Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macinstache

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
I give my iPad Mini to my 2yr old when he's going #2. I started filling the tub and went to go put my newborn to bed. I came back to my 2yr old telling me the iPad didn't work anymore.

It's in a Griffin Survivor case and I tore it off. The whole case was wet and had water underneath on the mini. I have no idea how long it was submerged. None of the buttons work. Any advice? I have it propped up at an angle with a fan running directly into the speakers. Oh yeah, I don't have Apple Care.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
My understanding is...

DO NOT turn it on.

Put it in a big bag of rice and leave it there for 4-7 days.

Don't rush to take it out of the rice.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
1. Never give an iPad etc to a kid and then leave them for one second. Accidents will happen

2. If you have kids, get apple care. Accidents will happen.

3. If the buttons aren't working it might be too late for the rice trick. That's really only good if all the water is surface and you are trying to dry it before it gets inside and you are worried if you use a rag you'll just wipe it into the dang thing. You can try it but leave it for several days (like at least a good 3-4 if not a whole week). Don't get your hopes up it will do any good, then if it doesn't you are ready for it. And beware of rice in the headphones and power ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.