Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a report from identity and brand consulting company Interbrand, Apple has overtaken Coca-Cola as the new most valuable brand in the world, knocking the beverage corporation from its 13-year tenure in the annual "Best Global Brands" survey, reports The New York Times.

brands_2013.png
Every so often, a company changes our lives, not just with its products, but also with its ethos. This is why, following Coca-Cola's 13-year run at the top of Best Global Brands, Interbrand has a new #1--Apple. Few brands have enabled so many people to do so much so easily, which is why Apple has legions of adoring fans, as evidenced by the record-breaking launch of the iPhone 5c/5s. For revolutionizing the way we work, play, and communicate--and for mastering the ability to surprise and delight--Apple has set a high bar for aesthetics, simplicity, and ease of use that all other tech brands are now expected to match, and that Apple itself is expected to continually exceed.

From our perspective, Apple's internal brand strength has remained steady. CEO Tim Cook has assembled a solid team that is aligned around the Apple vision, which has allowed them to deliver against the promise time and time again. There's been a lot of change at the top in the last 12 months, but the alignment of both hardware and software design under Jonathan Ive is a major step toward maintaining focus. A shrewd move, perhaps, given the stiffer than ever competition over the last 12 months: Samsung is now the world's most profitable smartphone manufacturer, Google has expanded Android and its maps still seem to be the "preferred" route, and Windows Phone 8 certainly raised more than a few eyebrows.
The survey, which has been done since 2000, saw Apple come in at the second most valuable brand in the world in 2011, ahead of technology companies such as IBM, Google, and Microsoft. This year, Apple bested Google who is now the current runner-up to the most valuable brand in the world, and is also ahead of rival Samsung, which moved up to #8 from #9 in last year's survey.

Apple has made significant updates to much of its product line this year, including the recently released iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c, with the company announcing that it sold a record 9 million iPhones during the products' launch weekend. The company also claimed that 200 million iOS devices are running the new iOS 7 mobile operating system, making it the fastest software upgrade in history.

Article Link: Apple Tops Coca-Cola, Google to Become World's Most Valuable Brand

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
YEAH IBM!!

The brand everyone knows but knows nothing about, not sure how they manage this :confused:

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Google shouldn't be that high. People use it because Bing and Yahoo! suck and because Google's search is awesome, not because they like the brand. Similarly, Toyota ought to be up there ;)

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
LOL at calling the iPhone 5S a "significant upgrade". There's a reason it's not called the iPhone 6.

And who the hell is "Interbrand" to declare how valuable a brand is? I could have made this list too; their methodology is completely subjective and I have a bridge to sell to anyone who thinks that brand value can actually be quantified in dollars. This is either a total publicity stunt to troll the fanboys, or Apple and other companies paid them to get higher on the list. Either way, it's a sham that doesn't deserve one second of anyone's attention.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
IBM ranked higher than Microsoft.
That seems strange.

Nice that Apple is #1!

The world's most valuable company is not in the top-10: Exxon Mobil.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Who would ever have thought that Apple, the company that has single handedly changed the way humanity interacts with computers would ever beat a company that makes sugared water. I'm impressed.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
But... I thought Apple was doomed? :confused:

Headlines:

Has the Apple Lost Its Shine?

Apple #1 Brand - But Will It Improve Lackluster Sales?

:p

Nothing like fiction when it comes to media and trolls. I see someone's already here trolling about the iPhone 5s' major hardware advances which must "not count" for some unknown reason :D

And trolling about Interbrand without any facts on the company. Hey, fiction's better anyway!

Like the analysts who predicted 5 million opening sales of the new iPhones, and when Apple nearly doubled that, they weren't wrong... Apple was! Somehow...

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Wait, I thought Apple had been the world's most valuable company for about a year now. I'm pretty sure this was reported ages ago.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Is it just me or does that mobile site have a real Windows Phone look about it? Especially with the animated tiles and such.

imagemwm.jpg

Excellent performance from Apple.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Maybe it is because less people are drinking coca cola or eating Maccas while using their macs, maybe Googles rise is because of the number hits they have for Apple products or maybe it is because Apples are healthy for you , I heard too much coke is the no 1 cause of obesity :p

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
Google shouldn't be that high. People use it because Bing and Yahoo! suck and because Google's search is awesome, not because they like the brand. Similarly, Toyota ought to be up there ;)
Google has a lot more than just a search engine! Android and YouTube are both owned and developed by Google, and they have a million other projects as well.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
IBM number 4? That tells me how credible this survey is, I'd love to see a survey of 100 people and I would bet that none of them know what IBM does, most would probably say build pcs lol.

Grats apple, but this interbrand mob.... Should we even care?? Really IBM 4... He he

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.