PDA

View Full Version : Things Android still does better?

eclipse01
Sep 25, 2013, 05:40 PM
not trying to start a flame war, just want honest opinions from people that have had or maybe still has both to know what they enjoy more about Android?

from an Apple boards perspective

Stuntman06
Sep 25, 2013, 05:59 PM
I wanted this posted in IOS7 to get Apple owners perspective....
(oh wait, i'm guessing probably because you didn't even read it, you just saw "Android in the subject and decided to move it)

Apple owners who want to read about or comment about non-Apple products will come to this forum.

I used Apple products very little. The one thing that Android does way better than iOS is being able to set a sound file as a ring tone.

mellofello
Sep 25, 2013, 06:02 PM
Most everyone in this section has recent experience with both os. There are a few things that android will do better for the foreseeable future.

Choice of who, what, and where you get your apps From, and what apps you may install.

Customization of your ui. Apple will never let you change anything beyond your background photos.

samcraig
Sep 25, 2013, 06:05 PM
Choosing default applications

Being able to choose where to save files and also mount your phone as a hard drive to drag/drop

SwiftKey Flow

My top 3 I think

Armen
Sep 25, 2013, 06:08 PM
Choosing default applications

Being able to choose where to save files and also mount your phone as a hard drive to drag/drop

SwiftKey Flow

My top 3 I think

all the above minus the swiftkey.:)

Dontazemebro
Sep 25, 2013, 06:08 PM
Sigh............ This is not going to end well. Cue the objective/subjective rants

jamojamo
Sep 25, 2013, 06:13 PM
Attachments to emails are not limited
Sharing to almost any app

To name just a couple

APhillyApple
Sep 25, 2013, 06:15 PM
Sigh............ This is not going to end well. Cue the objective/subjective rants

I agree, there are countless other threads on this same nonsense.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 06:46 PM
Almost everything.

Heh.

TacticalDesire
Sep 25, 2013, 07:25 PM
The phone conforms to me and not the other way around.

I'm a relatively casual phone user and don't demand a lot (social networks, email, the usual suite of apps like banking and weather, phone calls and maybe 5 games that I rarely play) and even then I like how I can set it up exactly how I want it. The toggles I want where I want them, widgets, apps that can actually share things with each other the list goes on and on. It's the little things it does and not necessarily the major things.

Now all that being said I would recommend either platform to anyone depending on their needs.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 07:42 PM

This is actually a brilliant description of Android and iOS. Seriously.

tbayrgs
Sep 25, 2013, 07:46 PM

Yeah, agreed, seen it happen time after time. There is tons of overlap in functionality between the two OS and for every person that prefers that way it's done on Android, there will be another that prefers iOS. A better focus may be on what Android can do that Apple cannot, if it really must be pursued.

FWIW, my thoughts:

- Customization (layout, themes, gestures, widgets)
- Sharing between apps
- Ability to choose default apps
- Multi-window/multi-tasking
- File management/drag and drop

T5BRICK
Sep 25, 2013, 07:50 PM
File system
ability to change default apps
swype style keyboards available
Google play music(at the moment, no Apple app is available)

tbayrgs
Sep 25, 2013, 07:50 PM
Mods:
Why was this moved?
(oh wait, i'm guessing probably because you didn't even read it, you just saw "Android in the subject and decided to move it)

Why would you poll users of an iPhone subforum regarding the functionality of an OS that the vast majority likely have never used? Conversely, while most readers of this subforum are using something other than an iPhone, I'd guess that nearly all of us have used one at one time or another (or still are). This forum is the most ideal spot for your question.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 07:51 PM
- Customization (layout, themes, gestures, widgets)
- Sharing between apps
- Ability to choose default apps
- Multi-window/multi-tasking
- File management/drag and drop

This often gets listed as one bullet point for Android, and indeed it's a great one, but I don't think other people realize how huge this one point is.

It can literally change the way one's phone is used. Say for example, setting a different default keyboard. Going forward, this changes and affects everything that involves typing (which is almost everything): entering new contact information, writing emails, inputting web addresses, sending texts, writing notes, etc. Changing the default browser means every time you go ont he web, it's now that browser's specific strengths and features.

Etc. etc.

It's a huge point. Everyone loves to point out the App Store's exclusive games and apps, or its number of apps over the Play store, but it almost begs the question, what's the point if it can't be set to default? Likewise, that means the Play Store has an insane amount of exclusives too that iOS could never have (like certain keyboards, launchers, etc.)

tbayrgs
Sep 25, 2013, 08:04 PM
This often gets listed as one bullet point for Android, and indeed it's a great one, but I don't think other people realize how huge this one point is.

It can literally change the way one's phone is used. Say for example, setting a different default keyboard. Going forward, this changes and affects everything that involves typing (which is almost everything): entering new contact information, writing emails, inputting web addresses, sending texts, writing notes, etc. Changing the default browser means every time you go ont he web, it's now that browser's specific strengths and features.

Etc. etc.

It's a huge point. Everyone loves to point out the App Store's exclusive games and apps, or its number of apps over the Play store, but it almost begs the question, what's the point if it can't be set to default? Likewise, that means the Play Store has an insane amount of exclusives too that iOS could never have (like certain keyboards, launchers, etc.)

And I'm no developer so I could be way off but this seem like it would be the easiest of my list for Apple to implement. Yes, I know Apple wants us to use their apps but this obstacle doesn't prevent us from using the other apps, just creates a nuisance. Removing this obstacle alone would go a long ways towards improving the overall OS experience and again, really doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to implement. Apps could still function in their little 'sandboxes' if Apple so desires.

Some please correct me if I'm off base on this assumption.

kdarling
Sep 25, 2013, 08:14 PM
What everyone else said, plus being able to set up my homescreens the way I want. I can arrange the icons and widgets anywhere. I'm not into themes, but there are plenty of people who love them.

Just look at http://mycolorscreen.com/ for so many examples.

I can also set up safe homescreens for older people and younger people. There are launchers intended for people with poor eyesight, and there are launchers intended for children. There are beautiful launchers intended just for tablets, which make nice use of the extra screen space... instead of just looking like a bigger phone.

And all of those can even be swapped around any time you want.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 08:16 PM
And I'm no developer so I could be way off but this seem like it would be the easiest of my list for Apple to implement. Yes, I know Apple wants us to use their apps but this obstacle doesn't prevent us from using the other apps, just creates a nuisance. Removing this obstacle alone would go a long ways towards improving the overall OS experience and again, really doesn't seem like it would be very difficult to implement. Apps could still function in their little 'sandboxes' if Apple so desires.

Some please correct me if I'm off base on this assumption.

Easy to do or not, I don't think Apple would ever concede here. It's definitely a shame.

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 08:33 PM
Another great thing? Google's individual apps constantly get updated throughout the year.

We're receiving yet another update to Gmail, Hangouts, and YouTube all rolling out now.

Recently, there were updates to Maps, Android Keyboard, Translate, Wallet, Music, Chrome and Chrome Beta.

And Oohara said another great point about updating apps here:

Originally Posted by Oohara
Not to mention all the 3d party functionality evolving all the time, which basically also could count as OS upgrades as it's all allowed to tie in directly to the core functionality of Android phones. Keyboards, for example.

EDIT: Just read yet another Google app updating:

Google Search Update Rolling Out on Android as Well

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/25/google-search-update-rolling-out-as-well/

Technarchy
Sep 25, 2013, 08:36 PM
In terms of top ten things I will miss when getting the iPhone 5S:

1: Swype
2: Contact on homescreen with all social networks, email, phone numbers and video chat ID's all aggregated in one place
3: Launching apps from lock screen
4. Status bar notification icons
5. Setting default apps
6. Glance and go information
7. Two apps running at the same time (GS4 Feature)
8. Clearing all apps in one easy action
9. Music widget with full controls on home screen
10. Google Play Music All Access

onthecouchagain
Sep 25, 2013, 08:38 PM

2: Contact on homescreen with all social networks, email, phone numbers and video chat ID's all aggregated in one place
5. Setting default apps

Great list. Begs the question, why specifically are you returning?

Your problems with Android seem to me like problems specifically with Samsung and TouchWiz. Why not go Nexus?

aneftp
Sep 25, 2013, 09:14 PM
I use or have used all mobile platforms the past 8-9 years including the first G1 and first iPhone.

The real world reasons (most) people (I am talking general users) favor android over iOS is because of end user control and choice.

1. Choice of screen size
2. Control of file system
3. Control and customization of wall paper, ring tones, skins etc

Saying all this there is about 80% of the general public that doesn't get a rats ass about any of these.

Most people use a smartphone
1. Make a phone call (duh)
2. Text
3. Browse internet
4. Take pictures
4.A few select mobile apps
6. plus/minus on music/mp3 replacement

To each their own. I always have an android and iPhone on me so I get the best of both worlds. Just picked up the 5s. Getting note 3 and nexus 5 next.

Vegastouch
Sep 25, 2013, 10:23 PM
not trying to start a flame war, just want honest opinions from people that have had or maybe still has both to know what they enjoy more about Android?

from an Apple boards perspective

Mods:
Why was this moved?

LOl, its just true.

Dontazemebro
Sep 25, 2013, 10:45 PM
I use or have used all mobile platforms the past 8-9 years including the first G1 and first iPhone.

The real world reasons (most) people (I am talking general users) favor android over iOS is because of end user control and choice.

1. Choice of screen size
2. Control of file system
3. Control and customization of wall paper, ring tones, skins etc

Saying all this there is about 80% of the general public that doesn't get a rats ass about any of these.

Most people use a smartphone
1. Make a phone call (duh)
2. Text
3. Browse internet
4. Take pictures
4.A few select mobile apps
6. plus/minus on music/mp3 replacement

To each their own. I always have an android and iPhone on me so I get the best of both worlds. Just picked up the 5s. Getting note 3 and nexus 5 next.

Sound like a man after my own heart. This I can grok.

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 25, 2013, 10:48 PM
Can someone please post a link to how I can root my iPhone? Thanks.

viskon
Sep 26, 2013, 12:09 AM
A lot of good points in the discussion. The way I see it, Android being open source, encourages participation in its development from all over the world. At a philosophical level, very democratic. And this openness, will continue to be a source of strength for its continued innovation as people continue to participate and contribute ideas.

adder7712
Sep 26, 2013, 12:29 AM
File management
3rd party apps substituting stock/bundled apps
Content sharing to any application and not to predetermined options
Memory expansion (also applicable to certain WP phones)
Support for more media formats (FLAC for example)

----------

Can someone please post a link to how I can root my iPhone? Thanks.

Closest would be a jailbreak. ;)

DollaTwentyFive
Sep 26, 2013, 12:31 AM
Closest would be a jailbreak. ;)

Oh - is that what jailbreak means? Ha Ha. :D

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2013, 12:38 AM

I really don't want this point to get lost. It really is the ultimate one line description of android vs iOS.

PaulOBrain
Sep 26, 2013, 01:53 AM
I really don't want this point to get lost. It really is the ultimate one line description of android vs iOS.

It hasn't gone anywhere? Don't need to repeat yourself over and over :confused:

strausd
Sep 26, 2013, 02:01 AM
Apple owners who want to read about or comment about non-Apple products will come to this forum.

I used Apple products very little. The one thing that Android does way better than iOS is being able to set a sound file as a ring tone.

Funny, on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, moving a .mp3 into "alarms", "notifications", or "ringtones" won't make them appear as sound files when in settings under "Sounds" or in the clock app under alarms. In order to have them show up, I have to use a root file explorer and navigate to a specific root folder that would be inaccessible to the average user.

Not to mention updating my ROM (CyanogenMod for example) will revert this root folder back to normal. So for people who like to run nightlies, like myself, you have to constantly be putting in these audio files into that root folder every day.

On iOS, I could simply export out a song from GarageBand and it would do all the other work automatically.

Impuls3101
Sep 26, 2013, 02:06 AM
this guy did a great 5 part video series on differences. I posted this on another thread but I thought u might enjoy it. It a little old but opened my eyes to the differences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiY1kSTHZw

strausd
Sep 26, 2013, 02:19 AM
One of the biggest problems with Android is that there's little consistency with the overall UI and logic to the organization of menus/settings. The way the menus are organized on Android are totally unintuitive and almost random.

Unless you have a device with onscreen buttons where you always have a back button and you can always (through third party ROM) show a menu button.

tbayrgs
Sep 26, 2013, 05:54 AM
One of the biggest problems with Android is that there's little consistency with the overall UI and logic to the organization of menus/settings. The way the menus are organized on Android are totally unintuitive and almost random.

How so? The menu/settings are usually located in the same place (top right corner) and usually have much of the same submenus. As strausd mentioned, if you have come devices, there's always a menu button available (capacitive or soft key) at the bottom of the device.

If anything replacing Android with iOS in your statement would make it more accurate. In iOS, some apps have their settings within the app itself (and location within the app is inconsistent) while others are within the Settings app. Until you look for them though, there is no way of knowing which of these will apply. In fact, I believe some have parts of their settings in both spots. That's unintuitive.

samcraig
Sep 26, 2013, 07:16 AM

Hmmm. I guess that's a matter of opinion because (for example) I find (at least before iOS7) that the settings options in iOS have always seemed random as to what was put where. Made little sense.

gotluck
Sep 26, 2013, 07:24 AM
Android is better at freedom. IOS is part of the slippery slope that will lead to the censorship/lockdown of the internet in the USA. The whole Apple really owns your device logic infuriates me.

The Game 161
Sep 26, 2013, 07:58 AM
pretty much EVERYTHING..for me.

*old-guy*
Sep 26, 2013, 08:15 AM
This may be the wrong place to ask this question but it was the main reason why I sold my iPad2 and bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Does the new iPad have a mini SD/TF card slot?
The Samsung, having such a slot, is much easier to use.

The Game 161
Sep 26, 2013, 08:16 AM
This may be the wrong place to ask this question but it was the main reason why I sold my iPad2 and bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1. Does the new iPad have a mini SD/TF card slot?
The Samsung, having such a slot, is much easier to use.

nope it doesn't.

eclipse01
Sep 26, 2013, 02:48 PM
Why would you poll users of an iPhone subforum regarding the functionality of an OS that the vast majority likely have never used? Conversely, while most readers of this subforum are using something other than an iPhone, I'd guess that nearly all of us have used one at one time or another (or still are). This forum is the most ideal spot for your question.

Because I wanted people who had used/uses IOS7 currently to compare it to Android, a lot of people in this thread have abandoned IOS and I really feel that IOS7 changed a ton and I just wanted to poll the IOS7 crowd, but the mods didn't see it that way.

but I do appreciate everyone's reply and opinions either way

Stuntman06
Sep 26, 2013, 03:43 PM
Funny, on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, moving a .mp3 into "alarms", "notifications", or "ringtones" won't make them appear as sound files when in settings under "Sounds" or in the clock app under alarms. In order to have them show up, I have to use a root file explorer and navigate to a specific root folder that would be inaccessible to the average user.

Not to mention updating my ROM (CyanogenMod for example) will revert this root folder back to normal. So for people who like to run nightlies, like myself, you have to constantly be putting in these audio files into that root folder every day.

On iOS, I could simply export out a song from GarageBand and it would do all the other work automatically.

On my SGS3, I just dropped the file into the appropriate folder and I can set it as a ring tone. On my HTC Desire Z, I did need use RingDroid to set the file as a ring tone.

In comparison, when my wife switched from an Android phone to an iPhone, I had great difficulty moving her ring tone from her old Android phone to the iPhone. I had the MP3 file on her phone and my PC, but there did not appear to be any obvious way to move it to her iPhone so that she can set it as a ring tone. After hours of searching on the internet, I finally found a way to do it.

The steps seem totally convoluted to me. First I had to change some settings/options on iTunes on her PC. Then with these changes, import the sound file to iTunes. Then I had use a DOS prompt to rename the file extension after the import. After that, I could drop it into iCloud. It would then appear on her phone as an option for setting a ring tone.

I did try to use some apps, but for whatever reason they didn't work for me. I don't remember why. It just shouldn't be so complicated to use a sound file that you have as a ring tone.

That was over a year ago when my wife got her iPhone. Maybe things are simpler now. She hasn't felt the need to change her ring tone, and I didn't feel the need to go through that again.

Tsuchiya
Sep 26, 2013, 04:00 PM
So you mean identical features and not what Android can do that IOS can't right?

If so, Android does notifications much better, less intrusive and more organised.

I would also argue typing, going back to iOS after using an S4 for a couple of weeks I was surprised how much I missed a swipe keyboard. Granted here I'm talking about swift key not the stock android one which is OK but not anything special.

Without taking into account the flexibility of Android which sees it pull ahead, iOS is still much better for basic things like email and even copy and paste. There is no getting around the fact that iOS is a much more polished product.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 26, 2013, 07:02 PM
One huge advantage that has been mentioned already is notifications.

How is this okay?? Now I can't press the cancel or reply button. I have to wait until the notification goes away or slide it away myself. Seems trivial but when a lot of notifications come in it is very annoying. It happens on movies and games too. Wtf?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/27/heje7ata.jpg

But it just really all comes down to choice. Apple tells us what screen size we get, what resolution, how big our battery is, how fast our processor is, what colors our phones are, what material our phones are made of, what apps are our default apps, what our home screens must look like, what keyboard we must use, what apps we can share with, how we manage notifications, Etc, etc. I could go on. Android you are free to choose all of these things and more. You make the phone or tablet what you want. Not what apple wants. It's that simple.

----------

That being said I know all of this and still haven't been able to get away from iPhone. But now android has caught up in a lot of the areas that drove me back to iPhone so I'm so ready to leave.

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 26, 2013, 08:12 PM
What appropriate timing for this video to be posted to YouTube. Great comparison of 4.3 vs iOS 7 from pocket now.

http://youtu.be/8cz82QzEDx0

onthecouchagain
Sep 26, 2013, 11:09 PM
One huge advantage that has been mentioned already is notifications.

How is this okay?? Now I can't press the cancel or reply button. I have to wait until the notification goes away or slide it away myself. Seems trivial but when a lot of notifications come in it is very annoying. It happens on movies and games too. Wtf?

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/27/heje7ata.jpg)

I've said it before, I sincerely do not know how anyone can find iOS' method of notifications acceptable. How is blocking visibility and usability a "polished idea"?

People are so forgiving of Apple. I predict if this was a "feature" of Android while iOS had discrete notification icons in the status bar like Android, many would surely point out how obnoxious this method of notifications is.

flawlessvictory
Sep 27, 2013, 01:03 AM
I've said it before, I sincerely do not know how anyone can find iOS' method of notifications acceptable. How is blocking visibility and usability a "polished idea"?

People are so forgiving of Apple. I predict if this was a "feature" of Android while iOS had discrete notification icons in the status bar like Android, many would surely point out how obnoxious this method of notifications is.

I find Android's implementation way worse. If you don't like iOS why don't u post on one of the Android forums moreso? You seem to bitch and moan way too much, and try to push ur personal opinions on people more than anyone else on this side of the forums.

How about this, you hate iOS so much, stop going back. It's not for you but it's obviously a very good mobile OS.

PaulOBrain
Sep 27, 2013, 05:53 AM

Forgiving? Is it impossible to accept that people have different preferences to you? Good grief. You don't like iOS we get it.

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 07:13 AM
I find Android's implementation way worse. If you don't like iOS why don't u post on one of the Android forums moreso? You seem to bitch and moan way too much, and try to push ur personal opinions on people more than anyone else on this side of the forums.

How about this, you hate iOS so much, stop going back. It's not for you but it's obviously a very good mobile OS.

Do you know what forum you're in? Do you know what thread you're in?

If you dislike reading my posts so much , please block me. You'll be doing us both a favor.

----------

Forgiving? Is it impossible to accept that people have different preferences to you?

Sure -- I don't doubt there are people who either don't mind or even like iOS' way of notifications. I never said such people don't exist nor that people can't and don't have preferences. Show me where I said this.

My point was, there's this idea that Apple's iOS is so polished, that they don't ever release a feature (hard or software-wise) until it's ready or until they "get it right." My question is, how are obstrusive notifications that momentarily block visibility [I]and usability (the latter being more important), that pushes the screen downward (does it still do that? To be fair, I didn't get a notification while I was testing iOS 7)... how is any of this "polish" and "right"? Again, this is the typical Apple narrative, and drop down banner notifications just don't jive with being polished nor right nor, frankly, smart.

Good grief. You don't like iOS we get it.

You're in the "Alternative" section in a thread titled "Things Android Still Does Better." Hello? Good grief. And yet still, you can block people in an open forum. Feel free.

PaulOBrain
Sep 27, 2013, 07:32 AM
Show me where I said this.

"People are so forgiving of Apple"

Like its unacceptable to simply have a preference. YOU say this is unacceptable so everyone else must not like it and has to make allowances for it.

I accept there are many, many Apple apologists around and about but there are just as many on the other side of the fence. Both extremists are ridiculous, and need to get a grip.

If you find you jump on every thread to air your view at how you dislike a platform and reiterate that point many, many times (sound familiar?) then you need to accept that your bias is indeed coloured.

I am well aware I'm on the "Alternatives" section because yes I do own and use an iPhone but I also own a Nexus 7 and have just sold my Nexus 4. So sorry, I didn't realise you had to bash everything iOS and Apple did to qualify to be here. Must have missed that memo Couch.

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 08:04 AM

Like its unacceptable to simply have a preference. YOU say this is unacceptable so everyone else must not like it and has to make allowances for it.

I accept there are many, many Apple apologists around and about but there are just as many on the other side of the fence. Both extremists are ridiculous, and need to get a grip.

If you find you jump on every thread to air your view at how you dislike a platform and reiterate that point many, many times (sound familiar?) then you need to accept that your bias is indeed coloured.

I am well aware I'm on the "Alternatives" section because yes I do own and use an iPhone but I also own a Nexus 7 and have just sold my Nexus 4. So sorry, I didn't realise you had to bash everything iOS and Apple did to qualify to be here. Must have missed that memo Couch.

Check my post history. Never said you had to bash anyone to be here.

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 09:50 AM
Ok, to the person that complained about the notification, you can grab it and pull it up to hide it, not that hard and not a big deal.

jrswizzle
Sep 27, 2013, 10:01 AM
For me, here's my list of things I prefer on my Android versus my iPhone:

-Swipe typing (using Kii)
-Multiple email attachments
-Generally larger screen options (not an Android thing, but a characteristic of most Android devices)

I do like the customization on Android somewhat, but it's no deal breaker for me. I actually try to customize my Android devices to be more uniform - something iOS already is. My icon set is uniform and clean, I don't use many widgets and I tend towards finding ONE app per task (something Android is terrible at).

I actually prefer Apple's notification implementation - which I know won't be popular. I'm not a fan of a bunch of icons in the status bar. I suppose they do their job because it irritates me to the point I get rid of them as quickly as possible. I don't mind throwing a swipe up to get rid of notifications that pop in banner wise on iOS. And of course you can control most of where and when and what app throws these types of notifications at you in iOS. I haven't yet encountered a moment where I'm doing something that requires a tap in the area the notification comes in at the precise time a notification comes in.

Anyhow, just my preferences.

Technarchy
Sep 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
Ok, to the person that complained about the notification, you can grab it and pull it up to hide it, not that hard and not a big deal.

I definitely prefer the iOS notification system with banners, badges, and glance and go information on the lockscreen. The main thing about the android notification system I like is the status bar icons.

jrswizzle
Sep 27, 2013, 10:11 AM

5. Setting default apps

I'm curious to see your answer to Couch's question - as you and I generally are in the same minority (use both iOS and Android, prefer iOS but like Android as well).

As for your list, there are a few things that are interesting to me given my understanding of your views on both:

3. Siri can launch ANY app from the lockscreen - just ask. On Android devices you're limited to the ones you can put there (and you can't have lockscreen apps with certain security options - like mine went away when I chose to add a pattern lock). EDIT: Here I'm talking from a stock TouchWiz perspective....there are likely ways to do the things I mentioned through various apps and whatnot.....

7. How often do you use this? Just curious - while an interesting idea, I just can't see too many instances where splitting even a 5" screen in two makes much sense.

9. Haven't there always been full music controls on iOS? First in the multitasking bar, now in control center.

The others I either agree with or find preferential. I only point out your post because of our general agreement on most things and I find this list interesting given your posts. :D

----------

I definitely prefer the iOS notification system with banners, badges, and glance and go information on the lockscreen. The main thing about the android notification system I like is the status bar icons.

Lock screen notifications are my FAVORITE thing about iOS's system. Really kills any need for a notification light IMO and is infinitely more useful and informative.

samcraig
Sep 27, 2013, 10:20 AM

He never said it was unacceptable. That's your interpretation. He stated an opinion that people are so forgiving of Apple.

That doesn't even have to be a negative thing. Those that use iOS accept that Apple has a way of doing things. Both OSes have pluses and minuses. Users of either platform (or both) have to accept these shortcomings, etc

And again - you're on a subform and a thread specifically about the benefits of Android.

I'm also unsure what you're seeking by attacking the poster in this manner. A recantation? I don't see it happening. ;)

Spacial
Sep 27, 2013, 10:22 AM
Almost everything.

Heh.

The truth cannot be denied. You are spot on. :)

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 10:26 AM
The truth cannot be denied. You are spot on. :)

Ignorance is bliss..

PaulOBrain
Sep 27, 2013, 10:45 AM
And again - you're on a subform and a thread specifically about the benefits of Android.

And again I'm well aware as I included that in the bit you cut out ;)

Leave the reiterating and constant repeating to Couch. He does it so well over and over.

Spacial
Sep 27, 2013, 10:46 AM
Ignorance is bliss..

Your assumptions are misleading, your choice to call me ignorant reveals more about you.

I'm currently using both platforms, my first hand experience & ability to perform side by side comparisons is invaluable. Why both? Because I enjoy each for their respective strengths.

My phones? Galaxy S4 on Android 4.2.x and iPhone 5 on iOS 7.

I don't advocate for either, just share my experiences, opinions and the variety these two provide :D

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
Your assumptions are misleading, your choice to call me ignorant reveals more about you.

I'm currently using both platforms, my first hand experience & ability to perform side by side comparisons is invaluable. Why both? Because I enjoy each for their respective strengths.

My phones? Galaxy S4 on Android 4.2.x and iPhone 5 on iOS 7.

I don't advocate for either, just share my experiences, opinions and the variety these two provide :D

but your agreement to the other post makes it sound like there are no strengths to IOS

btw I also use both platforms daily and they both do have their strengths and weaknesses IMO

Dontazemebro
Sep 27, 2013, 11:18 AM
Ignorance is bliss..

Pretty much

Things I would like to see improved on in Android

1. Better Touch responsiveness
2. Better Indie game content and more diverse content overall (eg. Music instrument apps)
3. More ui cohesiveness across the board although this does look like it's coming together nicely with the card style ui
4 Better 3rd party app tablet support
5 Updates updates updates

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 11:28 AM
Pretty much

Things I would like to see improved on in Android

1. Better Touch responsiveness
2. Better Indie game content and more diverse content overall (eg. Music instrument apps)
3. More ui cohesiveness across the board although this does look like it's coming together nicely with the card style ui
4 Better 3rd party app tablet support
5 Updates updates updates

this is one thing that annoys me the most, seems MANY things are IOS exclusive or have a horrible slimmed down version of the app on the IOS side.

heck the very popular speedtest.net app doesn't even have a full screen version and maxes out at 3mg.
Huge hit games like Plants vs Zombies 2 isn't even on the radar for an Android release.

T5BRICK
Sep 27, 2013, 11:33 AM
Lock screen notifications are my FAVORITE thing about iOS's system. Really kills any need for a notification light IMO and is infinitely more useful and informative.

Lock screen notifications that require the user to interact with the phone don't seem like a very good replacement for a notification light. The notification light can tell you at a glance, with absolutely no user interaction. If it's flashing there is something to see. If not, nothing new.

Technarchy
Sep 27, 2013, 11:59 AM
Lock screen notifications that require the user to interact with the phone don't seem like a very good replacement for a notification light. The notification light can tell you at a glance, with absolutely no user interaction. If it's flashing there is something to see. If not, nothing new.

A notification light tells you what exactly? Nothing in reality.

I get notifications all day from email, hangouts, text, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and tons of other news and apps. It's a given that I have a notification, so that stupid little light has no value to me.

With lockscreen notifications I get glance and go information, with actual information, which is far more valuable to me.

samcraig
Sep 27, 2013, 12:10 PM

I get notifications all day from email, hangouts, text, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and tons of other news and apps. It's a given that I have a notification, so that stupid little light has no value to me.

With lockscreen notifications I get glance and go information, with actual information, which is far more valuable to me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samr.notificationWallpaper&hl=en

And there are a few others that have gotten good reviews...

T5BRICK
Sep 27, 2013, 12:11 PM

It tells you that you have a notification. How is that nothing?

With lockscreen notifications I still have to pick up my phone and interact with it to see if there is even a notification. I hate constantly picking my phone up to check and see if I have a notification.

A notification light wouldn't HURT anything by existing on an iPhone, even if you don't use it. I can turn it off on my phone but it serves a purpose and I find it very useful.

gotluck
Sep 27, 2013, 12:15 PM

To me a notification light is like NFC, why not have it? It doesn't kill battery life or have any negative effects.

Dmaynard83
Sep 27, 2013, 12:17 PM
I think someone posted that android is a jack of all trades, master of none.

gotluck
Sep 27, 2013, 12:18 PM
I think someone posted that android is a jack of all trades, master of none.

what would ios be the master of?

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 12:18 PM
It tells you that you have a notification. How is that nothing?

With lockscreen notifications I still have to pick up my phone and interact with it to see if there is even a notification. I hate constantly picking my phone up to check and see if I have a notification.

A notification light wouldn't HURT anything by existing on an iPhone, even if you don't use it. I can turn it off on my phone but it serves a purpose and I find it very useful.

this has been in IOS for years (Settings, General, accessibility, LED flash for alerts)

Stuntman06
Sep 27, 2013, 12:19 PM
I actually prefer Apple's notification implementation - which I know won't be popular. I'm not a fan of a bunch of icons in the status bar. I suppose they do their job because it irritates me to the point I get rid of them as quickly as possible. I don't mind throwing a swipe up to get rid of notifications that pop in banner wise on iOS. And of course you can control most of where and when and what app throws these types of notifications at you in iOS. I haven't yet encountered a moment where I'm doing something that requires a tap in the area the notification comes in at the precise time a notification comes in.

The icons in the notification bar don't really take up any space other than the space other notifications appear. You can simply ignore them without any action and it shouldn't get in the way of anything unless you are wanting to see how many bars you have or how much battery you have left.

Android also allows you to control which notifications you get as well. I've configured my phone and apps to only send me certain notifications. Depending on the app, you can also indicate whether or not the notification is audible, visual, both or neither.

Depending on the phone you have, different apps can make the notification light appear different. That way, you can tell what type of notification you have.

T5BRICK
Sep 27, 2013, 12:25 PM
this has been in IOS for years (Settings, General, accessibility, LED flash for alerts)

That never worked for me because I never set my phone face down. The notification light is right on the front of my HTC One, just above the screen.

To each their own.

Dmaynard83
Sep 27, 2013, 12:27 PM
what would ios be the master of?

A lag free OS.

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 12:28 PM
That never worked for me because I never set my phone face down. The notification light is right on the front of my HTC One, just above the screen.

To each their own.

But it is there, you were implying they don't have one at all.

jrswizzle
Sep 27, 2013, 12:30 PM

I'm not getting into this again - whenever I do, the conversation always ends with my example scenario and no counter argument.

I see ZERO point in a notification light and in fact, find it a detriment when I'm trying to sleep and this little light is flashing.

Kudos to people who like them. That's great. Just sharing my opinion.

Sodner
Sep 27, 2013, 12:30 PM
Well Apple has a problem with pushing out updates to people that don't want them. (iOS 6 to iOS 7)

I guess you can say Android does that better because basically when you buy your Android phone its OS is probably already outdated and will never be updated.

lolz :D

gotluck
Sep 27, 2013, 12:32 PM
A lag free OS.

you're not buying the right android device

jrswizzle
Sep 27, 2013, 12:32 PM
The icons in the notification bar don't really take up any space other than the space other notifications appear. You can simply ignore them without any action and it shouldn't get in the way of anything unless you are wanting to see how many bars you have or how much battery you have left.

Android also allows you to control which notifications you get as well. I've configured my phone and apps to only send me certain notifications. Depending on the app, you can also indicate whether or not the notification is audible, visual, both or neither.

I never said they "get in the way" or anything. You may not care about ignoring them, but they bother me. I don't like the cluttering of my status bar.

I also never made any statement about what Android can/cannot do. I'm aware you can customize almost anything. I was simply stating I like iOS's implementation better. It suits me.

All the options you stated mean nothing to me - they only serve to complicate what is a relatively simple concept. Again, I'm happy the choice is there. But stating MY personal preferences, I don't see a point and don't like Android's implementation as much as iOS's.

Dmaynard83
Sep 27, 2013, 12:42 PM

I've been through the note 2 and s4. Both lag even with custom ROMs.

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 12:43 PM
Well Apple has a problem with pushing out updates to people that don't want them. (iOS 6 to iOS 7)

I guess you can say Android does that better because basically when you buy your Android phone its OS is probably already outdated and will never be updated.

lolz :D

I lol'd

this is so true, do any devices even have 4.3 Jellybean yet other then Nexus devices, this update has been out well over a month now.

----------

as does my Nexus 7

gotluck
Sep 27, 2013, 12:51 PM

i must be lucky then or you were using the wrong roms.
admittedly I'm on GS4 stock android 4.3 though, not a rom

Dmaynard83
Sep 27, 2013, 01:01 PM
i must be lucky then or you were using the wrong roms.
admittedly I'm on stock android 4.3 though, not a rom

You might be so used to it you don't notice it.

gotluck
Sep 27, 2013, 01:03 PM

must be, of course I am the problem.

You've also never seen a GS4 GE in person :D

jrswizzle
Sep 27, 2013, 01:06 PM

I'm an iOS guy and I can say my GS4 doesn't lag hardly at all. And I'm not running anything special - just stock TouchWiz on 4.2.2 with NovaPrime as my launcher.

The whole "Android lags" thing is overblown....don't feed them.

Dmaynard83
Sep 27, 2013, 01:08 PM

There is countless threads on stutter on galaxy devices. Probably mainly due to touch wiz.

gotluck
Sep 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
I'm an iOS guy and I can say my GS4 doesn't lag hardly at all. And I'm not running anything special - just stock TouchWiz on 4.2.2 with NovaPrime as my launcher.

The whole "Android lags" thing is overblown....don't feed them.

indeed, I was asking for it.

----------

There is countless threads on stutter on galaxy devices. Probably mainly due to touch wiz.

yea considering GS4 GE is stock android and doesnt have touchwiz..
you have no idea what you are talking about and have defenitely never seen the device
cya

THE JUICEMAN
Sep 27, 2013, 01:10 PM

I know, I stated that in the post. But it's still very intrusive. Especially if you get a lot of notifications. Watching a YouTube video and they keep popping up over the screen. That's crazy to me.

Dmaynard83
Sep 27, 2013, 01:27 PM
indeed, I was asking for it.

----------

yea considering GS4 GE is stock android and doesnt have touchwiz..
you have no idea what you are talking about and have defenitely never seen the device
cya

You are wrong. And arrogant for assuming I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've been a chronic flasher since the release of the s4. The s4 still has TW framework on the ge s4. That is how you are able to use TW camera on the ge s4. Ask any developer of the ge s4 ROMs and they will tell you the same thing.

The nexus might offer a more smooth experience, but put up against iOS I think it's no comparison.

There are many things you can do on android devices but not a lot of it (in my experience) translates to real life application.

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 01:32 PM
A lag free OS.

Haha.

gotluck
Sep 27, 2013, 01:36 PM
You are wrong. And arrogant for assuming I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've been a chronic flasher since the release of the s4. The s4 still has TW framework on the ge s4 and it will not work without mods. That is how you are able to use TW camera on the ge s4. Ask any developer of the ge s4 ROMs and they will tell you the same thing.

The nexus might offer a more smooth experience, but put up against iOS I think it's no comparison.

There are many things you can do on android devices but not a lot of it (in my experience) translates to real life application.

You still aren't getting it. The s4 Google play edition is a different device. A flashed traditional s4 with a Ge ROM is not the same thing. There is no tw camera on my Google play edition s4 and it is not possible without mods. It is completely stock android with a few extra device drivers for extra hardware that does not exist on nexus devices. And no touchwiz is not a device driver. This is why a full conversion is not possible as it is with the htc one.

If the Ge had touchwiz integrated why is xda working on porting touchwiz to the i9505g? The system partition is far too small for the full tw install.

If you are alluding to the fact thar the s4 cover works with the Ge s4 yes that one element of touchwiz carries over.

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 02:07 PM

Nor is iOS lag free.

I have not experienced lag whatsoever on my HTC One. At all. And since the 4.3 update, it's actually snappier than ever.

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 02:11 PM
Nor is iOS lag free.

I have not experienced lag whatsoever on my HTC One. At all. And since the 4.3 update, it's actually snappier than ever.

bet you will on a 2+ year old android device, my 2 year old 4s has virtually no lag anywhere

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 02:14 PM
bet you will on a 2+ year old android device

That's a fair bet, considering Android lag wasn't a problem solved until relatively recently.

my 2 year old 4s has virtually no lag anywhere

Lucky you. I've seen iPhone 4 and 4S and --gasp-- 5's all lag to varying degrees, especially the 4/4S's.

tbayrgs
Sep 27, 2013, 02:15 PM
A lag free OS.

You should try using my iPad mini with iOS 7-worst instances of lag I've ever experienced with an Apple device.

Dmaynard83
Sep 27, 2013, 02:15 PM
You still aren't getting it. The s4 Google play edition is a different device. A flashed traditional s4 with a Ge ROM is not the same thing. There is no tw camera on my Google play edition s4 and it is not possible without mods. It is completely stock android with a few extra device drivers for extra hardware that does not exist on nexus devices. And no touchwiz is not a device driver. This is why a full conversion is not possible as it is with the htc one.

If the Ge had touchwiz integrated why is xda working on porting touchwiz to the i9505g? The system partition is far too small for the full tw install.

If you are alluding to the fact thar the s4 cover works with the Ge s4 yes that one element of touchwiz carries over.

Hardware is the same. The TW camera is portable to the ge ROMs because there is still TW framework.

Also a s4 can be converted to ge s4 from a rom AND receive OTA updates.

Dontazemebro
Sep 27, 2013, 02:23 PM

This was me until I finally got my first ios device. Android has come a looooong long way and it's almost on par with its but it's still a tad choppy on that side of town.

appledes7
Sep 27, 2013, 03:01 PM
Nor is iOS lag free.

You never experienced lag on your HTC One but after an update it is snappier? Doesn't that mean it had to be less snappy before the update, meaning there were at least some slow downs/lags?

I'm on a Nexus 4 and even my iPhone 4S, which I sold, had less lag than my Nexus 4 does.

gotluck
Sep 27, 2013, 03:02 PM
Hardware is the same. The TW camera is portable to the ge ROMs because there is still TW framework.

Also a s4 can be converted to ge s4 from a rom AND receive OTA updates.

no it cannot be fully converted and receive ota updates the PIT files and partitions are different and the issue has not been solved.
i would love to see the source of the rom with these capabilities.
OTA updates on originally TW devices with GE roms fail

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 03:56 PM
You never experienced lag on your HTC One but after an update it is snappier? Doesn't that mean it had to be less snappy before the update, meaning there were at least some slow downs/lags?

I'm on a Nexus 4 and even my iPhone 4S, which I sold, had less lag than my Nexus 4 does.

Do you know what lag means? Things can be faster without meaning they were slow before.

Isn't iOS getting faster and faster with each update? Does that mean it inherently had lag before? (Which is different from saying iOS doesn't lag).

T5BRICK
Sep 27, 2013, 04:00 PM
But it is there, you were implying they don't have one at all.

I'm saying that the notification light isn't useful because of the placement and the way it functions. When I had this enabled on my iPhone 4s, it would blink a single time when the notification was received, and that was it. On my HTC One, it blinks continuously until I turn the screen on.

Then, I'll get into the fact that different colors can indicate different types of notifications. The iPhone can't do that with the white LED, maybe it'll be an option on the 5s.

----------

I'm not getting into this again - whenever I do, the conversation always ends with my example scenario and no counter argument.

I see ZERO point in a notification light and in fact, find it a detriment when I'm trying to sleep and this little light is flashing.

Kudos to people who like them. That's great. Just sharing my opinion.

I have the option to set a "Quiet time" on my device, and a separate check-box that disables the LED notification light during that quiet time. My phone doesn't blink or make a peep between 10pm and 6am.

OR!

I have the choice to disable the notification light and simply not use it at all.

I'm just saying that the option for a useful, thoughtfully placed notification light is one of the things I think Android does better.

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 04:13 PM
I'm saying that the notification light isn't useful because of the placement and the way it functions. When I had this enabled on my iPhone 4s, it would blink a single time when the notification was received, and that was it. On my HTC One, it blinks continuously until I turn the screen on.

Then, I'll get into the fact that different colors can indicate different types of notifications. The iPhone can't do that with the white LED, maybe it'll be an option on the 5s.[COLOR="#808080"]

fair enough, yes I know what you are talking about, I had an old HTC touch diamond phone that the ring around the home button would illuminate very light (not blinding you like the IOS flash LED) and I do and did really miss that.

verpeiler
Sep 27, 2013, 04:15 PM
....and I really feel that IOS7 changed a ton and I just wanted to poll the IOS7 crowd, but the mods didn't see it that way

Changed a ton? iOS 7 is 95% just a new "skin". Some things like Control Center are new (for ios users), but most changes were just cosmetic. Or what big changes do you mean?

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 04:23 PM
Changed a ton? iOS 7 is 95% just a new "skin". Some things like Control Center are new (for ios users), but most changes were just cosmetic. Or what big changes do you mean?

i'm not going to go through the whole change log for you.

also remember, sbsettings was out way before Android came out with their control center in Jelly bean not too long ago.

verpeiler
Sep 27, 2013, 04:30 PM

also remember, sbsettings was out way before Android came out with their control center in Jelly bean not too long ago.

I use iOS7 every day, so you don't have to go through any changelog... but apart from the cosmetics, what has really changed in iOS7 in your daily routine? Tell me.

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 04:34 PM
I use iOS7 every day, so you don't have to go through any changelog... but apart from the cosmetics, what has really changed in iOS7 in your daily routine? Tell me.

a few key ones for me (besides control center)

IOS music (which blows all other music streaming out of the water)
Safari updates
Pano camera
Search doesn't annoy me anymore when going all the way to the left (still wish I could just disable it)

if I had a 5s the fingerprint scanner would be a pretty big one that I would enjoy

Stuntman06
Sep 27, 2013, 04:48 PM
I never said they "get in the way" or anything. You may not care about ignoring them, but they bother me. I don't like the cluttering of my status bar.

Fair enough. I can understand that.

I also never made any statement about what Android can/cannot do. I'm aware you can customize almost anything. I was simply stating I like iOS's implementation better. It suits me.

All the options you stated mean nothing to me - they only serve to complicate what is a relatively simple concept. Again, I'm happy the choice is there. But stating MY personal preferences, I don't see a point and don't like Android's implementation as much as iOS's.

You did mention that you can control notifications in iOS. That is why I said you can do the same in Android. Perhaps I misunderstood you when you said,

And of course you can control most of where and when and what app throws these types of notifications at you in iOS.

appledes7
Sep 27, 2013, 04:49 PM
Do you know what lag means? Things can be faster without meaning they were slow before.

Isn't iOS getting faster and faster with each update? Does that mean it inherently had lag before? (Which is different from saying iOS doesn't lag).

Dude, chill.

You said things got snappier after an update. That means it had to be slower before the update. Simple logic.

Both OSes are getting faster. Both still experience lag. No mobile operating system is perfect despite your devotion to Android.

If there is a noticeable difference in speed between updates, then that means there must have been lag before the update. It could just be minor lag and slightly slower frame rates. Lag doesn't have to mean freezes and extremely noticeable stutters. Lag can be subtle and minor.

F123D
Sep 27, 2013, 05:03 PM

I wouldn't give iOS an ounce of credit for any of the work the developers have done for the jail breaking community.

verpeiler
Sep 27, 2013, 05:13 PM
a few key ones for me (besides control center)

IOS music (which blows all other music streaming out of the water)
Safari updates
Pano camera
Search doesn't annoy me anymore when going all the way to the left (still wish I could just disable it)

if I had a 5s the fingerprint scanner would be a pretty big one that I would enjoy

What do these things have to do with iOS 7, besides the safari update (I prefer chrome anyway). And this are really your "killer features"?

eclipse01
Sep 27, 2013, 05:21 PM
What do these things have to do with iOS 7, besides the safari update (I prefer chrome anyway). And this are really your "killer features"?

you asked for my personal favorites

what did Jellybean add for "killer features"?

----------

I wouldn't give iOS an ounce of credit for any of the work the developers have done for the jail breaking community.

i'm not, i'm giving the community credit for coming up with it on IOS platform first (only to end up on Android later on)

Spacial
Sep 27, 2013, 05:38 PM
Nor is iOS lag free.

My Galaxy S4 is completely lag free as well. Beginning with Android ver 4.2.2, most top of the line phones have no lag. And for that matter neither does my Nexus 7 on Android 4.3.

Android has matured very nicely, the experiences of the past are just that. In the past and over. Those who use those old excuses to bash Android are revealing the truth about themselves... they are not up to date.

NO smartphone or OS is perfect, but presently Android is very smooth and fast. Same for the latest blah blah blah about screen response. There are times when I find my iPad mini, or iPad 4 either slow to respond, or not responding at all... requiring a restart.

There's nothing wrong with that... it happens, it's a computer and nothing in our hi-tech world today is perfect. On a day to day basis I find both iOS and Android great platforms to use, they're simply different.... just as it should be.

verpeiler
Sep 27, 2013, 06:22 PM
My Galaxy S4 is completely lag free as well. Beginning with Android ver 4.2.2, most top of the line phones have no lag. And for that matter neither does my Nexus 7 on Android 4.3.

Only the stock version is okay. GS4 with touchwiz lags a lot, and that's pathetic for a flagship phone. You shouldn't need to buy a stock version or root a phone to run it lagfree.

Vegastouch
Sep 27, 2013, 06:56 PM
Only the stock version is okay. GS4 with touchwiz lags a lot, and that's pathetic for a flagship phone. You shouldn't need to buy a stock version or root a phone to run it lagfree.

I guess it all depends on ones idea of lag. I still have a GS3. Never felt a need to root or install a ROM like I did my previous Android. And I've received four updates since I've had it. Touchwiz isn't great for a homescreen or launcher so I use Apex and Nova. Simple solution.

Greg.
Sep 27, 2013, 07:16 PM
Opening images successfully.

http://i.imgur.com/PSMheAK.jpg

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 07:27 PM
No mobile operating system is perfect despite your devotion to Android.

Not sure what this means, but it seems to imply that I think Android is perfect.

I have never ever said such things, and in fact, often say quite the contrary.

----------

Opening images successfully.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/PSMheAK.jpg)

"It just works."

Savor
Sep 27, 2013, 08:06 PM
ES File Explorer (file manager) and App Backup and Restore apps alone is why I may never go back to a closed platform like iOS or WP.

There are advantages to a closed vs open one. There is always a tradeoff. Always a compromise. But I still prefer openness.

Android is a tinkerer's OS. And a thinker's OS. I learn new things all the time. The challenges of it is so worth it for me once I get the results I want. Sometimes its imperfections is what's keeps interested in it because there is always a work-around. Android true HEART has MORE DEPTH. It is a mixture of the journey, freedom, and the actual result and knowledge I get from it. It is like my current wife. She isnt perfect but I love her.

When I had a Nexus One as a primary, it had a small INTERNAL memory. It wasnt rooted so I had to be "creative" and minimalistic on the apps I wanted to use. My back was against the wall but that is where most of the creativity can be born into. With struggle. That phone made me HATE Android at first and then eventually I LOVED it. It took me almost a full year to "get it" with Android. I realized "less was more." Ironically it took a more complicated OS like Android for me to actually simplify my homescreen and apps that I really needed to use while with iOS I had a bunch of apps I hardly used with the same static row of icons.

For others, maybe they dont what to tinker. Maybe they dont want think more for themselves. They dont have time for it. They like the polish and the smoothness or whatever. They love being into that ecosystem. They love the apps or games more on it. Maybe they like contentment with complacency. Like having a relationship. Perfect but eventually boring too. I get that too. Get an OS that makes you happy.

Spacial
Sep 27, 2013, 10:19 PM

Your denial is impressive, life just passes by so smoothly :)

appledes7
Sep 27, 2013, 10:30 PM
Not sure what this means, but it seems to imply that I think Android is perfect.

I have never ever said such things, and in fact, often say quite the contrary.

----------

"It just works."

You sure do a lot of Apple bashing and Google praising around here. But at least you make your bias very obvious, even though it seems like you try to hide it ;-)

This quote above only proves your desire to Apple-bash :-P

----------

It still won't be lag free. No phone is lag free.

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 10:56 PM
You sure do a lot of Apple bashing and Google praising around here. But at least you make your bias very obvious, even though it seems like you try to hide it ;-)

This quote above only proves your desire to Apple-bash :-P

I openly criticize both iOS and Android. There happens to be a lot more to criticize iOS and the iPhone about.

appledes7
Sep 28, 2013, 02:53 AM
I openly criticize both iOS and Android. There happens to be a lot more to criticize iOS and the iPhone about.

Hahahaha here you go again. Even when you try and tell me you don't criticize Apple as much, here you are doing it! You're a funny guy. You're even funnier when people say something remotely positive about Apple. You can't help but jump all over them. Especially jswizzle or whatever his name is. But really you do it to everyone. Same thing when someone says something remotely negative about Google, there you are :-)

Savor
Sep 28, 2013, 04:31 AM
I say between iOS vs Android, I find iOS to be CLEARLY better at music and has gaming.

Design/Build Quality - Depends
Screen - Depends
Browser - Depends
Camera - Depends
Music - iOS
Games - iOS
Call Quality - Depends
Battery Life - Depends

The rest of the categories depends on the specific Android phone it is being compared to. I say camera, 5s gives Android phones a slight edge now but not a clear advantage.

Apps is generally close to me as while Apple have more fun apps and polish, Android has many useful system/settings apps. Ecosystem is a preferred thing like closed vs open.

Generally, Android flagships have bigger screens, so while it loses some comfort and portability, it gains in a much better viewing experience for content.

daveathall
Sep 28, 2013, 05:05 AM
Only the stock version is okay. GS4 with touchwiz lags a lot

I have a standard (Touchwiz) version. You are wrong.

The Game 161
Sep 28, 2013, 05:17 AM
Zero lag with note 3..but with Snapdragon 800 it shouldn't.

adnbek
Sep 28, 2013, 08:37 AM
The only annoying thing I find in Android, including the high-end devices, is touch input lag. In iOS, there's almost a 1 to 1 response time when it comes to touch. If you scroll or make gestures such as pinch to zoom, it responds precisely with the finger movement.

I've never seen an Android phone with perfect touch response. Always a slight delay between the beginning of the physical action and when it is reflected on the screen.

While it may not seem much, it is noticeable once you're mentally conditioned to instant response time.

samcraig
Sep 28, 2013, 08:40 AM
My skyrocket did lag sometimes with ICS and then JB.

My S4 has no lag at all. Smooth as silk.

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 10:07 AM
Hahahaha here you go again. Even when you try and tell me you don't criticize Apple as much, here you are doing it! You're a funny guy. You're even funnier when people say something remotely positive about Apple. You can't help but jump all over them. Especially jswizzle or whatever his name is. But really you do it to everyone. Same thing when someone says something remotely negative about Google, there you are :-)

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time dealing with it in an open forum about smartphones at large and specifically in a thread titled "Things Android Still Does Better." Yeah, it's insane I'm talking about iOS/Android in such ways. What am I thinking?

As I've said before, if the tables were turned, if it was iOS pushing the majority of new ideas and new features, if it was the iPhone pushing more choices between screen sizes, pushing higher PPI, pushing wireless charging, etc., I'd happily say iPhone/iOS was better. If it was Android that was playing catch up with the majority of features, or if it was the the Android OEMs that insisted on one or two sizes, that insisted to stay with physical home buttons, I'd be criticizing them more.

I praised the iPhone/iOS a number of years back when Android was still in its hay days.

Again, sorry you're having such a hard time dealing with it. You can block me. You'd be doing us both a favor.

EDIT: I think I said it best here:

No other company would get away with pulling the same things that Apple pulls.

Imagine for a moment if it was Samsung (or HTC, Motorola, whoever) that all decided to stay with a 3.5" phone for four or five (or whatever the number is) years. And imagine if it was Apple that offered 3.5", 4", 4.3", 4.5", 4.7" and even 5" phones as the years went by? Puh-leaze. The arguments would be completely flip-flopped and every Apple fan would destroy and ridicule Android OEMs to no end for sticking it out with 3.5" phones. And this is just using one example. Imagine if Android OEMs stuck with one hardware button, while Apple moved onto capacitive and/or on screen buttons. Imagine what would be said about that. Imagine if Apple offered SD expansions and Android OEMs refused to? Or notification lights while Android OEMs refused to?

And so on and so forth...

Technarchy
Sep 28, 2013, 11:05 AM
Tell you one thing my S4 does not do well, and it's one of those simple things that rates high on the irritating scale...

Scrolling and zooming when surfing the internet with chrome. It absolutely blows. It's a very chunky and jerky experience compared to browsing on iOS with safari.

The stock GS4 browser is blah but performs well. Chrome is feature rich but has wretched scrolling.

I tried Firefox, dolphin and they all had deal breaking issues that made them poor substitutes for Chrome.

Very annoying issue. Safari is so smooth on iOS, as is Chrome. Why android Chrome can't get this right is anyone's guess.

T5BRICK
Sep 28, 2013, 12:48 PM
Tell you one thing my S4 does not do well, and it's one of those simple things that rates high on the irritating scale...

Scrolling and zooming when surfing the internet with chrome. It absolutely blows. It's a very chunky and jerky experience compared to browsing on iOS with safari.

The stock GS4 browser is blah but performs well. Chrome is feature rich but has wretched scrolling.

I tried Firefox, dolphin and they all had deal breaking issues that made them poor substitutes for Chrome.

Very annoying issue. Safari is so smooth on iOS, as is Chrome. Why android Chrome can't get this right is anyone's guess.

So very true. It's crazy that Google can't get Chrome to work well on Android. It's my preferred browser on Mac, PC and iOS, but I have to use an alternative on Android. My mind is boggled.

Technarchy
Sep 28, 2013, 01:00 PM
So very true. It's crazy that Google can't get Chrome to work well on Android. It's my preferred browser on Mac, PC and iOS, but I have to use an alternative on Android. My mind is boggled.

What browser are you currently using?

gotluck
Sep 28, 2013, 01:08 PM
I use chrome browser most of the time, which came as the factory default on my phone. Normal AOSP browser doesn't come installed, similar to Nexus - I'm not sure if that has any effect on performance, but I find chrome the best for scrolling.

As a comparison, Chrome is terrible on my touchpad with cyanogenmod (Ice Cream Sandwich). I like Boat Browser best on it.

For flash, I've always liked Boat Browser best.

Vegastouch
Sep 28, 2013, 01:17 PM
The only annoying thing I find in Android, including the high-end devices, is touch input lag. In iOS, there's almost a 1 to 1 response time when it comes to touch. If you scroll or make gestures such as pinch to zoom, it responds precisely with the finger movement.

I've never seen an Android phone with perfect touch response. Always a slight delay between the beginning of the physical action and when it is reflected on the screen.

While it may not seem much, it is noticeable once you're mentally conditioned to instant response time.
Completely disagree with this.

Dontazemebro
Sep 28, 2013, 01:19 PM

Agreed, although 1:1 in touch screen responsiveness doesn't exist for any device. iOS is more like 1:1.5 while android is 1:2

Vegastouch
Sep 28, 2013, 01:19 PM

Well again, your using a skinned Safari browser that is called Chrome on iOS.

Technarchy
Sep 28, 2013, 01:20 PM
Well again, your using a skinned Safari browser that is called Chrome on iOS.

That is irrelevant.

Edit: I thought Samsung had the smoothest browsing experience with the GS2. It was better than any alternative.

2 years later the GS4 browser still feels the smoothest and best responding browser to me.

T5BRICK
Sep 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
What browser are you currently using?

I'm running a variant of CM 10.2 and I use the stock, boring AOSP browser.

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 02:02 PM
Completely disagree with this.

Yeah, I just don't see the big deal if I'm scrolling and things drag behind by milliseconds.

In real world use, it's hardly perceptible and entirely acceptable.

----------

Agreed, although 1:1 in touch screen responsiveness doesn't exist for any device. iOS is more like 1:1.5 while android is 1:2

I'm all for screens to continue improving until they're 1:1, but in the meantime, I can definitely live with those numbers.

Dontazemebro
Sep 28, 2013, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I just don't see the big deal if I'm scrolling and things drag behind by milliseconds.

In real world use, it's hardly perceptible and entirely acceptable.

----------

I'm all for screens to continue improving until they're 1:1, but in the meantime, I can definitely live with those numbers.

It does seem almost negligible but I have perceived a slight difference. Either way, people equating iOS to true 1:1 is absolutely false.

Vegastouch
Sep 28, 2013, 02:32 PM
That is irrelevant.

Edit: I thought Samsung had the smoothest browsing experience with the GS2. It was better than any alternative.

2 years later the GS4 browser still feels the smoothest and best responding browser to me.

Most of these issues only matter to people in here who care about benchmarks and keep saying Android still lags even if we are talking about a second and even milliseconds. Same with iOS. I used a ip5s the other day and it wasn't immediately responsive and it didn't bother me and won't bother most people who don't hang out in here to critisize such minute things.

verpeiler
Sep 28, 2013, 02:37 PM
I have a standard (Touchwiz) version. You are wrong.

It does lag. Some people just don't see it... Looks like you're a lucky one ;-)

I've seen all kinds of SGS 2, 3 or 4... They all have these micro stutters and ugly animation lags. The HTC one (even with sense) is nearly lag free; not like an iPhone but almost. Don't get me wrong, I don't say it's unusable, it's IMHO just annoying.

If you're happy with the S4, good for you.

Dontazemebro
Sep 28, 2013, 02:42 PM

I've seen all kinds of SGS 2, 3 or 4... They all have these micro stutters and ugly animation lags. The HTC one (even with sense) is nearly lag free; not like an iPhone but almost.

If you're happy with the S4, good for you.

Exactly, most people hardly ever notice but if you want to see some stuttering just dive into the call log list and watch how it jerks all over the place. Give it one good flick and you would think it was epileptic

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
Most of these issues only matter to people in here who care about benchmarks and keep saying Android still lags even if we are talking about a second and even milliseconds.

This is a great point.

I actually didn't care much nor noticed that my iPad 3rd gen lagged or had touchscreen hiccups once in a while, but ever since people kept insisting that iOS is 100% lag-free or 100% responsive, or ever since people started nitpicking the apparent huge gulf of touchscreen difference between the two OS-es, I became more sensitive to it when it did happen on iOS. It was like an ah-ha moment where I couldn't help but be alerted to it each time because it apparently was never supposed to do that.

This is all part of this myth that iOS "just works" that I've always argued was and still is detrimental to iOS and Apple.

appledes7
Sep 28, 2013, 09:42 PM
Oh my gosh guys, no phone is lag free. Just find a phone you like, try it out, and see if the performance meets your own personal standards.

King Shady
Sep 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
My S4 with Goldeneye 4.3 is absolutely blazing. Seriously, no noticeable lag at all, and I'm under-clocked to save some juice. This is the smoothest I've ever seen Android. The lag was definitely noticeable back on 4.2.2 TouchWiz though. While TouchWiz has nice camera software and a couple cool features, I'd much rather take 4.3 stock with a clean UI and no junk.

viskon
Sep 29, 2013, 02:27 AM
To OP- On Android tablets with 4.2.2 and higher , you can create multiple user accounts, each of them with their own login, apps, etc.

Shanghaichica
Sep 29, 2013, 02:33 AM
Sharing
Customisation
File management
flash support (ability to side load)
Notifications

daveathall
Sep 29, 2013, 04:42 AM

I agree, what I didn't agree with was your statement that it lags a lot. It may be that I just don't notice it, and if that is the case, for those that don't see it, one could argue that it isn't there. :)

In fairness, I went into the call log as Dontazemebro suggested and agree there is a more than acceptable lag (stuttering), TBH, I don't often use this feature and don't experience anything like it any where else on my phone, but he is correct, I just never used it before.

Savor
Sep 29, 2013, 09:53 PM
Android

Strictly from the OS and not OEM. Stock Android advantages over stock iOS -

- Ability to use a file manager

- Ability to save and restore previous versions of apps

- Ability to side load apps

- Ability for apps to communicate to one another

- Ability to Bluetooth transfer with other branded phones (Android has nearly 80% global marketshare which makes this more universal than iOS to iOS ONLY AirDrop)

- Ability to download files or ringtones from within the stock browser

- Ability to have a ringtone for FREE from the Zedge app or wherever without needing to open iTunes to remove it (iOS free ringtone makers still NEEDS iTunes and a computer open to remove it and then add it back again. More steps on iOS.)

- Ability to NOT pay iTunes 99 cents for a 30 second song/ringtone when entire songs can cost less

- Ability to have launchers to lock desktop, change icons, pick the animation, speed, and arrange it the way you want your homescreen and drawer to look like.

- Ability to make better 3rd party apps into default ones

- Apps with the ability to play different video formats (Luckily I had the VLC player when it was briefly avail on iTunes, but I got sick of generally converting to MP4)

- Ability to see a contact photo in the text message or notification area when you get texted (iOS is plainer and uglier)

- Ability to see a contact photo next to their name once you first open the dialer/phone/contact app (iOS still has names listed and you won't see a photo until you tap on a name)

- Apps like No Lock, Screen Off and Lock, Motion Actions, etc that prevents wear and tear on the power button

- Better integration with Google's services (Talkatone is better now on Android than iOS)

- Widgets

- No dependency to organize, add, or delete media content using iTunes (WP was same way with Zune program)

I find it ironic that iPhone began on GSM-technology but they act more like on a more country-binded CDMA-tech meaning more confined using it in a specific area. In this case, iOS to iOS WITHIN Apple's walled-garden. Android acts more GSM meaning more universal. And it is easy to counter iMessages with cross-platform message services like WhatsApp or Viber. The latter even offers free calls on Wi-Fi.

If music and camera is of high priority, then I can see why iPhones have advantages as they are generally more pocket-friendly to carry around to listen, have excellent internal audio, and have had a decent camera sensor since the 4. Gaming isn't high on my list for a phone. Some games kills battery the fastest after 3-4 hrs of screen usage. And I find the differences of many 3rd party apps I have on Android negligible compared to the iOS counterpart like Viber, Flixster, IMDB, Craigslist, SoundHound, or Vevo.

Also, I'm just recently getting into swipe texting using SwiftKey. One-handed texting on a wider phone got much easier for me. SwiftKey and its excellent predictive system pretty much eliminated the uncomfort with one-handed use for a bigger screen phone. I actually made the keyboard into the largest font. So texting on the smaller iPhones and its smaller stock keyboard has become much slower for me to text on recently.

onthecouchagain
Sep 29, 2013, 09:59 PM
Android

Strictly from the OS and not OEM. Stock Android advantages over stock iOS -

- Ability to use a file manager

- Ability to save and restore previous versions of apps

- Ability to side load apps

- Ability for apps to communicate to one another

- Ability to Bluetooth transfer with other branded phones (Android has nearly 80% global marketshare which makes this more universal than iOS to iOS ONLY AirDrop)

- Ability to download files or ringtones from within the stock browser

- Ability to have a ringtone for FREE from the Zedge app or wherever without needing to open iTunes to remove it (iOS free ringtone makers still NEEDS iTunes and a computer open to remove it and then add it back again. More steps on iOS.)

- Ability to NOT pay iTunes 99 cents for a 30 second song/ringtone when entire songs can cost less

- Ability to have launchers to lock desktop, change icons, pick the animation, speed, and arrange it the way you want your homescreen and drawer to look like.

- Ability to make better 3rd party apps into default ones

- Apps with the ability to play different video formats (Luckily I had the VLC player when it was briefly avail on iTunes, but I got sick of generally converting to MP4)

- Ability to see a contact photo in the text message or notification area when you get texted (iOS is plainer and uglier)

- Ability to see a contact photo next to their name once you first open the dialer/phone/contact app (iOS still has names listed and you won't see a photo until you tap on a name)

- Apps like No Lock, Screen Off and Lock, Motion Actions, etc that prevents wear and tear on the power button

- Better integration with Google's services (Talkatone is better now on Android than iOS)

- Widgets

- No dependency to organize, add, or delete media content using iTunes (WP was same way with Zune program)

I find it ironic that iPhone began on GSM-technology but they act more like on a more country-binded CDMA-tech meaning more confined using it in a specific area. In this case, iOS to iOS WITHIN Apple's walled-garden. Android acts more GSM meaning more universal. And it is easy to counter iMessages with cross-platform message services like WhatsApp or Viber. The latter even offers free calls on Wi-Fi.

If music and camera is of high priority, then I can see why iPhones have advantages as they are generally more pocket-friendly to carry around to listen, have excellent internal audio, and have had a decent camera sensor since the 4. Gaming isn't high on my list for a phone. Some games kills battery the fastest after 3-4 hrs of screen usage. And I find the differences of many 3rd party apps I have on Android negligible compared to the iOS counterpart like Viber, Flixster, IMDB, Craigslist, SoundHound, or Vevo.

Also, I'm just recently getting into swipe texting using SwiftKey. One-handed texting on a wider phone got much easier for me. SwiftKey and its excellent predictive system pretty much eliminated the uncomfort with one-handed use for a bigger screen phone. I actually made the keyboard into the largest font. So texting on the smaller iPhones and its smaller stock keyboard has become much slower for me to text on recently.

Great list -- some that I didn't even think about.

Savor
Sep 29, 2013, 10:11 PM
Great list -- some that I didn't even think about. No prob! ;-)

eclipse01
Sep 30, 2013, 09:59 AM
Oh my gosh guys, no phone is lag free. Just find a phone you like, try it out, and see if the performance meets your own personal standards.

Most flip phones seem lag free :D

Technarchy
Sep 30, 2013, 10:34 AM
Not sure about other phones, but something my GS4 does that I really like...

If my phone is face down and there is a notification, when I pick up my phone it gives one light vibration pulse letting me know the notification is there even before I wake the screen up.

Stuntman06
Sep 30, 2013, 11:29 AM
Not sure about other phones, but something my GS4 does that I really like...

If my phone is face down and there is a notification, when I pick up my phone it gives one light vibration pulse letting me know the notification is there even before I wake the screen up.

It doesn't have to be face down. If you leave it somewhere and pick it up, you will get a vibration when picking it up. It works with my SGS3.

JackieInCo
Sep 30, 2013, 12:56 PM
I like the way the Play store handles in app purchases such as purchasing ad removal.

I upgraded the speediest.net app on my Nexus 4 and it finally has the ad removal that the iOS version got many months ago. I paid the $.99 on my Nexus 4 and then upgraded the app on my Nexus 7. On the Nexus 7, it already knew I purchased the ad removal so there was nothing I needed to do.

I've noticed this with other purchases as well. This makes things so nice, wish it would happen like that on the app store between my iOS devices.

appledes7
Sep 30, 2013, 04:06 PM
Most flip phones seem lag free :D

That's it. I'm throwing my Nexus 4 in the trash.

eclipse01
Sep 30, 2013, 04:13 PM
I like the way the Play store handles in app purchases such as purchasing ad removal.

I upgraded the speediest.net app on my Nexus 4 and it finally has the ad removal that the iOS version got many months ago. I paid the $.99 on my Nexus 4 and then upgraded the app on my Nexus 7. On the Nexus 7, it already knew I purchased the ad removal so there was nothing I needed to do.

I've noticed this with other purchases as well. This makes things so nice, wish it would happen like that on the app store between my iOS devices.

I just saw this update after I made the comment in this thread a few days ago:rolleyes:

Schicksal
Oct 5, 2013, 10:16 AM
Advantage Android:
Works much better as a USB drive than an iPhone.

At the moment that's about it, but I'm dealing with a crash-happy Galaxy S running Gingerbread, stuffed with factory apps from Samsung and T Mobile that can't be removed or transferred to the SD card. I'd root the thing if the Nexus 5 weren't coming out so soon, and at that time what I get will be a toss up between one of those vs. an iPhone 5 from ebay.

mib1800
Oct 28, 2013, 12:11 AM
Exactly, most people hardly ever notice but if you want to see some stuttering just dive into the call log list and watch how it jerks all over the place. Give it one good flick and you would think it was epileptic

Set your call log size to lower value will eliminates the stutters.

Don't compare to iOS log which is totally pathetic. No thumbnail picture (in list) and can only have like 200 entries (unlike Android which can have unlimited entries).

Jibbajabba
Oct 28, 2013, 01:22 AM
I agree, there are countless other threads on this same nonsense.

Starting with the same 'I don't want a flame war'.

Honestly, this is the last place you can expect a grown up conversation about android. You can get decent iOS vs. Android discussions on androidforums.com, but not here

Savor
Oct 28, 2013, 06:47 AM
Another point for Android -

Searching for full movies using MovieTube and downloading them to your phone using TubeMate.

I just downloaded Kick-Ass 2 last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was a movie that was released two months ago but the quality of the rip is just stellar. I only download 720p videos with great quality as 1080p takes up too much space and battery. And 1080p quality vs 720p being usually negligible.

I was never a fan watching movies on a smartphone. Makes me sleepy but the HTC One's beautiful display and good quality sound coming from the dual frontal speakers made me change that perception. Now I prefer bigger screens.

Huawei Ascend Mate at 6.1 inches is on my watchlist as it packs only 720p which saves more battery but packs a 4050 mAh battery and expandable memory up to 64 GB that this would make an excelllent portable movie player. Only the Asus Fonepad packs a larger screen and bigger battery but the SoC is just too weak for my taste.

I can't see myself going back to a closed ecosystem with a smaller screen to view all my content. I know Android isnt perfect and I respect Apple for making all this happen back in 2007 - 2008. I was an iOS lover for five years. And while I miss a few things from an iPhone, I just cant see myself letting go on some of my freedom that I can do with Android right now. There are tradeoffs but I see myself sticking to Android more for their openness.

Shuri
Oct 28, 2013, 09:12 AM
Another point for Android -

Searching for full movies using MovieTube and downloading them to your phone using TubeMate.

You could bring it down to: every form of piracy is easier on android. ;)

kingalexthe1st
Oct 28, 2013, 09:23 AM
I have a Nexus 4 waiting for me at home which I bagged when the google sale was on. As an iPhone user I have become increasingly frustrated at Apple's "our way is the best way" mode of thinking and I want a bit more freedom. Now, of course, android has been touted as having far more freedom than any iDevice and I'm genuinely excited to see what the Nexus can do.

What I'd like to ask before I get it is, what is the file management system like for downloads? If I download a file that has been emailed to me, can I just store it somewhere in the phone, like I would with a computer? I'd like to be able to have files stored, and then accessed with whatever app I like, change them if necessary (let's go with a document here) and then forward them on to anyone I want either by email, dropbox or the like. What I don't want is for an attachment to be 'stuck' to one app that Apple deems as worthy.

I'm also a bit of a hoarder of information that I like on the web. If I see an article I like, I want to save it permentantly. Maybe to Evernote, but that depends on a web conneciton for the free accounts. Can I easily save articles from the web or from an app, clip them perhaps and save them in a document folder or something?

Thanks. Oh, and apologies if this has already been mentioned. 7 pages of forum posts isn't something I want to sift through :)

Alex

viskon
Oct 28, 2013, 10:13 AM
I have a Nexus 4 waiting for me at home which I bagged when the google sale was on. As an iPhone user I have become increasingly frustrated at Apple's "our way is the best way" mode of thinking and I want a bit more freedom. Now, of course, android has been touted as having far more freedom than any iDevice and I'm genuinely excited to see what the Nexus can do.

What I'd like to ask before I get it is, what is the file management system like for downloads? If I download a file that has been emailed to me, can I just store it somewhere in the phone, like I would with a computer? I'd like to be able to have files stored, and then accessed with whatever app I like, change them if necessary (let's go with a document here) and then forward them on to anyone I want either by email, dropbox or the like. What I don't want is for an attachment to be 'stuck' to one app that Apple deems as worthy.

I'm also a bit of a hoarder of information that I like on the web. If I see an article I like, I want to save it permentantly. Maybe to Evernote, but that depends on a web conneciton for the free accounts. Can I easily save articles from the web or from an app, clip them perhaps and save them in a document folder or something?

Thanks. Oh, and apologies if this has already been mentioned. 7 pages of forum posts isn't something I want to sift through :)

Alex

To the first part of your question - all downloads in Android, by default go to the Download folder. You can then move them to wherever you want to, or create your own folder and move them there. Just like on a PC. And then you can decide how you want to share it - email, Dropbox, etc.

Can't help you with the second part of your question, though. Never had to do any of the things you ask about.

jsw
Oct 28, 2013, 10:15 AM
What I'd like to ask before I get it is, what is the file management system like for downloads? If I download a file that has been emailed to me, can I just store it somewhere in the phone, like I would with a computer? I'd like to be able to have files stored, and then accessed with whatever app I like, change them if necessary (let's go with a document here) and then forward them on to anyone I want either by email, dropbox or the like. What I don't want is for an attachment to be 'stuck' to one app that Apple deems as worthy.Yup, you can store files wherever you want. Just like on a regular computer, there are places it might not be best to store them, but you can put them anywhere you have write permission, which is pretty much anywhere you'd want to put them.
I'm also a bit of a hoarder of information that I like on the web. If I see an article I like, I want to save it permentantly. Maybe to Evernote, but that depends on a web conneciton for the free accounts. Can I easily save articles from the web or from an app, clip them perhaps and save them in a document folder or something?Something like Save This Page (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.envisinex.savethispage&hl=en) might do what you want.

kingalexthe1st
Oct 28, 2013, 10:38 AM
all downloads in Android, by default go to the Download folder. You can then move them to wherever you want to, or create your own folder and move them there. Just like on a PC. And then you can decide how you want to share it - email, Dropbox, etc.

Yup, you can store files wherever you want. Just like on a regular computer, there are places it might not be best to store them, but you can put them anywhere you have write permission, which is pretty much anywhere you'd want to put them.
Something like Save This Page (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.envisinex.savethispage&hl=en) might do what you want.

Awesome! Thanks guys, sounds like I'll enjoy what this phone/OS can do :)

Alex

Oletros
Oct 28, 2013, 11:40 AM

You can use share to Pocket, Readability or Instapaper

LIVEFRMNYC
Oct 28, 2013, 02:11 PM

Alex

From Firefox browser I usually just save a page as a .PDF file if I want to read later. More robust option do exist. I'm pretty sure they have plugins on Firefox and other browsers to save multiple pages for offline viewing. And of course they have seperate apps dedicated for this.

GR33NIE
Oct 28, 2013, 02:28 PM
From recent experience the sheer customisation options are far superior, apart from that... Not much else I'm going back to iOS actually