PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 slow working

j@yri˘hiŁ
Nov 30, 2005, 12:18 PM
Today I imported a iCal file onto my iMac off of my iBook, well while i was working in iCal, my iMac slowed down, so i restarted it and when it starts up everything runs slow if i open something it will take atleast 2 minutes to open up and for it to run properly it would take more down time.

liketom
Nov 30, 2005, 12:23 PM
run activity monitor to see whats hogging all your CPU

j@yri˘hiŁ
Nov 30, 2005, 02:54 PM
negative, it didn't show anything out of the normal...everything was running at a low % and it still ran slow

liketom
Nov 30, 2005, 02:58 PM
negative, it didn't show anything out of the normal...everything was running at a low % and it still ran slow
how old is your iBook maybe your HDD is dying ?

Sun Baked
Nov 30, 2005, 03:00 PM
Update prebindings... then restart.

yenko
Nov 30, 2005, 03:44 PM
Today I imported a iCal file onto my iMac off of my iBook, well while i was working in iCal, my iMac slowed down, so i restarted it and when it starts up everything runs slow if i open something it will take atleast 2 minutes to open up and for it to run properly it would take more down time.

I have a feeling that one of those files is corrupt. If you're running 10.4.3, then go to Disk Utility>Your Disk>Verify Disk. If the disk verifies OK then repair permissions.

j@yri˘hiŁ
Nov 30, 2005, 06:41 PM
how old is your iBook maybe your HDD is dying ?

i'm running an iMac G5

and i tried the Disk Utility and that didn't work either i repaired the disk and the permissions and i quit out of that when it started up i could run maybe one application and then it would freeze up shortly and everytime i would try to do anything it owuld continue to freeze up

Sun Baked
Nov 30, 2005, 06:48 PM
i'm running an iMac G5

and i tried the Disk Utility and that didn't work either i repaired the disk and the permissions and i quit out of that when it started up i could run maybe one application and then it would freeze up shortly and everytime i would try to do anything it owuld continue to freeze upUpdate prebindings ....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93984

This has the method, even though it says for a single app.

j@yri˘hiŁ
Nov 30, 2005, 07:09 PM
Update prebindings ....

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93984

This has the method, even though it says for a single app.

i can't get that far without it freezing up

Sun Baked
Nov 30, 2005, 07:20 PM
i can't get that far without it freezing upYou can't run Disk First Aid in Disk Utilities off the boot drive.

Must be run off the DVD -- since it won't fix drives with open files, and OS X is a lot of open files when running.

Alternatively holding Command-S during boot and following the directions on the screen for 'fsck' is another method of repairing the drive. Type 'reboot' to restart the machine.

Neither of these is a one pass fix, keep running it until there are no errors, or the same ones keep popping up and aren't fixed.

----

Update Permission in Disk Utilities must be run off the HD, since it requires the packages on the HD. Running it off the DVD makes use of the wrong files.