Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Hi everybody,

Someone gave me a SE 30. It boots fine but the screen displays a black columns exactly every 8 pixels:
se30_deadColumn.jpg

Also, the sound was very weak. There was some capacitors leaks (not too serious). I replaced all capacitors and the sound went back, however, dead columns remains. I tried cleaned the ram modules. The mac comes with 2 set of 4 rams. I tried using only one of the two set in the first memory slot but this did not fix the problem.

I noticed a wire near the center of the board that bridges a chip pin with a another point:
se30_logic_board.jpg

I look around for some SE 30 pictures over the web and did not see such wire on other board.

Any idea is welcome!

Last edited:

tdiaz

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2006
Swap the SIMMs around. See if the issue moves.
Or the machine crashes. It's supposed to check RAM on startup, I find that doesn't always detect bad RAM.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Check around the capacitor circled for etched tracks (they'll look black).

Also check tracks from the 4 74F253s have continuity to somewhere. These are the multiplexers for the video RAM. Broken/etched tracks to these 4 could be the problem, caused when C7 leaked.

It's also possible that one of these tracks goes underneath C7.

The prototyping wire might be a fix not present on all boards OR a factory repair for a bad track.

Attachments

• se30_logic_board Video Address.jpg
    se30_logic_board Video Address.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 254

Enric

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Fixed!

Fixed! thanks for advices.

It was quite tricky figuring out where the tracks go underneath the chips. I first identified the good ones, which allowed me to deduce the bad one.

mac se 30 bad track_s.png

Fixed it with with a quite thick wire. I am not a pro at soldering but I improve myself...

mac se 30 logic board fixed_s.JPG

And here it is!

shuffle_puck_s.JPG

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Fixed! thanks for advices.

It was quite tricky figuring out where the tracks go underneath the chips. I first identified the good ones, which allowed me to deduce the bad one.

Fixed it with with a quite thick wire. I am not a pro at soldering but I improve myself...

And here it is!

View attachment 438877

Pretty good job if you ask me!

Shuffle Puck Cafe! ;)

Well done! :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.