PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone tempted by the Galaxy Note 3?

MattMJB0188
Oct 1, 2013, 02:02 PM
I'm a new iPhone 5S owner. Got it launch day, no problems, but nearly two weeks later it just feels like an iPhone 5 on steroids. I won't return it but I am already board with it. Guess the wow factor wore off early. Wore off on my 4S about 3 months after I got it.

Anyone else tempted by the Note 3? Yes it's big, that's the point. That and a gorgeous display.

user-name-here
Oct 1, 2013, 02:03 PM
Is anyone tempted by the Galaxy Note 3?

**** no!

I value one handed operation too much for phablets.

The iPhone 5s quality materials and iOS are also reasons I'm not tempted by the Note 3 in the slightest.

Namji
Oct 1, 2013, 02:06 PM
I'm a new iPhone 5S owner. Got it launch day, no problems, but nearly two weeks later it just feels like an iPhone 5 on steroids. I won't return it but I am already board with it. Guess the wow factor wore off early. Wore off on my 4S about 3 months after I got it.

Anyone else tempted by the Note 3? Yes it's big, that's the point. That and a gorgeous display.

What do you want from a phone to "wow" you??

Dave245
Oct 1, 2013, 02:09 PM
Noooo, after owning the Samsung Galaxy S4, I will never buy another Samsung mobile again.

user-name-here
Oct 1, 2013, 02:10 PM
What do you want from a phone to "wow" you??

Agreed. I don't look for that new toy feeling when I purchase phones anymore. Of course I like having the new abilities the latest version offers but I find those who get bored quickly just want a new toy to play around with.

Realistiic
Oct 1, 2013, 02:11 PM
No chance!

cynics
Oct 1, 2013, 02:11 PM
While I like the device I don't think I could deal with its size in day to day use. So no, not that tempting to me.

After using a friends S4 I was blown away by the screen. So something that size is more tempting to me.

afinch1992
Oct 1, 2013, 02:12 PM

Had a note 2 (GS2 before that) and I probably will never go back. Yes, the screen was amazing, but I found myself sacrificing basic usability (sheer size holding and typing) for a larger screen. Not to mention, the iphone is just a cleaner, classier looking device to me

edit: do miss the spectacular battery life though

MattMJB0188
Oct 1, 2013, 02:12 PM
**** no!

The iPhone 5s quality materials and iOS are also reasons I'm not tempted by the Note 3 in the slightest.

I never understood this lame argument. I had no trouble using the S3, S4, and Note 2 one handed. And when the next iPhone is 5" I'm just gonna laugh.

blarivee
Oct 1, 2013, 02:13 PM
Nope. Samsung is known for churning out new devices and ignores updating their older devices. Besides that thing is too big to fit in one's pockets.

alent1234
Oct 1, 2013, 02:13 PM
i have a work galaxy s3
no, i'm not tempted. classic samsung to hype dozens of features and most of them barely work or are useless

Iphone5preorder
Oct 1, 2013, 02:15 PM
Nope. Done the whole galaxy thing and it's a waste of energy.

Apple products work. That's all I want.

user-name-here
Oct 1, 2013, 02:16 PM
I never understood this lame argument. I had no trouble using the S3, S4, and Note 2 one handed. And when the next iPhone is 5" I'm just gonna laugh.

Ah, so you had no trouble using a Note 2 one handed. Right :rolleyes:

Go ahead and make a youtube video of this then where you aren't shuffling your hand around like crazy trying to pull down the notification area at the top of the screen and then pushing the home button at the bottom after.

I'll be waiting with baited breath :D

barkomatic
Oct 1, 2013, 02:16 PM
No, Samsung is a dishonest company. They just got burned for faking their benchmark tests on the galaxy note 3. Other Android phones I'm tempted by--but never Samsung.

yanki01
Oct 1, 2013, 02:17 PM
nope.

GALAGA
Oct 1, 2013, 02:18 PM

HELL NO! :D:apple:

I just smashed my samsung phone as soon as I got the iphone5S.

coworkers here has the all the samsung S and every single day something is wrong with it.

cynics
Oct 1, 2013, 02:19 PM
Nope. Samsung is known for churning out new devices and ignores updating their older devices. Besides that thing is too big to fit in one's pockets.

Are they? I think the Galaxy S2 is on jelly bean. Puts it on par with Apples/iOS updates does it not?

I don't really keep up with Android too much anymore but my old Xoom (Motorola) has jelly bean.

nefan65
Oct 1, 2013, 02:20 PM
No, not a fan of Samsung really. I did have a chance to look at the Moto-X. Nice looking phone, and very close to stock Android. I also liked the feel of the HTC One. Both just got an update to fix some camera issues, and they now both take some pretty decent photos.

I may consider whatever new non-iPhone might be out next year, when I'm eligible for an upgrade to my 5. However, if Apple offers a slightly larger 6, I'd probably stay put. We'll see...

supermassive
Oct 1, 2013, 02:20 PM
If size matters, maybe you should try this:

http://www.marcush.de/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/70udlcd.jpg

It's also a Samsung, and i bet it even runs android!

SamTheeGeek
Oct 1, 2013, 02:22 PM
Im not a samsung fan at all when it comes to mobiles but i was thinking of getting the Sony xperia ultra z it looks amazing + sonys bravia engine with triluminos technology and x reality display man its full of display crispiness hehe but i can't let go of IOS, it is connected to all my mac computers and icloud is just outstanding!

Waiting for my 5s hehe

doboy
Oct 1, 2013, 02:24 PM
I currently have a Note II and I'm more tempted by the gold iPhone 5S than the Note 3. After using an oversized phone for awhile I'm now ready for the iPhone again.

Pompiliu
Oct 1, 2013, 02:24 PM
Nope, i hate samsung.

kerrikins
Oct 1, 2013, 02:26 PM

How about the concept of different sized hands? Seriously, it's not that difficult to understand...

Anyway, not tempted at all. Way too big. Only model I've been tempted by is the HTC One.

alent1234
Oct 1, 2013, 02:26 PM
note 3 is a galaxy s4 with a bigger screen, not much difference over the S4

pojo1806
Oct 1, 2013, 02:30 PM
I was originally but when I saw the 5S there was no competition :)

blueroom
Oct 1, 2013, 02:31 PM
I like Samsung hardware, but like Sony they seem to pull their software engineers off a product the moment it's out of beta.

Apple on the other hand gives you about 3 years of constant software updates on their products.

cube
Oct 1, 2013, 02:34 PM
Given that it's 16:9, maybe it fits in a shirt pocket. I have to check.

Jordan921
Oct 1, 2013, 02:35 PM
Don't think I could ever get used to using a mobile device that big.

tobefirst
Oct 1, 2013, 02:36 PM
I was tempted. This spring, I figured I'd be deciding between the Note 3 and the iPhone 5S, and was actually leaning toward going with the Note 3.

Then, the last few months, the battery on my Galaxy S3 has been terrible. Sprint said that there wasn't anything wrong with the battery and that it was in good health. No amount of reformatting or adjusting settings would fix it. If I didn't kill any apps after I was done using them, they just sucked the battery dry. Being my first Android, I don't know if this was something I was doing wrong or what, but I didn't want to chance that happening again.

So far, the battery on my 5S has been great. MUCH better than my GS3, I assume because of the way iOS handles background apps vs. the way Android does.

I loved a lot about Android (especially the vanilla-ish Android I installed), but definitely not power management.

itsmemuffins
Oct 1, 2013, 02:37 PM
After owning the Samsung Ativ S the answer is a definit;

Nyet Comrade!

So glad to be back with iOS and the loverly 5s. :D

cynics
Oct 1, 2013, 02:37 PM
I like Samsung hardware, but like Sony they seem to pull their software engineers off a product the moment it's out of beta.

Apple on the other hand gives you about 3 years of constant software updates on their products.

Like I mentioned which devices are you referring too? Seems like the S2 having Jelly Bean is on par with Apple updates.

Can't say it will stay like that but seems like decent support to me.

linsam
Oct 1, 2013, 02:49 PM
I currently have a Note II and I'm more tempted by the gold iPhone 5S than the Note 3. After using an oversized phone for awhile I'm now ready for the iPhone again.

I totally understand your post. I have used a Note 2 since December, but just bought a 5S this past Saturday. The Note 2 is an amazing device and I am sure the Note 3 will be awesome as well. However, I also got tired of having an over sized phone. Now that I am back to using an iPhone, again, I could not be happier. :)

ReallyBigFeet
Oct 1, 2013, 02:53 PM
I have one on pre-order and expect it soon, but I have no intention of dropping my iPhone. I have specific use cases in mind for the Note 3 and if it performs, it will be a device I carry into the field as my business phone, while my iPhone becomes my personal smartphone.

The size actually plays into my use case....couldn't do this with something as small as an iPhone 5/5S. Maybe the 6, but more likely a retina iPad Mini is what I really need/want.

As for size of the thing for phone use, I use a bluetooth headset anyways, so no big deal there. It will just stay in my pocket/bag when I'm mobile.

lique831
Oct 1, 2013, 02:54 PM
Nope. I just came from the Note 2 and don't miss it at all.

kenknotts
Oct 1, 2013, 02:56 PM
I never understood this lame argument. I had no trouble using the S3, S4, and Note 2 one handed.

You can hold the Note 2 in one hand and reach the bottom of the screen and then all the way to the top to drag the notification bar? You must have the longest thumb in the history of mankind. I would have to adjust my grip several times to reach the top and then the bottom of the screen. Playing hand gymnastics like that makes for an uncomfortable time and more prone to you dropping your phone. The Note 3 has an even larger screen, no way you are using it fully with one hand and your thumb without fumbling around with it. But if thats your thing, have fun. The fun factor will end after a few weeks and then you are left with a gigantic phone thats uncomfortable to use unless you can two hand it all the time and its even more uncomfortable to carry around in your pocket.

user-name-here
Oct 1, 2013, 03:05 PM
You can hold the Note 2 in one hand and reach the bottom of the screen and then all the way to the top to drag the notification bar? You must have the longest thumb in the history of mankind. I would have to adjust my grip several times to reach the top and then the bottom of the screen. Playing hand gymnastics like that makes for an uncomfortable time and more prone to you dropping your phone. The Note 3 has an even larger screen, no way you are using it fully with one hand and your thumb without fumbling around with it. But if thats your thing, have fun. The fun factor will end after a few weeks and then you are left with a gigantic phone thats uncomfortable to use unless you can two hand it all the time and its even more uncomfortable to carry around in your pocket.

Thank you :)

You put it much better than I could have.

Glad others out there get it.

cube
Oct 1, 2013, 03:17 PM
**** no!

And I don't use a touchscreen phone one handed.

Lame excuse for not making a big phone.

user-name-here
Oct 1, 2013, 03:18 PM
And I don't use a touchscreen phone one handed.

A lot of people (myself included) do.

cube
Oct 1, 2013, 03:19 PM
A lot of people (myself included) do.

And a lot of people use both hands.

user-name-here
Oct 1, 2013, 03:23 PM

Not saying they don't, but the OP asked if people were tempted by the Note 3. I said I am not as I value one handed operation, as do a lot of other customers, so it's a valid response and reason for us customers to stick with a smaller screen.

cube
Oct 1, 2013, 03:28 PM
Not saying they don't, but the OP asked if people were tempted by the Note 3. I said I am not as I value one handed operation, as do a lot of other customers, so it's a valid response and reason for us customers to stick with a smaller screen.

I'm sorry, but you never know who is just parroting the Apple RDF here.

user-name-here
Oct 1, 2013, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry, but you never know who is just parroting the Apple RDF here.

No worries, I'm just happy to have discussions with you and others regardless :)

The field has probably had an effect on me at one time or another though :o just not on the kool-aid atm.

F123D
Oct 1, 2013, 05:40 PM

http://zowchow.com/files/2013/01/steve-jobs-using-iphone.jpg

Mr. Jobs agrees.

thecurryman
Oct 1, 2013, 08:20 PM
yeah, im selling my gold 5s to get the note 3 on friday. And no im not kidding or being sarcastic. The note just offers more productivity to me than the iphone and a much longer battery life

mellofello
Oct 1, 2013, 08:32 PM
Eagerly anticipating my preorder note 3. Played with the 5s for a few minutes today. Had to swing by starbucks for a americano after. Meh ios7 is nice. Few cool little features here, and there. The thing is tiny though after using my note 2 for 6 months. 4 inches isn't even a option for me anymore. The iphone could have a core i7 processor , with 2 SLI GPUa, and a full frame dslr folded up in it, and I still wouldn't want it. Too small.

Once apple comes out with the big iphone I will consider switching back. For now the crown of ultimate phone is on the note 3.

If tiny phones are your thing more power to you. Trust me though having all that real estate on your screen for activities is mighty nice.

Cnasty
Oct 1, 2013, 08:35 PM
Its like the bat signal goes up for Samsung hate the moment someone mentions another device over an iPhone up in here and they come running to the chum like great whites.

Its very entertaining.

kenknotts
Oct 2, 2013, 12:00 AM
yeah, im selling my gold 5s to get the note 3 on friday. And no im not kidding or being sarcastic. The note just offers more productivity to me than the iphone and a much longer battery life

Even in a year, your gold iPhone will be worth twice what the Note 3 will be. The Note's value will drop next month when the next big Android phone comes out. Make sure you get a lot for it though, they are still selling for over a grand. The battery life is not longer either. Look at the Note 3 thread, users are getting 3-5 hours usage. I get over 6 on my 5s. The bigger battery is canceled out by the much larger and full 1080p display.

mellofello
Oct 2, 2013, 12:06 AM
Even in a year, your gold iPhone will be worth twice what the Note 3 will be. The Note's value will drop next month when the next big Android phone comes out. Make sure you get a lot for it though, they are still selling for over a grand. The battery life is not longer either. Look at the Note 3 thread, users are getting 3-5 hours usage. I get over 6 on my 5s. The bigger battery is canceled out by the much larger and full 1080p display.

Lol note 2s are still $4-500 phones on craigslist out here, and the guy with the first note 3 posted 6+ hours of screen time.

kenknotts
Oct 2, 2013, 12:41 AM
Lol note 2s are still $4-500 phones on craigslist out here, and the guy with the first note 3 posted 6+ hours of screen time.

Wow, where do you live? They are going $275-$350 out here in southern California. I had a hell of a time even getting $400 for my 3 month old S4.

thecurryman
Oct 2, 2013, 04:41 PM

well apple has a weird way of measuring "usage"... On the note 3 thread ive seen between 5-6 hours of on screen time whereas my iphone 5s gets about 7 hours of "usage". However, that usage is not just screen on time but also when the phone is being used without the screen (ie: music). Battery life so far seems on par with the note 2.

Ive seen how much the gold is going and its ridiculous! Hopefully I can get enough to even make my note 3 purchase free!

kenknotts
Oct 2, 2013, 04:54 PM
well apple has a weird way of measuring "usage"... On the note 3 thread ive seen between 5-6 hours of on screen time whereas my iphone 5s gets about 7 hours of "usage". However, that usage is not just screen on time but also when the phone is being used without the screen (ie: music). Battery life so far seems on par with the note 2.

Ive seen how much the gold is going and its ridiculous! Hopefully I can get enough to even make my note 3 purchase free!

True. I got 6hrs 8mins I believe it was and all but about 15 minutes of phone calls were screen time. Web browsing, texts, emails, games and navigation.

The Game 161
Oct 2, 2013, 05:05 PM

No I get 5-6 hours easily on my note 3...hasn't been below 5 hours screen time.its also done differently to how apple does usage.

TacticalDesire
Oct 2, 2013, 06:30 PM
I have large hands (can cover a normal dinner plate and palm a basketball) and even for me I'm not sure I'd like the Note 3 so much after seeing and handling the Note 2. Around the house and in and out of meetings I can see its place but for my every day life I just don't see how it fits in. No pun intended. For me a 4.7 inch screen is the sweet spot. I'm even fine with 5.

I've actually considered buying one of the Samsung Galaxy Mega devices but I'd likely never use them as a daily driver.

CEmajr
Oct 2, 2013, 06:34 PM

In what world? They don't even sell for that much on Ebay.

coldjeanzzz
Oct 2, 2013, 10:56 PM
I would be embarrassed to use that thing in public

The Game 161
Oct 2, 2013, 11:15 PM

Would be embarrassing to use such a tiny screen but hey that's just me ;)

Djlild7hina
Oct 2, 2013, 11:35 PM
I haven't received my 5s yet but I'm still debating. If I had a iOS device, I probably wouldn't bother with getting the 5s. The Note 3 is pretty dang tempting except the bootloader is locked on AT&T and I need international language support.

Savor
Oct 2, 2013, 11:38 PM
Yes, and I'm no Samsung fan to begin with.

The only Samsung product in my house is a laundry washer. My DVD-R player and Samsung Focus are long gone. I find Samsung to be a bit generic and hate their current design language. I have Samsung product catalog in my condo. Almost every one of their smartphones looks the same. Galaxy S4, Note II, Grand, Mega, Win, Core, S Duos, et cetera et cetera. But the Note 3 seems like an exception. On the front, it looks more like the Note 1 but with a bigger screen but narrower. And they removed that hyperglaze back from the Note II with put a faux leather one which is a dream to hold if you ever owned a BB Bold 9000. I like it and do have some Note 3 lust and envy for it. I'm also starting to want a bigger screen too for better texting, browsing, and viewing content packed with a larger battery.

Easier to get bored, dizzy, or even headaches after trying out iOS7. Welcome to the Tim Cook era where lack of attention to detail and Apple's working environment is much happier, lax, and friendlier now that SJ and Forstall are gone. This is could be 1985-1997 all over again for Apple. Luckily, Apple locked up so many users with their ecosystem that the ship wont sink anytime soon. And it has 3rd party apps to HIDE the many flaws and restrictions of iOS to keep them afloat.

I think 2013 might be the first time in a very long time that Apple released two UGLY looking products in the same year - iOS7 and iPhone 5c.

It took me awhile to accept Android was a better OS and eventually I came to realize it is. And now I believe Android is the better-looking OS after iOS7. Cross fingers and hope Apple doesnt keep that design for the next six years.

Apple is no longer the Apple that Steve Jobs helped built and rebuilt.

F123D
Oct 3, 2013, 12:49 AM

I know how you feel. I'd be embarrassed if I had to use one of these in public as well.

http://cdn.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2013/09/iphone_5c_case_yellow_on_green_hero.jpg?itok=v4NYpHId

rhinosrcool
Oct 3, 2013, 12:57 AM
I know how you feel. I'd be embarrassed if I had to use one of these in public as well.

Image (http://cdn.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2013/09/iphone_5c_case_yellow_on_green_hero.jpg?itok=v4NYpHId)

Too funny. Did Cook and Ive have a bet that with so many fanbois they could make a butt ugly case and millions would still buy it? I guarantee that if any other tech co made that case, the isheep would ridicule it to no end.

The Game 161
Oct 3, 2013, 01:11 AM
Too funny. Did Cook and Ive have a bet that with so many fanbois they could make a butt ugly case and millions would still buy it? I guarantee that if any other tech co made that case, the isheep would ridicule it to no end.

If anybody made such a minor upgrade such as Iphone 5 to 5S not that many would be crazy enough to upgrade..the power of apple.

rhinosrcool
Oct 3, 2013, 01:35 AM
If anybody made such a minor upgrade such as Iphone 5 to 5S not that many would be crazy enough to upgrade..the power of apple.

So true. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the new iPads. Either a retina mini or a slimmed down 5 would be nice. Either would compliment my Galaxy Note 8 and my future Note 3. My iPad 2 is either going to a friend or ebay.

IFRIT
Oct 3, 2013, 01:45 AM

No they aren't you're thinking of HTC.

The Game 161
Oct 3, 2013, 01:46 AM
So true. To be honest, I'm looking forward to the new iPads. Either a retina mini or a slimmed down 5 would be nice. Either would compliment my Galaxy Note 8 and my future Note 3. My iPad 2 is either going to a friend or ebay.

Before people blast me for that comment..It's a great device and worth getting but not if you have an iphone 5.

I have an ipad 2 but thinking about getting note 10.1 2014 or maybe the 12.2 if it comes out. Will consider the new ipad but I do like the drag and drop features of the note and the multitasking features you don't get on the ipad..will see.

I just want a great screen for my tablet.

IFRIT
Oct 3, 2013, 01:47 AM

What are you talking about Samsung are very good at keeping there devices updated.

Woodcrest64
Oct 3, 2013, 02:50 AM
I am tempted but I'm leaning towards the HTC One now. I'm concerned about the large size for running while listening to music.

kenknotts
Oct 3, 2013, 05:05 AM

They upgraded the processor, camera and added features to the OS. Same exact thing Samsung does from model to model....plus, you are assuming everyone upgrading owns a 5 which is nowhere close to accurate. Most are upgrading from a 4s or older. Big difference between the 4s and 5s.

The Game 161
Oct 3, 2013, 05:15 AM
They upgraded the processor, camera and added features to the OS. Same exact thing Samsung does from model to model....plus, you are assuming everyone upgrading owns a 5 which is nowhere close to accurate. Most are upgrading from a 4s or older. Big difference between the 4s and 5s.

I said upgrading from an iphone 5! yes it is a great upgrade from anybody from a 4-4S.

It was upgraded but an updated processor and a finger scanner isn't worth upgrading...not even close.

itsmemuffins
Oct 3, 2013, 05:22 AM
Once you buy a Samsung phone, you never buy another... Samsung phone.

But once you buy an iPhone, you always go back to the iPhone. ALWAYS!

MUAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!

kenknotts
Oct 3, 2013, 05:22 AM
I said upgrading from an iphone 5! yes it is a great upgrade from anybody from a 4-4S.

It was upgraded but an updated processor and a finger scanner isn't worth upgrading...not even close.

So how is an S4 a worthy upgrade to an S3 or a Note 3 from a Note 2 when all they have done is upgraded the processor, camera and made tweaks to the OS? Same thing Apple did from the 5 to 5s

The Game 161
Oct 3, 2013, 05:25 AM
So how is an S4 a worthy upgrade to an S3 or a Note 3 from a Note 2 when all they have done is upgraded the processor, camera and made tweaks to the OS? Same thing Apple did from the 5 to 5s

You kidding right? those upgrades were far more than just an upgraded processor and better camera. They actually added very good features and a full HD screen display and made the screen bigger.

The note 2 to the note 3 has been a clear improvement in all areas. The iphone has looked the same for the past 3 years.

Spacial
Oct 3, 2013, 05:25 AM
I never understood this lame argument.

It's the often repeated refrain spoken by those who are stuck with a tiny demure phone.

F123D
Oct 3, 2013, 05:58 AM

Note 2 to Note 3:

Increased screen size

Increased pixel density

Increased ram

Increased storage

Increased battery

Decreased the size

Decreased the weight

And still have the option for expandable storage via microsd and replaceable battery.

Yeah, exactly the same thing as the iPhone.

mclld
Oct 3, 2013, 09:30 AM
Once you buy a Samsung phone, you never buy another... Samsung phone.

But once you buy an iPhone, you always go back to the iPhone. ALWAYS!

MUAHAAAAHAAAAAA!!!!!

Not true, my last three phones have been Samsung

maximus96
Oct 3, 2013, 09:56 AM
here's what I use to pull down the notification bar without reaching all the way to the top,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_kkkPQB4ylo#t=29

i also prefer using this app to pull up the multitasking list instead of press-and-hold the home button

maximus96
Oct 3, 2013, 10:07 AM

Image (http://cdn.imore.com/sites/imore.com/files/styles/large/public/field/image/2013/09/iphone_5c_case_yellow_on_green_hero.jpg?itok=v4NYpHId)

clearly the deliberate display of "non" on the back of this ugly thing is an inside joke right? no way apple just let this one slip by because they usually consider everything down to the tiniest of details. therefore this nonsense must be intentional, right?

Shanghaichica
Oct 3, 2013, 10:28 AM
Note 2 to Note 3:

Increased screen size

Increased pixel density

Increased ram

Increased storage

Increased battery

Decreased the size

Decreased the weight

And still have the option for expandable storage via microsd and replaceable battery.

Yeah, exactly the same thing as the iPhone.

Increased the screen resolution too.

Improvements to multi tasking

S-pen upgrade

4K video recording.

kenknotts
Oct 3, 2013, 11:11 AM
You kidding right? those upgrades were far more than just an upgraded processor and better camera. They actually added very good features and a full HD screen display and made the screen bigger.

The note 2 to the note 3 has been a clear improvement in all areas. The iphone has looked the same for the past 3 years.

How does the 4s look like the 5s? Its not even the same size lol. Full HD displays on a display that small is completely pointless, like megapixel counts on phone cameras with tiny image sensors. Love how spec chasers keep falling for these marketing gimmicks though :)

maximus96
Oct 3, 2013, 11:23 AM
How does the 4s look like the 5s? Its not even the same size lol. Full HD displays on a display that small is completely pointless, like megapixel counts on phone cameras with tiny image sensors. Love how spec chasers keep falling for these marketing gimmicks though :)

yes full HD is completely pointless until apple puts it on the iphone6, then it will unapologetically renovate the whole industry, amirite? lets not forget that anything over 3.5" screen was also pointless as 3.5" was the "perfect size"...then 4" became the new perfect...

IFRIT
Oct 3, 2013, 11:35 AM

The upgrade to full HD screen does make a difference on a 6" screen and also high mega pixel count probably does not mean better quality pictures on a phone it does mean a picture can be blown up more without it going pixelated.

kenknotts
Oct 3, 2013, 01:21 PM
yes full HD is completely pointless until apple puts it on the iphone6, then it will unapologetically renovate the whole industry, amirite? lets not forget that anything over 3.5" screen was also pointless as 3.5" was the "perfect size"...then 4" became the new perfect...

Is that really different than any other company? Look at when Android phones were 4 inch and 4.2 inch and everyone thought they were just perfect! Who would ever want a 4.7 inch or a 5 inch screen?! OMG! That would just be too big! Yet here we are a mere two years later and people swear like anything less than 5 inches is just too small and 5 inches is the new perfect :rolleyes: Same can be said for processors. The Android world was blown away with dual core processors and 1GB of RAM. Like OMG! My desktop computer has a dual core and 1GB of RAM! Why would we never need anything more? This is perfect! Yet here we are two years later with OCTOcore phones and 3GB of RAM. Another useless gimmick by the way since Android apps dont even fully utilize TWO cores much less eight. So Android does the exact same thing you just ripped Apple for.

----------

The upgrade to full HD screen does make a difference on a 6" screen and also high mega pixel count probably does not mean better quality pictures on a phone it does mean a picture can be blown up more without it going pixelated.

The human eye cant even detect the difference between 720p and 1080p on 50 inch HDTVs much less a 5-6 inch phone display...

coldjeanzzz
Oct 3, 2013, 01:26 PM

Anyone with eyes can see that would be embarrassing to use. I like you tried to imply I am an iPhone user just because I would be embarrassed to use the Note 3 in public

akuma13
Oct 3, 2013, 01:30 PM
I was tempted for about 5 seconds. I would rather wait for an iPad mini (retina) and a Wacom Bluetooth pen.

F123D
Oct 3, 2013, 02:12 PM
Is that really different than any other company? Look at when Android phones were 4 inch and 4.2 inch and everyone thought they were just perfect! Who would ever want a 4.7 inch or a 5 inch screen?! OMG! That would just be too big!

Actually, some of the top phones 2 years ago were 3.6", 3.7", 4.3" and 4.8". There was no perfect size.

On the other hand, apple only had 3.5" and instead of making a larger screen, sold people on the one handed use and iPhone users ate it all up.

MattMJB0188
Oct 4, 2013, 09:34 AM
You all do realize the Note 3 can be a one handed phone right? There is software that makes the screen smaller and one handed operation. I think that's pretty cool.

BTW: I never had a problem shuffling my hand around to use a large galaxy phone.

vomhorizon
Oct 23, 2013, 05:07 AM
They are essentially 2 different phones for different uses..The Phablet (N3) is great if you are into multi-tasking and using your phone as your primary go to device...Iphone 5s gives you a better form factor, one handed usage and touch ID....I used the Note 3 for a few hours (borrowed it to check it out from a freind)..All i did with the larger screen was play games and watch youtube videos..I do all this with my Ipad at home so really do not need to carry a very large phablet on me all the time (as my primary in pocket device)..On the flip side i have co-workers who use the ***** out of their note 3's with multitasking (Watching youtube while working on their email for example) so for them going to a iphone 5s is a non starter..

Its horses for courses...The Iphone5S meets the sweet spot nicely for most smartphone users that are not looking at serious gaming or media on their phones (Most use their tablets or laptops for that)....The Iphone 6 will probably upsize close to 5" than to 4" and apple may perhaps even make a phablet one day but we are really dealing with two very different devices ..

I do not hate samsung, I love all devices from all makers and loved the time i got to play around with the note-3..Its a great device for those that will really use it to the max...I would not be multi-tasking or using the S pen to all the crazy stuff it can do from my device so for me the iphone 5s is perfect for my usage..So if you are un-decided between the 5s and the GN3 you probably should go for the former, for you'd know if you really need a phablet based on your device usage.