PDA

View Full Version : Advice on purchasing a MacBook Air

Jajaloo
Sep 30, 2013, 08:47 AM
Hi guys,

long time lurker, first time poster. I was hoping to draw on some advice from the great minds of this forum!

I was thinking of buying a 13" MacBook Air this week. For the standard price, I can get Apple TV for free with it. But the deal is only on for a short time.

My question is whether do you think I should wait until the October Apple Announcement to see if a new MacBook Air will come out?

Do you think I should buy my MacBook Air now, as I will get Apple TV thrown in and be able to use it from this week, or should I just wait for the Apple Announcement and that way I'll be able to get a machine with Mavericks loaded onto it and I won't have to bother with purchasing and installing it. However, if I wait, I won't be able to get the free Apple TV.

First world problems. But still. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies! :D

justinf77
Sep 30, 2013, 09:09 AM
Get the Air now. I just bought one last week and it's an incredible machine. There's almost no chance of refreshed Macbook Airs coming out in October.

HIMAN1998
Sep 30, 2013, 09:11 AM
Air was updated earlier this year with Haswell processors, little to no chance of update next month. Do it with 8GB RAM, as it isn't upgradable later on.

gavinstubbs09
Sep 30, 2013, 09:34 AM
They updated them in June with the latest Haswell CPUs. So buy it now as they most likely won't be updated again until WWDC 2014. Just make sure you get more SSD space than Ram. I ran out of space so quick on mine.

flowrider
Sep 30, 2013, 09:50 AM
+4.

Lou

Weaselboy
Sep 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
Do you think I should buy my MacBook Air now, as I will get Apple TV thrown in and be able to use it from this week, or should I just wait for the Apple Announcement and that way I'll be able to get a machine with Mavericks loaded onto it and I won't have to bother with purchasing and installing it. However, if I wait, I won't be able to get the free Apple TV.

As others said, the MBA was just updated so it is very unlikely there will be a change there at the presumed October Apple event.

As far as Mavericks goes, when Mountain Lion came out there was a "Up to Date" program where if you bought a Mac within the last six weeks you got a free code to update. I assume the same will happen this year with Mavs, so you should be in good shape there. You would still need to do the DL and install though.