PDA

View Full Version : Screensaver question

Ollifi
Sep 28, 2013, 11:36 AM
So I have screensaver activated. After computer has been in screensaver for some time,the screen will shutdown. BUT how could I have that the whole computer would go to sleep, not just screen shutdown ?

simon48
Sep 28, 2013, 11:40 AM
In system preferences go to energy saver.

Ollifi
Sep 28, 2013, 12:01 PM
I have mid-2013 model.It has only "Screen shutdown " option, no "System sleep" option.

simon48
Sep 28, 2013, 12:11 PM
What OS version do you have? :apple: > about this mac.

Ollifi
Sep 28, 2013, 01:04 PM

simon48
Sep 28, 2013, 03:32 PM
That's what I have too. You don't have a preference pane that looks like this? Are you on an iMac or an MacBook (Air/Pro)?

flowrider
Sep 29, 2013, 06:02 PM
^^^^The type of Mac really doesn't matter. My Mac Pro has the same preference pain, except the titles at the top are changed from Battery/Power Adapter to Power/UPS. I have a feeling the OP is looking at the Desktop and Screen Saver pane and not the Energy Saver pane.

Lou

teffers
Sep 30, 2013, 06:18 AM
I have mid-2013 model.It has only "Screen shutdown " option, no "System sleep" option.

The screen sleep option will put the system to sleep as well.

When you wake it you should see your wireless re-connect.

You can also change the settings in Terminal using the -pmset commands (check this forum for more details).

Ollifi
Sep 30, 2013, 10:26 AM
When I have Spotify playing, and then lock computer, screensaver activates, after some time, the screen shut downs, but music keeps playing. So does Spotify prevent from sleeping?

And is there any way how I could know if just the screen is sleeping? What about external power light that could be plugged in to usb for example.

Puonti
Sep 30, 2013, 11:02 AM
And is there any way how I could know if just the screen is sleeping? What about external power light that could be plugged in to usb for example.

That's one way to do it. Find a USB thumbdrive with a light that's always on when it's plugged in (and powered, obviously).

On a related note, I don't know the exact logic behind it but if I have my Kindle Paperwhite plugged into one of the USB ports on my iMac and a thumbdrive in another, I can power down the computer completely (thumbdrive light goes off) but the Mac will still charge the Kindle.

An Air probably doesn't do that because it's powered by a battery, but I figured it was good to know in case you test it with a device like a Kindle (with a charging light).

Ollifi
Sep 30, 2013, 01:13 PM
I have a USB extension cord with blue light on it ;), and it will shine always, when connected to my MBA. In full sleep, display sleep, totally shut down, and not depending if MBA is plugged in or not.

simon48
Sep 30, 2013, 02:19 PM
That's one way to do it. Find a USB thumbdrive with a light that's always on when it's plugged in (and powered, obviously).

On a related note, I don't know the exact logic behind it but if I have my Kindle Paperwhite plugged into one of the USB ports on my iMac and a thumbdrive in another, I can power down the computer completely (thumbdrive light goes off) but the Mac will still charge the Kindle.

An Air probably doesn't do that because it's powered by a battery, but I figured it was good to know in case you test it with a device like a Kindle (with a charging light).

This isn't a great test because some Apple devices will sometimes allow power to go through the USB port even when they're completely asleep so you can charge your iPhone for example. I can close the lid on my MacBook Pro and my iPod will keep charging.

Puonti
Sep 30, 2013, 11:50 PM
That's why I specifically mentioned not to use devices that make use of passthrough power and indicate it with a light (such as the Kindle).

To clarify my point, get a thumbdrive that is lit up when powered and actually seen by the OS (not merely plugged in and powered, or only when read from / written to).

That's how mine works - it doesn't light up when the computer is asleep or powered down, or if I eject it. It doesn't care if the computer provides passthrough power.

Mrbobb
Oct 1, 2013, 02:56 AM
"screen saver" is an outdated mechanism from the days or CRT displays that when left on statically, would "burn" in image on the phosphorous screen, this is no longer the case with modern LED.

Honestly these days people use a "screen saver" because you got a cute virtual fish tank you want to show off, but if you REALLY want to save your screen, simply go into your power panel and have it turn off the display after a time out. It's done.

Ollifi
Oct 2, 2013, 10:04 AM
But there is no option to turn off just display. There is only system sleep option, and that will sleep both system & screen.

Ollifi
Oct 4, 2013, 12:47 AM
I just found out solution to see if the MBA is sceen sleeping / system sleeping. I have Airserver app installed, and I can use my iPad to check if Airplay receiving is turned on ,

- in case of Display Sleep , the AirPlay receiving is available
- in case of System Sleep , the AirPlay receiving is not available
- in case of System Shutdown, -"-