Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I've been on android for a while which only allowed me to have gmail set to push. Now that i'm back to iOS i was wondering if anyone has advice on push vs. fetch.

I only have 1 gmail account for personal use. I get email responses to craigslist and ebay sales. Amazon shipping notifications and coupons. Nothing urgent.

My goal is to turn on the best setting for battery life. Any help would be appreciated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not sure you'll be able to get push with Gmail in any case (at least with the native Mail app).

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
I've been on android for a while which only allowed me to have gmail set to push. Now that i'm back to iOS i was wondering if anyone has advice on push vs. fetch.

I only have 1 gmail account for personal use. I get email responses to craigslist and ebay sales. Amazon shipping notifications and coupons. Nothing urgent.

My goal is to turn on the best setting for battery life. Any help would be appreciated.

GMail removed ActiveSync support, so Push is no longer available via the Mail.app. Google provides iOS users a custom Gmail app (though it cannot be set as the default email app) that gives iOS users push notifications.

If you choose to use Fetch, the longer time you choose, the better your battery life. Obviously you're going to have better battery life if you choose to fetch every hour rather than every fifteen minutes.

You can also choose "Manual" which will only refresh mail when you hit the refresh button in the mail app.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

You have 3 choices:

1. Forward your Gmail to an e-mail account that uses push like Outlook.com (which is how mine is setup now) or

2. Set it to check for new gmail e-mails once every 15, 30 min or an hour. (Fetch schedule)

3. use the gmail app itself which supports push notification.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.