PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] Common Location ETA

eternlgladiator
Sep 25, 2013, 12:52 PM
So I've heard about and briefly seen the feature in beta's where ios7 learns your common destinations (home, work, etc) and then displays your current eta to those places in the notification center. I can see the setting for this feature and that it logged a couple places once or twice. Has anybody seen this feature working and/or know how I can kick start it?

Tyler23
Sep 25, 2013, 12:57 PM
So I've heard about and briefly seen the feature in beta's where ios7 learns your common destinations (home, work, etc) and then displays your current eta to those places in the notification center. I can see the setting for this feature and that it logged a couple places once or twice. Has anybody seen this feature working and/or know how I can kick start it?

It has worked for me. I've been using iOS 7 since beta 1. It started to work after about 3 weeks - it takes time to learn your driving patterns, ie, that you drive from home to work every weekday morning, and from work to home every evening. Once it's confident in your driving habits, it will start to display the info.

I did a clean restore when the GM came out, so I lost the frequent location info I had. It's been building now for about 1 and a half weeks so I suspect it should start coming back next week at some point.

Just give it a few weeks :D

Small White Car
Sep 25, 2013, 01:06 PM
I know the things that Apple has planned for this data is cool and all, but right now I'm just mesmerized by these maps in the settings. Allowing us access to our own data really amazes me.

Apparently I was at my grandmother's house for 2.5 hours on Sunday. Who knew!

Having the ability to dig through this history of myself is really cool to me.

EDIT: For those who haven't seen it yet, here it is. The more you're in a spot the bigger the circle. I just visited New York for 2 days so none of my circles there are large.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/newyorkloc.png

eternlgladiator
Sep 25, 2013, 02:36 PM
I took a look at my data again today. It listed home as 6 times and work as once. I wonder if there's something I can do trigger it to collect more. I'm at home and work basically every day. You'd think in the week since my update it would have registered a bucket load of information.

matttye
Sep 25, 2013, 02:43 PM
I know the things that Apple has planned for this data is cool and all, but right now I'm just mesmerized by these maps in the settings. Allowing us access to our own data really amazes me.

Apparently I was at my grandmother's house for 2.5 hours on Sunday. Who knew!

Having the ability to dig through this history of myself is really cool to me.

EDIT: For those who haven't seen it yet, here it is. The more you're in a spot the bigger the circle. I just visited New York for 2 days so none of my circles there are large.

Image (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/newyorkloc.png)

Just realised how much data it actually collects.. kinda scary :p

cuencap
Sep 25, 2013, 02:53 PM

I look at it this way: at least they are being more transparent about it. Apple, Google, ATT, Verizon and many others have had the ability to track our phones for many many years. Remember when people found out a) Apple was tracking more location data than most had originally thought and b) people started mapping their data (in a "cool" kind of way versus a complete uproar)?

At first, listing frequent locations caused me to turn this service off (I also thought it was the battery draining culprit on my 4S). Now that I have the 5S, I've left it on to see what comes of the data collection. I *almost* wish I had a longer commute to work just to see the benefits of this feature!

zorinlynx
Sep 25, 2013, 02:55 PM
I turned it off for two reasons: I don't really trust it, and battery life.

I'm going to admit that the second reason is more important to me. If the powers that be really want to know where I am, just having my cel phone *on* is enough for them to find out, so being paranoid about trusting it doesn't entirely make sense.

But why give them MORE data to work with? :)

eternlgladiator
Sep 25, 2013, 03:12 PM
I turned it off for two reasons: I don't really trust it, and battery life.

I'm going to admit that the second reason is more important to me. If the powers that be really want to know where I am, just having my cel phone *on* is enough for them to find out, so being paranoid about trusting it doesn't entirely make sense.

But why give them MORE data to work with? :)

I was under the impression this setting was just asking if you want to use it. They're going to either way and odds are Uncle Sam is taking it too. Since you can't take the battery out of your iPhone (easily) then theoretically you're open to tracking all the time.

Apple Fan 21
Sep 25, 2013, 05:45 PM
So it takes about 3 weeks to start showing you travel times? Is this data stored in the cloud or on the device? I have a 5S on order, but currently using my 4S. donít want to have to "reset" when the 5S gets here.

Squid7085
Sep 25, 2013, 11:43 PM
It looks like it is stored ON the device and does not backup to iCloud, or backup at all for that matter. I got the 5S but restored from backup and my data (since beta 1) was gone. I suppose you can thank the tin foil hat types for that. I'm sure there will be a big news story in a few weeks saying "Apple tracks every move you make!" I don't care, I want all this data, and it's the hacks that blow this stuff out of proportion that ruin it.

Natesac
Sep 26, 2013, 12:22 AM
Are there currently any other benefits from this feature other than calculating travel times? I travel around my city all day for work and I'm thinking this feature could possibly be an unnecessary drain on my battery.

Apple Fan 21
Sep 26, 2013, 01:48 PM
It looks like it is stored ON the device and does not backup to iCloud, or backup at all for that matter. I got the 5S but restored from backup and my data (since beta 1) was gone. I suppose you can thank the tin foil hat types for that. I'm sure there will be a big news story in a few weeks saying "Apple tracks every move you make!" I don't care, I want all this data, and it's the hacks that blow this stuff out of proportion that ruin it.

Sucks. This should be stored on the cloud for when you change devices. Or at least an option to do so