Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Hi,
As far as I understand, the Mac mini headphone port also serves as a S/PDIF output. Am I correct?
If so, what equipment do I need to take advantage of this S/PDIF? Do I need to get
a decoder? Any kind of special cable...
Sorry I don't know so much of digital audio.

TIA :)

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
Your understanding is incorrect. That output is mini-toslink optical. You can get an adapter for coaxial S/PDIF but I've never heard one that doesn't compromise the sound at least somewhat. Some are horrible.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just wondering....

What are you trying to connect _to_?

What kind of inputs does it have?

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
It is so funny to see gold plated optical cables. Black plastic does not oxide either and nothing has to conduct electricity. I just use a basic black cable for 3$.

cyber16

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2013
The metal helps keep the plastic tip from damage to a point, that's all :)
Going the tip route only allows you to use ANY optical cable

MacPC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
thank you all for the replies. I understand the cable part.

So I need a amplifier with a toslink input, from there I can hook up to my speakers, right?

Also does the amplifier have to have 5.1 or 7.1 output? and does this setup make any different if I only watch Netflix or Hulu movies online? Right now I only have a pair of
decent powered speakers, it sounds fine. I wonder if it's worth to spend the money to use S/PDIF.

Thanks again.

jwhazel

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
>So I need a amplifier with a toslink input, from there I can hook up to my speakers, right?
Correct

>Also does the amplifier have to have 5.1 or 7.1 output?
No. SPDIF carries 2ch just fine.

>and does this setup make any different if I only watch Netflix or Hulu movies online? Right now I only have a pair of decent powered speakers, it sounds fine.
Then it won't make any difference. SPDIF makes connecting multi-channel easier (1 cable instead of 6 analog ones for 5.1 channel).

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Most amps these days have a toslink input.

I've used it on my mac mini and my Yamaha receiver which is probably 10 years old.

While it's great for music and movies, it doesn't work well for playing virtual instruments in Logic or Garageband because there's a bit of extra latency-- though that is most certainly the fault of my Yamaha receiver buffering and decoding the signal.

I could probably buy a newer receiver and lower my latency, but instead I just got a nice thick shielded coax 1/8" to RCA analog cable from monoprice. I just have a 2.1 channel setup anyway on my mini.

t2stone

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2013
It is so funny to see gold plated optical cables. Black plastic does not oxide either and nothing has to conduct electricity. I just use a basic black cable for 3$.

There are those cool optical cables that don't use glass so they aren't near as fragile. But I agree. I also have a hoot when I see silver and gold plated USB/HDMI/etc cables and they try to tell the consumer that 'these look/sound so much better'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.