PDA

View Full Version : 128 GB Toshiba SSD Dead @ 15 Months (MBA 2012) - SSD Replaced

henryonapple
Oct 1, 2013, 03:43 AM
Hi Everyone,

So my MBA started having issues in mid August and finally stopped working in early September. I took it to the Apple Genius Bar and they immediately determined the problem.

Cause of death - 128 GB Toshiba SSD with Sandforce.

I was quoted a cost of $280 to have it repaired by Apple's 3rd party repair center, but decided to purchase the OWC Aura Pro. I know it too uses the infamous Sandforce Controller, but OWC does offer a 3 year warranty.

The installation went buttery smooth, and my MBA is alive and kicking again. But the real question is, for how long.....

Attached are pictures of the install.

*EDIT* For all of us having this problem, please click on this link so Apple becomes aware of our problem:
http://www.change.org/petitions/apple-inc-macbook-air-2012-replacement-for-failed-toshiba-ssd

clyde2801
Oct 1, 2013, 07:30 AM
Keep the receipts and an eye on tech news. I can't believe an attorney hasn't brought a class action against Apple and/or Toshiba for using these parts and not standing behind them.

cyber16
Oct 1, 2013, 07:47 AM
Yes hang onto that old Toshiba drive as well as it may be worth $'s to prove it went bad and you just did not upgrade

gavinstubbs09
Oct 1, 2013, 09:41 AM
Good ol 'Toshitta. Next time mine fails and I'm out of warranty I'm doing what you did.

henryonapple
Oct 1, 2013, 11:31 AM
Keep the receipts and an eye on tech news. I can't believe an attorney hasn't brought a class action against Apple and/or Toshiba for using these parts and not standing behind them.

We should bring on the lawsuit ourselves!!! I tried to get a petition going on here, but MacRumors apparently considers that soliciting :(

Bombay
Oct 1, 2013, 11:43 AM
These drives seem to be failing about a year after we first got our MBAs. There will only be more and more and more people with toshiba ssd failures in the near future.

henryonapple
Oct 1, 2013, 12:51 PM
These drives seem to be failing about a year after we first got our MBAs. There will only be more and more and more people with toshiba ssd failures in the near future.

that is true, what we need to do is band together and let apple know!

henryonapple
Oct 1, 2013, 03:10 PM
Yes hang onto that old Toshiba drive as well as it may be worth $'s to prove it went bad and you just did not upgrade

yes everyone should hang on to their old parts, I think Apple will do a replacement a few years from now.

fenneberg
Oct 1, 2013, 04:47 PM

One wonders why some of the hot-shot editors on the many tech-magazines has yet to get on to this story :cool:

henryonapple
Oct 1, 2013, 05:39 PM
One wonders why some of the hot-shot editors on the many tech-magazines has yet to get on to this story :cool:

or tech blog sites :rolleyes:

henryonapple
Oct 2, 2013, 01:54 PM
Good ol 'Toshitta. Next time mine fails and I'm out of warranty I'm doing what you did.

how much did Apple charge you for repair?

gavinstubbs09
Oct 2, 2013, 05:58 PM
how much did Apple charge you for repair?

I bought my MBA in June right after WWDC cause they were on closeout. The repair was free and Apple over-nighted me a box to ship out to them and then when it was fixed they over-nighted it back to me.

henryonapple
Oct 8, 2013, 04:01 PM
I bought my MBA in June right after WWDC cause they were on closeout. The repair was free and Apple over-nighted me a box to ship out to them and then when it was fixed they over-nighted it back to me.

does your warranty reset to another year?

gavinstubbs09
Oct 8, 2013, 06:51 PM

What happens is I still have a the rest of what my warranty is now (so however many months until June 2014). In California, they made it a law so if my MBA was out 10 days (like it was) I get 10 days of warranty coverage added on from when I bought the MBA.

Mr Rabbit
Oct 9, 2013, 01:51 PM

Standard repair warranty is either 90 days or the remainder of the existing warranty (AppleCare), whichever is longer.

The petition is a nice thought but I have to add my 2 cents.

Apple has a track record of working with their manufacturers (Toshiba in this case, NVIDIA is a well known one from the 2007'ish MacBook Pros) to provide repair extension programs (REPs) for affected Macs that fall outside of their warranty. Sometimes these are longer than the original AppleCare period, sometimes they end at 3 years from purchase, it varies. I find it VERY hard to believe that Apple isn't working on something like this behind the scenes IF this truly is a widespread issue. I've mentioned several times that I have around 15 or so of these under my administration at work and have yet to see this issue. I recently polled 2 of my Genius friends (I'm an ex-Genius, they trust me and usually give me a straight answer) as well and they have only seen maybe 2 - 3 of these over the past several months. You absolutely cannot gauge how widespread a problem is based on message boards. The front line of service (Genius, AppleCare phone support, AASP technicians) get a better idea but even then they only see a relatively small percentage of Macs. ONLY Apple has the ability to see the an accurate percentage of failures. If you've worked with Apple for many years then you will likely trust that if they see a high enough percentage (25% or more is my guess) of failures then they will release an REP once an agreement is made with the manufacturer. Apple's not one to issue "Hey guys, we know there's a problem with this very specific configuration, we'll work something out in a few months" updates though.

The wording of the petition bothers me. Apple in no way owes anyone a replacement MacBook Air based solely on this failure. Should they replace the affected component at no cost and maybe issue an REP? Maybe so, as this would be the fair thing to do if they are seeing widespread failure.

Again though, keep in mind percentages. 1,000 message board posters have experienced this? Well that's only 1% of 100,000 MacBook Airs. Just tossing those numbers out, clearly they aren't accurate portrayals but hoping they lend some perspective from Apple's end. 1% isn't widespread. 25% is getting a lot closer to widespread.

edit:
And this isn't me being a jerk, the long time technician in me has to mention it when I see DIY repairs. I hope the Mac's battery was disconnected and you were grounded while performing the repair. Those are the two steps I prioritize when working with any Mac portable, out of warranty or not. ESD damage is a real concern and could lead to further issues if proper grounding wasn't utilized. Just a heads up for anyone looking to replace their own SSDs or perform other repairs.

noneother
Oct 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
Same here... Happened today.

----------

Same here... Happened today.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1638297&page=3

Nero Wolfe
Oct 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
Same thing happened to me a week ago. I replaced my SSD with the exact same part from OWC. Working perfectly so far...

I signed your petition. I'm definitely saving my expired Toshiba SSD in case something comes of this in the future.

henryonapple
Oct 15, 2013, 04:05 PM
Same thing happened to me a week ago. I replaced my SSD with the exact same part from OWC. Working perfectly so far...

I signed your petition. I'm definitely saving my expired Toshiba SSD in case something comes of this in the future.

thank you for your support!

kage207
Oct 15, 2013, 09:46 PM
I really hope it doesn't happen to mine. I really don't have the money to buy a new HDD.

*Knocks on wood*

minder02
Oct 16, 2013, 07:04 AM
Hello everyone, I used to hang out here with another ID but since the SSD of my mid2012 failed I cannot find or remember the password (that's the why of my new ID).
Anyway the SSD is dead and here in Argentina the repair service (Apple authorized reseller and repairs) told me that I need to wait 8 months or more for the new SSD.
They "wisely" advised me to make travel arrangements to the US or Chile or Uruguay for a faster service.
Yeah, I know, they are comedians.
So, my question here is, how long usually takes an Apple Tech in the US to repair such laptop.
Mine's got an AppleCare valid until july 2015.
Thanks for any input

MrGimper
Oct 16, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hello everyone, I used to hang out here with another ID but since the SSD of my mid2012 failed I cannot find or remember the password (that's the why of my new ID).
Anyway the SSD is dead and here in Argentina the repair service (Apple authorized reseller and repairs) told me that I need to wait 8 months or more for the new SSD.
They "wisely" advised me to make travel arrangements to the US or Chile or Uruguay for a faster service.
Yeah, I know, they are comedians.
So, my question here is, how long usually takes an Apple Tech in the US to repair such laptop.
Mine's got an AppleCare valid until july 2015.
Thanks for any input

I would contact Apple and strongly insist that, if they can't repair your machine by replacing the SSD, they replace your entire machine.

8 months wait .... sorry but feck that, totally unacceptable.

henryonapple
Oct 16, 2013, 11:26 AM
I really hope it doesn't happen to mine. I really don't have the money to buy a new HDD.

*Knocks on wood*

I hope it doesn't happen to you too! but all of these threads popping up recently do not make your chances look good.

Dookieman
Oct 16, 2013, 01:29 PM
Is there a terminal command that I can use to see if my 2013 MBA 128GB has a Toshiba SSD?

tutaina
Oct 16, 2013, 06:39 PM
mine died two days ago..im extremely sad and dissapointed. I cant buy a new ssd since im a student.

kage207
Oct 16, 2013, 07:10 PM
I hope it doesn't happen to you too! but all of these threads popping up recently do not make your chances look good.
Meh, I'm always skeptic until Apple actually acknowledges it or it happens.
*knocks on wood harder*

Weaselboy
Oct 17, 2013, 09:00 AM
Is there a terminal command that I can use to see if my 2013 MBA 128GB has a Toshiba SSD?

Click on About This Mac
Click on More Info....
Click on System Report
Click on Sata/SataExpress
Look for the Model number...

SMxxxx will be Samsung and TSxxxxx will be Toshiba.

flowrider
Oct 17, 2013, 10:09 AM

I used the search function and found this:

Look at System Information, under Storage - If the entry for APPLE SSD is followed by SM, then it's the Samsung, if it's followed by TS then it's the Toshiba.

Lou

Lou

request
Nov 9, 2013, 06:37 AM
My less than 10 months old new Mac air stop working two weeks ago.
I took my computer to authorized center and they told me SSD need to get replace. But they did not tell me why.
After two weeks to find out that Apple knew about problem with Toshiba SSD for last few years and still use the part from them to SAVE money for them. I have found post not just here but else where in Internet that many other owners suffer failure of Toshiba SSD. Anyone with Samsung SSD with your notebook are going to be fine. This maybe the reason new Mac air has Samsung SSD and not Toshiba junk. I contact Apple customer relation and they didn't care to do anything but just annoy you to death. I think this is a trend how Apple is going to be. Sell junk and make quick cash. Authorized dealer told me Apple has send the part Wed., but still not here, however when I ask this question to Apple, they couldn't tell me when they shipped it or tracking number or method of shipment. Not only that Apple try to blame on Authorized center that they didn't request part until last Friday. I took my computer last week on Monday and talk to tech on Tuesday and he told me he order the part Tuesday.
What makes me mad is that Apple knew about problem with Toshiba SSD last year yet they still sold faulty product this year. To me this is unethical business practice because those people like who was't aware of anything lost all files in one second. I didn't back up. :(
Not only that, even under the warranty Apple did not fix my computer, yet!
Two weeks.... and still nothing, as if Fedex man are now to blame for slow delivery and I am suppose to believe that.
This is a class action case against APPLE.
1. Apple knew about faulty Toshiba SSD last year.
2. Apple knew about faulty Toshiba SSD that 's why they have now new Mac Air that has Samsung SSD, not only for extend battery times.
3. When you recall faulty product that disable you to use the product you fix them right away, but Apple did not purchase enough Samsung SSD part to even handle recall and so many customers are with no computer to work with.

I have seen many class action case in my life, if any lawyer want to do this, this will make him or her famous, because I know this will win the case.

Those who is getting new SSD, make sure you get Samsung SSD, other wise another Toshiba SSD will fail. Toshiba didn't seem to fix their SSD because this problem has been around for past two three years. I also read that early Mac air had Samsung SSD so they are not affected but when Apple decide to make more money they use Toshiba SSD on just Mac Air. This is why Mac pro is not affected, they have Samsung SSD.

I am disappointed with Apple authorized center, because they did not explain about Toshiba SSD and only thing they told me was a bad batch..... try to hide the truth?
Well, I got enough information on the web by reading so now I know what happen and this is all Apple's fault selling faulty products. :mad:

macrappy
Nov 14, 2013, 08:22 AM
Of course it happened 3 weeks after my year warranty was up. They have figured out this planned obsolescence problem they were having, by building computers with faulty components and timing seems impeccable for everyone but Mac owners.

If no one has started a class action for this issue I will, so just let me know.

vigorito
Nov 15, 2013, 06:24 AM
is there any chance that i can see which ssd is in macbook air mid 2013 without opening a box?

Weaselboy
Nov 15, 2013, 10:59 AM
is there any chance that i can see which ssd is in macbook air mid 2013 without opening a box?

No... you would need to start the machine and look in System Report to see what brand you have. Although none of the 2013 models use the same Toshiba flash storage device being discussed here with the 2012 models, so if that is your worry, don't sweat it. :)

kingtj
Nov 15, 2013, 12:03 PM
I can tell you this much; We purchased the OWC 512GB SSD as an upgrade for one of our 2010 Macbook Airs, and it only lasted about 7 months before it completely died. OWC promptly RMA'd it for a replacement, but that one only lasted 2-3 months before it failed too.

I think there's an underlying quality problem with the chips used to construct these drives, personally. Not all SSDs are made equal. Do a Google search sometime to see the huge number of complaints about defective OCZ branded SSDs, for example. They have a pathetically high rate of RMA, and it's getting so bad, there's talk the company may soon be going under.

Weaselboy
Nov 15, 2013, 12:32 PM
I can tell you this much; We purchased the OWC 512GB SSD as an upgrade for one of our 2010 Macbook Airs, and it only lasted about 7 months before it completely died. OWC promptly RMA'd it for a replacement, but that one only lasted 2-3 months before it failed too.

I think there's an underlying quality problem with the chips used to construct these drives, personally. Not all SSDs are made equal. Do a Google search sometime to see the huge number of complaints about defective OCZ branded SSDs, for example. They have a pathetically high rate of RMA, and it's getting so bad, there's talk the company may soon be going under.

The common element with the Toshiba drive in these failing Airs and the OWC drives is the Sandforce controller they both use. I suspect it will be a long time before you see another Sandforce controller in an Apple product.

HarryWarden
Nov 15, 2013, 03:08 PM
Of course it happened 3 weeks after my year warranty was up. They have figured out this planned obsolescence problem they were having, by building computers with faulty components and timing seems impeccable for everyone but Mac owners.

If no one has started a class action for this issue I will, so just let me know.

Do it. This is getting absurd. I've been waiting since October 25 for my SSD to be replaced and still no call that the replacement is in. Apple's CS response to this problem has been rather awful. It shouldn't take this long to get a replacement drive.

2bcool2
Nov 18, 2013, 10:06 AM
i have a 2012 macbook air.
i ran the firmware update so i could upgrade to mavericks.
it came back with a pop up saying
: your ssd drive has a fault. bring it in to apple to have the drive replaced.
I rang apple, they said take it to my local apple rseller to replace.
i left it there then same day got a email saying pick it up, we managed to fix the fault with a software fix.

i called apple to say i wanted a new sad as i didnt have any faith in this faulty one and that the pop up had said apple would replace it.

the guy from apple was rude and agresive with me on the phone saying it cant be replaced accept the repair, and aslo saying if the ssd fails and i loose my data then its my fault for not backing up.

i took my complaint higher but had to work hard to get them to agree to replace my sad with guess what, another ssd of the same model number,
so this one could be bad too.

i thought if thats the only option id have to take it.
apple wanted me to agree that i am not entitled to their "if it takes longer than 2 weeks to fix your mac you get a new one" policy ...
which i did not accept.

i was then told by the repair shop that it could take 3 weeks or more until they get the replacement part in, but heres the kicker, i couldnt just collect my macbook and then bring it in when apple have sent the part to the repair shop, oh no .. id have to leave it with them until its fixed otherwise they have to close the case ... originally when i brought my air in for replacement, the shop said it would take 2 days, but because of apple red tape .. at least 3 weeks

what do you guys think?
when it comes to data on ssd i dont want to take any chances with faulty known toshiba units

i am not happy at the way apple have acted in all this,

if i was the company I would say yes ill replace the ssd with a different model soon as i can, no "well it could take a long time over 3 weeks" bull *****

thebrobrah
Nov 18, 2013, 12:13 PM
Click on About This Mac
Click on More Info....
Click on System Report
Click on Sata/SataExpress
Look for the Model number...

SMxxxx will be Samsung and TSxxxxx will be Toshiba.