Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Citigroup analyst Richard Gardner claims that Apple is poised to release an Intel-based laptop as early as January. Additionally, Gardner forsees Apple becoming a $20 billion company in 2006.
Apple Computer could introduce its first laptop computers based on Intel chips as early as January, which, together with robust sales of video iPods, should drive earnings higher, Citigroup said Wednesday.
It is not known if Gardner is looking at new information from Apple, or simply responding to recent rumors (1, 2) of Intel-based Apple hardware being ready for debut at MacWorld San Francisco.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Big news media reporting on a Mac rumor? Hmm... It must be true then.

I'll possibly eat crow and say Apple will release an Intel PowerBook, and not the widely speculated iBook. Unconfirmed reports state Apple may or may not consolidate the two laptop lines into a single line. Stay tuned for more updates. :p

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Hopefully with Intel as a supplier, the InPowerBook will be available in January, not a tease as a few other products have been. Remember the G5's coming out in July and not becoming available into September? I like product announcements, but when you make a big fuss, make them available please!

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Macrumors said:
"We are becoming more convinced that Apple will introduce its first Intel-based PowerBook at Macworld San Francisco,"

Liar!

<runs away>

:D

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If the Intel processor is ready ( and Apple have had samples to play with in revised laptops ) , the software ready ( i.e., Apples consumer applications and OSX ) and Rosetta improved to support Altivec - why not? Why delay the Intel roll out?

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
If it's an Intel iBook replacement then it will surely overtake the PowerBook specs and performance, so let's hope its an Intel PowerBook (if it's true of course........)

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
I believe we've heard rumors about everything except PowerMacs for January then, right? Not that I'm expecting one, but there have been so many things rumored that we don't really know what we can expect anymore.

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Eevee said:
Cool...iBooks with intel chips! :cool:
that would be cool, but I am really hoping for a powerbook update. I want to get one but I want to wait for the 1st update after the intel switch! The closer the intel powerbook is to being released, the closer it is til I get one! Nice! An ibook would be nice though too!

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
To me it would make sense if they announced iBooks shipping immediately and Pbooks shipping in a few weeks. The low end Pentium M's will be too much competition for a 1.67 G4.

Unless of course they announce a Powerbook G5....

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
MacrumorsCitigroup analyst Richard Gardner claims that Apple is poised to release an Intel-based laptop as early as January.

As early as?

He's not sticking his neck too far out there. Anytime between January 2006 and the end of time, and his information is absolutely right. ;)

I'm really looking forward to it, though. I don't know if I'll buy the very first Intel Powerbook, since I imagine a speed bump and dual-core will appear in the second generation. It's like the American car makers always introducing a hot new model with the crappy engine, and then ramping up production of the good version after the early adopters have bought the less desirable one. :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Phatpat said:
Unless of course they announce a Powerbook G5....
Steve will call the new Intel laptops PowerBook G5s just to shut everyone up. Watch and see.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Come on 13" Widescreen iBook....

Daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

Give me a 12" or 13" Widescreen iBook for $799 with a Super Drive or hell even a Combo Drive and I will place my order the first day!

That would make a very nice replacement for our 14" 900MHz G3 iBook! She has served us well, but it is time for her to retire to the pasture....

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
It's just as well that I can't currently afford to upgrade my TiBook to one of these (alleged) new PowerBooks. I'll have to wait until they're at least in their second or third revision, and perhaps by that time they will have worked out the kinks and the software vendors will have begun to catch up as well.

I must keep reminding myself of this. ;)

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I've been trying my best to follow all of the intel-related threads but I haven't seen the actual name of the laptops being discussed. Does anyone think they will keep the same names (iBook, Powerbook, and iMac, PowerMac as well I guess) when they switch? Or do you think they will rename them?

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
My half serious prediction. In January Apple will scrap their hit product the Powerbook. They'll come out with three iterations of one laptop line, the iBook. The 3 models:

The iBook. The iBook Nano. And the iBook shuffle.

Available in white and black.

(The iBook shuffle will be a revolutionary step, the first laptop to do away with the screen.)

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Tommyg117 said:
that would be cool, but I am really hoping for a powerbook update. I want to get one but I want to wait for the 1st update after the intel switch! The closer the intel powerbook is to being released, the closer it is til I get one! Nice! An ibook would be nice though too!

Sure, I would hope the powerbook will also have the intel chip. But based on the recent rumors, it seems more likely the iBook will be the first Mac portable to have the intel chip.

Even if Apple released the powerbook equipped with the intel chip, are you sure you want to get it? Might have problems...wait till second generation?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
JonHimself said:
I've been trying my best to follow all of the intel-related threads but I haven't seen the actual name of the laptops being discussed. Does anyone think they will keep the same names (iBook, Powerbook, and iMac, PowerMac as well I guess) when they switch? Or do you think they will rename them?
I've never heard any suggestion that they'd change the names, and it strikes me as a bad idea from a marketing point of view. Not that I know anything about marketing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.