PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm gonna sell this iPhone 5

cuzo
Sep 25, 2013, 06:23 AM
I really miss the ability to download files to the phone. I miss tube are in particular and I miss downloading Ebooks and reading them on the phone.

I love the iPhone but income to realize I don't need that many programs. I'm 39 so I'm a little older and don't care for gaming so it's mostly Facebook and a couple other programs that I use.

The most expensive program I bought is 1password which honestly I don't use much and it's other epigrams that are free that does the same on android.

So I'm thinking to myself why? The build quality is great and I'm on my launch day 5 still but I need to do a bit more with the phone.

I'm thinking if a note 2 but I'm afraid of samsung build quality, can it last a whole 2 years on contract?

Sprint is a hassle at times and they refuse to do stuff for free when it's a obvious issue with the phone. Example htc evo og and the broken charging port that always came loose.

paulbennett95
Sep 25, 2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks for telling us?

Good luck with your new phone I suppose.

ChrisTX
Sep 25, 2013, 06:32 AM
I'm thinking if a note 2 but I'm afraid of samsung build quality, can it last a whole 2 years on contract?
With the Note 3 around the corner, I wouldn't consider a Note 2, unless you're looking to buy a cheaper one on Craigslist, or ebay. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

cuzo
Sep 25, 2013, 06:33 AM
Note 2 would be much cheaper and I have a year to go on my 5?

----------

How's the durability? It doesn't seem equal to iPhone looking at the YouTube drop test video.

SA Spyder
Sep 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
I went iPhone 5 - > LG Optimus G - > Galaxy S4 - > HTC One - > iPhone 5.

You'll be back. Why? Because iOS apps are way, way better than their Android counterparts. iPhone offers a more reliable, smoother, better-looking solution. While it does not do as much as Android, I prioritize "master of the essentials" over "jack of all trades but kind of slightly failing at each thing."

Downloads were nice but when it comes to what I miss from Android, that's about as far as it goes. I don't miss force closes, I don't miss it feeling sluggish despite it having 1.9GHz Quad Core and 2GB of RAM, I don't miss apps looking and functioning like legacy software, and I certainly don't miss that VM-feel to the entire OS that bottlenecks the experience of it.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 01:13 PM

You'll be back. Why? Because iOS apps are way, way better than their Android counterparts. iPhone offers a more reliable, smoother, better-looking solution. While it does not do as much as Android, I prioritize "master of the essentials" over "jack of all trades but kind of slightly failing at each thing."

Downloads were nice but when it comes to what I miss from Android, that's about as far as it goes. I don't miss force closes, I don't miss it feeling sluggish despite it having 1.9GHz Quad Core and 2GB of RAM, I don't miss apps looking and functioning like legacy software, and I certainly don't miss that VM-feel to the entire OS that bottlenecks the experience of it.

Yeah - that was you. Some people don't go back. SHOCKING!

I went from Original, to 3G to 4GS to 4 to 5/Samsung Skyrocket to S4. Not going back. Don't miss the iPhone anymore.

SA Spyder
Sep 25, 2013, 01:36 PM
Yeah - that was you. Some people don't go back. SHOCKING!

I went from Original, to 3G to 4GS to 4 to 5/Samsung Skyrocket to S4. Not going back. Don't miss the iPhone anymore.

From what he described as being important to him, I predict he'll regret it. I didn't say everyone on the planet would think the same way. Nice burst of defensiveness though.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 01:42 PM
From what he described as being important to him, I predict he'll regret it. I didn't say everyone on the planet would think the same way. Nice burst of defensiveness though.

No defensive - just find is amusing that based on his concerns you think they match why you would never leave iOS/the iPhone again.

kenknotts
Sep 25, 2013, 01:54 PM

An iPhone with a JB will do pretty much anything an Android phone can, so there is that option too.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 01:55 PM
An iPhone with a JB will do pretty much anything an Android phone can, so there is that option too.

Except have a bigger screen or better battery life ;)

Teasing you... I know what you meant.

kenknotts
Sep 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
Except have a bigger screen or better battery life ;)

Teasing you... I know what you meant.

True about the screen, battery, not so sure. I took my 5s off the charger 3hrs 20mins ago. I have streamed an hour of iTunes radio to my Beats box via bluetooth, browsed the web, texts and played words with friends. 1hr 52min of usage and my battery is still at 93%. With my S4, this kind of usage and I would be at about 70% right now. Very impressed with the 5s battery so far and Ive only charged the phone fully once.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
True about the screen, battery, not so sure. I took my 5s off the charger 3hrs 20mins ago. I have streamed an hour of iTunes radio to my Beats box via bluetooth, browsed the web, texts and played words with friends. 1hr 52min of usage and my battery is still at 93%. With my S4, this kind of usage and I would be at about 70% right now. Very impressed with the 5s battery so far and Ive only charged the phone fully once.

I can't speak to the 5S. Only the 5 (and pre OS7). My Skyrocket was getting about the same battery life - sometimes better - sometimes worse.

The S4 has really impressed me. For example - I've been pretty active since 6am this morning on it (granted - not streaming video but a lot of whatsapp, emails, etc) and it's at 71 percent right now.

*old-guy*
Sep 26, 2013, 03:21 AM

You'll be back. Why? Because iOS apps are way, way better than their Android counterparts.

I honestly mean no offence when I say this but, in all honesty, the Apps on an iPad are only superior to any other Apps if you actually use them.

Savor
Sep 26, 2013, 03:41 AM
An iPhone with a JB will do pretty much anything an Android phone can, so there is that option too. Did JBing when it started. Got sick of having to JB after every new update.

Extra few steps just to match things Android can do right out of the box.

cuzo
Sep 26, 2013, 05:47 AM
While I will admit that I love the polish if Apple apps and since I used to use android phones I can honestly stay apple apps are miles ahead the thing is that I don't use many apps period.

I can say for business or productivity I use Dropbox, 1password, Evernote and that's basically it so I don't buy or ever use many apps at all.

1password is nice but it's like 50 bucks a year for the windows version and I don't have a MacBook, I can't afford them.

The rest if my apps are social networking based and streaming apps like stitcher radio.

what really gets me about the iPhone is the keyboard, at all add in a cursor line like what swift key uses.

Also the notification area still needs much work.

To be honest I don't want to trade for a android due to resale value, I've had several people offer htc one and gs4s and I held back because I knew I would lose money compared to keeping the iPhone but the core issues are really bugging me.

I think Apple is maker suited for people who plays lots of games and are heavily evolved I'm the apple ecosystem.

Those of us that aren't it is a different story.

I see people firing up Instagram all day, texting and social networking is all they do.

----------

This keyboard..,,, smh

APhillyApple
Sep 26, 2013, 08:58 AM
Thanks for sharing, I hope you end up happy with your choice.

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2013, 09:01 AM
While I will admit that I love the polish if Apple apps and since I used to use android phones I can honestly stay apple apps are miles ahead the thing is that I don't use many apps period.

I can say for business or productivity I use Dropbox, 1password, Evernote and that's basically it so I don't buy or ever use many apps at all.

1password is nice but it's like 50 bucks a year for the windows version and I don't have a MacBook, I can't afford them.

The rest if my apps are social networking based and streaming apps like stitcher radio.

what really gets me about the iPhone is the keyboard, at all add in a cursor line like what swift key uses.

Also the notification area still needs much work.

To be honest I don't want to trade for a android due to resale value, I've had several people offer htc one and gs4s and I held back because I knew I would lose money compared to keeping the iPhone but the core issues are really bugging me.

I think Apple is maker suited for people who plays lots of games and are heavily evolved I'm the apple ecosystem.

Those of us that aren't it is a different story.

I see people firing up Instagram all day, texting and social networking is all they do.

----------

This keyboard..,,, smh

The keyboard experience (and thus, the overall phone experience for anyone who emails, texts, tweets and generally types a lot) is superior on Android. By leaps and bounds.

netdog
Sep 26, 2013, 09:05 AM
No defensive - just find is amusing that based on his concerns you think they match why you would never leave iOS/the iPhone again.

I love when people who no longer use iPhones are still reading iPhone forums.

I'm just sayin'.

samcraig
Sep 26, 2013, 09:57 AM

I'm just sayin'.

This isn't an iPhone forum. Just sayin'

cheekypaul
Sep 26, 2013, 01:33 PM
This isn't an iPhone forum. Just sayin'

ha! ouch!
:D

NuggetSauce
Sep 26, 2013, 02:48 PM
Go for it. It's a win win situation. Either you end up liking your new phone more and are happy with the purchase. Or you end up missing things about iPhone and iOS and go back with a new found appreciation.

Bottom line is everyone should experience both platforms and sample what they both have to offer.

Stuntman06
Sep 26, 2013, 03:53 PM

I'm just sayin'.

I like to know what people using devices I don't feel about their devices as well as other devices.

kenknotts
Sep 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
Did JBing when it started. Got sick of having to JB after every new update.

Extra few steps just to match things Android can do right out of the box.

I dont see the problem, CM used to update every other day it seemed. Sure, Android can do more out of the box, but its also bogged down by awful bloatware, manufacturer skin like TW or Sense that you have to root and rom to get rid of and you are at the mercy of your carrier for any updates if you stay stock. Android out of the box isnt very good at all IMO.

Fanaticalism
Sep 26, 2013, 10:37 PM
I dont see the problem, CM used to update every other day it seemed. Sure, Android can do more out of the box, but its also bogged down by awful bloatware, manufacturer skin like TW or Sense that you have to root and rom to get rid of and you are at the mercy of your carrier for any updates if you stay stock. Android out of the box isnt very good at all IMO.

No real need to root to delete bloat, just disable.

A launcher and a few tweaks in settings has the phone running smoothly as well as quickly (no unnecessary animations etc.).

If you grab a phone like a Samsung, FW and third party support are solid (it's one of two reasons I chose it over the HTC).

To each is own.

cuzo
Sep 27, 2013, 07:03 PM
I decided one the htc one. Gonna pick one up and test it out.

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 27, 2013, 07:43 PM
I really miss the ability to download files to the phone. I miss tube are in particular and I miss downloading Ebooks and reading them on the phone.

Huh? I download PDFs, ePub, Kindle and comic books to my iPhone all the time, without using iTunes. Just surf, press the link to download and press and hold on the file and choose "Open In..." Can even do this with archived formats like Zip, Rar, whatever.

Do what you want but at least learn how to use the device properly or you'll be hating the Android too.

cuzo
Sep 28, 2013, 10:31 AM
I'm using calibre to convert a PDF to a mobi format and upload it in kindle library and open it on my iPad and I can't do it.

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 28, 2013, 10:37 AM
Why bother converting a PDF to a Mobi? Just press and hold the PDF and choose "Open in iBooks". Using mail you can even email books to yourself, or use Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Your issue is likely in the calibre conversion, which can easily corrupt the file header.

cuzo
Sep 28, 2013, 11:06 AM
Why bother converting a PDF to a Mobi? Just press and hold the PDF and choose "Open in iBooks". Using mail you can even email books to yourself, or use Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Your issue is likely in the calibre conversion, which can easily corrupt the file header.

I prefer the kindle format because it makes it much easier to read on the bus to work in the morning but I think you're right it's the calibre conversion.

The thing is since I can access the android file system when I had android, I could easier copy and paste the converted mobi format to the kindle folder on my android device.

I prefer the ipad by a mile over android tablets.

I'm going to do what you described.

ReallyBigFeet
Sep 28, 2013, 01:11 PM
It's been a while since I tried to open a non-DRM'd mobi file on the iPhone but I seem to recall I could just as easily select and hold and say "Open In Kindle app" to open it there. Might want to try that.

Having full access to the file system is great for customization options, side loading and such.

But for something as simple as transferring a file and opening it, iOS model of abstracting you from the file system makes simple tasks very easy.

Ringtones though....don't get me started.

PS: just tried, still works. Try this:

http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/1232/pg1232.mobi

cuzo
Sep 28, 2013, 04:20 PM
That works thanks alot

taedouni
Oct 3, 2013, 12:46 AM
Android phones do not have better a battery life because they're running android; they have a better battery life due to having a battery that's 1.5-2 times the size of an iPhone's battery.

kenknotts
Oct 3, 2013, 11:20 AM
Android phones do not have better a battery life because they're running android; they have a better battery life due to having a battery that's 1.5-2 times the size of an iPhone's battery.

My 5s gets better battery life than my S4 ever did on its best day. When I can stream an hour of Slacker radio over bluetooth plus some web browsing and texts and my battery is still at 98% after that usage and 3 hours off the charger, thats nice. My S4 would drop to 98% off the charger 15 minutes just sitting there.

samcraig
Oct 3, 2013, 11:22 AM
My 5s gets better battery life than my S4 ever did on its best day. When I can stream an hour of Slacker radio over bluetooth plus some web browsing and texts and my battery is still at 98% after that usage and 3 hours off the charger, thats nice. My S4 would drop to 98% off the charger 15 minutes just sitting there.

You must have had a defective phone. I can shoot a bunch of photos and even a video before my phone drops to 99 percent.

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 3, 2013, 01:20 PM

And the bigger battery typically due to larger screen = larger device = more room for one. And that larger screen, under equal use, burns more juice as well. Not enough to completely diminish the value of the larger battery, but enough to tax it.

Although I've really not found that my S3 and S4 got noticeably better battery life than my iPhone 5 in normal use. That's likely because I'm running a lot of add-ons on the Samsung's and they tend to absorb more juice.

This is with carrying both each day, with Wifi enabled + location services and bluetooth.

kenknotts
Oct 3, 2013, 01:23 PM
You must have had a defective phone. I can shoot a bunch of photos and even a video before my phone drops to 99 percent.

Doubtful, but try 1hrs 30mins of use and 3hrs 41mins off the charger and tell me your phone is still at 98%. Please post proof too.

samcraig
Oct 3, 2013, 01:34 PM
Doubtful, but try 1hrs 30mins of use and 3hrs 41mins off the charger and tell me your phone is still at 98%. Please post proof too.

Are you going to post proof that after 15 minutes of your phone being idle off the charger it dropped 2%?

kenknotts
Oct 3, 2013, 01:41 PM
Are you going to post proof that after 15 minutes of your phone being idle off the charger it dropped 2%?

Dont have my S4 anymore. Sold it last week and kept the 5s, great decision.

cuzo
Oct 3, 2013, 03:33 PM

I'm going to have to call bs on this one.

My iPhone 5 is at 50% streaming for 2 hours podcast.

Keep in mind your battery in new so check back in 6 months and say that again.

I still didn't sell the 5. Still have it.

kenknotts
Oct 3, 2013, 03:38 PM
I'm going to have to call bs on this one.

My iPhone 5 is at 50% streaming for 2 hours podcast.

Keep in mind your battery in new so check back in 6 months and say that again.

I still didn't sell the 5. Still have it.

You have the 5, I have the 5s, different internals.

Rickline84
Oct 3, 2013, 09:20 PM
I am doing the opposite. I will be switching back to iphone. I had iphone 4 that i sold to buy galaxy s3 last year. I managed to keep gS3 6 months and bought iphone 5. GS3 was too buggy and the battery was awful. I got tempted by galaxy s4 this year but i am having the same problems (lagging, battery don't last me a day and android apps are just not always reliable). Therefore i will sell my galaxy s4 after using it for 3 months and i am going back to my iphone 5. Wifi connection on iphone 5 is also way better that on my galaxy s4. I also loses wifi connection sometimes with galaxy s4 but never with iphone. .

chrisrosemusic1
Oct 4, 2013, 08:19 AM
I decided one the htc one. Gonna pick one up and test it out.

I couldn't decide on that or the S4. Ended up buying an S4 in the end because of the camera.

Good luck

Digital Skunk
Oct 4, 2013, 03:22 PM
About battery life and Androids, try using a Note 2 full brightness and multi-window with web browser in one and s-note in the other. Audio recording of a two hour meeting never shut off screen. WiFi, BT, and 4G.

Started the meeting with 45% (didn't charge the night before) ended two hours later with 40%.

I don't know about the GS3 or GS4 but the Note 2 destroys the battery life game right now. My wife has to charge her 4s every night and it's usually dead by 6 p.m.

I can keep the Note off of the charger 2-2.5 days if need be.

Fanaticalism
Oct 4, 2013, 06:23 PM
About battery life and Androids, try using a Note 2 full brightness and multi-window with web browser in one and s-note in the other. Audio recording of a two hour meeting never shut off screen. WiFi, BT, and 4G.

Started the meeting with 45% (didn't charge the night before) ended two hours later with 40%.

I don't know about the GS3 or GS4 but the Note 2 destroys the battery life game right now. My wife has to charge her 4s every night and it's usually dead by 6 p.m.

I can keep the Note off of the charger 2-2.5 days if need be.

My wife has the 5 and prior to the iOS7 update, I would typically get an extra hour compared to her (I Have an S4), this is taking into account that I am a much heavier user. After the iOS7 update, I get about 1:30 of battery life more than she does.

P.S. I keep my brightness at 100%.

kenknotts
Oct 4, 2013, 06:39 PM

Sorry, I call BS. I had a Note 2 for almost a year and dont believe this for a second

Digital Skunk
Oct 5, 2013, 10:42 PM
Sorry, I call BS. I had a Note 2 for almost a year and dont believe this for a second

The sad part is many "battery life" claims people make are going to be borderline bs. It will always depend on the person and how theh use it.

Even now I am at 70% battery life after a full day of moderate usage and streaming a few movies over Sprint 4G.