Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purplekush604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Hey guys as the title says, i just rooted my fido galaxy s4. I came from a jailbroken ipnone 4s, and am a compete noob!
Will the automatic updates effect the rooting?
Do i need custom recovery? If so, which one?

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Hey guys as the title says, i just rooted my fido galaxy s4. I came from a jailbroken ipnone 4s, and am a compete noob!
Will the automatic updates effect the rooting?
Do i need custom recovery? If so, which one?

Thanks

What do you "want" to achieve ?

Rooting allows certain things, and yes it stops OTA updates, and updates via Kies. Though you can simply unroot is superuser app with one click.

If you are looking to put a custom recovery - these are used for installing ROMs - then I'd suggest Philz recovery as it seems to work better for me in the past.

I've actually stopped now though as novelty has worn off of flashing ROMs. Especially after latest security update causes havok for me with a lot of stock ROMs failing to get past the ABOOT section of ODIN or ROMs now failing to have either WiFi or Sound.

Thankfully I found a very recent unbranded stock ROM which I could flash with everything working, but to be honest the stress that evening when I realised my previously working ROMs were now somehow fecked was not worth going through, so I'm now on latest Touchwiz.

Just be aware flashing part is easy - but if it goes wrong or an update (last Samsung update changed Linux status in the about section to enforcing - which I think must be the cause of my problems) it can leave you flustered and without a fully working handset if you can't get a fully working stock ROM to roll back to.

If your really keen on going forward, head over to XDA. But be aware its a pretty big learning curve and folks tend not to be the most helpful to new flashers over there.

purplekush604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
What do you "want" to achieve ?

Rooting allows certain things, and yes it stops OTA updates, and updates via Kies. Though you can simply unroot is superuser app with one click.

If you are looking to put a custom recovery - these are used for installing ROMs - then I'd suggest Philz recovery as it seems to work better for me in the past.

I've actually stopped now though as novelty has worn off of flashing ROMs. Especially after latest security update causes havok for me with a lot of stock ROMs failing to get past the ABOOT section of ODIN or ROMs now failing to have either WiFi or Sound.

Thankfully I found a very recent unbranded stock ROM which I could flash with everything working, but to be honest the stress that evening when I realised my previously working ROMs were now somehow fecked was not worth going through, so I'm now on latest Touchwiz.

Just be aware flashing part is easy - but if it goes wrong or an update (last Samsung update changed Linux status in the about section to enforcing - which I think must be the cause of my problems) it can leave you flustered and without a fully working handset if you can't get a fully working stock ROM to roll back to.

If your really keen on going forward, head over to XDA. But be aware its a pretty big learning curve and folks tend not to be the most helpful to new flashers over there.

Thanks for the reply. Honestly i'm a little confused with what i want. Just came from a jailbroken 4s.
Are roms just widgets?
I definitely want a custom recovery, i was thinking of going with the one that comes in the rom manager app, clockworkmod.. What are you're thoughts on it?
I would like to stop auto updates, I hate how i cant set my screen lock pin to come on every 5 mins, rather than every time i press the power button. I would also like to get a camera "widget" on my lock screen that goes to the camera quickly as possible for quick photo shots.

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thanks for the reply. Honestly i'm a little confused with what i want. Just came from a jailbroken 4s.
Are roms just widgets?
I definitely want a custom recovery, i was thinking of going with the one that comes in the rom manager app, clockworkmod.. What are you're thoughts on it?
I would like to stop auto updates, I hate how i cant set my screen lock pin to come on every 5 mins, rather than every time i press the power button. I would also like to get a camera "widget" on my lock screen that goes to the camera quickly as possible for quick photo shots.

Thanks

You do not need to root or put a custom recovery for any of what you want.

A ROM is not a widget but the entire Operating System

Custom Recovery is only needed to flash said ROMs. Otherwise it serves no purpose.

Widgets are in plentiful supply on the play store.

If you want to turn off auto-updates you can do so in the play store for your downloaded applications, and if you don't want to be bugged about software updates regarding the Operating System, simply go into applications management in settings, then go to all apps. Scroll down to Google Services Framework, click on it and untick show notifications.

As for lock screen, sadly widgets / shortcuts are not available with pin lock - only with swipe lock. But you can change the pin lock time by simply changing the screen timeout in display settings. Every time your screen tines out after 5 additional seconds the pin lock will kick in.

----------

Adaway is one of the best reasons to root
https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/org.adaway

Yep there is nothing like begrudging developers ad revenue so that they are actually paid for their hard work developing an app and offering it free on the app store. Heaven forbid anyone with a conscience would want to pay a developer to unlock the ad free version if they were going to use the app regularly....;)

/s. Sarcasm - but I do strongly believe in paying for an app if you don't want ads. We have $500 + phones, I don't see a valid argument to deprive a developer of the $1 for an app.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Hey I have paid apps. Its no ads in the browser that is so nice. But yes fair enough someone has to get mad, but the user experience is wonderful.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I avoid rooting my S4 because there's not much I'd want to do with rooting anyway and it's a constant battle to avoid Samsung detecting rooting and invalidating warranty.

The latest issue seems to be an e-fuse indicating "knox warranty status" - https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/ZKuMQ3fNzuN
If Chainfire can't figure out a way round it, there probably isn't one!

Once my warranty has expired, I may root it, but until then, I'm keeping it stock

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I avoid rooting my S4 because there's not much I'd want to do with rooting anyway and it's a constant battle to avoid Samsung detecting rooting and invalidating warranty.

The latest issue seems to be an e-fuse indicating "knox warranty status" - https://plus.google.com/+Chainfire/posts/ZKuMQ3fNzuN
If Chainfire can't figure out a way round it, there probably isn't one!

Once my warranty has expired, I may root it, but until then, I'm keeping it stock

Damn, that's some brutal stuff - fair enough, interesting read.
Knox is not on the GE.

purplekush604

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
You do not need to root or put a custom recovery for any of what you want.

A ROM is not a widget but the entire Operating System

Custom Recovery is only needed to flash said ROMs. Otherwise it serves no purpose.

Widgets are in plentiful supply on the play store.

If you want to turn off auto-updates you can do so in the play store for your downloaded applications, and if you don't want to be bugged about software updates regarding the Operating System, simply go into applications management in settings, then go to all apps. Scroll down to Google Services Framework, click on it and untick show notifications.

As for lock screen, sadly widgets / shortcuts are not available with pin lock - only with swipe lock. But you can change the pin lock time by simply changing the screen timeout in display settings. Every time your screen tines out after 5 additional seconds the pin lock will kick in.

----------

Yep there is nothing like begrudging developers ad revenue so that they are actually paid for their hard work developing an app and offering it free on the app store. Heaven forbid anyone with a conscience would want to pay a developer to unlock the ad free version if they were going to use the app regularly....;)

/s. Sarcasm - but I do strongly believe in paying for an app if you don't want ads. We have $500 + phones, I don't see a valid argument to deprive a developer of the $1 for an app.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone. Maybe i really didn't need to root it than. What about recording phone conversations? I like how the old nokias would always do it, but than i went over to apple and it was never allowed. As far as auto updates, i was mainly talking about the os software updates; how exactly do i get into the "all apps" option?
As for the lock screen option, if i take the pin off, what is the best security app to lock every other option on my phone, such as the settings app or even mail?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.