Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Well 5 days ago I got my first Mac. An iBook to be specific. I am very happy with it. Almost too happy with it! :D There is just 2 things in the back of my mind that are constantly eating at me.

1. The 40 gig hard drive. Its enough right now but in the coming months with my ever expanding music collection/ soon to be photo collection I have a feeling it could fill up to fast.

2. The "rumored" intel laptops at MWSF. They seem to be way more future proof. And I would also assume the Hard drive would get a bump. Along with some awsome new features it seems.

I just dont want to be left out in the cold with my iBook. I understand I would have to have a 10% restocking fee but do you think it would be worth it? I would probobly lose 95 dollars on it so what do you think? Should I return it and wait becuase I dont "need" a laptop right now. I have a "capable" windows XP computer that could probobly be enough for another month or 2.

Also I don't want my parents to think im crazy for jumping back and forth so soon. It went from Mac to Xbox 360 to Mac (which im stuck to now). Is there any problems with returning it to the Apple Store and just telling them I want to wait or would you advise just lieing and make something up.

Wow im just confused. Damn you buyers remorse...

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Mmh, since you already have it I really don't think it's worth the expense and hassle (not to mention what your parents will think) of returning it.

Yes, something awesome will probably be released in January, and you'll feel horribly robbed. But even if it is, you probably wouldn't be able to actually get your hands on one until February, and even then if it's Intel-based almost everything will be running emulated for the first few months so it probably won't even be as fast as your current iBook. Factor in the relatively high possibility of first-generation glitches (this'll be a COMPLETELY new architecture, after all), and the current, bland, stable, perfectly good iBooks aren't without advantages.

Just ignore all Mac news for the next few months, and you won't have anything to feel bad about. That's what I do.

As for the hard drive, you can use an external for most stuf (which'll be faster anyway), and you can always replace the internal drive at some point. Sure, it's not easy, but it is doable if you're careful.

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
the best way i recently figured out to save a lot of hard drive space is to have my itunes library stored my an external drive that I leave at home. during the day, while on the move, i use my ipod for media playback (which saves processor cycles too), and when I plug everything in at night to charge, it synchs the ipod from the external drive. I've never had a need to use the music or videos on the computer while away from my desk before.

note: if you're not a product of the ipod halo effect (a la, bought an ipod -> switched to mac), ignore this post.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
Bring it back and wait for January. Something way better will be out then.

But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January. But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January. But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January. But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January. But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January.

Keep your iBook and enjoy it. There is always going to be something better right around the corner. And the corner after that. And the next corner...

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Thanks for I will keep it. That external driver things a good idea I think I will ask for one for christmas. I use to have 27Gigs of space before music now I have ~9-8 gigs left. Once the Intel books are up and running and the iBook is showing its age I will run out and get one.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Don't worry about future products. Enjoy what you have now. I purchased my PB when everyone was just sure that G5 PBs were on the way. Three months later some lame update was released and I had a full 3 months to convince my wife that we needed a new PM.

As to the xBox 360... I'd wait a good while until MS has the chance to shake out the bugs. I think a laptop will serve you much better in the long run. :D

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
m-dogg said:
But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January. But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January. But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January. But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January. But if you wait till January, you might as well wait until June. And if you wait until June, you might as well wait until October. And if you wait until then, you may as well hold out for MWSF in January.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Very nicely done. :D :D

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
runninmac said:
Thanks for I will keep it. That external driver things a good idea I think I will ask for one for christmas. I use to have 27Gigs of space before music now I have ~9-8 gigs left. Once the Intel books are up and running and the iBook is showing its age I will run out and get one.

If the internal hard drive in your computer starts to be too small, and you want more room to take your files with you (externals are a pain to truck around, even if they're portable), you could consider taking your computer apart to install a larger drive. It's a serious take apart and you should know what you're doing, but it's very doable.

iBS23

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
Keep the iBook! If its your first mac, just get used to the system and learn to love it like the rest of us. Once you've had it a while, then the new intel macs will have been out for a while with the kinks worked out. At that time, you truly appreciate the improvement.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
I agree with everyone that says keep the iBook. I just got the newest 12" iBook in August for school and I love it! I also just built my own external hard drive for my iBook and it works really well. I'd say either buy a Lacie external drive or build your own.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
That's one of the problems you encounter moving down to a laptop when you're used to all the space provided on any normal desktop these days.

A laptop is meant to help you take your work with you between locations.

Even with todays 100+ GB laptop drives, if you just let everything accumulate it doesn't take long for all your storage to add up.

Until 2 years ago, the most I had stored on my actual hard drive was
less that 7 GB including applications.

I guess I learned the old school method of backing up everything to CD
keeping the hard drive space available when I needed it.

Tonight I thought I was doomed to losing 32GB of mostly applications, configurations and preferences after a kernel panic.

If that had been the case, I wouldn't really have lost anything except
my nerves and some sleep.

That iBook is a fantastic little tool at a very reasonable price.

All laptops have limitations, but that comes with portablility.

A back up drive keeps your important data in a safe place where it should be.

If you want some extra room for your favorite tunes, get an iPod ;)

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Once again thanks for the advice. Is it easy to make your own external drive? Is there any online guides or anything like that? I think thats what I may be asking for X-mas

iBS23

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2005
runninmac said:
Once again thanks for the advice. Is it easy to make your own external drive? Is there any online guides or anything like that? I think thats what I may be asking for X-mas

The easiest way is to buy an internal harddrive (Best Buy and Compusa often have Seagate drives real cheap as does egghead.com). Instead of installing it in the computer, pick up an external drive enclosure that has your preferrred connection (USB 2.0, Firewire) and install it into that enclosure. I suspose there are some hard-core guys that might create their own enclosures, but that's not me.

To give you an example, I picked up a 3.5 inch 160 GB internal drive for $25 bucks after rebates and a Firewire/USB 2.0 drive enclosure for another $30. For $55 bucks a got a lot more storage than the pre-made drives available. Unfortunately great deals on 2.5 inch drives less common so I have not (yet) made a portable version as the prices are not much cheaper than the premade verisons.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
iBS23 said:
[...]often have Seagate drives real cheap as does egghead.com).

Newegg.com? LOL, that's funny, egghead.com redirects to Amazon!

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I just got a 160 GB external USB 2.0 drive (Western Digital) from Best Buy for 80 bucks. Yup, 80 bucks! What a deal! It was on Black Friday, so I definitely walked out a happy customer. It's a Christmas gift, so I don't get to use it until then... but I can wait 24 more days. :D

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA

The best advice thus far! ;)

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
runninmac said:
Well 5 days ago I got my first Mac. An iBook to be specific. I am very happy with it. Almost too happy with it! :D There is just 2 things in the back of my mind that are constantly eating at me.

1. The 40 gig hard drive. Its enough right now but in the coming months with my ever expanding music collection/ soon to be photo collection I have a feeling it could fill up to fast.

2. The "rumored" intel laptops at MWSF. They seem to be way more future proof. And I would also assume the Hard drive would get a bump. Along with some awsome new features it seems.

I just dont want to be left out in the cold with my iBook. I understand I would have to have a 10% restocking fee but do you think it would be worth it? I would probobly lose 95 dollars on it so what do you think? Should I return it and wait becuase I dont "need" a laptop right now. I have a "capable" windows XP computer that could probobly be enough for another month or 2.

Also I don't want my parents to think im crazy for jumping back and forth so soon. It went from Mac to Xbox 360 to Mac (which im stuck to now). Is there any problems with returning it to the Apple Store and just telling them I want to wait or would you advise just lieing and make something up.

Wow im just confused. Damn you buyers remorse...

if there are going to be new ibooks they will definitely be atleast 100$ lower. So if you are not sure return it. And promise your self that you are not going to buy any thing for next 2 months. 40GB is low if it is your *ONLY* computer. if are happy with it get an portable 80GB (wetern digital has a good one for about 100$ or for the same price you get more than 160GB external desktop style HDs. Keep only the fresh stuff on your mac. if are not into oh i want osX just run to walmart/officedepot or some thing get a 400$ laptop that should be good enough too. if you know you have to stick with it you will put it to better use as you get creative using it.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
If I were you I'd return it. Those new iBooks sound nice.

"Making" an external hard drive is also VERY easy. My dad can do it (he did it all on his own!). You buy the hard drive, buy the enclosure, and stick em together.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
runninmac said:
I understand I would have to have a 10% restocking fee but do you think it would be worth it? I would probobly lose 95 dollars on it so what do you think? Should I return it and wait becuase I dont "need" a laptop right now. I have a "capable" windows XP computer that could probobly be enough for another month or 2.

No, keep it. Don't sit on the edge of your seat for the next best thing contemplating some sort of notion of 'falling behind' everyone else. It sounds like you're really enjoying it so run with it! Enjoy your iBook. As for storage, just be conservative about keeping downloaded files to a minimum, etc. Also if you have a "capable" Windows XP computer, use it as a storage depot for large, critical files you don't want taking up space on your iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.