PDA

View Full Version : Good idea to buy repaired, used PowerBooks?

ozone
Dec 1, 2005, 03:05 PM
I'm seeing a lot more used 3rd or 4th generation PowerBooks for sale. Is it better to buy one that is used and in "excellent" condition, or one that is covered by AppleCare but has been repaired.

1. If it's excellent and never needed repair - and even if it has AppleCare - then it should still be fine (maybe it wasn't a lemon); OR
2. If it's had to be repaired, then the parts that would have broken down have already been replaced by new components (e.g., logic board, optical drive) and so I should be more worry-free for that much longer.

Any comments?

mad jew
Dec 1, 2005, 04:02 PM
Tricky question because it's really up to the individual. It may be easier if you find some specific PowerBooks you want us to compare for you. :)

ozone
Dec 1, 2005, 04:19 PM
Good point. I'm looking at the 17" PowerBooks, ranging from the 1.33 GHz to the 1.5 GHz to the 1.67 GHz models.

mad jew
Dec 1, 2005, 04:26 PM
Okay, well what I kinda meant was post links to actual machines you've found on eBay (or wherever) and we can pick them apart, telling you which would be better.

Generally speaking, I'd probably go for a computer that had always been in excellent condition rather than one that had been repaired but I hate making generalisations when there are so many variables. For example, if the repair was simply replacing a bad battery, then I wouldn't see that as a bad thing at all. :)

Macky-Mac
Dec 1, 2005, 05:17 PM
either way, you have a certain amount of risk.....and even if you buy new there's always a chance you might get a lemon just as either a refurb or a used machine could have an exexpected problem

if you're worried about it then maybe you're best off buying the refurb that's covered by applecare.....that way you're covered if something does go wrong

discoforce
Dec 1, 2005, 06:00 PM
either way, you have a certain amount of risk.....and even if you buy new there's always a chance you might get a lemon just as either a refurb or a used machine could have an exexpected problem

if you're worried about it then maybe you're best off buying the refurb that's covered by applecare.....that way you're covered if something does go wrong

I love my refurb 15 AL Powerbook, and it's been going strong for 1.5 years :D

Okay it had that white-spot issue and took several replacement screens to fix it, but that happened with all the new ones too... :rolleyes:

ozone
Dec 1, 2005, 08:29 PM
Okay, well what I kinda meant was post links to actual machines you've found on eBay (or wherever) and we can pick them apart, telling you which would be better.

Generally speaking, I'd probably go for a computer that had always been in excellent condition rather than one that had been repaired but I hate making generalisations when there are so many variables. For example, if the repair was simply replacing a bad battery, then I wouldn't see that as a bad thing at all. :)

Okay... here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5834671335&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

And here's the other:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5833726641&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

What do you seasoned Mac experts think?