poplars
Sep 25, 2013, 11:27 AM
I agree that people should have known what they were getting into with the dramatic ui change, but they did not know what kind of bugs and choppy performance they were going to get out of the update...

I feel that there should be an ability to go back in the beginning of every major release... How is the average user going to know of the issues that await them on ios from the mere description of the update? Its a bit smug of you guys to act like we should have anticipated all the problems before clicking update.

And to those comparing this to a paint job on your car, are you kidding me? We are talking about an operating system update, this is rewritable code, not stripping off paint, sanding and polishing and repainting, this is nothing even close to relative.

WeegieMac
Sep 25, 2013, 11:33 AM

You're a long term Apple enthusiast but you claim you had "no warning of such drastic change". Seriously?

I agree Apple should allow users to roll back to previous versions if they wish, but you contradict yourself a little within two posts.

Yptcn
Sep 25, 2013, 11:38 AM
Another solution: Buy an iPhone 3GS on ebay for under $100. You'll be guaranteed iOS 6 for life.

Now that's a brilliant idea ! LOL.

Todd B.
Sep 25, 2013, 11:59 AM

How was there no warning of a drastic change despite that being all they talked about all summer - including having an entire page dedicated to it on apple.com after WWDC?

matttye
Sep 25, 2013, 12:08 PM

The upgrade notes said there was a completely new design. On reading that information, why did you not go and look at the new design on a search engine before upgrading?

----------

What you'd have to do is post a note through his letterbox saying,

"Please contact us if you want us to paint your car."

Given that the update notes did mention the complete redesign and you had the choice of not upgrading.

Painting someone's car without asking them isn't even close to the same thing.

gentlefury
Sep 25, 2013, 12:09 PM
The upgrade notes said there was a completely new design. On reading that information, why did you not go and look at the new design on a search engine before upgrading?

----------

What you'd have to do is post a note through his letterbox saying,

"Please contact us if you want us to paint your car."

Given that the update notes did mention the complete redesign and you had the choice of not upgrading.

Painting someone's car without asking them isn't even close to the same thing.

Logic doesn't play into ranters. Don't even try.

dannyyankou
Sep 25, 2013, 12:12 PM
If this doesn't scream "DRASTIC CHANGE !", I don't know what will.

http://assets.ilounge.com/images/uploads/ios7screenupdate.jpg

jahall05
Sep 25, 2013, 12:14 PM
there were 3 months of betas, with numerous reports and videos that showed it off. As an informed member of an apple related forum, where we have the ability to understand and know things your average person doesnt have a clue about, how could you possibly be surprised about the "drastic change". Do you live under a rock? Its your own fault.

And on a side note, i love ios 7. Looks much better than 6.

this.

matttye
Sep 25, 2013, 12:17 PM

Image (http://assets.ilounge.com/images/uploads/ios7screenupdate.jpg)

They could only have made it clearer if they displayed flashing letters saying "drastic design change."

You have to go through a screen with the update notes before you can even upgrade the software.

OP obviously tunnel visioned straight to the "Download & Install" button without reading about the changes at all.

walkie
For threads like this one I still haven't upgraded to iOS7, still enjoying iOS6 :cool: that makes ALMOST everything I want and doesn't feel laggy, maybe someday I will upgrade.

AppleRobert
Geez Louise! Just let this thread die. The OP can do whatever they like. Like their movement is going to go anywhere so.....

Geez Louise!

asleep
Sep 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
I'm starting a movement....
Here's hoping the OP doesn't strain himself while having his movement. http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/spoop_smileypooping_100-1042.gif

walkie
Sep 25, 2013, 12:27 PM
Here's hoping the OP doesn't strain himself while having his movement. Image (http://smileyshack.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/spoop_smileypooping_100-1042.gif)

Bowel movement? LOL :)

MadSkillzPhan
Sep 25, 2013, 12:28 PM
cry me a river... build a bridge and get over it.....

UnDholly
Sep 25, 2013, 12:30 PM
I like iOS 7 but something I dont understand.
For exmaple ... Why I cannot change options in control center ???
I mean I never use
-Do Not Disturb
-Timer

Also... for what need lighter or bluetooth ... ?

Who use this often ? I dont use this ****, but use often tumbler 3G because sometimes when I need fast internet I use 3G if dont need I just off... because battery not from rubber soo...everytime need open Settings > Cellular ...
Why Apple dont give facilities for change control panel how you want...

Really stupid decision ...

Sep 25, 2013, 12:31 PM
You're a long term Apple enthusiast but you claim you had "no warning of such drastic change". Seriously?

I agree Apple should allow users to roll back to previous versions if they wish, but you contradict yourself a little within two posts.

Despite the stupidly ironic or condescending replies to his plea, the OP DOES HAVE a point.

And why? Because the ordinary user, not used to participating in forums such as this nor having time to read long descriptions of what has been "improved", is prone to tapping a single button that then leads to the upgrade process in his own iDevice. Call it lack of attention, mistake, whatever - but one should still have the possibility to roll back.

In fact, this happened a couple of days ago with my father (decidedly not an IT-savvy person), who saw Apple's pop-up message for iOS7 and innocently tapped on it in his iPad, only to discover later that he had a totally new UI and so on. He is not exactly complaining about it; but the sheer number of changes (such as Safari page handling) makes for a considerable learning curve when it comes to people who are not used to pushing buttons.

Indeed, Apple has NEVER blocked the possibility for anyone to roll back OSs (on Macs) unless the device itself already came with whatever latest version of its OS (or depended on System Enablers in the case of earlier System versions). Apple's decision to stop signing iOS 6 is absolutely arbitrary and has nothing to do with security or compatibility concerns.

At the very least, they should allow customers to use the immediately preceding version of ANY OS (again, unless the device itself cannot use it). This possibility makes sense EVEN if someone is totally knowledgeable or aware of the upcoming changes, which can NEVER be totally perceived or understood until you are using the new OS yourself (the threads about "hidden" iOS7 features are just further evidence of that).

So yes, the OP definitely has my support on this principle.

matttye
Sep 25, 2013, 12:33 PM
Despite the stupidly ironic or condescending replies to his plea, the OP DOES HAVE a point.

And why? Because the ordinary user, not used to participating in forums such as this nor having time to read long descriptions of what has been "improved", is prone to tapping a single button that then leads to the upgrade process in his own iDevice. Call it lack of attention, mistake, whatever - but one should still have the possibility to roll back.

In fact, this happened a couple of days ago with my father (decidedly not an IT-savvy person), who saw Apple's pop-up message for iOS7 and innocently tapped on it in his iPad, only to discover later that he had a totally new UI and so on. He is not exactly complaining about it; but the sheer number of changes (such as Safari page handling) makes for a considerable learning curve when it comes to people who are not used to pushing buttons.

Indeed, Apple has NEVER blocked the possibility for anyone to roll back OSs (on Macs) unless the device itself already came with whatever latest version of its OS (or depended on System Enablers in the case of earlier System versions). Apple's decision to stop signing iOS 6 is absolutely arbitrary and has nothing to do with security or compatibility concerns.

At the very least, they should allow customers to use the immediately preceding version of ANY OS (again, unless the device itself cannot use it). This possibility makes sense EVEN if someone is totally knowledgeable or aware of the upcoming changes, which can NEVER be totally perceived or understood until you are using the new OS yourself (the threads about "hidden" iOS7 features are just further evidence of that).

I don't disagree with the premise, just the way he's going about it.

rider96
Sep 25, 2013, 12:34 PM
Yes, Attack the op iinstead of supporting a simple request to allow the consumer to go back to a previous operating system.... Well I am not the only person out there that is furious about this. Many of you keep encouraging us to go to competitors products instead... Sadly that may be the only way to go....

WeegieMac
Sep 25, 2013, 12:38 PM

I wasn't being stupidly ironic or condescending, my point was serious. I fail to see how an Apple enthusiast (his words) would not know about this "drastic change".

And as for the rest of your post, I already said I believe Apple should allow users to roll back to the previous version. Well, they do ... but only for a few days until they stop signing the outgoing version.

In this case the OP had three days to update, try iOS 7, and simply restore back to iOS 6.

dannyyankou
Sep 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
Yes, Attack the op iinstead of supporting a simple request to allow the consumer to go back to a previous operating system.... Well I am not the only person out there that is furious about this. Many of you keep encouraging us to go to competitors products instead... Sadly that may be the only way to go....

Like I said on the last page, there are plenty of phones you can buy on eBay that still have iOS 6 installed. That may be your only option

AppleRobert
Sep 25, 2013, 12:44 PM
I don't disagree with the premise, just the way he's going about it.

Exactly. Btw, when they bought the ip4, what version OS was on it? Bet it was not iOS 6 so they did not have a device to begin with the way it was bought unless they did not upgrade. And if they did not upgrade to 6, why 7? :)

Armen
Sep 25, 2013, 12:44 PM

No one is attacking you. You are being unreasonable.

Software gets updated, older versions become unsupported. I'm pretty sure this is in the license agreement you clicked 'Ok' to. You could take Apple to court over this matter of them "forcing" you to upgrade and you'd lose.

WeegieMac
Sep 25, 2013, 12:45 PM

Image (http://assets.ilounge.com/images/uploads/ios7screenupdate.jpg)

You mean I have to READ what the update contains?

Too far man, too far.

Sep 25, 2013, 12:46 PM
I wasn't being stupidly ironic or condescending, my point was serious. I fail to see how an Apple enthusiast (his words) would not know about this "drastic change".

And as for the rest of your post, I already said I believe Apple should allow users to roll back to the previous version. Well, they do ... but only for a few days until they stop signing the outgoing version.

In this case the OP had three days to update, try iOS 7, and simply restore back to iOS 6.

Just to be clear, I wasn't referring to your post specifically (just quoted it as a basis for my longer answer), but instead to the bunch of childish replies as if he were acting as a little communist agitator - his point is sound and his reaction totally understandable.

rtomyj
Sep 25, 2013, 12:47 PM

Ok so again, why update? On every update I've seen there have been links to show what the update does. There are also descriptions of the update. Is Apple supposed to call 350 million people to explain what the update does to ensure you know?

burgerking2
Sep 25, 2013, 12:47 PM
For the OP: can you summarize what it is exactly that you dislike about IOS7?

I do agree that it would be great for Apple to have offered a rollback option or at least a rollback window larger than just 2 days. Maybe keep the older signed version available until 7.1 for example, once some initial bugs and performance issues are addressed??

Even if you have been following all the news and media and Apple keynotes, you don't know exactly how the phone will feel and respond once you start using the newer version.

Black Magic
Sep 25, 2013, 12:49 PM

I find your complaint and your long time enthusiast remark odd. If you were a true enthusiast, you would have known about iOS 7 way before it was released. Why? Because you have an account on this rumor site that dates back to 2010. Not only that but even on Apple's website iOS 7 was/is plastered all over it. It was also all over various technology sites. A true Apple enthusiast would not be surprised about iOS 7 when it was officially released.

Regarding the rollback request, the option to roll back is actually detrimental to Apple and us consumers which should not be allowed. Why? Because you basically want to create the software fragmentation that Android users have to deal with all because YOU don't like it. I'm not even going to go into how problematic that is for developers and everyone else involved. I think you are being very selfish and short sighted. If you are unhappy, move on to another product.

Michael Goff
Sep 25, 2013, 12:50 PM
When it comes down to it, Android seems to be your best (and only) bet. Nobody else allows you to downgrade your mobile either. It's just not how it works. I'd suggest getting a new Nexus when it comes out.

braddick
Sep 25, 2013, 12:53 PM
Have you never heard of capital letters, punctuation and the difference between there and their?

Sorry for the rant.

Should be, "ever", instead of 'never'.
(There should also be a comma after the word, punctuation.)
If you're going to correct another member here, you should do so correctly.
:)

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 12:54 PM

This is not a direct attack on your father - I do not know him, and I do not assume anything negative about him - this is more of a general statement:

I am surprised that someone that has accumulated wisdom over the years would not read even the 4 sentences that are on the same page (no extra clicking, no further looking for information) on the update page that says there was a redesign. There's even a "learn more" button right there. Even a younger, non-tech savvy person; Where has this world gone that we can't read a few sentences of information before updating the software on our phones..

There's only so much Apple can do, guys..They're not going to never update their software because it's a change from what it was previously, that's ridiculous. They give you all the necessary info right on the update page - it's even above the install and update option, designed for you to read (I mean come on, it's just a few sentences)..From there, someone could take a look at the front page of Apple's website to get an idea of what this update looks like without blindly updating.

I just don't see how Apple is at fault here - they update their software as they see fit. The information about it is available -right from the update screen without any further research, and you can then inquire further if you so desire.

Sep 25, 2013, 12:55 PM
Regarding the rollback request, the option to roll back is actually detrimental to Apple and us consumers which should not be allowed. Why? Because you basically want to create the software fragmentation that Android users have to deal with all because YOU don't like it. I'm not even going to go into how problematic that is for developers and everyone else involved. I think you are being very selfish and short sighted. If you are unhappy, move on to another product.

That is an absolutely fallacious argument, since those compatibility issues have ONLY begun with iOS 7 itself, not to mention the fact that at least 50% of all iOS users are still on iOS 6 or earlier, without ANY fragmentation reported until now software-wise.

And EVEN in the case of iOS 7, Apple has ALREADY accepted the fact that a few versions of apps are not fat-binary and still need to be offered to earlier iOS users. Why not acknowledge that fact for its own OS as well?

joejoejoe
Sep 25, 2013, 12:57 PM

you know you didn't have to install the update right?

this is technology. things change all the time. get over it.

----------

they announced it 6 months previous! and it was all over the internet! and the update says "all new design"!

what more do you want?

plus, change is a benefit to the consumer. look at blackberry, it didn't really change for a decade, and their consumer's were left in the dust and had to play catch up and switch to a new brand of smartphone.

Sep 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
This is not a direct attack on your father - I do not know him, and I do not assume anything negative about him - this is more of a general statement:

I am surprised that someone that has accumulated wisdom over the years would not read even the 4 sentences that are on the same page (no extra clicking, no further looking for information) on the update page that says there was a redesign. There's even a "learn more" button right there. Even a younger, non-tech savvy person; Where has this world gone that we can't read a few sentences of information before updating the software on our phones..

There's only so much Apple can do, guys..They're not going to never update their software because it's a change from what it was previously, that's ridiculous. They give you all the necessary info right on the update page - it's even above the install and update option, designed for you to read (I mean come on, it's just a few sentences)..From there, someone could take a look at the front page of Apple's website to get an idea of what this update looks like without blindly updating.

I just don't see how Apple is at fault here - they update their software as they see fit. The information about it is available -right from the update screen without any further research, and you can then inquire further if you so desire.

No one is advocating for a zero update policy - but as I said above: EVEN those who follow everything about Apple (like me) are still prone to being disappointed after discovering how the new OS really works. Rollback has ALWAYS been a possibility for System and Mac OS releases and this shouldn't be different for iOS, AT THE VERY LEAST for the latest preceding version or by means of a longer signature period.

linds15
Sep 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
That is an absolutely fallacious argument, since those compatibility issues have ONLY begun with iOS 7 itself, not to mention the fact that at least 50% of all iOS users are still on iOS 6 or earlier, without ANY fragmentation reported until now software-wise.

i think this is the main point, Apple tries to drive home their anti-fragmentation system, and buildup their adoption rates. they want to appeal to developpers and allowing anyone at anytime to go back looses them a competitive edge. at the end of the day youll get used to it and move on.

also, anyone remember when facebook introduced the home page? i remember the petition going around and all the anti-zuckerberg stuff, pretty sure no one remembers what going on facebook was like before the newsfeed

Xgm541
Sep 25, 2013, 01:13 PM
The reason they dont allow you to go back is to stop fragmentation. Also, because iOS is catered to the general individual, allowing people to switch back and forth will break things. And finally, if they allow you to downgrade, you will do so if a jailbreak comes out. And apple doesn't like you to jailbreak as it takes a portion of their profit away when individuals who jailbreak pirate apps (i know not everyone who JB pirates apps, but a lot do)

Second- they want you to have the latest OS because theyll probably stop development for the 6.x OS soon and if a new vulnerability comes out and you didnt upgrade, you may come back to post "HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW? WHY DIDNT APPLE FOR MY UPGRADE". I found that with most complaints, there is another person with the exact opposite view.

If you don't like it, then you can certainly get another OS phone. There are options.

WeegieMac
Sep 25, 2013, 01:23 PM
Thing is, as a long term iOS user (first device was iPhone 3G), I am loving iOS 7.

I cannot go back to 6 now, it looks so bloated and overly texture heavy.

To each their own.

j4zb4
Sep 25, 2013, 01:33 PM
They could only have made it clearer if they displayed flashing letters saying "drastic design change."

You have to go through a screen with the update notes before you can even upgrade the software.

OP obviously tunnel visioned straight to the "Download & Install" button without reading about the changes at all.

Yep... Golden rule... ALWAYS READ THE CHANGELOG BEFORE UPDATING... But, then how would people get a right to complain... :p

Yptcn
Sep 25, 2013, 02:24 PM
For threads like this one I still haven't upgraded to iOS7, still enjoying iOS6 :cool: that makes ALMOST everything I want and doesn't feel laggy, maybe someday I will upgrade.

But at least you know what to expect if one day you do upgrade ;)

Carlanga
Sep 25, 2013, 02:29 PM
You can't blame apple for new software that you agreed to download... Is like updating a computer from win 7 to win 8 for free and just because it was free you didn't read about it and then complain.

I still think they should let you downgrade the first week of a major update though, especially for the oldest device that the new iOS can run.

beautifulcoder
Sep 25, 2013, 02:49 PM
Seriously, so folks actually expect tech companies to support outdated technology? Whatever happened to progress and innovation? Listen, I know of one company that got pretty good at supporting an OS that is now over a decade old. Last I heard, they are irrelevant.

borostef
Sep 25, 2013, 03:21 PM

You do understand that this goes against everything Apple was advertising so far... I am not saying that you are wrong, but Apple, so far, was the company which advertised the famous "It just works..." slogan and the philosophy of buying their product and forgeting of any maintenance or worrying about software... If they want us to study every update, every change... OK, but at least warn people about it... After all, it was Apple that wanted people to think about their products as appliances... Not the users.

cmChimera
Sep 25, 2013, 03:23 PM

Thanks for letting us know.

mcfly88
Sep 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
Guarantee OP ends up liking it after actually using it.. Also, people who warn people about updates.. stating its "bad", are the worst. Let them see for themselves.

haydn!
Sep 25, 2013, 03:34 PM
So that's at least one more Apple device on the shop shelf for someone else to enjoy.

:apple:

5aga
Sep 25, 2013, 03:38 PM
-deleted-

applesith
Sep 25, 2013, 03:39 PM
After using it since Friday, I am used to it. It looks the same at this point. Just some new colors here and there. It's not a drastic change other than the color scheme. It's still the same grid layout and same menus.

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 03:40 PM
You do understand that this goes against everything Apple was advertising so far... I am not saying that you are wrong, but Apple, so far, was the company which advertised the famous "It just works..." slogan and the philosophy of buying their product and forgeting of any maintenance or worrying about software... If they want us to study every update, every change... OK, but at least warn people about it... After all, it was Apple that wanted people to think about their products as appliances... Not the users.

We're not talking about a problem with the software not working. It's a design change. Just because Apple promotes that it's software "Just Works," does not mean that one should not read release notes, even the brief description. Every update has them. They don't discuss things that don't work - they discuss anything that's changed. Them offering release notes does nothing to go against their mantra of "It Just Works," it's merely there for the users benefit so they are aware of what they are updating to and what changes there may be.

:rolleyes:

RedRaven571
Sep 25, 2013, 03:41 PM
I have to admit, I agree with the OP (not that I'll never buy another Apple product). But.....

What if you update your device to 'try out iOS7', find out you don't like it (for whatever reason) and want to go back? Outside of a very brief window, you can't.

In OS X, if you don't like the latest, greatest version (I updated to Lion/ML, found I didn't like them), you can 'downgrade' to your previous version (i.e. - I went back to SL); why not iDevices?

Skika
Sep 25, 2013, 03:49 PM
I swear these threads are getting more and more dumb.

How can anyone be so ridicolous is beyond me.

braddick
Sep 25, 2013, 03:54 PM
^
You need to get out in the real world more often.
There is much more ridiculousness and craziness out there then you will even find here or in this thread!

Bruins Fan
Sep 25, 2013, 04:19 PM

I agree with you. Give the customer the option. Most people are in a rush in their daily lives and don't have the time or desire to investigate things like the upcoming OS upgrade. They see it, and just click "update". Being able to roll it back is not too much to ask. It's really customer service 101.

C DM
Sep 25, 2013, 04:27 PM
Guarantee OP ends up liking it after actually using it.. Also, people who warn people about updates.. stating its "bad", are the worst. Let them see for themselves.So...they should see for themselves, which means they need to update, but if they don't like it, what then, how do they go back to what they had? Isn't that part of the point being made in this thread?

----------

You can't blame apple for new software that you agreed to download... Is like updating a computer from win 7 to win 8 for free and just because it was free you didn't read about it and then complain.

I still think they should let you downgrade the first week of a major update though, especially for the oldest device that the new iOS can run.Aside from the fact that going from something like Windows 7 to Windows 8 would require somewhat more user participation, unlike an iOS upgrade that almost requires none of it (in comparison), you can also go back to Windows 7 pretty much whenever you wanted to, which you can't really do with iOS. So, kind of an apples to oranges comparison, making it not all that relevant (and even if relevant, would actually only add more to the argument being made in the thread that it shouldn't be as "simple/quick" to upgrade and/or there should be a way to go back to what you had before).

ELSELS
Sep 25, 2013, 04:40 PM
I have to admit, I agree with the OP (not that I'll never buy another Apple product). But.....

What if you update your device to 'try out iOS7', find out you don't like it (for whatever reason) and want to go back? Outside of a very brief window, you can't.

In OS X, if you don't like the latest, greatest version (I updated to Lion/ML, found I didn't like them), you can 'downgrade' to your previous version (i.e. - I went back to SL); why not iDevices?

Very Wise point +1 - :)

gotluck
Sep 25, 2013, 04:44 PM
the inability to downgrade ios infuriates me
that's one reason why the most recent ios device I own is iPhone 4 - fully downgradable if you have saved shsh blobs which of course I do, this is only because of hackers (geohot) though.

msvadi
Sep 25, 2013, 04:44 PM
The details of iOS 7 design have been known for months. The fact that there is no downgrade option with iOS has been known for years. With modern internet technologies, all information is at your fingertips. Using web search is so much easier than starting a movement ...

On the other hand, may be I'm missing something here, because I would never wait in line overnight for a new phone ...

BigMar89
Sep 25, 2013, 04:46 PM
wasn't there a rumor before iOS 7 was revealed that Apple was planning to allow the user to switch between skeu and flat UI? most likely never considered by Apple but wouldn't have been so bad for those complaining or that are business savvy.

burgerking2
Sep 25, 2013, 05:06 PM

I agree, I think it was like a 2-day window for most.

Couldn't they have at least waited 1 week before removing the IOS 6 software, so people could have some hands-on time? Or until they release the next revision 7.1??

Maybe it was to pad their numbers in the media: "Over 200 million upgrades to IOS 7 in the first 5 days!"

Huliodude
Sep 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
I'm with the OP. Why can't I have my old phone back that I paid for? You can't truly know if you'll like an OS no matter what you read beforehand until you install it and try it for yourself.

I tried it, I like some of the new features but overall much prefer iOS 6 in terms of looks and battery life on my 5.

My mother who's in her 60's and couldn't care less about iOS was really left with a learning curve she didn't expect when she updated as per the little update notice on her settings icon.

I for one am not planning on buying another Apple product until they loosen up a little.

I know I'm in the minority, and Apple is only after the majority, which makes good business sense, but I guess they're not for me any longer.

m00min
Sep 25, 2013, 05:45 PM
Of course Apple force users to upgrade their iPhone's OS. Just not immediately. If you ever have a problem and need to restore you're forced up to the latest version.

It makes staying on your preferred OS version precarious and it's not user friendly.

RedRaven571
Sep 25, 2013, 06:10 PM
Maybe it was to pad their numbers in the media: "Over 200 million upgrades to IOS 7 in the first 5 days!"

They can still make that claim, who keeps track of people downgrading to a previous version....:o

KdParker
Sep 25, 2013, 08:55 PM

Hmmm...how about 3 months notice. And if you didn't want the upgrade don't upgrade.

Heck, even the major news channels reported on iOS7.

----------

This is a crazy argument. iOS7 is not broken, this guy just didn't like it for some reason.

If some offered to upgrade you car engine and you agreed without knowing what was in the upgrade. Then that is your problem, and you will have to make the best of it or sell the car.

tripmusic
Sep 25, 2013, 08:57 PM
I'm pissed as well. I upgraded to just get a taste of iOS7 and after a couple of days of realizing I liked 6.1.3 better I was going to downgrade. It was just lagging too much on my 4s and it was just hideous to look at. So I attempted to downgrade and was prompted that I was screwed. Back when iOS 4 came out, I downgraded a couple of times to iOS 3 on my 3G with no problems. Why didn't they close this signing window back then? Why not give users a good week anyways if you're going to do this? Hackers will always win the war with them anyways. I sent Apple a feedback email. Hopefully if enough users get their attention, they'll re-open this ridiculous signing window. I paid almost $700 for my iphone, I think I should be able to run whichever iOS I like better and works best with my phone. :mad:

KdParker
Sep 25, 2013, 09:02 PM
I'm pissed as well. I upgraded to just get a taste of iOS7 and after a couple of days of realizing I liked 6.1.3 better I was going to downgrade. It was just lagging too much on my 4s and it was just hideous to look at. So I attempted to downgrade and was prompted that I was screwed. Back when iOS 4 came out, I downgraded a couple of times to iOS 3 with no problems. Why didn't they close this signing window back then? Why not give users a good week anyways. If this is to prevent hackers from doing their thing it wouldn't make any sense. Hackers are not going to waste their time on the first new release of the iOS, they'll wait until the kinks are out. I sent Apple a feedback email. Hopefully if enough users get their attention, they'll re-open this ridiculous signing window. I paid almost $700 for my iphone, I think I should be able to run whichever iOS I like better and works best with my phone. :mad:

You could run which every iOS you wanted, and you chose to iOS7.

It was pretty clear that you couldn't go back to iOS6 once you updated.

juswest
Sep 25, 2013, 09:15 PM
I find your complaint and your long time enthusiast remark odd. If you were a true enthusiast, you would have known about iOS 7 way before it was released. Why? Because you have an account on this rumor site that dates back to 2010. Not only that but even on Apple's website iOS 7 was/is plastered all over it. It was also all over various technology sites. A true Apple enthusiast would not be surprised about iOS 7 when it was officially released.

LMAO.. Did you call them selfish? For disliking something. And Android fragmentation happens for very different reasons, not because of displeased users.

pajamma
Sep 25, 2013, 09:18 PM

How was it clear? Did the pop up window encouraging the update mention that?

No.

Did it say, oh, by the way, the new type on the keyboard is SUPER THIN, and don't bother trying to fix it with the accessibility controls. We're way too into the anorexic fonts to let you change that.

My 80+ year old father took Apple's upgrade at faith. He could easily read the keyboard letters before. Now he can't on either his phone or iPad. But that's his fault for not carefully examining the screen caps on Macrumors or the Verge or some "major news channel"? That's BS.

I feel bad for having endorsed Apple's products to him. They made the product far less useful for a lot of people and gave them no way to restore it to what they paid for. They might as well have come to his house and smacked his phone with a hammer.

RobbyIdol
Sep 25, 2013, 09:25 PM

Wrong, and that's the problem. Most people were not aware that you could not downgrade to iOS 6 (or that such a process as 'downgrading' even existed). For those who had gone through the process before with Apple, or sit on forums like this one all the time, sure they probably had a good idea that there was a small window of downgrading opportunity.

But most people don't frequent sites like this one, or maybe never upgraded an Apple product before. So to say "it was pretty clear..." is a gross overestimation.

I'm curious as to how big or small the downgrading window was on previous iOS releases. The window for iOS 7 was so small (less than 48 hours, if I am correct), that I highly suspect Apple KNEW many folks would balk at the drastic changes and want to go back to iOS 6 immediately. But a change in management in a post-Steve Jobs world would not let that happen, as I suspect, making their own statement as the "new" Apple designers was more important than making a product that people have come trust and enjoy.

hansonjohn590
Sep 25, 2013, 09:28 PM
It is pretty ****** of Apple to not allow rollbacks. How many other companies do something that ******?

Where was it 'pretty clear'?

gotluck
Sep 25, 2013, 09:33 PM

It really is not clear, particularly for those who aren't tech savvy / read sites like this. I don't hear news outlets letting people know that you can't downgrade, just that iOS 7 is out. This 'no downgrading' / lockdown mantra was really started by iOS, most all other computer equipment can be restored/rollbacked to previous versions. Car analogies are crazy here, we are talking about software - where the possibility of rollback is a major precedent.

iCarabma
Sep 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
So I upgraded to iOS 7 and now I'm scared and confused. I can't figure out how to use it so I lost my jobs. I can't stop vomiting. My wallpaper looks stupid. My dog has cancer and Breaking Bad is ending.

Thanks Obama. #tcot.

Let's all go wait at Scott Forstall's house.

rider96
Sep 25, 2013, 09:37 PM
Honestly one of the many reasons I didn't like iio7 is thin lines. I tweaked the access ability options, increased font size, did bold... But for me it is difficult to see... The browser arrows at the top are difficult to see and use. Didn't have any problem with io6... So why shouldn't I be able to go back to io6?

rotobadger
Sep 25, 2013, 09:46 PM
Coming to this thread late but, as I see it, the OP should give it a little time before starting his anti-Apple movement. I was dead set against iOS 7 and, now that I've spent a few days with it, I love it. Yes, there are some niggling little things that went sideways with the update (I miss the weather widget in the pull down that showed the week's forecast, the music player is kinda sucky now) but overall 7 is pretty slick and is a welcome change after 6 years of the same ol' OS.

Time marches on and so do operating systems. I'm sure there will be tons of complaints about how much iOS 9 purely SUCKS compared to 8.x. Apple can not stand still (people would complain) so they did the best they could on the new OS...and it's not so bad really!

mdlooker
Sep 25, 2013, 09:48 PM
I thought once you upgrade you can't go back. Hasn't that been the thing for years now?

Plus I love iOS7. I love the new look and functionality. Change is good. Thread upon thread upon thread of how Apple should add this and add that and now they've done it, it's too much.

rotobadger
Sep 25, 2013, 09:51 PM
Honestly one of the many reasons I didn't like iio7 is thin lines. I tweaked the access ability options, increased font size, did bold... But for me it is difficult to see... The browser arrows at the top are difficult to see and use. Didn't have any problem with io6... So why shouldn't I be able to go back to io6?

I get what you're saying but, if Apple allowed users to go back, how far should they be able to go back? 6? 5? 1.x? If Apple endorsed "choose your own OS" then they would be required to support all those fragmented OS. The headache would grow exponentially. They can't be expected to write updates and apps to apply to a buttload of ancient operating systems.

Onward and upward...

charlituna
Sep 25, 2013, 09:54 PM

There was an entire summer of warning. Screen after screen on the website, the WWDC keynote etc.

parapup
Sep 25, 2013, 10:03 PM
It really is very dumb and arrogant of Apple to arbitrarily disallow restores to a previous version. I was lucky to be able to get back to 6.1.3 right in time while Apple was still allowing it - iOS7 really lagged badly on my iPad 3 and hardly provided any feature benefits for me. All that while looking ugly. Eeegawd - those animations :(

I hope my iPad 3/iOS6 combo lasts me long enough to make it possible to switch to something decent that isn't from Apple.

charlituna
Sep 25, 2013, 10:13 PM

Given that they had to push to have it install and did it without bothering to do a little research, how hard is that to understand

Please for the love of everything just go. You said you were going to so do it. Leave Apple, leave all sites related to it so even they don't get any benefit from you.

----------

Or why even close it to begin with is what I'm wondering :confused:

Firmware changes, bug fixes, getting locked out of backups for starters

Merkyworks
Sep 25, 2013, 10:36 PM
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09/25/apple-ios-7-user-experience/

Just saying

WeegieMac
Sep 25, 2013, 11:28 PM
I'm pissed as well. I upgraded to just get a taste of iOS7 and after a couple of days of realizing I liked 6.1.3 better I was going to downgrade. It was just lagging too much on my 4s and it was just hideous to look at. So I attempted to downgrade and was prompted that I was screwed. Back when iOS 4 came out, I downgraded a couple of times to iOS 3 on my 3G with no problems. Why didn't they close this signing window back then? Why not give users a good week anyways if you're going to do this? Hackers will always win the war with them anyways. I sent Apple a feedback email. Hopefully if enough users get their attention, they'll re-open this ridiculous signing window. I paid almost $700 for my iphone, I think I should be able to run whichever iOS I like better and works best with my phone. :mad:

Lag on 4s?

I think you're confusing intentionally slower UI transitions for lag. There is no lag on iPhone 4s other than beta 1 and 2 of iOS 7.

It's not as fast as iOS 6 but it's not down to lag, the UI is intentionally slower on all devices with the new UI animations. I don't get any dropped frame rates on my 4s.

KdParker
Sep 25, 2013, 11:32 PM
It really is not clear, particularly for those who aren't tech savvy / read sites like this. I don't hear news outlets letting people know that you can't downgrade, just that iOS 7 is out. This 'no downgrading' / lockdown mantra was really started by iOS, most all other computer equipment can be restored/rollbacked to previous versions. Car analogies are crazy here, we are talking about software - where the possibility of rollback is a major precedent.

Right - since you didn't hear about it then it didn't happen. And the same non tech savvy people you talk about really don't know/or expect that the possibility of a rollback is a major precedent.

Car analogies fit just fine when making a point. You added the upgrade without knowing what was included. You could have just googled - iOS7 and got all the good and bad points before connecting to wifi and clicking several buttons to update.

----------

It is pretty ****** of Apple to not allow rollbacks. How many other companies do something that ******?

Where was it 'pretty clear'?

IDK - google iOS7 and read any of the good or bad points about the update. This literally takes seconds.

WeegieMac
Sep 25, 2013, 11:38 PM
The level of utterly childish bitching in this thread is getting ridiculous, and I'm not talking solely about the OP here.

Some facts:

a) If you updated to iOS 7 on launch day you had three days to simply restore back via iTunes. You had the chance to go back.

b) You're a member of an Apple rumour forum, how did you not see a front page story or a thread about iOS 7 and the new design?

c) As a member of this forum how did you not see threads which clearly showed screenshots and expressed user opinions of the beta process and performance reports on various devices

d) Even if new to this site, I refuse to believe you don't read any other source of tech news or managed to somehow avoid all news of iOS 7 or it's new UI design.

e) We all have friends, these friends use tech and smartphones. No one else in your circle of friends or even work colleagues knew iOS 7 was coming and no one even mentioned in passing, "Hey have you see the new iPhone OS that is coming out soon"?

And while it doesn't actually apply in the case of iOS 6.1.3/4, Apple normally don't allow rollback due to the fact they patch jailbreak holes in the last build with updates and don't want you going back to a jailbreakable build.

bdrake47
Sep 25, 2013, 11:47 PM

Is your car exactly the same as the day you purchased it?

Your house?

Anything you own?

Have you ever read any of the License Agreements for your vast array of Apple products?

You've already stated in this thread that you haven't been following the news of this update for most of this year, so why did you just confirm the update without tapping Learn More?

I'm sure Apple stock will plummet from your boycott/protest/sit-in whatever, as you join the legions of ice cream sundae, jelly-belly, gummy-bear users, because no other company ever updates their software.

----------

M$ is supporting downgrades? Can you easily (& legally) roll-back to Win7, XP still supported? Dell, Sony, HP or any other manufacturer makes it easy to roll-back firmware updates?

Started by iOS? Hardly.

BenTrovato
Sep 25, 2013, 11:48 PM
It's written on page 14 of the software license agreement. Unless..... You just pressed agree to the terms and conditions without reading the contract. Not trying to give legal advice but just saying not reading the terms to contracts you agree to in life can can lead to unexpected results.

rider96
Sep 26, 2013, 12:01 AM
It's so sad... I used to be so excited about apple products. I remember the anticipation waiting on line at nite for the iphone 4. Now I see how blindly many of you are led like sheep, or like communists who parrot the party line released by Pravda. Apple says no access to io6, Apple must be right. The poor soul who downloaded the Io7 and is miserable about it is treated like a troll or called to blame because they trusted the upgrade without doing enough research... And you defend this corporation blindly without question. And this makes me firm in my resolve that what has happened here is very, very wrong, and that the consumer must be protected from this arrogant corporation .... And it would be so very simple for apple to allow a week or two window for those who want to revert....

Black Magic
Sep 26, 2013, 12:06 AM
It's so sad... I used to be so excited about apple products. I remember the anticipation waiting on line at nite for the iphone 4. No I see how blindly you are all led like sheep, or like communists who parrot the party line released by Pravda. Apple says no access to io6, Apple must be right. The poor soul who downloaded the Io7 and is miserable about it is treated like a troll or called to blame because they trusted the upgrade without doing enough research... And you all defend this corporation blindly without question. And this makes me firm in my resolve that what has happened here is very, very wrong, and that the consumer must be protected from this arrogant corporation ....

Go stand outside Apple HQ and picket. That will teach them!

Seriously, all this time and energy you are wasting complaining on a forum accomplishes what exactly? What reaction were you hoping to get? Again, if you are that unhappy, go buy an Android phone and join an Android forum.

johnothy
Sep 26, 2013, 12:17 AM
I agree with the OP. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to downgrade to iOS 6 if you don't like 7. I didn't update my phone and am not going to for now. People I work with that have iPhones don't want it either because they don't care for the look of it. They should make it customizable with themes so people can keep their apps and overall animation like it is.

rider96
Sep 26, 2013, 12:19 AM
Go stand outside Apple HQ and picket. That will teach them!

Seriously, all this time and energy you are wasting complaining on a forum accomplishes what exactly? What reaction were you hoping to get? Again, if you are that unhappy, go buy an Android phone and join an Android forum.

With enough support they would open the window.... Or in the future they would leave it open long enough to allow those unhappy with the new system to revert... But I guess many of you are so brainwashed that you can not appreciate the rights of the consumer versus the practices of a mega corporation.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 26, 2013, 12:23 AM
I just started a movement myself. That's what I love most about the iPad. Perfect for the bathroom. I will line up to buy another.

hakuryuu
Sep 26, 2013, 12:24 AM

I'm curious.. what has been so seriously altered about iOS that you can't use it?

I ask because in my view there is no vast functional change about how to use my iPhone/iPad. If nothing else it is more fluid and easier to use than ever before.

If your entire complaint is about the way it looks then no one can help you. You are not a special snowflake nor are you part of the blizzard you imagine yourself being a part of.

The rights of the consumer extend as far as they are able to choose something (in this case: whether or not to upgrade). There is nothing stopping anyone from reading/not reading about the product and any changes that may occur. It is up to you to understand what is going to happen when you tap the screen to allow the upgrade to happen. Apple does not have to give you a way out nor is there any incentive for them to do so.

R.Stoychev
Sep 26, 2013, 12:30 AM
I am still getting used to ios 7, the only think I don't like are the colors and there is so much white :eek: but the new features are nice ! :)

EJ8
Sep 26, 2013, 12:35 AM
(retarded) Thread of the Year.

rider96
Sep 26, 2013, 12:36 AM
And take a look on the io6 forum...consumers complaining they can not get rid of the upgrade request, and space being taken up by the io7 download they did not authorize.... Apple coaxes you to upgrade, resistance is futile, there is no going back.... Sheesh...

Seiga
Sep 26, 2013, 12:39 AM
I am still getting used to ios 7, the only think I don't like are the colors and there is so much white :eek: but the new features are nice ! :)

That's because apple stole that layout from Google's Holo theme. Oh snap!

Love how this topic's real issue is "Choice". Choice to switch back to another version of the OS. You people talk highly on apple, yet Apple is the company that says accept our way, or don't choose us at all. That's why I will never ever return to apple.

JackieInCo
Sep 26, 2013, 12:44 AM
I upgraded my 4S and iPad Mini to 7.0 a few hours after release. I ran it till Friday morning and discovered there was a bug with an app that I use and it's in app notifications. There was no way to dismiss them in 7.0 other than closing the app and then reopening. It's a social app so I would get sometimes 20 or more in app notifications in a few minutes so it was a pain to use that way.

I downgraded beck to 6.0 on Friday morning and I'll wait till this app gets updates to work with 7.0. They put out an update for the iPhone Friday afternoon but I'll wait till the iPad version is updated before I go back to 7.0 on both.

bdrake47
Sep 26, 2013, 02:05 AM

Love how this topic's real issue is "Choice". Choice to switch back to another version of the OS. You people talk highly on apple, yet Apple is the company that says accept our way, or don't choose us at all. That's why I will never ever return to apple.

And yet here you are still. Posting on an Apple-centric board, and displaying your Apple devices in your sig.:cool:

WeegieMac
Sep 26, 2013, 02:10 AM
I agree with the OP. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to downgrade to iOS 6 if you don't like 7. I didn't update my phone and am not going to for now. People I work with that have iPhones don't want it either because they don't care for the look of it. They should make it customizable with themes so people can keep their apps and overall animation like it is.

The unhappiest voices are always the loudest but they are also always certainly the minority.

JayJayAbels
Sep 26, 2013, 02:12 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of modern technology!

Sell your device and simply purchase a device with iOS 6 on it.

Or move to Windows/Android. You'll have a blast with their mobile OS's!

Enjoy!

----------

Ohhh the irony...

WeegieMac
Sep 26, 2013, 02:17 AM
It's so sad... I used to be so excited about apple products. I remember the anticipation waiting on line at nite for the iphone 4. Now I see how blindly many of you are led like sheep, or like communists who parrot the party line released by Pravda. Apple says no access to io6, Apple must be right. The poor soul who downloaded the Io7 and is miserable about it is treated like a troll or called to blame because they trusted the upgrade without doing enough research... And you defend this corporation blindly without question. And this makes me firm in my resolve that what has happened here is very, very wrong, and that the consumer must be protected from this arrogant corporation .... And it would be so very simple for apple to allow a week or two window for those who want to revert....

You had three days to downgrade. You missed the window.

I buy Apple products because of the eco-system and the amount of apps I've bought as well as the fact iPhone and iPad are the best quality devices around. Nothing and no one touches Apple for build quality and, if you have a device recent enough to run it in full, iOS 7 is superb.

Your whining is becoming quite irritating. Get on with your day, there's more to be surely be getting on with that making the same point over and over.

oVerboost
Sep 26, 2013, 02:24 AM
If they let people use iOS6 what are these people going to do when apps are optimised for iOS7 and these same people complain their apps crash/lag etc???

Give it a proper try to get used to it, and then decide. If you feel Apple is no longer for you, so be it, for every one customer that leaves, there's two joining up to the iphone / apple following.

This is no different to previous iOS releases, so how come you've not left before?

Give it a go first, as the majority love iOS7 which makes it a success, and it's in it's very early stages still too,

If you think Android is better, you must be joking!!! Glitchy, slow and you have to use so many third party apps or downloads to get it to look how you want.

Donki
Sep 26, 2013, 02:27 AM

Nobody minds someone stating an opinion, it's the rest of the "I'm starting a movement" crap that's childish and annoying. I don't know what kind of movement he's talking about, maybe he's just having a pooh for all I know.

As for you calling people u have never met sheep, simply for the tech they buy, I feel a little sorry for you to be honest if that's the way you judge others. If you don't like it don't buy it, I couldn't care less if you chose a CB radio as your communication device of choice. I like my Apple products , I like iOS7, to be honest I don't get the massive deal it's not that different than 6 IMPO.

GoofyCyborg
Sep 26, 2013, 03:17 AM
I have to say i dont like the look of ios 7 at all, so much so i wont be getting another iphone anytime soon. Will stick with my 4s running ios 6 for now.

Hopefully they will address all the issues with it over the coming months and it will become more stable and more easy on the eye. If thats the case great i will update my devices and upgrade my 4s but if not then i will take my custom else where.

I dont understand why people are so quick to push the update button myself, i will say it is really annoying and not very helpful that apple do not allow you to turn off any update notifications and prevent any downloading of such firmware which eats away at your other storage! If you use your device for work or in a corperate environment updating could leave your devices unusable if the apps you use have not been updated to support the ios release.

C DM
Sep 26, 2013, 03:33 AM
Got to love the simple fact that the majority of replies are simply a pile of BS when it comes to the vast majority of typical iOS users who don't follow tech news or anything like that. They've prertty much have been conditioned by their carrier and Apple itself that there will be updates and that to stay secure and to have a working phone/device they should always update when prompted (yes it's a fact that this is how things are explained to a lot of non-tech savvy people to make it "simpler" for them).

They have nothing much to go by except that, and when days after an update is released (and the rollback window has already closed) their device downloads the update on its own without even their permission and then prompts them in various places to quickly update, why wouldn't most of them do it remembering what they've been always told about updates and having gone through some of them before where nothing much on the surface changed for them.

This is certainly a whole different kind of update that most of them likely never really expected not even imagined could happen given their lack of tech knowledge.

Italianblend
Sep 26, 2013, 03:39 AM
Is it really true that there is no way to revert back to ios 6?

Svengali
Sep 26, 2013, 03:55 AM
Good for you

m00min
Sep 26, 2013, 04:04 AM
I get what you're saying but, if Apple allowed users to go back, how far should they be able to go back? 6? 5? 1.x? If Apple endorsed "choose your own OS" then they would be required to support all those fragmented OS. The headache would grow exponentially. They can't be expected to write updates and apps to apply to a buttload of ancient operating systems.

Onward and upward...

Users should be allowed to install back to whatever the version of the OS the device originally shipped with. Who's expecting Apple to support it with updates? If I wish I can roll back my mac to an earlier version of OSX, why not my phone?

All you people telling the OP to move to Android are completely missing the point. He paid money for a device, he might have bought a lot of apps. Why should he have to throw all that away because Apple moved the goalposts? The problem would go away if Apple weren't so ridiculously controlling of devices THEY DON'T OWN.

jonnyb
Sep 26, 2013, 04:04 AM
I wish Steve was still alive so the OP could send him a long, rambling, whiny email about how awful iOS 7 is so that the reply would be a classic Jobs one liner like...

'We like it'.

borostef
Sep 26, 2013, 04:40 AM
Considering over 200 MILLION people are now on iOS 7. The idiots complaining that it's the worst thing ever represent less than 0.000001 percent of the people that upgraded.

If you were hidden under a rock for the summer then that's your problem. It was all over apple's site that iOS 7 was coming as well as here on macrumors. And besides LOOKING different, functionality is very much unchanged.

Deal with it, iOS 7 may not be perfect but it far from horrible and it's here to stay. DEAL WITH IT!

I WILL NOT! I REFUSE TO! And now what? Does yelling help? I think not...:cool:

oVerboost
Sep 26, 2013, 04:42 AM
But if they restored back, the apps they've paid money for wouldn't work, or wouldn't work for long... Ios7 isn't just a visual improvement, other unseen stuff is updated too. Stuff that 99.9% of people wouldn't notice.

I'm just glad these updates are free, no one has to update. It's not forced on anyone, and if people feel forced into updating by a box flashing up on their screen without finding out about the update and then moaning afterwards, probably shouldn't be owning something that has been this way since Apple rolled out the first gen iphone. Nothing's changed with how Apple do things, so why complain. Why take the time to sign up to this forum and complain, when they clearly couldn't be bothered to sign up before to find out about iOS7. It's been well documented for months!

m00min
Sep 26, 2013, 04:52 AM
But if they restored back, the apps they've paid money for wouldn't work, or wouldn't work for long...

What a load of rubbish. Are these apps going to combust in a fiery death? I've still got an old 3GS running iOS5 and it's apps are running just fine. Apple have even made it possible to install the last compatible version of an app (something they should have done a while ago).

CB1234
Sep 26, 2013, 05:09 AM
Nothing's changed with how Apple do things, so why complain. Why take the time to sign up to this forum and complain, when they clearly couldn't be bothered to sign up before to find out about iOS7. It's been well documented for months!

It's called a few moments of fame…. attention seeking… whatever you want to name it….

Controversial statements always brings attention - that is why you are getting much more rhetoric and dramatic statements on MR……

Krissypantz2828
Sep 26, 2013, 05:35 AM

I believe you could have reverted back in the first few days. It's a shame you did not know this. I'm not trying to bully or anything. It just sucks you didn't find out that you had a small window to revert back.

Tyler23
Sep 26, 2013, 05:38 AM

You call us sheep being blindly led by Apple..and yet you're the one who blindly hit update without doing any research because..it was Apple...

Ironic.

sk1wbw
Sep 26, 2013, 06:20 AM
The OP could switch to an Android OS phone, that way after a few months he won't have to worry about upgrading.

m00min
Sep 26, 2013, 06:40 AM
The OP could switch to an Android OS phone, that way after a few months he won't have to worry about upgrading.

Funny, cus my old Samsung Galaxy is running CyanogenMod 9 (equates to Android 4) just fine even though it shipped with an older Android version. If you buy a popular device and not just a cheap one then it will be supported by CyanogenMod.

I wonder how many people who wheel out this tired excuse have actually used Android.

rider96
Sep 26, 2013, 06:47 AM
There are many, many former apple supporters who are furious with Apples arrogance in not allowing a revert to io6. I hope they all speak with their wallets and refuse to buy any more Apple produucts. The consumer made Apple what it is today, and by ignoring iits customers, Apple is making a colossal blunder. Hell hath no fury like a consumer who has been screwed by a major corporation.

1member1
Sep 26, 2013, 06:52 AM
I love iOS 7 and recommend it for everyone.. some people has different thoughts ;o

XboxMySocks
Sep 26, 2013, 07:03 AM

Apple held massive keynotes detailing in extreme all of the changes in iOS 7. This is one of the dumbest threads I've read on MacRumours, and that's quite an award.

There are many, many former apple supporters who are furious with Apples arrogance in not allowing a revert to io6. I hope they all speak with their wallets and refuse to buy any more Apple produucts. The consumer made Apple what it is today, and by ignoring iits customers, Apple is making a colossal blunder. Hell hath no fury like a consumer who has been screwed by a major corporation.

You do realise that Apple let people restore to iOS 6 for like 4 days after 7 came out right? Lol...

Hephaestus
Sep 26, 2013, 07:03 AM
I'm not really impressed with iOS 7 either OP, but you sound a little immature. Nevertheless, if your movement spreads as far as England, I might consider joining. Perhaps the few that you can recruit will bring down a multibillion dollar global corporation. :rolleyes:

CB1234
Sep 26, 2013, 07:16 AM

Then you needn't worry about any movement - no need to rant and rave - correct?

No need to treat other users like idiots - most Apple users are intelligent bunch. If they feel they are being shafted they will ditch Apple for competition.. It will happen because users are feeling shafted - not because you are telling them to...

Apple will get their comeuppance, they will face their destiny…. as you say - so why this vitriolic rhetoric ?

You are in fact insulting intelligence of Apple users by trying to convince them to shaft Apple, and it is for something you shouldn't have upgraded to and/or downgraded to, when you had chance….

What are you trying to do - become Martin Luther King - start a movement against Apple - the person who brought Apple to its knees??? What for? For Apple providing you new OS at no cost ?

gotluck
Sep 26, 2013, 07:19 AM
Is your car exactly the same as the day you purchased it?

Your house?

Anything you own?

Have you ever read any of the License Agreements for your vast array of Apple products?

You've already stated in this thread that you haven't been following the news of this update for most of this year, so why did you just confirm the update without tapping Learn More?

I'm sure Apple stock will plummet from your boycott/protest/sit-in whatever, as you join the legions of ice cream sundae, jelly-belly, gummy-bear users, because no other company ever updates their software.

----------

M$ is supporting downgrades? Can you easily (& legally) roll-back to Win7, XP still supported? Dell, Sony, HP or any other manufacturer makes it easy to roll-back firmware updates?

Started by iOS? Hardly.

Yes you can legally downgrade windows installations with either a backup image or the particular versions installation media. You know, standard software rollback stuff.

XboxMySocks
Sep 26, 2013, 07:20 AM
Yes you can legally downgrade windows installations with either a backup image or the particular versions installation media. You know, standard software rollback stuff.

He didn't ask if it was legal, he asked if it was easy :rolleyes:

Paradoxally
Sep 26, 2013, 07:27 AM

You can, but it's NOT easy by any means on some laptops that ship with Windows 8 out of the box.

gotluck
Sep 26, 2013, 07:28 AM
You can, but it's NOT easy by any means on some laptops that ship with Windows 8 out of the box.

That's a whole lot better than impossible like on iOS.

sunking101
Sep 26, 2013, 07:28 AM
Then you needn't worry about any movement - no need to rant and rave - correct?

No need to treat other users like idiots - most Apple users are intelligent bunch. If they feel they are being shafted they will ditch Apple for competition.. It will happen because users are feeling shafted - not because you are telling them to...

Apple will get their comeuppance, they will face their destiny…. as you say - so why this vitriolic rhetoric ?

You are in fact insulting intelligence of Apple users by trying to convince them to shaft Apple, and it is for something you shouldn't have upgraded to and/or downgraded to, when you had chance….

What are you trying to do - become Martin Luther King - start a movement against Apple - the person who brought Apple to its knees??? What for? For Apple providing you new OS at no cost ?

It isn't at no cost though is it???
I have spent more than 15 hours doing DFU installs trying to correct my severe battery drain. I waste my time scouring the forums searching for answers and still I have a badly performing o/s on my phone. I wish that I had stayed on iOS6.1.4 and just continued with my life, not being bothered by this problem.

gotluck
Sep 26, 2013, 07:29 AM
He didn't ask if it was legal, he asked if it was easy :rolleyes:
Um yeah he did whatever. So you'd rather not have the option if it is too hard? Lol

XboxMySocks
Sep 26, 2013, 07:41 AM
Um yeah he did whatever. So you'd rather not have the option if it is too hard? Lol
Well, yeah? If the pain in the ass threshold is higher for trying to downgrade than it is for just sticking with a few changes you don't like, then why bother?

CB1234
Sep 26, 2013, 07:47 AM
It isn't at no cost though is it???
I have spent more than 15 hours doing DFU installs trying to correct my severe battery drain. I waste my time scouring the forums searching for answers and still I have a badly performing o/s on my phone. I wish that I had stayed on iOS6.1.4 and just continued with my life, not being bothered by this problem.

So now you have a choice - correct? You can ditch Apple and let your voice be heard….

Sorry to hear you are having a battery drain, but just cuz you are having a severe battery drain, that most people don't - you are not trying to start any movement, are you?

200 million devices have downloaded iOS 7 and I am sure most of them will be behaving well. Some will be facing problems, but that is the nature of the beast - no two phones will behave exactly the same, just like any other electronics….

CTHarrryH
Sep 26, 2013, 07:55 AM
And the same people who complain that they can't roll back would complain if they wanted some feature that will only be availble on IOS 7 devices. I want the latest and greatest version of my app but I can't get it because it is only written for IOS 7 :(
You may not like progress but it always happens.
If I were an app developer I'd quickly not worry about those who don't want to upgrade - I can't program for all versions etc.

How many Adroid phones even get updates and new functions.

Saying you didn't know what was coming but saying you are a big user of iPhone is just impossible.

gotluck
Sep 26, 2013, 07:57 AM
Well, yeah? If the pain in the ass threshold is higher for trying to downgrade than it is for just sticking with a few changes you don't like, then why bother?

I dont think like that. I would rather have the option.
Apple is the software Nazi - no soup for you! Funny considering Apple is supposed to be as american as apple pie, yet everything is their way or the highway.

m00min
Sep 26, 2013, 08:01 AM
And the same people who complain that they can't roll back would complain if they wanted some feature that will only be availble on IOS 7 devices. I want the latest and greatest version of my app but I can't get it because it is only written for IOS 7 :(
You may not like progress but it always happens.
If I were an app developer I'd quickly not worry about those who don't want to upgrade - I can't program for all versions etc.

How many Adroid phones even get updates and new functions.

Saying you didn't know what was coming but saying you are a big user of iPhone is just impossible.

It would be nice to have the choice though. I'm not able to update to the latest version of Evernote because my iPhone is still on iOS6. I weighed up the pros and cons...

Pro: update to iOS7 and I can get rid of the awful cork board effect in Evernote

Con: upgrade to iOS7 and I lose BiteSMS

I decided that what I would gain would be outweighed by what I would lose.

See? Choices. Aren't they nice. If I ever need to restore my phone however that choice goes completely out the window.

CB1234
Sep 26, 2013, 08:02 AM
I dont think like that. I would rather have the option.
Apple is the software Nazi - no soup for you! Funny considering Apple is supposed to be as american as apple pie, yet everything is their way or the highway.

That has always been Apple's and Steve's philosophy…. Its nothing new…. Why does it even come as a surprise?

That is why Android entered the market to give people options who seek them…

Android will never be a closed ecosystem, same way Apple will never be an open system…

Its just the way it is and as a consumer - you have a choice - open or a close system? Pointless bitching about in on Apple Forum asking for choices, same as going on Android Forum and asking them to make it close system and give everyone latest upgrade and make it all seamless and one fits all….

dontpannic
Sep 26, 2013, 08:15 AM
There was no warning of such a drastic change.

I'm sorry? No warning of such a drastic change?

You didn't see the front page of the Apple website since June?
http://www.apple.com/ios/

You didn't see any of the news coverage of the iOS7 announcement?
http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/10/apple-ios-7/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/10/4407630/apple-announces-ios-7
http://readwrite.com/2013/06/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ios-7#awesm=~oiyb5Kj509r9uq
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2274104/ios-7-specs-and-features-everything-you-need-to-know

It wasn't just technology blogs which covered the story either:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22846725
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2013/06/12/apple-ios-7-whats-new-vs-android-and-windows-phones/2414023/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/10111178/New-look-iOS7-for-iPhone-revealed-at-WWDC-as-it-happened.html

It's not like it wasn't heavily publicised.

sk1wbw
Sep 26, 2013, 08:29 AM
Funny, cus my old Samsung Galaxy is running CyanogenMod 9 (equates to Android 4) just fine even though it shipped with an older Android version. If you buy a popular device and not just a cheap one then it will be supported by CyanogenMod.

I wonder how many people who wheel out this tired excuse have actually used Android.

I have. And I'm talking about stock android without having to do any mods or anything to install the latest kernel. You don't have to do anything to install iOS on your device. No custom kernels, no waiting for your cell phone provider... stuff the average smartphone owner can do.

wfoster
Sep 26, 2013, 08:34 AM
iOS7? What is that?