PDA

View Full Version : XBMC to read macbook share?

esadb
Sep 28, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hey all, got a jailbroken apple tv and want to set it up so that I can view my shared folder on my macbook from it.

I have 2 macbooks, one running Lion and the other Mountain Lion and I cannot for the life of me access a shared folder from either machine on XBMC and I've gone into System Preferences - Sharing and turned on File sharing to the specific folder.

Can someone enlighten me what I am doing here?

priitv8
Sep 29, 2013, 04:49 AM
You need to enable sharing over SMB (Windows sharing protocol) on your Macs, IMHO.

esadb
Sep 30, 2013, 06:50 AM
You need to enable sharing over SMB (Windows sharing protocol) on your Macs, IMHO.

I did that, under Sharing I went into Options and ticked off the checkmark for SMB. I did that as the first thing..

brand
Sep 30, 2013, 10:37 AM
Have you researched your problem on the XBMC forum?

esadb
Oct 2, 2013, 07:09 PM
Have you researched your problem on the XBMC forum?

I have, that was the first place to check and I came up shorthanded. That's why I swung by in here to ask as I am sure someone else must of done it on here :)

DaveN
Oct 5, 2013, 10:19 AM
I haven't tried sharing on my Macs but it works well on my networked attached storage. I think putting the files on a networked attached storage drive is better anyway as you don't have to have your Mac running while you are watching a long movie. Basically I did this:

1) Attached my Western Digital My Book drive to the router.
2) Move my movies to a shared folder on the My Book drive
3) In XBMC go to Videos > Files and select Add Videos. Go to Browse and find your drive. For me, it is Network File System (I think). For you it may be Windows network (SMB). Once you find it and select it, you can save it and it comes up on the short list the next time you go go Videos > Files

Hope this helps.

AtomicGrog
Oct 10, 2013, 05:03 PM
You can do it over AFP, just that you have to enter the IP and share name manually.

It also works really well via FTP of yo happen to be running a ftp server.