Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iversenboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Hi

I just got a new Macbook Air 13 - 2013 model and wanted install Windows 8 by bootcamp, but it appears it is a bit difficult than i thought.

I've tryed almost everything in this forum which seems to be easy by using EFI:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1600147/

But with no luck. When i boot up it should have the EFI boot option, but i only got OS, Recovery and WININSTALL
By the way i created an bootup USB using Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, and makes it a NTFS USB. USB includes the folder "efi". I tried using bootcamp to format USB with Windows 8 iso file, but it keeps coming errors that it cant copy windows archive? - so i thought i did it through a windows pc.

Then someone wrote this:

"Hi, this is more than likely because your USB stick is formatted in NTFS rather than FAT32. If you create it using the MS Windows 7 tool it formats it as NTFS and EFI on mac or PC can't read it. Copy the info off the stick, format it as fat32 then do a copy of all files (hidden etc) back onto it. Will work then. Had the same problem.

And then i wrote:

The Reason why Win 7 Tool makes it to NTFS is that the files are to big to be written on a fat32. Just tried it, and could'nt copy "install.wim" back on the USB because it was to big."

My question is:

Is there any other simple way to do this EFI windows install?

I only get OS, Recovery and WININSTALL at bootup and i have the EFI folder on the bootable USB.

I think many would be veery grateful if someone postet a video on youtube on how to do install windows 8 by EFI - step by step. including formating USB :)

P.S I dont need answers like: "Why would you even have windows on a mac air" or "Just do Windows 7 instead"

I seek an answer from someone who has great experience in installing windows 8 on a mac air 2013 model.

WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANYONE COULD HELP, BECAUSE I'M KINDA STUCK

- Patrick Iversen

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
You have two options, neither installs Windows in EFI mode. These uses Boot Camps BIOS emulation instead.

Option 1:
Install rEFIt (or a fork that works with Mountain Lion or Mavericks) on your main OS X bootable harddrive. This wont remove OS X. Then use Boot Camp to make a partition that emulates BIOS.
Then use rEFIt to boot from your NTFS install medium and install windows to the partition that your EFI already knows needs emulated BIOS. (if windows does not show up when holding ALT key while booting you can use rEFIt to boot into windows, after some boots your EFI will recognize windows as well)

Option 2:
You can partition the harddisk using Boot Camp like above. Then use Parallels (free trial) select the Boot Camp partition, and use an ISO image to install windows.

-----------------------------------

Why do you want Windows 8 in EFI mode instead? I don't see what the problem with BIOS emulation is.

Du har to valg når du installerer Windows i BIOS modus.

Valg 1:
|Installer rEFIt (du må kanskje installere en version som here rEFInd hvis du har Mountain Lion eller Mavericks) Dette tar ikke bort OS X| Så burker du Boot Camp Assistant for å lage en Windows partisjon|Så restarter du og rEFIt vil la deg velge å starte fra NTFS minnepenn|Man kan bruke Mac sin vanlige EFI for å starte Windows, hvis EFI ikke ser Windows partisjonen så bruker du bare rEFIt noen ganger og den burde komme når den finner det for godt å oppdatere seg|

Valg 2:
|Lag partisjon på harddisken til Windows med Boot Camp Assistant|Last ned prøveversjon av Parallels Desktop|Bruk Parallels og velg Boot Camp|Installer windows med en ISO fil eller minnepenn|Restart Maskinen for å bruke Windows på vanlig måte når installasjonen er helt ferdig og du kan bruke Windows|

Last edited:

Iversenboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
You have two options, neither installs Windows in EFI mode. These uses Boot Camps BIOS emulation instead.

Option 1:
Install rEFIt (or a fork that works with Mountain Lion or Mavericks) on your main OS X bootable harddrive. This wont remove OS X. Then use Boot Camp to make a partition that emulates BIOS.
Then use rEFIt to boot from your NTFS install medium and install windows to the partition that your EFI already knows needs emulated BIOS. (if windows does not show up when holding ALT key while booting you can use rEFIt to boot into windows, after some boots your EFI will recognize windows as well)

Option 2:
You can partition the harddisk using Boot Camp like above. Then use Parallels (free trial) select the Boot Camp partition, and use an ISO image to install windows.

-----------------------------------

Why do you want Windows 8 in EFI mode instead? I don't see what the problem with BIOS emulation is.

I want to do it in EFI mode, because it is faster than BIOS and it seems to be easy to install. It said so in the link i sent here first:

I read the whole thing and after long time reading, i found out that EFI is faster and is the preffered way to install windows 8..

Do you write norwegien? - I can see you are from norway. Im from denmark, so i will better understand your tutoriel if you write norwegien :)

But it must be possible to do it the EFI way, like the others in the link.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
I want to do it in EFI mode, because it is faster than BIOS and it seems to be easy to install. It said so in the link i sent here first:

I read the whole thing and after long time reading, i found out that EFI is faster and is the preffered way to install windows 8..

Do you write norwegien? - I can see you are from norway. Im from denmark, so i will better understand your tutoriel if you write norwegien :)

But it must be possible to do it the EFI way, like the others in the link.

I insist in writing everything in English before I translate it to Norwegian for you :)
I will edit my first post with Norwegian translations soon.
Where are the speed increases using EFI? In boot time? Or lets say playing a game?

Jeg skriver på Engelsk først, fordi dette er et Engelsk forum.
Beklager jeg er mye flinkere i å formulere meg på Engelsk.
Jeg redigerer posten over med oversettelse.
Hvordan får du raskere maskin når du bruker EFI? Kun når man starter maskinen, eller når du for eksempel spiller dataspill?

Last edited:

Iversenboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
I insist in writing everything in English before I translate it to Norwegian for you :)
I will edit my first post with Norwegian translations soon.
Where are the speed increases using EFI? In boot time? Or lets say playing a game?

I dont know how it boots faster it says in the link :)

If you find out how to do it like they do and why i can't, please let me know

:)

You have no idea how to do EFI install or could you consider it?

Iversenboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
It seems the new MBA's are the first of a new breed of Macs, using EFI natively for BootCamp. Not without its problems though, according to some.

Edit - is your Windows 8 64 bit? Afaik only 64 bit versions can boot EFI

Yes it is windows 8 pro 64 bit. When i go through bootcamp to format USB with the iso file, it brings an error :S? why. I have tried everything. A 32gb USB, a 8 gb USB both tried with all different kinds of formats: MS(dos-fat), FAT32, exFAT, NTFS.. Dont know what to do....

WHY CANT I GET THE ISO FILE ON MY USB?

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
From what I'm reading on this subject and from my own observations it seems that it's just a normal BootCamp-made USB and that should produce a EFI_Boot option when you boot from that device.
If you're not getting this EFI Boot option then I suspect that your MBA has the older hybrid MBR partition-type rather than the newer all GPT structure.

Iversenboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
From what I'm reading on this subject and from my own observations it seems that it's just a normal BootCamp-made USB and that should produce a EFI_Boot option when you boot from that device.
If you're not getting this EFI Boot option then I suspect that your MBA has the older hybrid MBR partition-type rather than the newer all GPT structure.

No it has all GPT structure. Im thinking it is wrong with my windows8pro.iso file. I just dont understand why.

:S - im trying a new iso.file now just to see if it makes a difference

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I'm not being funny here, but how do you know? You can't see the hybrid mbr.
Even an all GPT disk has a protective mbr. You can't see that either.

Iversenboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
I'm not being funny here, but how do you know? You can't see the hybrid mbr.
Even an all GPT disk has a protective mbr. You can't see that either.

I just bought this mac air 13 from apple a week ago, i think it has the newest :)

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I agree. It should have the newer setup.
My thoughts are that the Windows installer will not offer the EFI Boot option if it detects a hybrid mbr.
Just an idea :)
It will be interesting to find out what the problem is.

Iversenboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
I agree. It should have the newer setup.
My thoughts are that the Windows installer will not offer the EFI Boot option if it detects a hybrid mbr.
Just an idea :)
It will be interesting to find out what the problem is.

Found out it was the iso file which was broken, dont know why?..
Trying with another one now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.