PDA

View Full Version : MBA - Safe to turn off sleep?

octavian90
Sep 26, 2013, 04:52 PM
Hi all,

I read a thread where we can use the sudo pmset -c sleep 0 to turn off sleep while the macbook air is plugged in. I want to do this for 2 reasons:

- Remote access using teamviewer
- Chrome bug where the MBA will annoyingly go to sleep a few seconds after waking

Is there any adverse effect to turning off sleep, and having the MBA be "awake" forever?

DisplacedMic
Sep 26, 2013, 05:20 PM
Hi all,

I read a thread where we can use the sudo pmset -c sleep 0 to turn off sleep while the macbook air is plugged in. I want to do this for 2 reasons:

- Remote access using teamviewer
- Chrome bug where the MBA will annoyingly go to sleep a few seconds after waking

Is there any adverse effect to turning off sleep, and having the MBA be "awake" forever?

It will still sleep when you close the lid, so just do that when you're not using it.
i am having a similar issue - it's infuriating. You have disabled the "put drives to sleep" option i assume?

but otherwise yes - i don't see why this would hurt anything. Other than the cons of running the computer more often than not i don't see the harm. I wouldn't run it 24 hours a day for years or anything, but disabling sleep won't hurt it significantly. i'd sacrifice a few weeks/months on the backend to get rid of that annoying sleep issue.

ALthough i've only had it happen 1 time since upgrading to 10.8.5

Alrescha
Sep 26, 2013, 05:27 PM
I read a thread where we can use the sudo pmset

Is this better than opening System Preferences/Energy Saver and sliding the "Computer sleep" time control over to 'never'?

A.

WiLLGT09
Sep 26, 2013, 09:58 PM
Is this better than opening System Preferences/Energy Saver and sliding the "Computer sleep" time control over to 'never'?

A.

Not sure what version of MacBook Air OP has, but on the 2013 there is no slider for "Computer Sleep" anymore. Just display sleep. Though there is "prevent computer from sleeping when display is off" option, which might be just the thing OP wants? Here's a screenshot from my new 2013 MBA: http://i.imgur.com/x31XnAv.png

OP: you can download the free app Caffeine, which will keep your Mac awake. (It's in the M.A.S.)

Alrescha
Sep 27, 2013, 08:49 AM
Not sure what version of MacBook Air OP has, but on the 2013 there is no slider for "Computer Sleep" anymore.

You learn something new every day. The slider is there on my 2012 MBA, I swear. :-)

A.