Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
How do I make a VS2012 C# project (WinForms) compatible with OS X? Is it possible at all?

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
How do I make a VS2012 C# project (WinForms) compatible with OS X? Is it possible at all?

It's way, way easier to port a program that you designed to be portable in the first place, instead of trying to port a completed project over

Niklas Korz

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2013
Germany
You should probably check out Mono and MonoDevelop. It even has the possibility to put your program into an OS X App bundle.

If you want to put it on the App Store, make sure to include the Mono runtime.
Maybe you should consider writing a separate OS X UI. You can still use C# for this, thanks to MonoMac.

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
If your UI is abstracted enough from the core of the program you might be able to just make a new UI.

That assumes the core of your program is all C/C++ and no C#

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
You're probably looking at a rewrite.

Mono is OK - but only supports a subset of the .Net libraries, so unless you built your C# project with mono compatibility in mind, you'll still have some porting to do, anyway.

Here's a page describing the subset of libraries mono supports:
http://www.mono-project.com/Compatibility

If you wanted mono compatibility on Linux or OS/X, you'll probably also want to make sure you are compiling wih /clr : pure.

All that said, though, depending on the code base, I'd probably just port it to C++ or Objective-C. It'll give you the best native performance on OS/X and you'll get a change to rethink the code as well. Of course, from a time perspective, this is the most expensive option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.