PDA

View Full Version : MBA battery only lasting 4 hours

dperel15
Sep 30, 2013, 12:20 AM
MBA 2013 (newest model), 13 inch, 4gb ram, 128gb SSD is only holding battery charge for 4 hours.

It used to hold the charge for 12+ hours (sometimes got 13 hours out of it!) but now it is only lasting for 4 hours or less after a full charge. I've had this laptop for about 2 months and have 20 charging cycles registered in system profiler.

I am running mavericks DP8 (12 hr charge was realized on DP5,6,7,8) and do pretty standard web browsing. iTunes, mail, calendar, and iMessage running in the background. I checked system profiler, condition of battery is "Normal" and checked activity monitor and the only app using significant power is safari (app nap is enabled therefore other apps using very little power).

Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

Nightarchaon
Sep 30, 2013, 03:36 AM
Safari can be a power hog, try uninstalling/disabling Flash player as a 1st step (i uninstalled it completely from my MacBook Pro and the battery life gain was a substantial 2hrs +, this could be a bigger gain on the lower spec CPU in an Air)

Either that or make sure you CLOSE safari, don't "nap" it, some things like scripts on a page, a flash or Java advert etc etc, can keep it "awake" processor intensive and therefore chewing battery life.

Failing that, Roll back to Mountain lion, if the problem persists at that point, get it into an apple store for a replacement, "could" be a faulty battery, but my best guess "bet" is on FlashPlayer and Safari

DisplacedMic
Sep 30, 2013, 05:25 AM
MBA 2013 (newest model), 13 inch, 4gb ram, 128gb SSD is only holding battery charge for 4 hours.

It used to hold the charge for 12+ hours (sometimes got 13 hours out of it!) but now it is only lasting for 4 hours or less after a full charge. I've had this laptop for about 2 months and have 20 charging cycles registered in system profiler.

I am running mavericks DP8 (12 hr charge was realized on DP5,6,7,8) and do pretty standard web browsing. iTunes, mail, calendar, and iMessage running in the background. I checked system profiler, condition of battery is "Normal" and checked activity monitor and the only app using significant power is safari (app nap is enabled therefore other apps using very little power).

Anyone know what this could be?

Thanks

you're using a beta version of the OS?

dperel15
Sep 30, 2013, 06:54 AM
Safari can be a power hog, try uninstalling/disabling Flash player as a 1st step (i uninstalled it completely from my MacBook Pro and the battery life gain was a substantial 2hrs +, this could be a bigger gain on the lower spec CPU in an Air)

Either that or make sure you CLOSE safari, don't "nap" it, some things like scripts on a page, a flash or Java advert etc etc, can keep it "awake" processor intensive and therefore chewing battery life.

Failing that, Roll back to Mountain lion, if the problem persists at that point, get it into an apple store for a replacement, "could" be a faulty battery, but my best guess "bet" is on FlashPlayer and Safari

thanks ill give those options a shot. reverting back to mountain lion is definitely something i was thinking about!

----------

you're using a beta version of the OS?

yes i'm using developer preview 8

dperel15
Sep 30, 2013, 07:57 AM
the more research i do, the more it seems like the problem is safari/flash player plugin. "safari web content" in activity monitor takes over 100% CPU (between 100 and 120%). however, i don't know whether this is actually normal or not. i usually have several tabs open (10+) but am only keeping 2 open for now to see if it'll make a difference

dperel15
Sep 30, 2013, 08:44 AM
problem persists..... any other options? my last resort is to go back to mountain lion....
thanks

gavinstubbs09
Sep 30, 2013, 09:38 AM
My MBA (2012, bought on sale right after WWDC 2013) and with Mavericks DP8 my battery life is just crap. But at idle, @ 93% it says I have 7:40 remaining and that is with chrome open.

Really hope Mavericks GM is much improved over DP8 like iOS 7 was from the betas to GM.

dperel15
Sep 30, 2013, 09:39 AM
it seems like my battery was also WAY too hot (90 degrees). the 100% CPU usage by safari is something that throws me off. installed google chrome, quit safari, and im back at 10hr battery life. i already feel my computer cooling down.
i'm a big fan of safari however and would like to be able to use it again. when i go to activity monitor, the culprit seems to be "Safari web content (Not Responding)" and hogging up all cpu power.

Any solutions to resolve this would be great, at least i can say with certainty that that's the problem.

chabig
Sep 30, 2013, 09:40 AM
problem persists..... any other options? my last resort is to go back to mountain lion....
thanks

That's not your last resort. Your first option should be to uninstall Flash.

GGJstudios
Sep 30, 2013, 09:42 AM
the more research i do, the more it seems like the problem is safari/flash player plugin. "safari web content" in activity monitor takes over 100% CPU (between 100 and 120%). however, i don't know whether this is actually normal or not. i usually have several tabs open (10+) but am only keeping 2 open for now to see if it'll make a difference
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.  The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

dperel15
Sep 30, 2013, 10:18 AM
That's not your last resort. Your first option should be to uninstall Flash.

thanks chabig, it seems though that flash isn't the problem. like i said, now using chrome and the battery is back to normal and the computer is MUCH cooler. weird. i didn't have this problem with safari before. 100% charged with 11:46 remaining, makes sense now!

chabig
Sep 30, 2013, 10:47 AM
Glad to hear that. So maybe it's a Safari issue for you that will be fixed in the final release.

flowrider
Sep 30, 2013, 10:49 AM
Glad you narrowed it down. But, who would have thought that Apple's browser could be such a power hog:eek:

Lou

Nightarchaon
Oct 1, 2013, 03:11 AM
Glad you narrowed it down. But, who would have thought that Apple's browser could be such a power hog:eek:

Lou

Its almost as bad as IE on windows , Chrome of Firefox, in that order, and having flash un-installed are the best way to increase battery life, and keep the system cool.

Something in the safari code is letting it, or its plugins, or java, or flash runaway with the CPU cycles, making for a hot, battery draining, slowed system due to CPU thermal cut off.

ApplNat
Oct 1, 2013, 10:00 AM
I'm having a somewhat similar problem.

I used to show 12 to 13 hours on a full charge. My Mac is now 15 weeks old (2013, 13", 256gb, 8GB RAM). Right now it's at 98% charge and showing just over 9 hours.

Brightness is set to 3. That's pretty dark.

Browser: Firefox, with 10 tabs open

Safari is NOT open at all. It's not snoozed...it is not running (yes, I checked).

No IM programs running.

Dropbox is never allowed to stay running (yes I check).

The drop in battery life has occurred over the last few weeks. It was excellent and then it started dropping.

Don't know the reason for it, but I'm displeased because it's supposed to get 12 hrs with very little running.

ritmomundo
Oct 1, 2013, 11:13 AM
ClickToFlash (Safari plugin).

hindmost
Oct 1, 2013, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=dperel15;18043895]MBA 2013 (newest model), 13 inch, 4gb ram, 128gb SSD is only holding battery charge for 4 hours.

==========================================

I have a 13 inch, 8gb ram, 512gb SSD and had exactly the same problem.

I read dozens of comments in 'Apple Discussions' about the 'black screen of death'...many guessed it was caused by Google Chrome. But no real correlation there. Finally, I checked my Battery status. 'BATTERY SERVICE' needed. Ah..ha! My month old 48 cycle battery was kaput. Took the MacBook Air into the local genius bar....they had to send away for a battery. Went home broke the news to the key user (daughter). She and my wife raised holy hell with Apple on the phone and after a long, long conversation Apple agreed to take back the computer and send us a new one. I thank Apple for that.

I do wish I could warn Apple though that whichever contractor is providing batteries for this model may have SERIOUS issues meeting the key selling point of the MBA...that being a state-of-the-art long service battery.

So, in a word...YES....I had the same issues as you. Oh, and just for the interest of the readers I had a Samsung display, Samsung RAM and a Samsung SSD. For whatever that may be worth. I don't care so much about that as I am HOPING the next MBA just works.
:mad:

dperel15
Oct 1, 2013, 02:18 PM
ClickToFlash (Safari plugin).

that plugin is part of safari 7 (i think) and is automatically launched when on battery.

i'm now using chrome, 15 tabs open, streaming music from itunes match, mail, calendar, dropbox, and imessage open, 99% battery and 9hrs remaining....seems to have fixed the issue. i was still hoping to get 11+hrs given that it's only 8-10 weeks old. maybe it's because of the heavy usage.

ritmomundo
Oct 1, 2013, 03:34 PM
that plugin is part of safari 7 (i think) and is automatically launched when on battery.

No it's not. I'm not sure what you're thinking of.

dperel15
Oct 1, 2013, 04:08 PM
No it's not. I'm not sure what you're thinking of.

not sure what you are talking about either...

UPDATE: 2 hours later, 80% remaining and 8:42 remaining on battery. If you do the math seems legit. don't use safari i guess!

GGJstudios
Oct 1, 2013, 05:44 PM
That's not true. ClickToFlash (http://hoyois.github.io/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/) is a 3rd party plugin or extension that is not part of Safari. If installed and activated, it launches with Safari, whether on battery or AC power.

ritmomundo
Oct 2, 2013, 03:28 AM
not sure what you are talking about either...
You could've just googled it instead of being snarky.
That's not true. ClickToFlash (http://hoyois.github.io/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/) is a 3rd party plugin or extension that is not part of Safari. If installed and activated, it launches with Safari, whether on battery or AC power.
Thank you GGJstudios.

zepman
Oct 2, 2013, 03:50 AM
I think dperel is confusing the new feature "Safari Power Saver (http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/advanced-technologies.html)" with Click to flash.

jonasdamn
Oct 2, 2013, 01:23 PM
After two months owning MBA 2013 13" i have done battery callibration two days ago. Charged fully and needed to discharge it to 0%. What i can say that damn it didnt want to die. Watched two films (4 hours in total), watched a lot of youtube videos, surfing the net, email, office documents editing, radio via itunes and usage took 11 hours and 5 minutes.
For me so far no problems with battery, try to check what processes drains your battery or try to reinstall os x

GGJstudios
Oct 2, 2013, 02:06 PM
After two months owning MBA 2013 13" i have done battery callibration two days ago. Charged fully and needed to discharge it to 0%.
Simply discharging and recharging isn't the same thing as calibration. Also, the built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490) like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.  The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it. Apple Notebook Battery FAQ (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9875442&postcount=23)

mmomega
Oct 2, 2013, 06:44 PM
I can go an entire day + some on my MBA but my wife can kill her 15" retina + mine within a few hours.

How?

Flash based games and videos.

We can sit in the living room with full charged laptops and I'll be at 70% and she's asking for the charger.
Reverse it and on her Retina I can be at 60-65% and my MBA will be dead.

Her and those damn Facebook games.:p

dperel15
Oct 2, 2013, 11:16 PM
You could've just googled it instead of being snarky.

Thank you GGJstudios.

lol sorry bud didn't mean to offend you or anything. googled it and couldn't find it.

----------

I think dperel is confusing the new feature "Safari Power Saver (http://www.apple.com/osx/preview/advanced-technologies.html)" with Click to flash.

yes, that is what i meant.

GGJstudios
Oct 3, 2013, 09:16 AM
yes, that is what i meant.
The Safari Power Saver doesn't work the same way ClickToFlash does. SPS only pauses media on tabs or windows that aren't active. ClickToFlash can prevent Flash content from playing at all, even on the active window/tab.