Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
According to the interwebs Netflix has opened the new super HD up to everyone in America.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4002515

My fiber connection is more then fast enough to run it, but I dont see any movies displaying the option. Is it something that just comes on by default, or do you need to enable it.

How is the clarity for those of you who have it running?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It just shows up automatically. I watched a couple of episodes of Family Guy, season 10 today and it was in Super HD. Looked and worked great.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
look at the netflix series, they are all in super hd (orange is the new black, house of cards, hemlock grove)

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Updated to 6.0 and all is good. Looks great. All though it looked great before. Switching back to HD cable is a shock. So grainy compared to Netflix. There is something wrong with the world when the service I pay $8 per month for looks 10x better then the service I pay $150 for.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Updated to 6.0 and all is good. Looks great. All though it looked great before. Switching back to HD cable is a shock. So grainy compared to Netflix. There is something wrong with the world when the service I pay $8 per month for looks 10x better then the service I pay $150 for.

I totally agree with you there. I gave up my cable 6 months ago and been happy ever since. Anything I want to watch. I either watch it on Netflix or airplay from my MBA or iPhone to my ATV :).

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....There is something wrong with the world when the service I pay $8 per month for looks 10x better then the service I pay $150 for.
Even more wrong is paying for 200 channels you never watch and no true on demand ability (DVR is not true on demand).:eek:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Even more wrong is paying for 200 channels you never watch and no true on demand ability (DVR is not true on demand).:eek:

Yep! I just stick with Netflix and iTunes and refuse to pay for cable/satellite TV. I don't like paying for commercials and a little bit of TV programming.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yep! I just stick with Netflix and iTunes and refuse to pay for cable/satellite TV. I don't like paying for commercials and a little bit of TV programming.

I have been a cord cutter since before it was "cool" or even a noun (I think). I haven't had a phone line or cable service in almost 12 years. If only a LOT more people would cut the cord we could force content providers to seek alternate means like IP service. However the current model is SO profitable for them because people are willing to "blindly" pay huge $s for services/content that don't use.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have been a cord cutter since before it was "cool" or even a noun (I think). I haven't had a phone line or cable service in almost 12 years. If only a LOT more people would cut the cord we could force content providers to seek alternate means like IP service. However the current model is SO profitable for them because people are willing to "blindly" pay huge $s for services/content that don't use.

Yeah, you have me beat. I've been a cord cutter for about 9 years now. I don't think that term was in use then either.

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
still don't get superHD logo...

Hmm, I have ATV3, updated to 6.0, rebooted, sufficient bandwidth and I simply dont get the superHD logo on anything, just regular "HD." Anyone know if Time Warner is still a problem?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Hmm, I have ATV3, updated to 6.0, rebooted, sufficient bandwidth and I simply dont get the superHD logo on anything, just regular "HD." Anyone know if Time Warner is still a problem?

apparently they have released superHD for everyone.
I'm on time warner manhattan. I get the super HD logo (on both Roku 2-XS and aTV3), and the shows look better (no way to tell what it actually is though, could just be my imagination).

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I have Charter cable up in Michigan. I've had Netflix SuperHD for the last month or so. Top Gear and other shows look fantastic. I have noticed that both the SuperHD and Standard def shows seem to take a little longer to load though.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I have Charter cable up in Michigan. I've had Netflix SuperHD for the last month or so. Top Gear and other shows look fantastic. I have noticed that both the SuperHD and Standard def shows seem to take a little longer to load though.

Last month? There was no SuperHD before and Charter was not providing it for Netflix customer, this is just Netflix providing it SuperHD now rather going through ISPs but Netflix still wants ISPs to sign and provide SuperHD.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Last month? There was no SuperHD before and Charter was not providing it for Netflix customer, this is just Netflix providing it SuperHD now rather going through ISPs but Netflix still wants ISPs to sign and provide SuperHD.

Huh? I have high speed internet through Charter cable. Yes, shows on Netflix have been showing up SuperHD for the last three weeks or so. That would be last month. Netflix introduced SuperHD back in January but only certain providers met their network criteria. Charter must have met the criteria a few months ago.

Last edited:

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Huh? I have high speed internet through Charter cable. Yes, shows on Netflix have been showing up SuperHD for the last three weeks or so. That would be last month. Netflix introduced SuperHD back in January but only certain providers met their network criteria. Charter must have met the criteria a few months ago.

No they never did I had Apple TV since June and never saw SuperHD it was just HD icon, you must be confused. If Charter was one of the providers they would have told their customers about this since many people complained at Charter for not having it.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
No they never did I had Apple TV since June and never saw SuperHD it was just HD icon, you must be confused. If Charter was one of the providers they would have told their customers about this since many people complained at Charter for not having it.

Look, I'm not making it up. I've been watching certain shows for the past few weeks and I'm not confused. It clearly says SuperHD. That's how I first found out about it. Just because you have Charter too doesn't necessarily guarantee you will get it.
"When Super HD was introduced in January, it was available only to people whose Internet Service Providers were using Netflix's Open Connect Network, a system of servers connected to local ISPs designed to help ease Internet congestion."
Fact is it's been showing up on my Netflix for the last month. Don't know what else to tell you.

infinitech

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2012

Also wont stand for the old cable philosophy. I'll watch what I want, when I want.

Paying for the upgraded Netflix with 4 concurrent streams

Monthly subscription to Hulu Plus (Might cancel unless they do something about the commercials there too)

Transferred the landline to google voice.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Also wont stand for the old cable philosophy. I'll watch what I want, when I want.

Paying for the upgraded Netflix with 4 concurrent streams

Monthly subscription to Hulu Plus (Might cancel unless they do something about the commercials there too)

Transferred the landline to google voice.

I tried Hulu Plus during its trial period, don't recall if it was a week, 2 weeks or a month, but I canceled the trial after three days. I wasn't going to pay for commercials, even if it was only one or two per show. That's one or two too many.

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
apparently they have released superHD for everyone.
I'm on time warner manhattan. I get the super HD logo (on both Roku 2-XS and aTV3), and the shows look better (no way to tell what it actually is though, could just be my imagination).

So apparently having the third generation atv3 hardware is not enough with netflix....it actually has to be outputting 1080 to display before super hd logo will show. It's odd since home sharing or itunes 1080 playback does not care about display output. I have a 720p/1080i set and had the atv3 go 1080 into my receiver instead and have the receiver handle scaling and poof the superhd appears. So I can get around it but it shouldn't work this way. If you are going straight to 720p display from a new atv you won't have access to the higher quality stream.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
So apparently having the third generation atv3 hardware is not enough with netflix....it actually has to be outputting 1080 to display before super hd logo will show. It's odd since home sharing or itunes 1080 playback does not care about display output. I have a 720p/1080i set and had the atv3 go 1080 into my receiver instead and have the receiver handle scaling and poof the superhd appears. So I can get around it but it shouldn't work this way. If you are going straight to 720p display from a new atv you won't have access to the higher quality stream.

the superHD stream is 1080, if your box is set at 720 why should they waste the bandwidth on you to have it lost in downscaling?

osohardy

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2009
the superHD stream is 1080, if your box is set at 720 why should they waste the bandwidth on you to have it lost in downscaling?

OK, that is an old and silly argument on multiple levels. Let me waste some of my bandwidth here:

--For one I am paying for this service, nothing is wasted, nothing changes. I have a very nice 50" 720p plasma, so what? What about people with very high end 720p projectors and 10 foot screens? Is it wasted on them?
--This is a higher quality stream, quality in quality out
--Guess what is more important than resolution? Contrast, color saturation, accuracy, reduction/absence of compression artifacts like banding, blocking etc...
--I was simply reporting back that specifically netflix on ATV cares about display out resolution vs being able to simply decode and playback the stream. My bluray rips via homesharing, itunes 1080p streaming etc. DONT CARE about that and that is how it should be.
--Should I throw out all my cameras that have more than 4MP because the extra pixels will be "wasted" on my computer screen? You better throw away that new iphone too lest you dare look at an 8MP image you just took downscaled to .7MP on the screen. The horror.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.