Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayinla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
What is the blue circled i next to my wifi signal strength?

Attachments

• IMG_0527.PNG
    IMG_0527.PNG
    68.5 KB · Views: 242

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
its a "more info/options" button. you can find it next to phone numbers or recent contacts in the messaging app too.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
In OS7 (and many other things) "i" stands for "information". Pretty obvious I would have thought. ;)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The icon may have been a self-destruct button. It's always best to check before pressing things.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Other than the reset all content and settings, I can't think of another button on an iDevice which would do such a thing.

According to some reports on the Internet, if you touch the home button on the 5S it scans your fingerprint and sends it to the NSA! :eek:

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I'm wondering where the hell this "purchased-P-download-arrow-thing" came from that appears in the App Store. There doesn't seem to be anything like it anywhere else in the OS and looks sort of dumb and out of place.
Update-Logo_zpsed180838.jpg

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
That's the trouble when you have a design that barely distinguishes interactive elements from non-interactive elements.

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
That's the trouble when you have a design that barely distinguishes interactive elements from non-interactive elements.

That is an excellent summation of my one over-arching complaint with the iOS 7 design language. Overall, I like iOS 7. I have a few iPad complaints that largely, I believe, stem from the iPad version being half-baked. And I have issues with the Music app on both the iPad and the iPod Touch/iPhone. But overall iOS 7 is attractive and functional. I kept two test devices on the beta from B3 forward, and I upgraded all the personal family devices as soon as Apple released the GM to developers.

But I've always thought that interactive and non-interactive elements should be clearly distinct. Flat is fine, but removing "touch target" circles and ovals from "buttons" and leaving simple text that is informational AND interactive doesn't strike me as good design.

But I still like iOS 7. (And I thought the circled-i symbol was clear enough. :) )

jayinla

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
But if he/she had touched the icon and found the answer, then how would he have had a chance to start a new thread???

Actually if I didn't start the thread I wouldn't have had an opportunity to read, your smug, unneeded, sarcastic response. Cheers to you.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
But if he/she had touched the icon and found the answer, then how would he have had a chance to start a new thread???

Just cause the original poster sees a symbol or icon does not necessarily mean you can touch it, and something will happen. Personally if I see an icon or symbol on ios7, my first instinct would not be to touch it. To me it would mean just to symbolize something.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I agree, if threadstarter would have touched the icon, he would have had his answer.

Who starts threads by trying to figure out things for themselves first? Half of these new threads can be googled in 15 seconds.

These are the same people who post a status update on Facebook for the sake of posting a status update.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Actually if I didn't start the thread I wouldn't have had an opportunity to read, your smug, unneeded, sarcastic response. Cheers to you.

You are indeed welcome. We aim to please.....:D

----------

Just cause the original poster sees a symbol or icon does not necessarily mean you can touch it, and something will happen. Personally if I see an icon or symbol on ios7, my first instinct would not be to touch it. To me it would mean just to symbolize something.

And what would be your second instinct??? Start a thread????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.