PDA

View Full Version : CNN's Year's Dubious Awards (APPLE on top)

zarathustra
Dec 31, 2002, 01:28 PM
Extra, extra! Read all about it!

The DLAPAPA (Designed Like A Picasso And Priced Accordingly) award goes to Apple Computer for the design of its latest iMac, the one that looks like half a round melon impaled with a bent easel. You have to shell out $1,499 to get one with a CD-RW drive, chugging along on a 700-megahertz processor.

What hogwash...

Link (http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/12/31/sproject.yir02.awards.dubious.ap/index.html)

skunk
Dec 31, 2002, 01:33 PM
I'm definitely with you on this one. It may be a half melon, but it's my kind of half melon. And what is this "chugs"? Bloody cheek! Goes like the clappers :mad: :rolleyes: :p

beez7777
Dec 31, 2002, 01:44 PM
I happen to enjoy my "round melon impaled with a bent easel," and I think that it was worth every penny of the $1,999.00 that I payed for it. And I also think that it is fast enough, "chugging along with a 700-megahertz processor" that is faster than most of my friends PCs I've used. Let them say what they want, I enjoy my computer and I'm sure everyone else who owns the "winner of the ever-so prestigious DLAPAPA Award" enjoys theirs too.

cubist
Dec 31, 2002, 02:00 PM
Microsoft got two of the awards, one for their brutish legal behavior, and one for windows XP... the writers can't get their machine to go to sleep because of an incompatibility with a keyboard driver - and guess whose keyboard it is? :p

funkywhat2
Dec 31, 2002, 03:48 PM
Airheads.

You do have to admit, the iMac is really freakin' expensive. And it is slow. You don't have to go into that Megahertz Myth crap, because that's what it is. The iMac is a snail compared with Wintel machines at the same price. That's not to say that it's any worse, because as the article says, Win XP and it's patch every three days behavior isn't good. And our keyboards work.

Durandal7
Dec 31, 2002, 08:23 PM
Let's also note that he gave the "Anything, So Long As It Sells award" to video game developers for "drenching each adventure in gore, rape and mayhem."

And besides that ,even the low end iMac has a CD-RW. Someone didn't do research.

beez7777
Dec 31, 2002, 08:25 PM
I'm not claiming the iMac is the fastest in the market, because its not. I know it, and you all know it. But it is fast enough for me and what I do, and it's fast enough for the majority of people. yes, its expensive, and yes you can get a faster machine for less money, but i'm more interested in ease of use and enjoyablity rather than raw speed that I do not need. So i'll pay a little more if it will make what i do on my computer easier ad more enjoyable. hence, i bought a mac. besides i'm pretty sure that the way the writer of the article based his decision on how fast the iMac is solely on the fact that its only 700 mHZ. I'm not going to get started with the megahertz myth, because i know thats not what anybody wants to hear, but my 800 mHZ iMac runs a hell of a lot faster than my dad's 1 gHZ Dell laptop.

bousozoku
Dec 31, 2002, 08:53 PM
Is this the Merrick, NY thread? :D

I love the iMac as it is. If it was faster, a lot faster, I would love it all the more. CNN uses Windows, even when it makes sense to do otherwise.

It's funny how many others still say that the iMac is a bargain. Regardless, that much innovation isn't cheap.

Anyone can follow, it's tough to lead.

funkywhat2
Dec 31, 2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by beez7777
I'm not claiming the iMac is the fastest in the market, because its not. I know it, and you all know it. But it is fast enough for me and what I do, and it's fast enough for the majority of people. yes, its expensive, and yes you can get a faster machine for less money, but i'm more interested in ease of use and enjoyablity rather than raw speed that I do not need. So i'll pay a little more if it will make what i do on my computer easier ad more enjoyable. hence, i bought a mac. besides i'm pretty sure that the way the writer of the article based his decision on how fast the iMac is solely on the fact that its only 700 mHZ. I'm not going to get started with the megahertz myth, because i know thats not what anybody wants to hear, but my 800 mHZ iMac runs a hell of a lot faster than my dad's 1 gHZ Dell laptop.

Ummm, no. Your dads Dell boots a lot faster, and web pages load a lot faster. Now, your Compaq, THAT'S a diferent story (if it boots at all).

And just because I can work the RDF well, well, you hated Macs before I switched you.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 1, 2003, 10:11 AM
What I want to know is who came up with the awards - was it CNN or did they get it from somewhere else? They didn't provide a link.

Pretty lame, though, if you ask me. And I think they missed a few....

The HYGTBK (Ha! You've Got To Be Kidding) Award goes to Gateway for this

D :D

kermitX
Jan 1, 2003, 11:03 AM
Who the ******* watches CNN anymore anyway. They suck a**.

macman21
Jan 1, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by crazy_will

Ummm, no. Your dads Dell boots a lot faster, and web pages load a lot faster. Now, your Compaq, THAT'S a diferent story (if it boots at all).

Umm, I suppose you've actually used his dad's Dell and his iMac? Why don't you stop pretending you know everything?

Kid Red
Jan 1, 2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Is this the Merrick, NY thread? :D

I love the iMac as it is. If it was faster, a lot faster, I would love it all the more. CNN uses Windows, even when it makes sense to do otherwise.

It's funny how many others still say that the iMac is a bargain. Regardless, that much innovation isn't cheap.

Anyone can follow, it's tough to lead.

CNN might usew PCs, but HNN's tech reported Renae San Miguel (hope i got that right) recently switched to macs thanks to writer Tom Clancy. HNN had a hole clip on the iPod-coolest mp3 player for christmas not too long ago.

funkywhat2
Jan 1, 2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by macman21

Umm, I suppose you've actually used his dad's Dell and his iMac? Why don't you stop pretending you know everything?

Jackass.

Yes I have. I'm at his house practically every weekend. I've used every computer thats ever been in his house.

beez7777
Jan 1, 2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by crazy_will

Jackass.

Yes I have. I'm at his house practically every weekend. I've used every computer thats ever been in his house.

Ha! pretty funny stuff. But have you used the Apple II i used to have like 10 years ago. i think not. so there. lol. also, i never really hated macs, i was just ignorant, but yes, you do get credit for converting me. :)

funkywhat2
Jan 2, 2003, 09:25 AM
Apple II? You told me it was a Color Classic!

This is getting out of hand. Time for some news.