PDA

View Full Version : Wow, smart screen kind of scared me today

spinedoc77
Sep 27, 2013, 07:40 AM
I have to say, the smart screen function is actually kind of cool. This is the function that keeps the phone screen on when it detects your face looking at it. I don't think many phones have it, I believe the S4 and my LG G2 are 2 of the few that have it.

Anyway I had it switched on, but never used it, thinking it was just a gimmick and you had to have your face a couple inches away from the screen or something. Today I had it in my car cradle at least a couple of feet away from my face, and in the middle of the dashboard so at an angle. I was listening to a podcast and the screen dimming caught my attention from the corner of my eye, I turned slightly to look at the screen and it lit up again. It was kind of freaky and I kept doing it every time the screen dimmed, it took me like half a dozen of these until I realized it was the smart screen function.

It's actually kind of cool, and good to know it works. I'm not sure if I would necessarily use it, although I have to assume I HAVE been using it as I can't really remember any instances of when I was sitting looking at the screen that it shut off on me.

Anyone else like this feature?

Gav2k
Sep 27, 2013, 07:45 AM
I have to say, the smart screen function is actually kind of cool. This is the function that keeps the phone screen on when it detects your face looking at it. I don't think many phones have it, I believe the S4 and my LG G2 are 2 of the few that have it.

Anyway I had it switched on, but never used it, thinking it was just a gimmick and you had to have your face a couple inches away from the screen or something. Today I had it in my car cradle at least a couple of feet away from my face, and in the middle of the dashboard so at an angle. I was listening to a podcast and the screen dimming caught my attention from the corner of my eye, I turned slightly to look at the screen and it lit up again. It was kind of freaky and I kept doing it every time the screen dimmed, it took me like half a dozen of these until I realized it was the smart screen function.

It's actually kind of cool, and good to know it works. I'm not sure if I would necessarily use it, although I have to assume I HAVE been using it as I can't really remember any instances of when I was sitting looking at the screen that it shut off on me.

Personally I don't as it's a battery hog

spinedoc77
Sep 27, 2013, 07:47 AM

I don't understand, don't you want the screen on when you are looking at it?

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 27, 2013, 07:48 AM

How is it a battery hog? Who stares at the screen while it's off?

Gav2k
Sep 27, 2013, 07:54 AM
The camera is on all the time the screen is tracking your eyes! That uses battery life. One review test clocked the feature using over an hours battery life per cycle!

Oohara
Sep 27, 2013, 07:59 AM
I find it very useful on my Note 2. It's nice to be able to read for long periods without being interrupted by having to tap the screen to keep it awake every few minutes. It works flawlessly for me, even when I keep the phone all the way down on my lap.

I haven't noticed any difference in battery drain time when turning it off, but then again the battery juice on the Note 2 is already quite plentiful. :D

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 08:07 AM
Awesome feature. Thankfully there are companies willing to experiment and get these features out there. There may be hiccups (as there usually are with technology) but it's really cool that they're putting the smart in smartphone.

LIVEFRMNYC
Sep 27, 2013, 08:23 AM
The camera is on all the time the screen is tracking your eyes! That uses battery life. One review test clocked the feature using over an hours battery life per cycle!

I haven't notice any battery drainage that is enough to even notice on the S3 or S4. Plus it's only in use when the screen is on.

spinedoc77
Sep 27, 2013, 09:12 AM

That's interesting, good to know. I don't think it matters much with my LG G2, the battery life on this thing is beastly.

Dontazemebro
Sep 27, 2013, 09:24 AM
Only bad thing it doesn't work as good under poor lighting.

TheHateMachine
Sep 27, 2013, 09:32 AM

Yea, my S3 didn't work very well but my Note 2 seems to work a lot better in the dark.

Technarchy
Sep 27, 2013, 09:43 AM

That's partly why I turned out off. That, and as a feature I regard it as mostly dubious.

About the only feature I keep on all the time with my GS4 is air gestures for answering the phone. Comes in handy more often than one would think.

lazard
Sep 27, 2013, 10:34 AM
I keep on smart stay, air gesture, and direct call. The features are useful and the battery usage is negligible.

Dontazemebro
Sep 27, 2013, 12:14 PM
That's partly why I turned out off. That, and as a feature I regard it as mostly dubious.

About the only feature I keep on all the time with my GS4 is air gestures for answering the phone. Comes in handy more often than one would think.

Agreed, I found it a nice novelty but don't really use it as much. Must have on for me is air gesture and multi window. Love those 2

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 02:12 PM
Isn't it nice to be able to turn on and off things you may or may not need per your own choice and preference?

The fact that things can be turned on/off should nullify the common argument that so-and-so feature shouldn't exist because "I don't need it." You don't have to need it for it to exist.

I personally don't have these new features, but I love hearing about them.

TheRealCBONE
Sep 27, 2013, 07:56 PM
Isn't it nice to be able to turn on and off things you may or may not need per your own choice and preference?

The fact that things can be turned on/off should nullify the common argument that so-and-so feature shouldn't exist because "I don't need it." You don't have to need it for it to exist.

I don't understand why people would argue that being forced to accept less is somehow better than being given the option for more if you want it.

Assault
Sep 27, 2013, 08:44 PM

I did like some of the Touchwiz features. Smart stay always worked for me on the S3, and I liked that it would keep the phone in portrait mode if I was laying down on my side, because it saw the orientation of my head and eyes.

Custom ROMs, like the one I am now on, incorporate some cool features from the MotoX. Having options to use features like these are awesome!

JohnLT13
Sep 27, 2013, 08:44 PM
I don't understand why people would argue that being forced to accept less is somehow better than being given the option for more if you want it.

Sometimes less is more?

TheRealCBONE
Sep 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
Sometimes less is more?

In this case, less is just less.

onthecouchagain
Sep 27, 2013, 09:21 PM

Brilliantly said. Yes.

----------

Yup.

OneMike
Sep 27, 2013, 09:23 PM
Android had some cool features. This is one of them.

Oohara
Sep 27, 2013, 09:27 PM
Android had some cool features. This is not of them.

Why not?

OneMike
Sep 27, 2013, 09:29 PM
Why not?

iPhone auto correct error, updated. Meant to say it is one of them.

JohnLT13
Sep 28, 2013, 07:21 AM

Maybe for you personal experience it is, If I had wanted more I would have kept my Android phone. IMO sometimes less is more. I found that the iPhone 5 gave me everything I needed and very little of what I don't.

spinedoc77
Sep 28, 2013, 09:18 AM

Simple, but true. It always amazes me how a lack of options can be spun into a positive.

----------

Maybe for you personal experience it is, If I had wanted more I would have kept my Android phone. IMO sometimes less is more. I found that the iPhone 5 gave me everything I needed and very little of what I don't.

Well thanks for the valuable contribution to this thread, we will keep that in mind.

matttye
Sep 28, 2013, 09:29 AM

That's not correct - it doesn't track your eyes all the time.

The way Samsung implemented it in the Galaxy S3 (I assume it's the same for the S4) is that every time your screen is about to time out, the camera checks if you're looking at the screen. If you are, it keeps the screen on until the next time it's about to time out again.

That said, while I think it's a pretty cool feature, it probably makes more sense to just disable screen timeout altogether and lock the device manually.

AQUADock
Sep 28, 2013, 09:29 AM
I have an S3 and I have only seen the icon show up on the status bar about 2 times. I must have an irregular face :) so i turned it off, hopefully it will get improved in the 4.3 update.

matttye
Sep 28, 2013, 09:33 AM
I have an S3 and I have only seen the icon show up on the status bar about 2 times. I must have an irregular face :) so i turned it off, hopefully it will get improved in the 4.3 update.

The icon only comes up when the screen is about to time out.

If you have the timeout set to 1 minute, the icon will come up after 1 minute of you not touching the screen to see if you're still looking at it, and every 1 minute thereafter.

The icon also means that it is looking for your face; it doesn't signify that you are actually looking at the screen.

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 10:20 AM

Well thanks for the valuable contribution to this thread, we will keep that in mind.

Precisely why I say there needs to be an objective conversation too. :)

If we're only going to go by preferences, then, well, thanks for sharing. My preferences are different than yours. The conversation is over.

EDIT:

Generally speaking, let me add: Subjectively, we lose nothing when a feature that can be turned on/off is added. Objectively, the OS gains.

AQUADock
Sep 28, 2013, 10:41 AM
The icon only comes up when the screen is about to time out.

If you have the timeout set to 1 minute, the icon will come up after 1 minute of you not touching the screen to see if you're still looking at it, and every 1 minute thereafter.

The icon also means that it is looking for your face; it doesn't signify that you are actually looking at the screen.

Ahh i see thanks for that it works.

Spacial
Sep 28, 2013, 04:18 PM

You have it backwards. It conserves battery.

----------

That's not correct - it doesn't track your eyes all the time.

The way Samsung implemented it in the Galaxy S3 (I assume it's the same for the S4) is that every time your screen is about to time out, the camera checks if you're looking at the screen. If you are, it keeps the screen on until the next time it's about to time out again.

That said, while I think it's a pretty cool feature, it probably makes more sense to just disable screen timeout altogether and lock the device manually.

If Apple featured this, the blogosphere would explode with glowing reports of Apple changing the world...again :)

matttye
Sep 28, 2013, 04:31 PM
You have it backwards. It conserves battery.

If Apple featured this, the blogosphere would explode with glowing reports of Apple changing the world...again :)

It doesn't conserve battery. If it wasn't turned on, you'd just have to tap the screen every so often to stop it timing out. Clearly that can't possibly use more battery than the phone using the camera intermittently to keep the screen on.

I doubt it. That usually happens when Apple improves on something, but Samsung's implementation is already pretty perfect.

Dontazemebro
Sep 28, 2013, 05:51 PM
Android had some cool features. This is one of them.

Yep, quite the feature list for android.

Belkin S4 view case - $24.99

Galaxy S4 under contract - $199.99

Not having to use that 20lb hospital bedside remote - Priceless

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 06:14 PM
I doubt it. That usually happens when Apple improves on something, but Samsung's implementation is already pretty perfect.

I could be wrong but I think he means if Apple introduced a feature like "Smart Stay" first, before Samsung did it, the response would be quite different.

Some might even call it innovation.

matttye
Sep 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
I could be wrong but I think he means if Apple introduced a feature like "Smart Stay" first, before Samsung did it, the response would be quite different.

Some might even call it innovation.

Oh right. Yeah probably!

Every company has it's' fanatics, Apple just tends to be rife with theirs :p

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 06:17 PM
Speaking generally, I love new features like this. Even if it has its blind spots, like being unable to use this feature in the dark, it's still cool and a first step to improvements down the line. The whole "it doesn't work in the dark" argument is pretty irrelevant. It'd be like if I said finger print sensor is useless because it won't work if I'm wearing a glove. Both arguments are dumb. In Samsung's case, one would just keep the screen awake in the dark with their fingers normally; in Apple's case, they'd input their pin normally.

That doesn't mean either feature shouldn't exist.

matttye
Sep 28, 2013, 06:44 PM
Speaking generally, I love new features like this. Even if it has its blind spots, like being unable to use this feature in the dark, it's still cool and a first step to improvements down the line. The whole "it doesn't work in the dark" argument is pretty irrelevant. It'd be like if I said finger print sensor is useless because it won't work if I'm wearing a glove. Both arguments are dumb. In Samsung's case, one would just keep the screen awake in the dark with their fingers normally; in Apple's case, they'd input their pin normally.

That doesn't mean either feature shouldn't exist.

I agree. Some features start with a sloppy, or at least, "unrefined" implementation. These act as a base where improvements can be made.

What I could see happening is some other company using an infra red camera so that it works in the dark too :p

That is the sort of natural progression I like to see...

This is just an example though. No idea whether it's feasible.

Oohara
Sep 28, 2013, 06:58 PM
iPhone auto correct error, updated. Meant to say it is one of them.

Ah, I see lol. (And that right there is clearly one of iOS's cool features! j/k, j/k!! :D:D:D)

I agree. Some features start with a sloppy, or at least, "unrefined" implementation. These act as a base where improvements can be made.

What I could see happening is some other company using an infra red camera so that it works in the dark too :p

I actually find that it already works most of the time in the dark :cool: Surprisingly often, at least. Because of my face being lit up by the screen I guess.

matttye
Sep 28, 2013, 07:01 PM
Ah, I see lol. (And that right there is clearly one of iOS's cool features! j/k, j/k!! :D:D:D)

I actually find that it already works most of the time in the dark :cool: Surprisingly often, at least. Because of my face being lit up by the screen I guess.

I found it worked in low light but not in a dark room, even with a TV flashing.

onthecouchagain
Sep 28, 2013, 07:01 PM

Aye. And this is something all companies, including Apple, do all the time. It wasn't until iOS 7 that Siri came out of beta, for example.

matttye
Sep 28, 2013, 07:06 PM
Aye. And this is something all companies, including Apple, do all the time. It wasn't until iOS 7 that Siri came out of beta, for example.

And still has it's fair share of problems. Siri is mega fast now when it works, but a lot of people, including me, are getting an increased number of errors ATM.

Oohara
Sep 28, 2013, 07:15 PM
I found it worked in low light but not in a dark room, even with a TV flashing.

Ok I just did a thorough test: Note 2, totally dark room, lying on my back with the phone in normal reading position, e.g. over the lower part of my chest, it works. 20 cm further away or so it stops working. This is with a white background text page on the web and minimum 50% brightness, or 100% brightness with a Flipboard page mostly covered with dark photos.

Anyway, now I'm just being anal and should go to sleep instead. Sorry for semi-derail, carry on please :D

NT1440
Sep 28, 2013, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know if this feature pertains to ads in videos? I know that it can pause videos when you aren't looking at them, but in the case of youtube videos that you can't skip the ad (meaning its usually an officially sponsored video) does that mean you have to watch the whole ad because it won't play when you aren't staring at it?

:confused:

matttye
Sep 29, 2013, 03:28 AM
Does anyone know if this feature pertains to ads in videos? I know that it can pause videos when you aren't looking at them, but in the case of youtube videos that you can't skip the ad (meaning its usually an officially sponsored video) does that mean you have to watch the whole ad because it won't play when you aren't staring at it?

:confused:

I highly doubt it's intelligent enough to know when an ad is playing. You could just turn it off, presumably in the notification tray, when an ad is playing.

Eddie Bombay
Oct 2, 2013, 01:08 AM
Love this feature, didn't think I'd be using this feature but I used it all the time. Still get around 4 hours of screen time which is totally fine with me