Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
How many people keep the battery % in the status bar? When I had android it would have it turned off and just check intermittently. I could see what was using battery and graph usage.

There is no option like this ok iphone so I have left Olathe option turned on.

Garyx24

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
How many people keep the battery % in the status bar? When I had android it would have it turned off and just check intermittently. I could see what was using battery and graph usage.

There is no option like this ok iphone so I have left Olathe option turned on.

yea I like to know how much battery I have left

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
I might get yelled at, but if you go to settings>general>usage below manage usage you may see an option to show the battery percentage.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
Battery % in the status bar

At first I had to have it off because I'd always look at the percentage then hop into settings/general/usage and look at the stats then try to calculate, from the current stats, when my battery would hit 20%. Now, I have it on but I never go into settings/general/usage and I'm as happy as can be.

To sum it up, I like to know the number of my percentage exactly as opposed to an approximation based on the level that the meter is filled to.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I'd have it in all the time... If I could! Apple has it disabled on the iPod touch. It would be so helpful; my iPod ends up dieing everyday because I don't know how far from death it is.

I have it enabled on my iPad.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I think for me the best way to think of it is do I have battery or not. Thinking of it in a binary fashion relieves me from the worry. I don't need to think about if it's at 50% vs 70%. I have a charger at my desk at work, in my car, next to my night stand, and one on the main floor. Plus I have a 4000mAh battery pack that I can take with me. So at this point there isn't a time or place I can't charge the phone should I need to.

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC
I can definitely understand both perspectives and I've been in both camps! There's plenty to be said for us even having that choice!

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I used to keep it on, but I recently turned it off to keep my status bar minimalistic and simple! :) It's not that big of a deal to me though. I'd be fine with it turned on as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd rather know how much is left compared to guessing by the icon.
It becomes that much more useful in that respect when you are below 20% or 10% and pretty much would have to guess are you at 8% and can pretty easily still make a few calls and/or send some messages/emails or if you are at 1% and will likely have the phone turn off a minute into the next call or a few minutes into the next email/message exchange.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd have it in all the time... If I could! Apple has it disabled on the iPod touch. It would be so helpful; my iPod ends up dieing everyday because I don't know how far from death it is.

I have it enabled on my iPad.
Thats got to be one of the most arbitrary and senseless decisions to disable a feature like that pretty much for no reason for one type of iOS device. Gotta love Apple.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
The % reading actually cured my issue with worrying about battery use.

I turned it off.

Now no worrying !

I just enjoy using the phone now.

:D

Naxters

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2013
I have a % battery too on because I always like to know how many battery is left in detail on my iOS device.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Thats got to be one of the most arbitrary and senseless decisions to disable a feature like that pretty much for no reason for one type of iOS device. Gotta love Apple.

My only explanation, is that it doesn't work quite properly. I used to enable it via .plist hack, and both on my 2nd gen and 5th gen iPod touch, the number would go up and down wildly depending on my usage.

It was close enough though, to know when it was going to die....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.