PDA

View Full Version : Samsung introduces Golden Galaxy S4...(Yup, really)

Brandon263
Sep 25, 2013, 07:25 AM
I guess I knew that this would happen:

Two weeks after Apple's September 10th reveal of a champagne-colored iPhone, Samsung is launching its own golden phone in the shape of a new Gold Edition Galaxy S4. There are two options, Gold Pink or Gold Brown, which Samsung is proudly showing off on its United Arab Emirates social media outlets. It's doubtful that these handsets will make it to a global distribution — they look to be targeted at the same well-off demographic that might consider buying a handset like the Nokia Oro — but the important thing is that Samsung can now claim to also have a golden flagship product.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4769086/samsung-counters-iphone-5s-with-a-golden-galaxy-s4

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 07:38 AM

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/25/4769086/samsung-counters-iphone-5s-with-a-golden-galaxy-s4

I hope you're not insinuating that after watching Apple's keynote they rushed to get "gold" into their lineup vs already having it on the roadmap...

Tsuchiya
Sep 25, 2013, 07:47 AM
Gotta admire Samsungs balls for trying to seize the moment.

There's a reason why the Galaxy line took off in the first place, and not because there weren't other Android rivals on the market.

APhillyApple
Sep 25, 2013, 08:00 AM
LOL @ Samsung!! They are quite pathetic. I cant quit laughing at the blatant copycat nature of this company. They want to be Apple so bad, they cant stand themselves. Let the spinning begin!

CEmajr
Sep 25, 2013, 08:02 AM
Another Samsung device "inspired" by Apple. What's next, S-TouchID?

I thought they would've at least waited until the S5 to do a gold phone.

gotluck
Sep 25, 2013, 08:02 AM
Well they want to be apple aside from the screen size of their phones...

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 08:13 AM
Are we still arguing that one side isn't more rife with double standards than the other?

BlueGoldAce
Sep 25, 2013, 08:16 AM
Are we still arguing that one side isn't more rife with double standards than the other?

Both sides are guilty.....but you got to admit, this is sad enough it is amusing.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 08:16 AM
How come no one is pointing out Samsung had gray colored phones before apple?

Where's your god now?

mattopotamus
Sep 25, 2013, 08:19 AM

Where's your god now?

or the fact more than black and white has been offered for a long time. Oh knows the 5C copied android b.c they have more colors!!!

technowar
Sep 25, 2013, 08:22 AM

Where's your god now?

Every phone manufacturers has gray colored phones.

Where's your god now?

MH01
Sep 25, 2013, 08:24 AM
Well this is pathetic. Liked the s3 but loosing lots of respect for samsung.

skratch77
Sep 25, 2013, 08:33 AM
Samsung added 2 colors to the s3 mid cycle also last year.this is not something new with Samsung .its a mid cycle face lift.

Last year they added red and brown to the gs3

Now they added pink and gold vs red and brown

Jessica Lares
Sep 25, 2013, 08:33 AM
I don't have a god. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is that Samsung doesn't care, they just want their name slapped on anything and everything they can manufacture. They're not worried about infringing on anyone's patents, they don't care whether they're just a big copycat of everyone else. They do it because they can. They lose a lawsuit, who cares? That's a day's worth of paycheck for them.

It's a disgusting way of doing business, and in the end, the only one who suffers is the companies like Apple and Dyson. Which is alright to them because the more they push money into these lawsuits, the less money they have overall, which will lead to financial trouble, and boom, they're gone and that's just the empty space where Samsung can line up 500 different models of the same crap to profit from.

sviato
Sep 25, 2013, 08:40 AM
I hope you're not insinuating that after watching Apple's keynote they rushed to get "gold" into their lineup vs already having it on the roadmap...

But was it added to the roadmap when rumors of a gold iPhone began a few months ago? ;)

or the fact more than black and white has been offered for a long time. Oh knows the 5C copied android b.c they have more colors!!!

I'd say they copied Nokia rather than Android

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 08:44 AM

The bottom line is that Samsung doesn't care, they just want their name slapped on anything and everything they can manufacture. They're not worried about infringing on anyone's patents, they don't care whether they're just a big copycat of everyone else. They do it because they can. They lose a lawsuit, who cares? That's a day's worth of paycheck for them.

It's a disgusting way of doing business, and in the end, the only one who suffers is the companies like Apple and Dyson. Which is alright to them because the more they push money into these lawsuits, the less money they have overall, which will lead to financial trouble, and boom, they're gone and that's just the empty space where Samsung can line up 500 different models of the same crap to profit from.

You see to state your opinion as facts. Where is any evidence that Samsung doesn't care about infringing patents. That they just want their name slapped on anything and everything.

Bias much?

skratch77
Sep 25, 2013, 08:47 AM

Lol do you think Samsung selling 50 million gs4s and 20 million note 2s are because of apple? Do you some how think apples gold color is going to help Samsung make more sales?

Its just a freaking color and another option.if someone has made up there mind on a gs4 the color choice is not going to change it.if Samsung didn't have hot gold pink you would of bought the white one.

Tsuchiya
Sep 25, 2013, 08:52 AM

With all due respect, neither Apple or Dyson were struggling last I checked. Introducing a gold coloured phone in a limited region is hardly some devious move made by a cartoon villain and the lawsuit put forward by Dyson won't bankrupt them.

identity
Sep 25, 2013, 08:57 AM
There have been gold phones before the iPhone which Apple sheeps don't understand. Samsung has also had gold phones released before so who's copying who?

Funny Apple fanboys say anything when Apple straight up copies features for iOS 7.

Hypocrites.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 09:08 AM

Me neither. :)

And I see others have already addressed the rest of your post quite adequately.

----------

Both sides are guilty.....but you got to admit, this is sad enough it is amusing.

I don't find it sad at all.

How come when Apple copies, these same people making these sorts of threads are so understanding and sympathetic that Apple is merely adopting the trends of technology? Indeed, when this happens, it's a good thing for iOS/iPhone users.

But when Samsung sees that Gold is popular and introduces it (along with other colors, it's not like they just made Gold) they're copying and ripping off Apple. Why isn't Samsung credited as adopting the trends as well?

Will we see this sort of threads from these same people when Apple adopts larger screens, screens potentially as large as 6" as some reports have said Apple is testing? Or will Apple be credited as wisely following the trends of larger screen devices, even as large as phablets?

They should be credited for the latter, but so should everyone else that does the same thing. Apple is copying Samsung as they rightly should, and Samsung is copying Apple, as they rightly should, too.

Everyone copies. Everyone follows tech trends. Each company sets a few trends here and there.

----------

Care to explain the 5C? Let's hear it, OP. Let's hear how fair you are.

http://prices9.com/mobiles/images/mobiles_pictures/4163_Nokia_Lumia_520.jpg

http://www.winbeta.org/sites/default/files/1200-nokia_lumia_620_color-combo1.jpg

Prototypical
Sep 25, 2013, 09:10 AM

Oh hey guys! Is this the party where we pat ourselves on the back for being atheists?

Samsung really will build anything/everything to try and outdo Apple, won't they? I'm not a fan of the gold 5S, but at least it's a palatable shade of gold/champagne. This appears to be GOLD gold... which I'm sure will look delightfully trashy in Samsung's high-quality plastic shell.

iosuser
Sep 25, 2013, 09:10 AM
Everyone copies something from someone, but in Samsung's case it's almost shameless.

Plastic finished in gold color will never look nearly as good as metal. It'll probably look pretty cheesy in person.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 09:16 AM
I don't even own a Samsung product. Came close to buying a Samsung TV recently, but went with LG.

I don't even care about Samsung nor am I even that big of a fan of them.

But threads like this are ridiculous.

----------

Oh hey guys! Is this the party where we pat ourselves on the back for being atheists?

We can if you want it to be, I guess? :p

Anything would be better than this pathetic thread.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 25, 2013, 09:19 AM
It isn't about originality or borrowing ideas - that's going to happen in the industry.

My problem is that their gold phones are so flipping ugly. Design is just not Samsung's strong point.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 09:20 AM
It isn't about originality or borrowing ideas - that's going to happen in the industry.

My problem is that their gold phones are so flipping ugly. Design is just not Samsung's strong point.

Your "problem" ?

Why is this a problem for you. Were you going to buy a gold S4 and now won't because of how it looks?

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 09:24 AM
Well, I guess you could say Samsung are innovators after all. Sure, their innovations are mostly in copying, but hey, an innovation is an innovation. I wonder how many others will follow suit and start copying the copying now.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 09:27 AM
Well, I guess you could say Samsung are innovators after all. Sure, their innovations are mostly in copying, but hey, an innovation is an innovation. I wonder how many others will follow suit and start copying the copying now.

Who said having a gold phone was innovative?

rockitdog
Sep 25, 2013, 09:29 AM
Such a weak move... I mean seriously, gold is so outdated. If Gold phones are coming back in style, the I don't want to be in style!

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 25, 2013, 09:32 AM
Your "problem" ?

Why is this a problem for you. Were you going to buy a gold S4 and now won't because of how it looks?

Someone is literal this morning.

Let me rephrase. Although I have no intention of buying any Samsung product, I dislike the design of their gold "phone of the week." Looking at it displeases me.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 09:35 AM

Have no clue what this is even supposed to mean, but okay.

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 09:37 AM
Who said having a gold phone was innovative?

It's not...

It's the COPYING that is innovative.

Digital Skunk
Sep 25, 2013, 09:37 AM
Wow, I am glad I don't have to slap down the knee-jerk comments in this thread. Other level headed posters have done a good job of that. I must address/complement these however.

Samsung added 2 colors to the s3 mid cycle also last year.this is not something new with Samsung .its a mid cycle face lift.

Last year they added red and brown to the gs3

Now they added pink and gold vs red and brown

Agreed, and it's actually a trend in just about every other Asian company. Nikon and Fuji do the SAME THING with their cameras more often than not.

This isn't the lineup I was looking for specifically, it's probably an after market job, but back in the film days of the 90s, Nikon and Fuji and Canon had black, silver, and cheap gold models of all of their small P&S film bodies.

But was it added to the roadmap when rumors of a gold iPhone began a few months ago? ;)

It was probably added to the roadmap a year ago. Most other companies move much faster than Apple on many things. Sometimes that speed hinders, sometimes it helps.

Was Apple the first to invent gold plated electronic devices?

fSHAD
Sep 25, 2013, 09:40 AM
The next big thing is here :D

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 09:42 AM
Have no clue what this is even supposed to mean, but okay.

Bah, My joke didn't go as well as I intended. Basically what I was trying to amuse with is this:

An innovator is defined as a person who introduces new methods, ideas, or products. In this case I was insinuating that Samsung has introduced a new "method" for copying. Their method (which should be patented IMO) is quicker, better, more shameless than any other, so it COULD be classified as an innovation. Something Apple clearly has not been doing for a while. So my attempt at amusement was that the only one who is truly innovating here is Samsung.

Jessica Lares
Sep 25, 2013, 09:42 AM
I'm going to say that the 5Cs were always in the pipeline. Apple has been playing with color since the late 90's. And products like the MacBooks and iPods have gone through changes in the way they are coated.

The first iPhone has this problem where the aluminum coating starts to come off and leave all these spots everywhere. The white iPhone had the light leak issues right around the time it was announced.

I'm pretty sure that the 5C was going to be like the iPod Touch 5th generation, but then they had issues with the cellular and GPS chips, and that's why they ended up going the plastic route.

Nokia is just eating up the free advertising. I would say the Moto X is the one copying their style.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 09:46 AM
It's not...

It's the COPYING that is innovative.

So Apple IS innovative as well then. Got it.

----------

I'm going to say that the 5Cs were always in the pipeline. Apple has been playing with color since the late 90's. And products like the MacBooks and iPods have gone through changes in the way they are coated.

The first iPhone has this problem where the aluminum coating starts to come off and leave all these spots everywhere. The white iPhone had the light leak issues right around the time it was announced.

I'm pretty sure that the 5C was going to be like the iPod Touch 5th generation, but then they had issues with the cellular and GPS chips, and that's why they ended up going the plastic route.

Nokia is just eating up the free advertising. I would say the Moto X is the one copying their style.

All companies play with specs, colors, designs. No revelation there. What's interesting is that some people think that when it's Apple - it's that they've had it in their pipeline. When another company does it - they are copying.

Digital Skunk
Sep 25, 2013, 09:46 AM

So basically Apple does no wrong and invented everything long before anyone else even if another company comes out with it first it was Apple that REALLY came out with it but didn't because they were working with it behind closed doors?

Or, Apple no matter what does everything before everyone even if there's proof to the contrary? Or even if an entirely different and separate industry does something long before Apple was even in the public eye it was still Apple that did it first because they were going to eventually do it in the future?

That's really what your post says to me.

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 09:47 AM
So Apple IS innovative as well then. Got it.

Well, not particularly... they just copy. Samsung appear to be the true innovators of copying. They've built a nice little foundation over there doing it.

Prototypical
Sep 25, 2013, 09:48 AM

How so? Of all of the nonsense going on with "innovation" claims, Motorola seems to have actually done something nobody else has - allow the user to decide what Motorola builds... instead of Motorola deciding for the user what he/she wants. I know the wood backs are still a ways off, but the entire concept of self-designed mobile devices is a step in a new direction. Props to Moto for doing it, even if the X itself isn't earth-shattering.

Digital Skunk
Sep 25, 2013, 09:50 AM
Well, not particularly... they just copy. Samsung appear to be the true innovators of copying. They've built a nice little foundation over there doing it.

Apple's been copying long before Samsung. Apple will definitely sue Sammy for copying their copying style.

Apple was copying other company's innovations and told the public that they copied it long before they even began to copy other's work and trot it around like innovation.

/jk

Jessica Lares
Sep 25, 2013, 10:00 AM
The only reason we always say Apple works behind closed doors is because we KNOW they do, and all that evidence was brought up in the Samsung lawsuits earlier this year.

They are NOT the company who bring out a product overnight. How many different Lumia devices are out now? How many new products did Samsung release yesterday?

And you know, Nokia boasted about color, yes, but their two best selling handsets in the US are the low ends you can only get in white or black. You have to get the on-contract models to get the ones in cyan, red, yellow, etc. The 1020 costs $100 more on-contract and only comes in black, white, and yellow too.

ReanimationN
Sep 25, 2013, 10:06 AM

Image (http://prices9.com/mobiles/images/mobiles_pictures/4163_Nokia_Lumia_520.jpg)

Image (http://www.winbeta.org/sites/default/files/1200-nokia_lumia_620_color-combo1.jpg)

Err, if you're trying to make a point about Apple copying, I don't think their use of colour in their products is the best choice to make:

http://images.csnw.com/lrg/appl_imachuddle.jpg

http://photos.appleinsider.com/iPodNano7.101212.001.jpg

As for the topic, I really don't care. Samsung's made gold phones before, as have other manufacturers. That they'd choose to do another one now does scream a little 'me too', but Apple hardly owns the colour, or invented it. If gold phones are going to become popular, then why not get in early.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 10:12 AM
The only reason we always say Apple works behind closed doors is because we KNOW they do, and all that evidence was brought up in the Samsung lawsuits earlier this year.

They are NOT the company who bring out a product overnight. How many different Lumia devices are out now? How many new products did Samsung release yesterday?

Right. Apple takes their time with every single product - but companies like Samsung can create products overnight and be in production :rolleyes:

Do you have any understanding how much work goes into getting a phone to market? Clearly not.

----------

And you know, Nokia boasted about color, yes, but their two best selling handsets in the US are the low ends you can only get in white or black. You have to get the on-contract models to get the ones in cyan, red, yellow, etc. The 1020 costs $100 more on-contract and only comes in black, white, and yellow too.

You're aware that Nokia has had various color phones since the 90s, right?

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 10:19 AM
So basically Apple does no wrong and invented everything long before anyone else even if another company comes out with it first it was Apple that REALLY came out with it but didn't because they were working with it behind closed doors?

Or, Apple no matter what does everything before everyone even if there's proof to the contrary? Or even if an entirely different and separate industry does something long before Apple was even in the public eye it was still Apple that did it first because they were going to eventually do it in the future?

That's really what your post says to me.

Look, I'm having a little fun here with all this so if I offend anyone, or ruffle anyone's feathers, I apologize. But as far as the copying goes, I agree that everyone does it. Even Apple. but the thing that irks me, and probably most of the people you would label as fanboys or haters, is the fashion in which Samsung does it, at least the appearance of the way they do it. The way I see it is almost as if they have a team waiting on standby to see what apple does, then shamelessly put out a quick copy of it. Barely putting their own "twist" to it. Items like their S-Voice, the mini stores in Best Buy, the microphone in their voice recorder app, the "tickets" in their "Samsung Wallet" app that look like Passbook, their early product packaging. And look at patent D686,201 just issued... (http://www.patentbolt.com/2013/07/samsung-wins-19-design-patents-including-an-all-new-compact-tv-remote-controller-and-two-controversial-wins.html) it looks like a mac mini. Theres even a Laptop i've seen of theirs that looks just like a Macbook, right down to the keys.

it's one thing to copy a feature or two, one or two aspects of a design... That doesn't bother me. Apple Does it, MS does it, Google does it, Nokia etc. but it just seems to me that Samsung just copies everything and anything that works for Apple (or any other company). That's what I think irks most non-Samsung fans and why you don't see nearly as much of the b**ching and moaning about the other companies when they copy something.

dojoman
Sep 25, 2013, 10:22 AM
Samsung wants to be so much like Apple. First 64 bit chip then now Gold color, Touch ID is next for sure. haha Samsung does not copy. Get real!!!

Technarchy
While the gold iPhone 5 is quite hot in terms of demand, I seriously doubt a gold GS4 will get the same adoration.

appleii.c
Do you have any understanding how much work goes into getting a phone to market? Clearly not.

To be fair... How much work do you think would go into adding a different color dye into an existing process? It's not a new phone, not a new template, not a new cast, no new software to write and test... Just a new color. How difficult would it be for Apple now to add a "Gold" back to the already in production 5c?

EDIT: Not to mention, it's not even available yet, is it (I may be mistaken)? So this would give them more time to manufacture. All they really needed to do was make the announcement.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 25, 2013, 10:27 AM
I think the Gold-Pink will sell very well. The Gold, not so much.

Who cares about copying. One could easily say Notification/Control center, app preview, Lock screen, Safari tab view, and etc on iOS7 is a blatant copy.

You guys are really piss off over who copies colors? :eek:

samcraig
Look, I'm having a little fun here with all this so if I offend anyone, or ruffle anyone's feathers, I apologize. But as far as the copying goes, I agree that everyone does it. Even Apple. but the thing that irks me, and probably most of the people you would label as fanboys or haters, is the fashion in which Samsung does it, at least the appearance of the way they do it. The way I see it is almost as if they have a team waiting on standby to see what apple does, then shamelessly put out a quick copy of it. Barely putting their own "twist" to it. Items like their S-Voice, the mini stores in Best Buy, the microphone in their voice recorder app, the "tickets" in their "Samsung Wallet" app that look like Passbook, their early product packaging. And look at patent D686,201 just issued... (http://www.patentbolt.com/2013/07/samsung-wins-19-design-patents-including-an-all-new-compact-tv-remote-controller-and-two-controversial-wins.html) it looks like a mac mini. Theres even a Laptop i've seen of theirs that looks just like a Macbook, right down to the keys.

it's one thing to copy a feature or two, one or two aspects of a design... That doesn't bother me. Apple Does it, MS does it, Google does it, Nokia etc. but it just seems to me that Samsung just copies everything and anything that works for Apple (or any other company). That's what I think irks most non-Samsung fans and why you don't see nearly as much of the b**ching and moaning about the other companies when they copy something.

The mic is hardly unique to Apple. Nor is the store within a store. S Voice is more a usurping of Google's offering, etc. People see what they want to see.

To be fair... How much work do you think would go into adding a different color dye into an existing process? It's not a new phone, not a new template, not a new cast, no new software to write and test... Just a new color. How difficult would it be for Apple now to add a "Gold" back to the already in production 5c?

You tell me - how much work was it for Apple to get their white iPhone "correct" ;)

Digital Skunk

Don't worry, I was having fun with your comment too. The one you quoted was from someone that really made no sense to me.

I apologize for not making my comment to you clearer.

Trust, I know a joke when I see one, even if I don't make mine as clear for others.

I am no big brand fanboy myself. My desk is cluttered with competing products; a Note 2, an iPad 2, a Macbook Pro, a custom built PC, etc. On the high end, the rack has a Tandberg decoder and a Uniden decoder, and folks in the broadcast industry would think I was NUTS for getting a Uniden.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 10:31 AM
I am no big brand fanboy myself. My desk is cluttered with competing products; a Note 2, an iPad 2, a Macbook Pro, a custom built PC, etc. On the high end, the rack has a Tandberg decoder and a Uniden decoder, and folks in the broadcast industry would think I was NUTS for getting a Uniden.

Well no - you're not a fanboy - you're clearly a hater since you aren't 100% dedicated to the Apple ecosystem. In fact - why do you post here? This is an Apple ONLY website :p:eek::rolleyes:

Digital Skunk
Sep 25, 2013, 10:32 AM
Samsung wants to be so much like Apple. First 64 bit chip then now Gold color, Touch ID is next for sure. haha Samsung does not copy. Get real!!!

The sad part is that 64 bit in a smartphone was talked about long before Apple even brought out the iPhone . . . . . . and . . . . . guess what . . . . .?

Samsung makes the dam chip anyway. (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2296600/teardown-reveals-samsung-built-a7-chip-inside-the-iphone-5s)

I think the Gold-Pink will sell very well. The Gold, not so much.

Who cares about copying. One could easily say Notification/Control center, app preview, Lock screen, Safari tab view, and etc on iOS7 is a blatant copy.

You guys are really piss off over who copies colors? :eek:

True that, and anyone that's ever been in the tech circles for more than 5 years will remember the Palm Pre's card multitasking. Which Apple totally ripped for iOS 7 as well.

Well no - you're not a fanboy - you're clearly a hater since you aren't 100% dedicated to the Apple ecosystem. In fact - why do you post here? This is an Apple ONLY website :p:eek::rolleyes:

You and I both know that that's the going consensus in certain forums . . . . that I try to stay away from. Unfortunately the urge to be a forum Nazi and correct errors and FUD just over-powers me.

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 10:39 AM
The mic is hardly unique to Apple. Nor is the store within a store. S Voice is more a usurping of Google's offering, etc. People see what they want to see.

You tell me - how much work was it for Apple to get their white iPhone "correct" ;)

True, People will see what they choose. And truth be told, nothing (or should I say, verrrry few thing) is [are] really "Unique" anymore. Mic's, stores, icons, colors, watches, materials... pretty much everything is done.

And as far as the white iPhone, was the delay because of production constraints, or marketing/demand/wanting to wait to make MORE money later with a "new" color"? I bet if someone else had a very successful "white" phone selling millions, Apple would have come out with it MUCH quicker.

Don't worry, I was having fun with your comment too. The one you quoted was from someone that really made no sense to me.

I apologize for not making my comment to you clearer.

Trust, I know a joke when I see one, even if I don't make mine as clear for others.

Haha, i know, this is amusing to me. I understood what you were going for. I'll admit, i prefer Apple products, but I'm not against using another companies superior product. Gmail, Google Maps, Outlook, Excel, Chrome... So my loyalty is "limited" too I guess. I think MOST people have a favorite, a brand they like or trust the most, but aren't afraid to try something else. And they have brands they dislike for whatever reason. Then you have the true "blind" consumers who buy/use nothing but ONE brand. I think they are the minority though, but seem to make the most noise.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 10:42 AM
Haha, i know, this is amusing to me. I understood what you were going for. I'll admit, i prefer Apple products, but I'm not against using another companies superior product. Gmail, Google Maps, Outlook, Excel, Chrome... So my loyalty is "limited" too I guess. I think MOST people have a favorite, a brand they like or trust the most, but aren't afraid to try something else. And they have brands they dislike for whatever reason. Then you have the true "blind" consumers who buy/use nothing but ONE brand. I think they are the minority though, but seem to make the most noise.

Well my biggest "chuckle" are the people who condemn Samsung at every turn and would NEVER buy a Samsung product - but are perfectly OK with Samsung components IN their phone/devices.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 25, 2013, 10:44 AM
The LG G2 copied Samsung's S4 and touchwiz. I don't see any S4 users (including myself) complaining. I actually like that companies are in a arms race. Makes choices a bit easier instead of being so distant from each other.

iosuser
Sep 25, 2013, 10:55 AM

It's extremely difficult nowadays to come out with something truly new and original. I can't think of one thing from Apple since the iPod that never existed before. The difference is when Apple comes out with their version of something, it will work and it will work smoothly. I take no issue when one takes an existing product and make it work better; I can't say the same for any of the Android products I've bought. I want a bigger screen so much since last year's Samsung GS3, sold it couple months later and went back to iPhone. Same this year with the HTC One, although I still have it it's just been sitting there for 2 months now, back to iPhone I went.

I just bought a 5s yesterday. I've had many gadgets with a finger print reader before, but none had ever just worked like the sensor on the 5s - they were all finicky, requiring multiple swipes, other times not work at all. With the exception of putting a finger I haven't registered on my 5s, I have not once gotten the try again message yet.

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 10:55 AM
Well my biggest "chuckle" are the people who condemn Samsung at every turn and would NEVER buy a Samsung product - but are perfectly OK with Samsung components IN their phone/devices.

Well, probably because they cant actually SEE the Samsung component, or possibly don't even know it's in there. Ignorance is bliss.

Plus, they really have no choice. If they want Apple products (or any other company's product that uses them), Samsung is in there.

Tinmania
Sep 25, 2013, 11:08 AM
The LG G2 copied Samsung's S4 and touchwiz. I don't see any S4 users (including myself) complaining. I actually like that companies are in a arms race. Makes choices a bit easier instead of being so distant from each other.
Indeed.

I generally hate car analogies but imagine if you could only get cruise control from GM, anti-lock brakes from Ford, steering wheel controls from Chrysler, etc.

Michael

The Game 161
Sep 25, 2013, 11:09 AM
LOL @ Samsung!! They are quite pathetic. I cant quit laughing at the blatant copycat nature of this company. They want to be Apple so bad, they cant stand themselves. Let the spinning begin!

LOL Samsung want to give people CHOICE...nothing wrong with that.

Solomani
Sep 25, 2013, 11:14 AM

They could benefit by cloning (copying/replicating) Sir Jonny Ive? :D

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 11:15 AM
It's extremely difficult nowadays to come out with something truly new and original. I can't think of one thing from Apple since the iPod that never existed before. The difference is when Apple comes out with their version of something, it will work and it will work smoothly. I take no issue when one takes an existing product and make it work better; I can't say the same for any of the Android products I've bought. I want a bigger screen so much since last year's Samsung GS3, sold it couple months later and went back to iPhone. Same this year with the HTC One, although I still have it it's just been sitting there for 2 months now, back to iPhone I went.

I just bought a 5s yesterday. I've had many gadgets with a finger print reader before, but none had ever just worked like the sensor on the 5s - they were all finicky, requiring multiple swipes, other times not work at all. With the exception of putting a finger I haven't registered on my 5s, I have not once gotten the try again message yet.

A huge misperception people have (and this statement coming from an apple loyalist) is that Apple is this huge innovative company. Although they have innovated on some fronts, it's not near the level people think. Even the iPod you mentioned... Sony had the Walkman before it. What Apple has done in the past, and IMO continues to do well, is take existing technology and bring it to the mass market in a very clean and useable way (and yes, for the most part "it just works"). They are great at this. Not sure you would consider that innovation, but it's what they do, and they are great at it. I might say they are more pioneers than they are innovators.

Pompiliu
Sep 25, 2013, 11:17 AM
Golden cheap plastic?

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001776595/1234155925_1_administrator_album74_test_album_picture236_aw_yeah_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

jamezr
Sep 25, 2013, 11:20 AM

not so sure about that...i have both the S4 and the LG G2 and the UI doesn't remind of either phone......

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 11:22 AM
A huge misperception people have (and this statement coming from an apple loyalist) is that Apple is this huge innovative company. Although they have innovated on some fronts, it's not near the level people think. Even the iPod you mentioned... Sony had the Walkman before it. What Apple has done in the past, and IMO continues to do well, is take existing technology and bring it to the mass market in a very clean and useable way (and yes, for the most part "it just works"). They are great at this. Not sure you would consider that innovation, but it's what they do, and they are great at it. I might say they are more pioneers than they are innovators.

Agreed.

Innovation comes in all shapes and sizes. People say Samsung doesn't innovate - but their production of chips and screens say otherwise. They are constantly innovating - even if you just consider components. And then there are features from various OSes. Even if some consider them lame or useless - they are still innovative.

Marketing, use of a supply chain, technology, etc - all can be considered innovative.

That being said - some people clearly have unrealistic expectations because phones and other devices right now are pretty iterative. Nothing wrong with that. But some "expect" to have something totally new or unheard of. How possible is that when there's constant news stories about developing tech? Anyone paying attention can see how as tech advances, it will be adopted or attempted in future products.

Flexible screens (just as an example) has been talked about for years. Clearly it will work its way into everyday tech. That doesn't make it less innovative. It just means that by the time we see it - it won't be as "exciting" because - what? - it's not "out of the blue?"

Technarchy
Sep 25, 2013, 11:34 AM
Golden cheap plastic?

Image (http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001776595/1234155925_1_administrator_album74_test_album_picture236_aw_yeah_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg)

While I want a gold 5S, nothing about gold plastic sounds as appealing.

Imagine a shiny gold 5C...actually, please don't.

MRSucks
Sep 25, 2013, 11:44 AM
The next big copy is coming!

Shocking.

Cheap plastics gold, ew lol.

:D

skratch77
Sep 25, 2013, 11:54 AM

Samsung and arm worked TOGETHER making the big little a15 chip and Samsung is one of the few that own a license to use arm arch to there own custom design and Samsung made that 64 bit chip for apple to use.

The chip is using arm v8 instruction set and is owned by arm and is absolutely nothing about apple in it.the a15 in the exynos 5 soc by Samsung is arms reference design and is the last 32 bit design they have before jumping to av8 instruction sets and 64bit.

Samsung uses arm reference designs and there only choice is to go 64 bit v8 next year as they are already using there latest last gen 32 bit arch.

Its stupid people spreading **** about 64 bit that think apple invented it and now Samsung is copying it.

First off Samsung made and designed it and second its arms arch that is free to use to who ever wants to license it

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 12:00 PM
Samsung and arm worked TOGETHER making the big little a15 chip and Samsung is one of the few that own a license to use arm arch to there own custom design and Samsung made that 64 bit chip for apple to use.

The chip is using arm v8 instruction set and is owned by arm and is absolutely nothing about apple in it.the a15 in the exynos 5 soc by Samsung is arms reference design and is the last 32 bit design they have before jumping to av8 instruction sets and 64bit.

Samsung uses arm reference designs and there only choice is to go 64 bit v8 next year as they are already using there latest last gen 32 bit arch.

Its stupid people spreading **** about 64 bit that think apple invented it and now Samsung is copying it.

First off Samsung made and designed it and second its arms arch that is free to use to who ever wants to license it

Further - the advantages of 64bit increase with memory over 4gb, right? That's more likely to be in a Samsung phone or tablet than any Apple one in the near future...

irDigital0l
Sep 25, 2013, 12:01 PM
Congratulations Samsung....you realized that people like gold.

Todd B.
Sep 25, 2013, 12:02 PM
Samesung. Why come out with anything on their own when they can just rev up the photocopiers?

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 12:09 PM
Congratulations Samsung....you realized that people like gold.

Samesung. Why come out with anything on their own when they can just rev up the photocopiers?

Oh no - it looks like that's backwards

Sorry Guys, but Samsung Already Had a Gold Phone First
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/09/sorry-guys-samsung-already-had-gold-phone-first/69842/

technowar
Sep 25, 2013, 12:10 PM
While the gold iPhone 5 is quite hot in terms of demand, I seriously doubt a gold GS4 will get the same adoration.

Hey, it might. Who knows? It's gold after all.

irDigital0l
Sep 25, 2013, 12:11 PM
Oh no - it looks like that's backwards

Sorry Guys, but Samsung Already Had a Gold Phone First
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2013/09/sorry-guys-samsung-already-had-gold-phone-first/69842/

And Apple beat Samsung to the modern smartphone first.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 12:13 PM

Keep moving that goalpost to "win"

Ridiculous.

irDigital0l
Sep 25, 2013, 12:17 PM
Congratulations samcraig, now you realized how I feel about a golden galaxy s4.

Ridiculous.

jamezr
Sep 25, 2013, 12:23 PM
Congratulations samcraig, now you realized how I feel about a golden galaxy s4.

so did Apple patent that too? No one else can use that color?

irDigital0l
Sep 25, 2013, 12:25 PM
so did Apple patent that too? No one else can use that color?

Which one are you getting?

gold/brown or gold/pink or gold/ugly?

AngryCorgi
Sep 25, 2013, 12:28 PM
Wow.

iPhones have "Designed by Apple in California" on the back...might as well put "Designed by Apple in California/Copied (Poorly) by Samsung in Korea" on the back of Samsung products.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 12:29 PM

Why does the fact Samsung have a gold phone upset you so much? Were you going to buy one and don't like the offering?

I'm going go with what's behind door #2 - just shameless Samsung bashing.

----------

Wow.

iPhones have "Designed by Apple in California" on the back...might as well put "Designed by Apple in California/Copied (Poorly) by Samsung in Korea" on the back of Samsung products.

Clearly you haven't read this thread. Or you wouldn't have made the mistake of stating that Apple was the one being copied.

irDigital0l
Sep 25, 2013, 12:30 PM
Why does the fact Samsung have a gold phone upset you so much? Were you going to buy one and don't like the offering?

I'm actually getting both the Gold/Brown and Gold/Pink Galaxy S4.

Already got my flight booked for Dubai, UAE.

apollo1444
Sep 25, 2013, 12:30 PM
looks ghetto as hell... this guys take elegant and turn it into white thrash

jamezr
Sep 25, 2013, 12:40 PM

Oh i think you can only get those color combos on the 5C with a case to protect you plastic iphone.
Oh thats right....plastic is cool now that Apple does plastic.....but when the S4 first came out it was blasted for being plastic..... So did Apple copy Samsung and the plastic S4?

Personally im waiting for the IP6 and a larger screen hopefully a 5 inch screen in the IP6 next year.....

AngryCorgi
Sep 25, 2013, 12:42 PM

----------

Clearly you haven't read this thread. Or you wouldn't have made the mistake of stating that Apple was the one being copied.

Of course I read it and I know Samsung's history (of releases AND blatant intellectual property theft), and while this is not "theft", its timing is pathetic. Right on the heels of Apple ordering more gold phones to meet demand, Samsung yelps out "Me Too!! We are gonna have gold paint on our phones too!!", as though putting lipstick on their pig makes it competitive. It's sad.

jamezr
Sep 25, 2013, 12:48 PM
Of course I read it and I know Samsung's history (of releases AND blatant intellectual property theft), and while this is not "theft", its timing is pathetic. Right on the heels of Apple ordering more gold phones to meet demand, Samsung yelps out "Me Too!! We are gonna have gold paint on our phones too!!", as though putting lipstick on their pig makes it competitive. It's sad.

I agree with you on the "me too" part.
But you know that Samsung makes a TON of what is inside that gold iPhone 5s right? The chip is made by Samsung I think the memory too.....

irDigital0l
Sep 25, 2013, 12:50 PM
Oh i think you can only get those color combos on the 5C with a case to protect you plastic iphone.
Oh thats right....plastic is cool now that Apple does plastic.....but when the S4 first came out it was blasted for being plastic..... So did Apple copy Samsung and the plastic S4?

Personally im waiting for the IP6 and a larger screen hopefully a 5 inch screen in the IP6 next year.....

Actually I'm pretty sure the S3 was plastic and so was the S2 and so was the iPhone 3G and 3GS (which I'll tell you a secret...came out before S3/S2).

Anyways I'm off to the UAE. I need to get my gold S4s so I can smelt them and sell it on the black market back to Samsung.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 12:50 PM

Or they already had it in the works.

And the S4 is a pig? News to me. But it's cool to be biased. Especially here!

identity
Sep 25, 2013, 12:53 PM
But you know that Samsung makes a TON of what is inside that gold iPhone 5s right? The chip is made by Samsung I think the memory too.....

Don't feed these guys. They're here to troll, not reason with.

jamezr
Sep 25, 2013, 12:54 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure the S3 was plastic and so was the S2 and so was the iPhone 3G and 3GS (which I'll tell you a secret...came out before S3/S2).

Anyways I'm off to the UAE. I need to get my gold S4s so I can smelt them and sell it on the black market back to Samsung.
Sweet! Take lots of pictures with your iPhone 5s...be sure to use the fingerprint reader for security when traveling abroad...oh wait...thats been hacked already....nevermind.....

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
Sweet! Take lots of pictures with your iPhone 5s...be sure to use the fingerprint reader for security when traveling abroad...oh wait...thats been hacked already....nevermind.....

Well I hope he's not relying on Apple Maps to get to the airport or around the UAE ;)

Digital Skunk
Sep 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
They could benefit by cloning (copying/replicating) Sir Jonny Ive? :D

OH GOD PLEASE NO! After seeing how that clown "revamped" iOS I'd rather he just stick to screens on sticks and paper thin laptops.

While I want a gold 5S, nothing about gold plastic sounds as appealing.

Imagine a shiny gold 5C...actually, please don't.

The fact that you would prefer gold metal over gold plastic says all that I need to know.

The next big copy is coming!

Shocking.

Cheap plastics gold, ew lol.

:D

Unlike some I have a very good memory, and before the 5c it was just, "Ew plastic is cheap!"

Now, after the 5c, degenerates have to say, "Ew I hate cheap plastic!" just so they can still bash other tech companies while not looking like total buffoons. I am sure you'll be pulling up links to support your notion that the plastic in every other piece of tech is somehow inferior to the plastic used in the iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 5c, Macbook, Macbook Pro, Retina Macbook Pro, MacPro, iMac, MacMini, Magic Mouse ** you hear my voice trail into the distance naming Apple products from as far back as the Lisa **

Please define modern, and please don't just move the goalposts (as you did in the comment anyway) to define an iPhone.

I will totally and unequivocally agree with you if you also agree that Apple's pilfering of WebOS, PalmOS3 and Android 2.5 to feed the "update" that is iOS 7 is also as you describe with Samsung.

dojoman
Sep 25, 2013, 01:16 PM

No one said Apple invented 64-bit.
Show me a single Samsung device with 64-bit chip prior to 5S announcement. It's so obvious that Samsung wants to do whatever Apple does. It's not coincident that Samsung announces 64-bit just after Apple and Gold color phone. Do you not see the trend?

identity
Sep 25, 2013, 01:22 PM
Show me a single Samsung device with 64-bit chip prior to 5S announcement. It's so obvious that Samsung wants to do whatever Apple does. It's not coincident that Samsung announces 64-bit just after Apple and Gold color phone. Do you not see the trend?

Show us an iPhone with different colors, notification center, palm os card switching multitask, flat icons, slow-mo camera before the 5s?

See how easy it is?

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 01:27 PM

Another person who has no concept of a product pipeline and how long it takes to develop a phone.

Further - Samsung created the 64bit chip that's being used. You don't think they already had plans to use it before they sold it to Apple?

Seriously?

jamezr
Sep 25, 2013, 01:27 PM

I agree with you on this.....Apple is the trend setter in the mobile phone space. But they always portray things like they invented it first......

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 01:28 PM

OK, I'm not a chip engineer, but my understanding is that ARM owns the Architecture of the chip, not the chip itself. And if I'm not mistaken (if I am, I apologize) but Apple designed the A7, not Samsung. Samsung is just the manufacturer. The memory chips... possibly Samsung, but not the processor.

And NO, Apple did not invent 64 bit... but give them their due credit when it comes to the chip design.

wxman2003
Sep 25, 2013, 01:31 PM
Hey, if Samsung wants a gold phone, so be it. But at least they should have some tasteful color combination. Pink/gold brown/gold. Yuck. Did someone vomit those colors at Samsung?

identity
Sep 25, 2013, 01:35 PM
OK, I'm not a chip engineer, but my understanding is that ARM owns the Architecture of the chip, not the chip itself. And if I'm not mistaken (if I am, I apologize) but Apple designed the A7, not Samsung. Samsung is just the manufacturer. The memory chips... possibly Samsung, but not the processor.

And NO, Apple did not invent 64 bit... but give them their due credit when it comes to the chip design.

Correct. ARM designs the chips, Apple pays ARM to fork their own version of ARM's chips. Apple designs their ARM based chip based on Samsung's frabication design.

Most people wouldn't have problems with Apple being the first to utilize ARM's 64 bit chips but Apple sheeps will troll that anybody else who uses it in the future is copying Apple. We've already seen this in this thread and multiple other threads and we'll continue to see it in the future.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 01:38 PM
Err, if you're trying to make a point about Apple copying, I don't think their use of colour in their products is the best choice to make:

Image (http://images.csnw.com/lrg/appl_imachuddle.jpg)

Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/iPodNano7.101212.001.jpg)

As for the topic, I really don't care. Samsung's made gold phones before, as have other manufacturers. That they'd choose to do another one now does scream a little 'me too', but Apple hardly owns the colour, or invented it. If gold phones are going to become popular, then why not get in early.

Uhm, that's my point. No one has any real hold on "colors" so if you agree, shouldn't you address the OP.

----------

What?

If anything, the trials exposed how closely Apple keeps an eye on the competition, how much they care about public perception, and how much they care about keeping precisely the image that they work behind closed doors. You are greatly deceived!

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
Another person who has no concept of a product pipeline and how long it takes to develop a phone.

Further - Samsung created the 64bit chip that's being used. You don't think they already had plans to use it before they sold it to Apple?

Seriously?

Samcraig, are you sure Samsung created the A7? What exactly do you mean by "created"? my understanding is that they simply "manufactured" it. It's an apple proprietary chip. I don't believe you'll see the A7 used in a non apple product.

What Apple does apparently use is Samsung's HK+MG process to achieve the 28nm tech (as opposed to using Toshibas HK+MG or TSMC's). Here's an interesting article on the A7:

http://anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/2

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 01:40 PM
Samcraig, are you sure Samsung created the A7? What exactly do you mean by "created"? my understanding is that they simply "manufactured" it. It's an apple proprietary chip. I don't believe you'll see the A7 used in a non apple product.

What Apple does apparently use is Samsung's HK+MG process to achieve the 28nm tech (as opposed to using Toshibas HK+MG or TSMC's). Here's an interesting article on the A7:

http://anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/2
I didn't say they created the A7. I said they created a 64bit chip.

ETA: ahh - I see my incorrect implication in my previous post. My apologies.

kenknotts
Sep 25, 2013, 01:59 PM

"way back in AUGUST". Apple has had the iPhones being made since January. I seriously doubt they saw Samsung's god S4 a month ago and said OMG! Lets make one too! Apple has had these in the works for almost a year, sorry.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 02:05 PM
"way back in AUGUST". Apple has had the iPhones being made since January. I seriously doubt they saw Samsung's god S4 a month ago and said OMG! Lets make one too! Apple has had these in the works for almost a year, sorry.

I think by modern he was going back to the original iPhone. Which still seems dis-genuine to me anyway as per other posts in this thread.

kenknotts
Sep 25, 2013, 02:07 PM
I think by modern he was going back to the original iPhone. Which still seems dis-genuine to me anyway as per other posts in this thread.

Whoops, meant to quote the article regarding the gold S4

LorPGDL
Sep 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
I am happy more brands are offering gold smartphones- that way i can easily detect douchebags :D

gold is the ed hardy of smartphone colours.

AngryCorgi
Sep 25, 2013, 02:28 PM
I will totally and unequivocally agree with you if you also agree that Apple's pilfering of WebOS, PalmOS3 and Android 2.5 to feed the "update" that is iOS 7 is also as you describe with Samsung.

I'm GLAD they stole some elements from the Palm/HP WebOS. Tons of other people have ripped off the card style representation of active apps and its one of the best things the webOS had going for it. I am much happier simply flicking the apps out of the scrolling card view off the page to shut them down. It's a much more logical approach to handling tasks, IMO.

PalmOS3 and Android 2.5, however, I don't see in this setup. If you'd like to explain EXACTLY what they took from those, I'll be happy to respond.

technowar
Sep 25, 2013, 02:29 PM

You missed how Samsung went into making a smart watch, right after the iWatch rumors.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 02:31 PM
You missed how Samsung went into making a smart watch, right after the iWatch rumors.

Because the iWatch would have been the first of its kind?:rolleyes:

jamezr
Sep 25, 2013, 02:46 PM

The iWatch Apple has yet to announce? The smartwatches that Sony was first to market with before the iwatch rumors?

Ann P
Sep 25, 2013, 02:52 PM
Didn't see this one coming. ;) Wonder if it'll be a subtle gold or actual gold color.

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 02:54 PM
Didn't see this one coming. ;) Wonder if it'll be a subtle gold or actual gold color.

I think they will one-up Apple... it'll be an 18K tone as opposed to Apple's 10k gold. ;)

LagLiquidators
Sep 25, 2013, 02:56 PM
So since the gold iPhone is popular, I guess its now "cool" to have a gold phone.

Trius
Sep 25, 2013, 03:03 PM

Are you insinuating that they didn't? Have you just MET Samsung?

Cnasty
Sep 25, 2013, 03:04 PM
Why do I open threads like this

I will never learn!!

adder7712
Sep 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
What is this? The bling bling era of the tech industry?

----------

Golden cheap plastic?

Image (http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001776595/1234155925_1_administrator_album74_test_album_picture236_aw_yeah_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg)

Holy hell, save the memes for Reddit. Also the champagne iPhone 5S is not even gold gold.

Six8
Sep 25, 2013, 03:28 PM
It's a phone for Christ's sake. Get over it ppl

adder7712
Sep 25, 2013, 03:30 PM

I believe the product pipeline is an accurate descriptor for this. I mean, they couldn't possibly develop that thing for 6 months.

Also, is a product pipeline ONLY applicable to Apple? Because I rarely hear "Apple did x because y did so" even though they did.

Now I found an article that Apple is/had developed(-ing) an "iGlass" that is similar in premise to Google Glass since 2006 and the only revealed this after the Explorer Edition came out.
Source. (http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/10/4714680/apple-developed-google-glass-style-wearable-visor-prototype)

identity
Sep 25, 2013, 03:43 PM
I believe the product pipeline is an accurate descriptor for this. I mean, they couldn't possibly develop that thing for 6 months.

Also, is a product pipeline ONLY applicable to Apple? Because I rarely hear "Apple did x because y did so" even though they did.

Now I found an article that Apple is/had developed(-ing) an "iGlass" that is similar in premise to Google Glass since 2006 and the only revealed this after the Explorer Edition came out.
Source. (http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/10/4714680/apple-developed-google-glass-style-wearable-visor-prototype)

Not to mention that Samung released in the summer the Samsung Galaxy GOLDEN so gold is nothing new but to Apple fans.

dojoman
Sep 25, 2013, 03:44 PM

Except Apple made up iWatch rumors to see who will copy first. Sony actually came out with iWatch first.

adder7712
Sep 25, 2013, 03:46 PM
Plus, how does a "gold" colour option scream innovation? It only implies no other company had produced a gold-coloured electronic device.

You can buy an (overly) expensive golden-encrusted iPhone right now and those options are already there prior to the iPhone 5S albeit not affordable for the general public.

applelover1016
Sep 25, 2013, 03:48 PM

It almost sounds as though people who keep saying this thinks samsung is actually designing the processors. Apple designs them samsung is the manufacture thats it lol, Samsung has no say on what is actually in the chip, Apple makes it. I don't know why its a big deal, so what if Samsung makes a gold phone. Everyone copies everyone it's why we have choice. I'd rather apple copy android and we get great features, or windows phone or web os. As long as these OS's keep improving and getting better with each iteration, who cares

carfac
Sep 25, 2013, 03:50 PM
So Whats Worse Than Samsung Copying Gold iPhone?

Maybe thinking that gold and PINK go together well....

Gold and Pink? PUKE!

http://www.iclarified.com/images/news/34165/142365/142365.jpg

Iphone5preorder
Sep 25, 2013, 03:51 PM
In before lock.

But yeah, it's funny how they did that. Plastic gold. Cool

cristovao
Sep 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
We all knew this was going to happen though, right? Maybe not the pink part but still.

I hear the HTC One will eventually go gold too. How about a gold Nokia Lumia?

ucfgrad93
Sep 25, 2013, 03:53 PM
Both of those colors from Samsung are ugly. Don't really like the gold from Apple either.

adder7712
Sep 25, 2013, 04:07 PM
So Whats Worse Than Samsung Copying Gold iPhone?

This thread is like a magnet, attracting some of the worst of MR.

PollyK
Sep 25, 2013, 04:30 PM
Seriously, this is the nuttiness I'm always telling people hurt other Apple fans. This extreme view that, other companies copy while Apple keenly waits to do things right. This same nutty group truly believes Apple invented the smartwatch, and Samsung copied a nonexistent device. Yes, they are that nutty. Despite the FACTS. For whatever reason, they don't see other companies have had a smartwatch out for a few year now. This is why Apple fans get some of the worst reputations for fanboys. It's truly that sad.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 04:47 PM
Are you insinuating that they didn't? Have you just MET Samsung?

Yes. I'm insinuating that given Samsung's past in offering a gold phone that they had a multitude of colors in the pipeline. And I've never "met" samsung. How do you meet a company? :rolleyes:

Dontazemebro
Sep 25, 2013, 04:53 PM
Pink & Gold? There's actually a market for this crap?

appleii.c
Sep 25, 2013, 04:58 PM
Seriously, this is the nuttiness I'm always telling people hurt other Apple fans. This extreme view that, other companies copy while Apple keenly waits to do things right. This same nutty group truly believes Apple invented the smartwatch, and Samsung copied a nonexistent device. Yes, they are that nutty. Despite the FACTS. For whatever reason, they don't see other companies have had a smartwatch out for a few year now. This is why Apple fans get some of the worst reputations for fanboys. It's truly that sad.

To be fair, every camp has their share of nuts. And the camps that you don't belong to will seem like the nuttiest. From the Samsung camp who is so fixated by apple that all their moves, their products, commercials all smell like apple, to the google/android camp who have an inferiority complex and goes on their forums bashing the other camps' because they have that extra megapixel, or that extra half inch of screen size, to the Windows camp with their self entitlement who think that they have seniority since they've dominated the desktop for so many years.

Nuts are everywhere.And the ones who aren't on your side are going to seem nuttier.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 05:00 PM
To be fair, every camp has their share of nuts. And the camps that you don't belong to will seem like the nuttiest. From the Samsung camp who is so fixated by apple that all their moves, their products, commercials all smell like apple, to the google/android camp who have an inferiority complex and goes on their forums bashing the other camps' because they have that extra megapixel, or that extra half inch of screen size, to the Windows camp with their self entitlement who think that they have seniority since they've dominated the desktop for so many years.

Nuts are everywhere.And the ones who aren't on your side are going to seem nuttier.

The fact that there are sides at all are nutty as everyone has a different use case and should use the product that suits them best. This personal "investment" in what others use or prefer is silly. Bashing the competition is silly and 9/10 (a figure I'm making up) both sides showcase their ignorance of what they are bashing more than they show their intelligence.

What's that saying - "Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"

subsonix
Sep 25, 2013, 05:07 PM

http://photos.appleinsider.com/iPodNano7.101212.001.jpg

Col Ronson
Sep 25, 2013, 05:14 PM
There have been gold phones before the iPhone which Apple sheeps don't understand. Samsung has also had gold phones released before so who's copying who?

Funny Apple fanboys say anything when Apple straight up copies features for iOS 7.

Hypocrites.

When was the last samsung gold phone released? 6 years ago?

Its no coincidence a gold S4 is available weeks after the 5S is announced.

----------

Pink & Gold? There's actually a market for this crap?

samsung markets its phones for two user bases:

a] people who want something different looking every 2 years and thus cant be bothered with product loyalty (the ones who'd buy a pink/gold phone)

b] people who care way too much about tech specs i.e. super nerds
(the ones who would care about a samsung galaxy mega uber sized phone)

-------------------------

Is it any coincidence Samsung announced that their next phone would have a 64bit processor as well after the Apple release event?

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 05:17 PM

Its no coincidence a gold S4 is available weeks after the 5S is announced.

----------

samsung markets its phones for two user bases:

a] people who want something different looking every 2 years and thus cant be bothered with product loyalty (the ones who'd buy a pink/gold phone)

b] people who care way too much about tech specs i.e. super nerds
(the ones who would care about a samsung galaxy mega uber sized phone)

-------------------------

Is it any coincidence Samsung announced that their next phone would have a 64bit processor as well after the Apple release event?

You know if you read this entire thread you'd already know that some/all of these have been addressed.

And no - those aren't the only two type of people Samsung caters to. Not by a longshot.

You keep up your conspiracy theories though. I am they keep you very entertained.

P.S. Since when is there a statute of limitation on when another manufacturer released something and whether or not it is considered copying. Seems arbitrary. You want to say 6 years? I'll say 6 days. So see - Samsung didn't copy. :rolleyes:

ceva321
Sep 25, 2013, 05:36 PM
This is great news more choices for us. Kuddos to Samsung :)

F123D
Sep 25, 2013, 06:12 PM
Samsung has made gold colored phones long before apple introduced one so not sure what the excitement is all about.

1member1
Sep 25, 2013, 06:17 PM
It's not that gold color belongs to apple but Samsung was too pathetic to release another color long time after they released the S4 to the market that match the same one as apple.

soon HTC will release their Gold HTC One.

I'm just wondering if Samsung and HTC would go gold this year if Apple wouldn't release a gold iPhone. I dont think so..

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 06:44 PM
I'm just wondering if Samsung and HTC would go gold this year if Apple wouldn't release a gold iPhone. I dont think so..

Serious question:

http://i.imgur.com/zV5q8Xo.jpg

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 06:49 PM
It's not that gold color belongs to apple but Samsung was too pathetic to release another color long time after they released the S4 to the market that match the same one as apple.

And here I wonder if Apple released their Gold iPhone knowing that Samsung was planning on releasing a Gold S4

See how that works?

kdarling
Sep 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
Reminds me of the way that popular automobile colors change.

Remember the pastels of the 50s, the neon colors at the end of the 60s, then the earth tones started showing up in the late 70s through the 80s. After the turn of the century, silvers and blacks were everyone's favorite.

What goes around, comes around.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 06:58 PM
Reminds me of the way that popular automobile colors change.

Remember the pastels of the 50s, the neon colors at the end of the 60s, then the earth tones started showing up in the late 70s through the 80s. After the turn of the century, silvers and blacks were everyone's favorite.

What goes around, comes around.

There also seems to be a lot less lawsuits in the automotive industry despite all the "copying" being done ;)

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 07:45 PM
Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/iPodNano7.101212.001.jpg)

I don't see a single smart phone there.

But perhaps you mean to say no one really has a hold on the origin of colors. Because if so, you ought to address the OP.

tbayrgs
Sep 25, 2013, 07:56 PM
What's most stunning is the fact that this thread has over 140 posts in 12 hours. How many different ways can one side call the others copycats?

<sigh> :(

weespeed
Sep 25, 2013, 07:56 PM
Wonder who came first?

http://elitechoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/samsung-d780-gold-olympics.jpg

Or

http://news.idealo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/nokia-gold-oro-leather-smartphone.jpg

Wonder if Apple will come out with a leather and gold version like the Nokia?

weespeed
Sep 25, 2013, 08:08 PM
Nokia Oro made with real Gold..back in 2011
It’s a premium brand product that incorporates 18-carat gold plating, a sapphire crystal and leather from one of Scotland’s finest Caledonian herds.

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/05/25/video-nokia-oro-officially-introduced-gold-sapphire-leather-in-black-or-white/

The original Ivey schtick done by Nokia for the Oro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QysmgTFGr1U#t=130

Spacial
Sep 25, 2013, 08:15 PM

Samsung is more nimble, faster and more willing to compete. They may not make the high margins at the moment, but just look how they've grown. It's no wonder they were Steve Jobs worst nightmare.

They also believe in choices and have no fear. Willing to make a variety of sizes and types this is just the beginning. With Android 4.x.x being well sorted out they're a very serious threat.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 08:20 PM
Samsung is more nimble, faster and more willing to compete. They may not make the high margins at the moment, but just look how they've grown. It's no wonder they were Steve Jobs worst nightmare.

They also believe in choices and have no fear. Willing to make a variety of sizes and types this is just the beginning. With Android 4.x.x being well sorted out they're a very serious threat.

Some see this as "throwing everything on the wall to see what sticks," but I see it the way you do. Fearlessly testing, experimenting, and trying new (and sometimes exciting) things. What's amazing is that even though not every one of their things are a hit, having the resources to be able to spread themselves so wide for experimentation is good for the consumers, cause when things do hit, we benefit from it (look at the Note series. How many people here -- myself included -- scoffed at the ridiculousness of a 5+ inch phone with the outdated stylus?).

It's really amazing people don't recognize Samsung is GREAT for the industry.

It's not like Apple, in all their care and slow consideration, hits a home run with every single product they bring out either. When it comes down to it, they're just doing less.

1member1
Sep 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
Serious question:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/zV5q8Xo.jpg)
How you know ? :)

And here I wonder if Apple released their Gold iPhone knowing that Samsung was planning on releasing a Gold S4

See how that works?

Keep believing it.. might be real one day

I dont care about the competition between apple and samsung. I just said it's pathetic and low.
LG doing the same thing to Samsung and they are crying about it..

identity
Sep 25, 2013, 08:21 PM

Its no coincidence a gold S4 is available weeks after the 5S is announced.[COLOR="#808080"]

When was the last Samsung phone released in gold? Why shockingly to your Apple sheeps, it was released this August, the Samsung Galaxy Golden http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57599551-251/behold-the-samsung-galaxy-golden-android-flip-phone/.

So the iPhone copied the Galaxy Golden right? :D

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 08:26 PM
How you know ? :)

How do I know what?

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 09:25 PM
Keep believing it.. might be real one day

I dont care about the competition between apple and samsung. I just said it's pathetic and low.
LG doing the same thing to Samsung and they are crying about it..

1. Prove it to me otherwise
2. Clearly you do care.

Vegastouch
Sep 25, 2013, 10:13 PM
Just like the gold iPhone, that gold Samsung is ugly too. I predict those over 55 will buy the gold colors like they do with their cars

Jett0516
Sep 25, 2013, 10:22 PM
Is steve jobs laughing?

O O O
Sep 25, 2013, 10:40 PM
The only thing Samsung can't copy is selling 9 million phones in 3 days.

adder7712
Sep 26, 2013, 12:25 AM

How does adding a colour option constitute as copying? Companies have been doing gold coloured and actual gold phones for years.

stackshady
Sep 26, 2013, 01:33 AM

It was leaked wayyyyy before the keynote. Yes, they copied Apple.

samcraig
Sep 26, 2013, 07:04 AM
It was leaked wayyyyy before the keynote. Yes, they copied Apple.

They've already produced gold phones before. So why isn't it that Apple copied?

So no. They didn't copy Apple. See how that works. I can state my opinion as fact too.

AngryCorgi
Sep 26, 2013, 07:08 AM
I can state my opinion as fact too.

Yeah, I think you've made that point abundantly clear already.

samcraig
Sep 26, 2013, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I think you've made that point abundantly clear already.

I'd love for you to point out a post in this thread where I try to pass of my opinion as fact and not opinion. This should be a treat.

appleii.c
Sep 26, 2013, 08:49 AM
The fact that there are sides at all are nutty as everyone has a different use case and should use the product that suits them best. This personal "investment" in what others use or prefer is silly. Bashing the competition is silly and 9/10 (a figure I'm making up) both sides showcase their ignorance of what they are bashing more than they show their intelligence.

What's that saying - "Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt"

I agree, to some extent choosing sides is a bit nutty, but it's what humans do. Unfortunately some are more passionate than others though. To me the nuttier ones are the people who get so offended by it and start calling names and insulting "Hey you idiot Fanboy, go enjoy your crappy X phone with your inferior specs or copycat features". Personally I just laugh them off, just like I laugh off the people who take sides in sports and talk about their mediocre team making it to the superbowl or NBA Championship and bash MY teams. it's all silly and fun. To me the ones who bother me are the ones who choose sides about religion and start wars or harm innocent people. Or the ones who choose sides based on race or political backgrounds.

I don't mind my coworker walking over to my cube poking fun about Apple's latest "non-innovative" release. It's not that big a deal, really.

APhillyApple
Sep 26, 2013, 08:54 AM
LOL! This thread is still going, and from what I can tell there is a lot of ******** flowing. Anyway, yeah Samsung is the P.Diddy of smartphones, straight jacking!

PollyK
Sep 26, 2013, 09:00 AM

Sorry that's very questionable. Never before has Apple ever been questioned in such a manner. Times have changed.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-actually-only-sold-55-million-iphones-during-opening-weekend-says-gene-munster-2013-9

appleii.c
Sep 26, 2013, 09:10 AM
Look, regarding the whole copying thing, Why is everyone so defensive about samsung copying? Do you really think Apple is the only one that copies? OK, the notification center was copied from android. And guess what, it's very possible that Samsung copied Apple.

It just smells like a "me too" moment. This is why I believe it was: Sure, Gold phones aren't new, the color gold obviously isn't new. But lets pretend you live in a house, you've been there for 5 years. Your neighbor and you are kinda competing to see who has the nicest house. you both have a nice lawn, nice house you each even have a successful lemonade stand set up. Now, you decide you want to install 64bit Grass, and start selling grapefruit juice also ... as soon as you do it, a couple of days later your neighbor announces "Hey, I'm going to install 64bit grass too by next year". Now, all of a sudden your Grapefruit juice is a big hit. So much so that the juice sells out the quickest, and even starts selling for $2000 on eBay. a few days after that, your neighbor announces that HE'S gonna start selling grapefruit juice also. Doesn't have it yet, just announced it (no availability date yet).

That doesn't sound a little like a copycat? Not saying it IS, and he very well MAY have wanted to sell grapefruit juice before, even though his prior attempts didn't go very well... but c'mon. Nothing wrong with copying, it's what you HAVE to do as a business. they are in it to make money and sell products. if the smart watch business takes off, EVERYONE will have to make one. Apple, MS, Motorola... If it fails, most wont. Just don't be naive to think that Apple is the only one that copies.

----------

LOL! This thread is still going, and from what I can tell there is a lot of ******** flowing. Anyway, yeah Samsung is the P.Diddy of smartphones, straight jacking!

Hahaha, Are you new here? The threads here on MR are a walking Windows Phone commercial with all the phone fans constantly arguing back and forth. It's what keeps me coming back! :D

cynics
Sep 26, 2013, 10:17 AM
Surprised people aren't used to this by now. It goes like this.

Apple releases something and Samsung releases something similar. iPhone guys laugh Samsung guys get angry.

Samsung releases something and Apple releases something similar. Samsung guys laugh iPhone guys get angry.

I think the main thing is Samsung just makes things too obvious. They will do something similar ASAP. Whereas the Apple will wait years until it's a "been there done that no one cares". Sometimes they do it so well people think it's the first time it's ever been done. Example would be a fingerprint scanner on a phone (Motorola Atrix). Granted it's better it's also 2 years advancement in tech so it should be better.

Anyway this cycle will continue endlessly. No manufacturer will have a smartphone that is vastly different from anything else on the market.

samcraig
Sep 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
Surprised people aren't used to this by now. It goes like this.

Apple releases something and Samsung releases something similar. iPhone guys laugh Samsung guys get angry.

Samsung releases something and Apple releases something similar. Samsung guys laugh iPhone guys get angry.

I think the main thing is Samsung just makes things too obvious. They will do something similar ASAP. Whereas the Apple will wait years until it's a "been there done that no one cares". Sometimes they do it so well people think it's the first time it's ever been done. Example would be a fingerprint scanner on a phone (Motorola Atrix). Granted it's better it's also 2 years advancement in tech so it should be better.

Anyway this cycle will continue endlessly. No manufacturer will have a smartphone that is vastly different from anything else on the market.

I guess I just laugh (again) at the whole idea of "guys" being so black and white.

I know a lot of people here who choose the right tech for them regardless of platform. However - this seems like a foreign concept to those that must be "team" oriented.

linkgx1
Sep 26, 2013, 10:58 AM
Some people obviously haven't taken a business course.:rolleyes:

So you're not supposed to 'react' to the market? Hmmm? Competitors? Motorola had fingerprint sensors on their phones way before Apple. Where's the hoopla? Microsoft had flat design before Android or Apple. So companies should just 'not copy' and rest on their laurels? Where the *bleep* is RIM right now? Getting rimmed!

You guys make me sick!:mad:

subsonix
Sep 26, 2013, 11:04 AM
I don't see a single smart phone there.

But perhaps you mean to say no one really has a hold on the origin of colors. Because if so, you ought to address the OP.

So what. You can see that it's been Apple's strategy for their iPod line for a long time to differentiate from their flag ship model, it's no surprise that the same theme is used for the iPhone.

linkgx1
Sep 26, 2013, 11:05 AM
Look, regarding the whole copying thing, Why is everyone so defensive about samsung copying? Do you really think Apple is the only one that copies? OK, the notification center was copied from android. And guess what, it's very possible that Samsung copied Apple.

It just smells like a "me too" moment. This is why I believe it was: Sure, Gold phones aren't new, the color gold obviously isn't new. But lets pretend you live in a house, you've been there for 5 years. Your neighbor and you are kinda competing to see who has the nicest house. you both have a nice lawn, nice house you each even have a successful lemonade stand set up. Now, you decide you want to install 64bit Grass, and start selling grapefruit juice also ... as soon as you do it, a couple of days later your neighbor announces "Hey, I'm going to install 64bit grass too by next year". Now, all of a sudden your Grapefruit juice is a big hit. So much so that the juice sells out the quickest, and even starts selling for $2000 on eBay. a few days after that, your neighbor announces that HE'S gonna start selling grapefruit juice also. Doesn't have it yet, just announced it (no availability date yet).

That doesn't sound a little like a copycat? Not saying it IS, and he very well MAY have wanted to sell grapefruit juice before, even though his prior attempts didn't go very well... but c'mon. Nothing wrong with copying, it's what you HAVE to do as a business. they are in it to make money and sell products. if the smart watch business takes off, EVERYONE will have to make one. Apple, MS, Motorola... If it fails, most wont. Just don't be naive to think that Apple is the only one that copies.

Nobody is saying that it's not a copycat move. I think this was either unfortunate timing or blatant copying (reaction) to the gold iPhone.

The problem in your example is that if the neighbors are competing, it didn't get worse with the '64 bit grass'. It was always a 'one up' kind of thing. Both think they are getting something 'new' the other one doesn't have. The 64bit neighbor, copied his garden design from some chap in another state he saw on the internet, tweaked it and called it 'new'.

Both copy each other, because they have to. If not? You start getting whiny consumers that 'want this and want that'. Can you copy and still innovate? Yes!

Saints row was an average GTA knockoff. However, by the time it hit part 3 it became something of it's own all together.

Oohara
Sep 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
Some people obviously haven't taken a business course.:rolleyes:

So you're not supposed to 'react' to the market? Hmmm? Competitors? Motorola had fingerprint sensors on their phones way before Apple. Where's the hoopla? Microsoft had flat design before Android or Apple. So companies should just 'not copy' and rest on their laurels? Where the *bleep* is RIM right now? Getting rimmed!

You guys make me sick!:mad:

I'm seriously tempted to register a second account just so I can +1 this post twice.

appleii.c
Sep 26, 2013, 11:14 AM
Nobody is saying that it's not a copycat move. I think this was either unfortunate timing or blatant copying (reaction) to the gold iPhone.

The problem in your example is that if the neighbors are competing, it didn't get worse with the '64 bit grass'. It was always a 'one up' kind of thing. Both think they are getting something 'new' the other one doesn't have. The 64bit neighbor, copied his garden design from some chap in another state he saw on the internet, tweaked it and called it 'new'.

Both copy each other, because they have to. If not? You start getting whiny consumers that 'want this and want that'. Can you copy and still innovate? Yes!

Saints row was an average GTA knockoff. However, by the time it hit part 3 it became something of it's own all together.

I agree completely. And this is basically what I was trying to say, everyone copies. The difference in your example and mine (copying from a chap another state) is the perception (at least MY perception) is that in this case it "appears" that Apple is copying from anyone who has a good technology, Samsung LOOKS like it just sits and watches to see what Apple does and immediately, on announcement, copies them. Again, just the way it seems to me.

Like if Apple would have announced "We're going to implement a control center" a week after android came out with it, it would look like a "me too" moment. Instead they waited and copied it MUCH later.

But again, I agree with you, everyone copies.

samcraig
Sep 26, 2013, 11:33 AM
Like if Apple would have announced "We're going to implement a control center" a week after android came out with it, it would look like a "me too" moment. Instead they waited and copied it MUCH later.

But again, I agree with you, everyone copies.

Meh - the end result is the same. And people will see what they want to see in regards to timing.

Phones and manufacturing don't magically get altered overnight based on a rumor or keynote. You know this. Apparently some do not.

Tinmania
Sep 26, 2013, 11:40 AM
I guess I just laugh (again) at the whole idea of "guys" being so black and white.

I know a lot of people here who choose the right tech for them regardless of platform. However - this seems like a foreign concept to those that must be "team" oriented.

I am going out on a limb here but I think you may have misspelled "sheep."

You have to be part of the herd 100%. Anything else is the enemy.

Michael

Jibbajabba
Sep 26, 2013, 11:45 AM
Wow what a surprise, a thread like that turns into iFanboi vs S-Fanboy... Shocking ....

----------

If its copying then I am impressed with their know-how in order to come up with the technology / research of a durable gold colour and the equipment to make them work with the Galaxy within weeks of Apple announcing them :)

Southernboyj
Sep 26, 2013, 01:01 PM

Where's your god now?

You don't understand how the world works...

Let me clarify:

http://i.imgur.com/zMhMgpa.png

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2013, 01:24 PM
So what. You can see that it's been Apple's strategy for their iPod line for a long time to differentiate from their flag ship model, it's no surprise that the same theme is used for the iPhone.

And Samsung has done gold phones before, and have introduced other colors too to their line up. What's your point? Shouldn't you address the OP then if we're trying to make the same point?

dec.
Sep 26, 2013, 01:24 PM
now seriously, who EVER would have expected a golden galaxy S4?

All the "samsung will come up with a golden S4 within a week or two after the 5S"-comments in the forums obviously were only meant sarcastic. :)

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2013, 01:26 PM
If its copying then I am impressed with their know-how in order to come up with the technology / research of a durable gold colour and the equipment to make them work with the Galaxy within weeks of Apple announcing them :)

Seriously a good point.

If Samsung really did just decide to make a gold phone after Apple's unveiling of it, and they can get something out like this within a few weeks or a month, that's incredible turn around time. People ought to be in awe then.

skratch77
Sep 26, 2013, 01:26 PM

Lol the galaxy s3 presold 9 million alone and that is just one phone not 2 combined like the 5s and 5c

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9274390/Samsung-S3-9-million-pre-order-new-Galaxy-phone.html

neoelectronaut
Sep 26, 2013, 01:53 PM

----------

How come when Apple copies, these same people making these sorts of threads are so understanding and sympathetic that Apple is merely adopting the trends of technology? Indeed, when this happens, it's a good thing for iOS/iPhone users.

But when Samsung sees that Gold is popular and introduces it (along with other colors, it's not like they just made Gold) they're copying and ripping off Apple. Why isn't Samsung credited as adopting the trends as well?

Will we see this sort of threads from these same people when Apple adopts larger screens, screens potentially as large as 6" as some reports have said Apple is testing? Or will Apple be credited as wisely following the trends of larger screen devices, even as large as phablets?

They should be credited for the latter, but so should everyone else that does the same thing. Apple is copying Samsung as they rightly should, and Samsung is copying Apple, as they rightly should, too.

Everyone copies. Everyone follows tech trends. Each company sets a few trends here and there.

----------

Image (http://prices9.com/mobiles/images/mobiles_pictures/4163_Nokia_Lumia_520.jpg)

Image (http://www.winbeta.org/sites/default/files/1200-nokia_lumia_620_color-combo1.jpg)

I realize this is from way back on page 1 but I wanted to respond to it anyway:

http://www.wired.com/news/images/full/ipodmini_fam_f.10812.jpg

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2013, 01:57 PM
I realize this is from way back on page 1 but I wanted to respond to it anyway:

Image (http://www.wired.com/news/images/full/ipodmini_fam_f.10812.jpg)

None of those are smartphones, but that's almost irrelevant. There's a lot for you to catch up on in the thread.

kasakka
Sep 26, 2013, 02:47 PM
This is the lowest and easiest level of product development. A competitor introduces a feature, match the feature. Samsung's strategy seems to be to throw things out there and see if something sticks rather than take the hard way and figure out what would make their products easier and better to use.

PS. I'm a Galaxy S4 owner and it's a great phone but the only thing impressive about it is how they crammed such a big display in while keeping the size the same as the previous generation.

subsonix
Sep 26, 2013, 02:53 PM
And Samsung has done gold phones before, and have introduced other colors too to their line up. What's your point? Shouldn't you address the OP then if we're trying to make the same point?

They have also made pretty obvious Razor, Blackberry look a likes, and now this Dyson lawsuit. It just seems to me that it's part of their business model, not sheer coincidence, but that's me. No way of proving these things I guess, you either see it or you don't. I recognize a four stripe "Adidas" shoe as someone trying to ride the wave of a more recognized brand for free, others see it as Adidas didn't invent the stripe.

My comment was added because I guess I didn't see the 5c colors as being taken from Nokia, given that it's been a long term strategy for the iPod line and doing the same for the iPhone seems consistent with that.

samcraig
Sep 26, 2013, 03:00 PM
This is the lowest and easiest level of product development. A competitor introduces a feature, match the feature. Samsung's strategy seems to be to throw things out there and see if something sticks rather than take the hard way and figure out what would make their products easier and better to use.

They aren't mutually exclusive. I think Samsung and all companies do a combination of both.

NuggetSauce
Sep 26, 2013, 03:02 PM
At this point, the whole arguing about who originated what features first, whos more innovative, who stole what from who is totally moot. It's really just a pointless pissing contest.

We're talking about consumer devices, not art. The only thing that matters is that we are getting these features, and have a choice.

I bet not even 1% of the users on this forum own stock in Samsung, Apple, or Google.

subsonix
Sep 26, 2013, 03:04 PM
At this point, the whole arguing about who originated what features first, whos more innovative, who stole what from who is totally moot. It's really just a pointless pissing contest.

Really? That's the whole premise of the thread.

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2013, 03:05 PM
Samsung's strategy seems to be to throw things out there and see if something sticks rather than take the hard way and figure out what would make their products easier and better to use.

Do you consider this really bad, though?

Some see this as "throwing everything on the wall to see what sticks," but I see it as fearlessly testing, experimenting, and trying new (and sometimes exciting) things. Don't you think that it's amazing that even though not every one of their things are a hit, they have the resources to be able to spread themselves so wide for experimentation? Isn't that good for the consumers? We don't lose anything. We don't have to buy everything they "sling." But when they do get a hit, we benefit from it. Look at the Note series. How many people here -- myself included -- scoffed at the ridiculousness of a 5+ inch phone with the outdated stylus?

Samsung is actually GREAT for the industry. It needs someone like Samsung that'll dare to push things in multiple directions, even if they're ultimately wrong.

It's not like Apple, in all their care and slow consideration, hits a home run with every single product they bring out either. When it comes down to it, Apple is just doing less.

No?

samcraig
Sep 26, 2013, 03:10 PM

Some see this as "throwing everything on the wall to see what sticks," but I see it as fearlessly testing, experimenting, and trying new (and sometimes exciting) things. Don't you think that it's amazing that even though not every one of their things are a hit, they have the resources to be able to spread themselves so wide for experimentation? Isn't that good for the consumers? We don't lose anything. We don't have to buy everything they "sling." But when they do get a hit, we benefit from it. Look at the Note series. How many people here -- myself included -- scoffed at the ridiculousness of a 5+ inch phone with the outdated stylus?

Samsung is actually GREAT for the industry. It needs someone like Samsung that'll dare to push things in multiple directions, even if they're ultimately wrong.

It's not like Apple, in all their care and slow consideration, hits a home run with every single product they bring out either. When it comes down to it, Apple is just doing less.

No?

I think it's a matter of different business models. Both seem to be working as both companies are proving to be successful. Apple will never be Samsung and vice-versa. That's OK.

jrswizzle
Sep 27, 2013, 01:40 PM

No?

That all depends on how you define "home run". If you define such as being the most popular and best selling smartphone on the planet each year a new one is released (with making money being the primary goal of the company), then I'd say they hit a home run pretty much every time.

If you define "home run" by having the highest customer satisfaction ratings each year, I'd say they hit a home run every time.

If you use preferential bias to decide whether or not the iPhone is the "best smartphone" each year, then they probably don't hit a home run every time.

I agree with your overall post though. Each of these companies has a different business model. And each brings something positive to the overall industry. While I'm not a fan of Samsung's approach as a whole, its because I prefer the more refined, efficient device to the one packed with sometimes half-baked features.

My view is, I'm not purchasing my device to be some tester of new technologies. I want my device to work flawlessly (as flawlessly as possible for a piece of technology anyways - they all have hiccups) and efficiently. If that means not having some new feature because it isn't fully ready, so be it.

This is also my opinion and preference and in no way should it be taken as the end-all-be-all way to do things. There obviously are a lot of people out there who like the Samsung model. Good for them.

daveathall
Sep 27, 2013, 02:24 PM
I did go into an Apple store at the Metro centre in Gateshead yesterday to have a look at the new models, (Especially the gold) the gold is nice but not to my taste. I did like the 5C's though, and although they are plastic, I prefer the way Apple has "done" plastic to the way it is on my Galaxy S4, it didn't feel like plastic but more substantial if I am honest. I did like the vibrant colours of them also.

TBH, I like the look of the 5C better than the 5S, (not to bothered personally about the fingerprint sensor for my use) if next year the 5C has a bigger screen and the innards of the 5S I would be very tempted indeed. :)

kenknotts
Sep 27, 2013, 03:49 PM
Lol the galaxy s3 presold 9 million alone and that is just one phone not 2 combined like the 5s and 5c

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/samsung/9274390/Samsung-S3-9-million-pre-order-new-Galaxy-phone.html

9 million people did not preorder the S3. That was counting every retailer around the world who ordered them along with customers. If the S3 and S4 really did SELL 9 million and 10 million phones to actual customers at launch, they would have blown past Apple for the most valuable company in the world, or at least top 3. They arent even top 20.

skratch77
Sep 27, 2013, 04:04 PM
9 million people did not preorder the S3. That was counting every retailer around the world who ordered them along with customers. If the S3 and S4 really did SELL 9 million and 10 million phones to actual customers at launch, they would have blown past Apple for the most valuable company in the world, or at least top 3. They arent even top 20.

Sorry to upset you but they did sell that many.

That was a preorder and I waited 4 weeks after pre ordering mine.I also pre ordered the note 3 a week ago and the first shipments Verizon gets are for pre ordered phones

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 04:11 PM
That all depends on how you define "home run". If you define such as being the most popular and best selling smartphone on the planet each year a new one is released (with making money being the primary goal of the company), then I'd say they hit a home run pretty much every time.

If you define "home run" by having the highest customer satisfaction ratings each year, I'd say they hit a home run every time.

If you use preferential bias to decide whether or not the iPhone is the "best smartphone" each year, then they probably don't hit a home run every time.

I agree with your overall post though. Each of these companies has a different business model. And each brings something positive to the overall industry. While I'm not a fan of Samsung's approach as a whole, its because I prefer the more refined, efficient device to the one packed with sometimes half-baked features.

My view is, I'm not purchasing my device to be some tester of new technologies. I want my device to work flawlessly (as flawlessly as possible for a piece of technology anyways - they all have hiccups) and efficiently. If that means not having some new feature because it isn't fully ready, so be it.

This is also my opinion and preference and in no way should it be taken as the end-all-be-all way to do things. There obviously are a lot of people out there who like the Samsung model. Good for them.

Mostly agree. There's no denying Apple's successes.

The bottom line is, we generally lose nothing when a company experiments plentifully. Like I said, if they have the resources to do it, why not? We're not forced to buy everything they make. And the few things they get right, we benefit from. And more importantly, the industry benefits as it pushes new boundaries and imaginations of what smartphones can do. Again, I've never seen demo videos the likes of the S4 and especially the Note 3. It's a pleasure to watch, even when I have no intention of getting those devices.

Apple's iPhone doesn't excite me in that way. Not anymore. Their Mac-line is far more exciting to follow.

And, of course, 2014 will be very interesting for the iPhone.

kenknotts
Sep 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
Sorry to upset you but they did sell that many.

That was a preorder and I waited 4 weeks after pre ordering mine.I also pre ordered the note 3 a week ago and the first shipments Verizon gets are for pre ordered phones

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404592,00.asp

"As reported by Reuters, Samsung has received 9 million pre-orders for its third-generation Galaxy S smartphone from more than 100 global carriers."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/17/galaxy-s3-pre-order_n_1526137.html

"SEOUL (Reuters) - Samsung Electronics Co has received some 9 million pre-orders for its third-generation Galaxy S smartphone from more than 100 global carriers, the Korea Economic Daily reported on Friday."

Digital Skunk
Sep 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
I'm GLAD they stole some elements from the Palm/HP WebOS. Tons of other people have ripped off the card style representation of active apps and its one of the best things the webOS had going for it. I am much happier simply flicking the apps out of the scrolling card view off the page to shut them down. It's a much more logical approach to handling tasks, IMO.

Totally agree. WebOS's multitasking was a shot across the bow for both Apple and Google.

PalmOS3 and Android 2.5, however, I don't see in this setup. If you'd like to explain EXACTLY what they took from those, I'll be happy to respond.

A short look at what iOS 7 does is plenty. (http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57604876-285/those-cool-ios-7-features-android-does-that-too/) It doesn't have specifics about Palm OS3, so I'll have to add that AirDrop is cute and far more effective, but almost 8 years prior I was sending files to nearby PDAs over BT, IR, and with certain apps Broadband.

Savor
Sep 27, 2013, 07:39 PM
I read an article about how Samsung employees last year studied the iPhone 5 launch and then create another marketing campaign to bash Apple fans in line for one with that S3. Same way they did it with the S II the year before.

I just find this a bit of a pathetic "ME TOO" approach by Samsung as that golden hyperblaze S4 looks hideous to begin with. They do study Apple carefully and try to mimic them or parody them.

But in fairness, Apple didnt INVENT a gold color phone before so iFanatics shouldnt claim this was "copy" or they were the first at it. But they seem to set the trend because they seem to be the most popular at swaying the most consumers to try out gold.

Personally my fav gold phone was the Motorola RAZR 2 Luxury Edition from 2007.

ReanimationN
Sep 27, 2013, 10:43 PM

'Fearless'? Come on couchy, that's a bit much. :D

MACis122
Sep 28, 2013, 07:00 AM

If samsung sold 1 phone a year the numbers would be just the same but they make 100's of phones a year.

samcraig
Sep 28, 2013, 08:41 AM
If samsung sold 1 phone a year the numbers would be just the same but they make 100's of phones a year.

Hyperbole is hyperbole.

jamezr
Sep 28, 2013, 08:57 AM

100s....really!!! They sell MILLIONS :-)

matttye
Sep 28, 2013, 09:39 AM
I think Samsung just has bad timing.

Every company copies one another, but the iPhone 5s has been out what, about two weeks and already Samsung has announced a gold phone and a 64bit processor.

I can certainly see why people think they're copycats. Apple is just as bad, they're just less blatant about it :p

----------

----------

----------

The 5c uses the same colours as the iPod nano line. Look it up, I'm not kidding :)

onthecouchagain
Sep 29, 2013, 12:34 AM
Folks, for whoever is still worried about this, Samsung actually released the S4 Gold edition before Apple's keynote:

http://i.imgur.com/YQtU3Ko.png

"About a month ago on August 27th, Samsung launched the GALAXY S4 Gold edition in the United Arab Emirates (These were available in stores starting September 8th). It’s since also been released in Kuwait and Qatar," writes author "A."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/28/samsung-crows-about-its-golden-history-of-making-gold-colored-phones

matttye
Sep 29, 2013, 03:26 AM
Folks, for whoever is still worried about this, Samsung actually released the S4 Gold edition before Apple's keynote:

Image (http://i.imgur.com/YQtU3Ko.png)

"About a month ago on August 27th, Samsung launched the GALAXY S4 Gold edition in the United Arab Emirates (These were available in stores starting September 8th). It’s since also been released in Kuwait and Qatar," writes author "A."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/28/samsung-crows-about-its-golden-history-of-making-gold-colored-phones

Apple's golden iPhone has long been rumoured.. and you'd expect a massive tech company like Samsung to have inside knowledge.

I'm not saying they did copy (or didn't), just saying the fact they released it two days before the iPhone announcement doesn't mean diddly squat :p

onthecouchagain
Sep 29, 2013, 09:48 AM
Apple's golden iPhone has long been rumoured.. and you'd expect a massive tech company like Samsung to have inside knowledge.

I'm not saying they did copy (or didn't), just saying the fact they released it two days before the iPhone announcement doesn't mean diddly squat :p

I agree. Just pointing out the facts.

Dave.UK
Sep 29, 2013, 03:28 PM
Except Apple made up iWatch rumors to see who will copy first. Sony actually came out with iWatch first.

Samsung released the first WatchPhone back in 1999 called the SPH-WP10

http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2009/crave/hp/63012393/wp10_520x346.jpg

Samsung also released a WatchPhone in France during 2009, called the S9110

http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2009/crave/hp/63012393/s9110-2_520x346.jpg

The sleek S9110 is a mere 11.98mm thick thanks to the company’s advanced surface mounting technology, making it the slimmest watchphone device in the market. Featuring a 1.76” full touch screen customized for the wrist-watch form factor, the S9110 aims to attract mobile phone users who want a unique fashion item that keeps them connected on the go. The device also enables the users to check their e-mail seamlessly through Outlook.

In 1999, Samsung introduced the world’s first watch phone, the SPH-WP10, which became a landmark product in the mobile industry. The S9110 will be available in France this month for around 450 Euros.

Bet lets not let facts get in the way eh?! :rolleyes:

PollyK
Sep 29, 2013, 06:09 PM

Rumors? Really? So we're now giving credit to companies because of rumors? Company A had an actual product in market, and Company B had been rumored for years to have the same product. Yup gotta mention those rumors when Company A brings out their product. At the same time, let's not even mention that company A, as well as other companies, have had said products on the market before. Nope! We still need to talk about Company B's rumored devices. Quite sad indeed.

----------

Samsung released the first WatchPhone back in 1999 called the SPH-WP10

Image (http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2009/crave/hp/63012393/wp10_520x346.jpg)
I
Samsung also released a WatchPhone in France during 2009, called the S9110

Image (http://cdn.asia.cnet.com/i/r/2009/crave/hp/63012393/s9110-2_520x346.jpg)

Bet lets not let facts get in the way eh?! :rolleyes:

Oh come on, who needs facts when you got rumors and vapor ware.

matttye
Sep 30, 2013, 01:55 AM
Rumors? Really? So we're now giving credit to companies because of rumors? Company A had an actual product in market, and Company B had been rumored for years to have the same product. Yup gotta mention those rumors when Company A brings out their product. At the same time, let's not even mention that company A, as well as other companies, have had said products on the market before. Nope! We still need to talk about Company B's rumored devices. Quite sad indeed.

Are you suggesting the timing is a coincidence then? No gold phones for years then BAM, suddenly there's two.

onthecouchagain
Sep 30, 2013, 07:12 AM
Are you suggesting the timing is a coincidence then? No gold phones for years then BAM, suddenly there's two.

The point is, people are now suddenly mum about Samsung's Gold S4 now that they've learned it actually was released before Apple's keynote, and that they've actually made gold phones before, long before even their industry-insiders could know Apple wanted to make a gold phone (how far back would that knowledge be known anyway? A year or two? And that'd mean their insider has connection to top level executives at APple?).

I don't think the point is about the color(s) anymore. It's about calling a stop to this whole idea that Samsung can only do anything good by copying Apple. Yes, their timing with the Gold S4 is sort of bad, and yes, to some degree, Samsung does copy Apple. But if that's agreed on, then one must also notice that Apple copies others, as well. It goes both ways. In fact, it's a multi-way street.

I know you, as a member here, don't necessarily need to hear all this.

But how many more threads/posts are we going to see about these sorts of things from others? How many more threads will there be about "Samsung couldn't come up with a nice smartwatch because Apple hasn't made theirs yet"?

It's just ignorance.

matttye
Sep 30, 2013, 07:34 AM
The point is, people are now suddenly mum about Samsung's Gold S4 now that they've learned it actually was released before Apple's keynote, and that they've actually made gold phones before, long before even their industry-insiders could know Apple wanted to make a gold phone (how far back would that knowledge be known anyway? A year or two? And that'd mean their insider has connection to top level executives at APple?).

I don't think the point is about the color(s) anymore. It's about calling a stop to this whole idea that Samsung can only do anything good by copying Apple. Yes, their timing with the Gold S4 is sort of bad, and yes, to some degree, Samsung does copy Apple. But if that's agreed on, then one must also notice that Apple copies others, as well. It goes both ways. In fact, it's a multi-way street.

But how many more threads/posts are we going to see about these sorts of things from others? How many more threads will there be about "Samsung couldn't come up with a nice smartwatch because Apple hasn't made theirs yet"?

It's just ignorance.

The problem is that people take it personally when others slate their favourite companies.

There would be less arguments if people said "maybe they did copy. So what?" In response to such claims rather than coming up with questionable evidence to the contrary.

Apple's gold iPhone was known about long before Samsungs gold S4 so it appears, on the face of it, that Samsung has copied Apple due to their extraordinarily bad timing.

Nobody knows whether or not Samsung copied or not, but countering with weak evidence like 'but they had a gold phone 6 years ago' doesn't help matters. It's the fact that they have not released many gold phones, nor have they released one in recent times, and then they go ahead and announce one when everyone is hyped over Apple's gold model, that makes them look shifty.

I personally don't care if they copied or not. Every company copies! I'm just saying I don't see why people can't accept it.

jamezr
Sep 30, 2013, 07:37 AM

It's just ignorance.
Very well said Couch......nicely done......

----------

The problem is that people take it personally when others slate their favourite companies.

There would be less arguments if people said "maybe they did copy. So what?" In response to such claims rather than coming up with questionable evidence to the contrary.

Apple's gold iPhone was known about long before Samsungs gold S4 so it appears, on the face of it, that Samsung has copied Apple due to their extraordinarily bad timing.

Nobody knows whether or not Samsung copied or not, but countering with weak evidence like 'but they had a gold phone 6 years ago' doesn't help matters. It's the fact that they have not released many gold phones, nor have they released one in recent times, and then they go ahead and announce one when everyone is hyped over Apple's gold model, that makes them look shifty.

I personally don't care if they copied or not. Every company copies! I'm just saying I don't see why people can't accept it.
So....if they released a gold phone first several years ago....wouldn't that mean Apple was copying them?

matttye
Sep 30, 2013, 07:39 AM
So....if they released a gold phone first several years ago....wouldn't that mean Apple was copying them?

There hasn't been a gold phone in recent history, has there?

Pretty sure Samsungs gold phone is years old and long forgotten by now :p

NuggetSauce
Sep 30, 2013, 07:54 AM
I cant believe you guys are having long winded debates about cell phone colors. Some of you really take cell phones way too seriously.

onthecouchagain
Sep 30, 2013, 08:07 AM

Agree on all counts. This advice could be said to the op and others like him too.

jamezr
Sep 30, 2013, 08:16 AM
There hasn't been a gold phone in recent history, has there?

Pretty sure Samsungs gold phone is years old and long forgotten by now :p

i was sure you would see it that way.....except of course if it were the other way around..... :)